Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:56:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 622
Total: 624

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Oral sex without ejaculation and positive result  (Read 11245 times)

Offline maldoror

• Standard
Oral sex without ejaculation and positive result
« on: May 19, 2019, 02:06:23 pm »
Hello,

In may 2017 I was tested negative for HIV. In november 2017 I had protected anal sex (receptive and insertive) and unprotected oral sex (receptive and insertive) without ejaculation. It was the first and last sexual relationship I had after the test. I don't know if the guy had HIV.

Six months later, in may 2018 my platelet count was very low (24000), but I thought I was a error since a didn't have any symptoms. Last week I made another blood test and it was still very low (16000, but I am under treatment right now). My hematologist asked for a elisa HIV test and it came back positive. I am still waiting for the western blot result.

Could the elisa test be a false positive? If not, then I somehow got HIV in unprotected oral sex without ejaculation, with the development of a chronic thrombocytopenia only 6 months after the infection?

The waiting for the WB confirmation is driving me crazy, specially because the possibility of infection looks almost impossible. I doesn't make sense.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Oral sex without ejaculation and positive result
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 02:16:58 pm »
Hiya,

Firstly I understand that having a reactive result can be a shock, but do keep in mind that is all it is.  Its not a diagnosis hence the need for more specific follow-up testing.  We do see plenty of false reactive results here, so just get the follow-up results and try not to overthink things it in the meantime.

As for giving a BJ, well its a minute risk, one we normally don't stress testing for outside of standard yearly routine screening. 

I am wondering because if i understand your post before Feb 2017 you were negative (Since you tested in May) and since Feb 2017 you only had a single sexual encounter.  Why did you test in May 2017 though? Was it routine or did something happen?

Look if you only had 1 encounter since Feb 2017 than odds are this is a false reactive result, just do the follow-up testing to confirm that.

Try to take it easy. ;)

Jim

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:37:31 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline maldoror

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 04:00:57 pm »
Thanks for the answer Jim!

The may 2017 was a routine test. Before feb 2017 I had only protected sex with other two people. I talked to them and they do regular tests, everything is ok with them. So everything points to november 2017.

What got me really afraid was the chronic thrombocytopenia, which is one of the early symptoms of HIV. But it developed too fast, and after a very very very low risk encounter. Everything looks weird for me. If I don't have HIV, my diagnostic would be immune thrombocytopenic purpura, by exclusion of everything else. So autoimmune conditions can affect the result of the test?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 04:31:29 pm »
Hiya

Antibodies HIV tests are very sensitive (A good thing) just not highly specific and, so prone to cross reaction from antibodies in relation to other current or past infections.

Now what the people claimed regarding their testing habits/results is neither  relevant now or in the past for that matter, hence always reduce your risks and presume there is one by practicing safer sex, but I will say this overall if the rest of what you posted is correct, only sex with condoms in the past and a BJ +  tested in May 17" with an approved test than the odds are very much so this is indeed nothing more than a false reactive result.  Try to relax  ;)

Anyhow once you have the confirmed results regardless of what way the result goes, you will know your HIV status for sure and, be able to move forward.  Again try not to overthink things in the meantime, as there simply is not much point in doing so.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for acquiring far easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:38:59 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline maldoror

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:27:19 pm »
Got the Western Blot result today... it was positive.

I don't know what to think. How could this be possible? One bj without ejaculation...

Any chances of false positives in western blots?

I am waiting for the viral count and CD4 results.

I simply can't believe.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 06:40:34 pm »
Hiya

False results on WB is highly rare and, until very recently it was the gold standard. Do you know what bands from the WB were reactive?

Look I've moved your thread for now but please only post in this single thread on the forum, you can ask questions here and keep us posted. Let me know when the rest of your result are in.

How you got here ultimately is not that important, giving a BJ is minute risk, could have been unlucky or some dismissed event, broken condom etc, anyhow it does not matter as the focus is on getting your results confirmed and helping you find your way forward.  Has your doctor arranged a follow-up appointment already?

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:28:10 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline maldoror

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 06:53:12 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the answer.

All bands were reactive.

Tomorrow I'll see my hematologist and an infectologist.

Last week the hematologist said that both elisa and WB could give false results in some cases of purpura, what would really count was the viral count... anyway...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 07:03:06 pm »
Hiya

You're welcome, look tomorrow you will know more. The good thing is with treatment its a very manageable condition and, there is a good chance you are picking up on the infection early.

Keep us posted, try not to overdo the thinking or stressing for now. I know that is easier said than done.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline maldoror

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 12:28:39 am »
Thanks for the answer Jim.

Just one question, while I wait for the medic tomorrow.

It's possible to develop stage 2 symptoms only 6 months after the initial infection?

Because 6 months after the possible infection I already had a chronic form of thrombocytopenia.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 02:01:12 am »
Severe thrombocytopenia is increasing rare nowadays under the HIV positive population, or to put it another way that stage of it is heading towards the same levels seen under the HIV negative population, although it can happen during during any phase of infection, and how quickly an untreated infection will progress varies

Look if you tested with an approved HIV test in 2017 than there is no reason to believe that the infection is older than that.

Take it easy.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/thrombocytopenia-low-platelets
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MrAlwaysAnxious

• I survived, and the world deserves to know that.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:08 am »
I am not sure if this helps, and I am sure you are very upset right now with the recent diagnosis -- as was I when I was diagnosed in March.

I was exposed to HIV after being sexually assaulted in February 2019, although I did not know it until I got very sick in March 2019. I had severe thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, and a fever of 103 -- along with general flu-like symptoms. I tested negative, however, on the antibodies test -- but positive on the antigen/RNA testing for HIV. I didn't test positive for antibodies until a month after diagnosis.

It is a scary time, but with medicine and treatment, those numbers should get better. My bloodwork, as of today, is completely normal only 2 months after starting treatment.
Dx: 3/15/19
CD4: 349/33% on 3/20/19
VL: 9,820,000 on 3/20/19
Rx: Started Symtuza on 3/15/19
CD4: 771/39% on 4/16/19
VL: 484 on 4/16/19

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.