Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:48:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 607
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed - Truvada/Prezcobix Feeling Like Crap  (Read 4452 times)

Offline jcmich09

Newly Diagnosed - Truvada/Prezcobix Feeling Like Crap
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »
Hello all,

I found out at the beginning of December that I am positive. I likely have been for over 5 years. Got initial blood work back: T cells at 62 and viral load over 100k. My doctor put me on Truvada and Prezcobix.

I have been on it for about 10 days now and am starting to feel worse and worse. Surprisingly, my temperature is low, but around 97. My neck has become very stuff and my glands are swollen. Is this a normal side effect, especially for someone that had very low t cell counts?

Offline Amaterasu

Re: Newly Diagnosed - Truvada/Prezcobix Feeling Like Crap
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:50:03 am »
Hey I started in July but on triumeq and it was by no exaggeration complete hell. But I stuck with it powered through it drank lots of water and after I would say a month or two my body adjusted and it got easier . hang in there it gets worse before it gets better but it does get better ... Goodluck!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »
Hello jcmich09 - welcome here.
Your post was over a week ago.  How are you doing.

A few things to keep in mind:

Its common enough for people to take a few weeks to adjust to starting HIV treatment. But eventually its also common enough for people to have little to know side effects on todays medicine.

Second - your CD4 is low so its going to take a good time for your immune system to rebuild, and there are lots of effects the immune system kicking back into high gear. The treatment is cutting your viral load down by a lot, (by what they call logs).  But that means the immune system is going to shift gears and people can get what's is called i.r.i.s - reconstitution of the immune system.

I'm glad you identified your infection and started treatment pretty quickly. I'm glad you joined the forum.

Do you have a good contact with your doctor?  If you get concerned about something, can you see your GP and or your HIV doc?  Also remember if you get worried about something you can post about it here and people will give you some feedback based on lots of experience.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 12:38:36 pm »
I forgot to ask - are you taking antibiotics?  Usually people starting treatment with low cd4 take antibiotics to prevent lung infection. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Mac2016

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 04:30:12 pm »
I can relate!!

Yeah, your body is getting adjusted. I was diagnosed in 2010 and started Triumeq this past June. I had no problem at the start of the med. Then in July, my body felt foreign to me. My stomach ached all of the time...it gurgled nonstop, my legs tingled until I thought I'd go mad. I told my doc I wanted off meds. Luckily, she talked me out of it. I had insomnia, I wasn't eating, I took some old Klonipins to sleep at night. I finally got my appetite back at the end of August.....and thankfully, it's all a memory now.

Stick with it....it does get better.

Wishing you well!

Robbie :)
12/2010  Diagnosed. CD-4 - 57  Viral Load - in the hundreds of thousands.

2011 - 2015 No Meds (BIG Mistake)

5/2015  CD-4  26                 VL  400,000
  6/2015   Started Triumeq
  7/2015   CD-4   81               VL  351
  7/2015   Diagnosed with KS...Reality Sets In.
  8/2015   CD-4   88               VL   96
  9/2015   CD-4  136              VL   59
11/2015   CD-4  143              VL   79
01/2016   CD-4  123              VL   22
(Ran a fever after surgery??)

Offline jcmich09

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 06:32:47 am »
Hey thought I'd give an update since its been a while. Was close to going to the ER as I had severe neck pain, very swollen glands, etc.

I didn't end up going and felt much better a week later. Had my first checkup and my viral load went down to 2,000!

I'm finishing my second month of Meds and unfortunately broke out in entire body hives last night so of course I'm scouring the forums again

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:20:27 am »
If you have broken out in hives it's simple go see a doctor.
Hives can have different causes some serious others harmless but self diagnosis is no good.  I would recommend seeing a doc.

I get them myself as I'm allergic to certain things like antibiotics.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline jcmich09

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »
Doc took me off Prezcobix and Dapsone. I do have a very mild sulfa allergy, so she's guessing thats why. I am starting Tivicay next.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Newly DiagnWell osed - Truvada/Prezcobix Feeling Like Crap
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 12:07:18 pm »
Well glad you spoke to the Doc and I hope you start to feel better soon.
As i said I get hives myself from time to time so i know just how unpleasant it can be.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:11:30 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.