Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VRX496 Conference Call  (Read 7626 times)

Offline joko

• Standard
VRX496 Conference Call
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:02:39 pm »
I posted about the Virxsys conference call yesterday and was curious whether anyone else happened to listen in, and if so, what their thoughts were.  For whatever reason, my post has been moved and now is buried under the heading "John2038's Research News" - which appears to be some sort of catch all topic. ???  Anyone else listen to the call?

FYI, my thoughts on the call was that it was quite positive.  There sounded to be a few unanswered questions, but to my layperson ear, Dr. Carl June's comments in particular were quite encouraging.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:17:57 pm by joko »

Offline messer

Re: VRX496 Conference Call
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:16:39 pm »
I listened in on the conference call beginning at 11:20am.   I missed the first twenty minutes because of a client in my office.   I agree with your assessment of what was presented.    Exciting would be an understatement.   Lets hope the "pivotal trial in the fall of this year" allows them to get the "conditional approval" they, and we, are wanting to see happen.    It was truly the most heartening news I've heard in a long long time.    It is wise to take overexuberant hype with a grain of salt at each new development.   But, the silence here about the telecast is deafening.   Good or bad...did anyone else listen or watch?    Certainly, there are some experts on board who would like to share their opinions.     Not to worry, I have my salt shaker nearby!       

Offline joko

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:32:06 pm »
messer: Thanks for your reply.  In fact, you didn't miss a thing.  Despite their plan to begin at 11:00, the call didn't get going until around at least 11:15.  Being conservative by nature, I'm not prone to hyperbole, overhyped expectations, or excessive irrational exuberance  :D.  That said, it was encouraging.

I was actually hoping to see some devil's advocate positions on here from people with far more scientific wherewithal than me, but you're correct; the silence has been deafening!

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:58:25 pm »
Nelson from the body.com wrote:

Martin

Yes, I was on the call. Very exciting data. VIRxSYS has done some small phase I and II studies infusing CD4 cells that contain a lentivirus "vector" (inactivated virus) called VRX496 that is derived from HIV-1 itself but has the disease-causing elements removed. VIRxSYS used this vector to deliver RNA antisense targeting the HIV envelope and observed that VRX496 appeared to cause wild type HIV particles to lose their envelopes. Additionally, the in vivo pressure delivered by a patient's own modified cells led to impaired and less replicative virions (making the virus crippled.) Treatment with VRX496 appeared to have a measurable effect on the replicative fitness of HIV for up to three years following just one infusion. I was impressed by the CD4 cell count increase in some patients after a few weeks of an infusion.

They have an issue that they need to address. Measuring viral load is not very accurate since it does not tell you what viruses are "crippled" and which ones are infectious. So they will probably develop a test to determine that. Also, there was a question asked by our immune bazsed treatment activist Richard Jeffrey about the quality of the CD4 cells and if they were actually a product of the newly infused cells.

I am very excited about this and other gene therapy products being researched right now. We are about to enter a "dry period" in new oral drug approvals, but it seems that we are now entering a new era of immune based therapies. I really think the answer to controlling this disease is in this area. Of course, I am following it closely since I have multi-drug resistance.

I wish VIRxSYS a lot of success. We need this kind of therapies!

Thanks for the question

Nelson
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline leit

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:34 am »
Is there a transcript or a recording (I unsuccessfully tried YouTube) anywhere, please?
Thank you!

Offline auspoz

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 06:40:55 am »
Hello.

Very heartening to hear this reasoned endorsement from one of "The Body" experts.

Auspoz

Offline joko

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:20:36 am »
leit: I'll see what I can do by giving VIRxSYS a call on Monday.  I did ask the conf call provider but unfortunately they did not record it.

Offline leit

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 02:58:11 pm »
leit: I'll see what I can do by giving VIRxSYS a call on Monday.

Thank you!!! :)

I did ask the conf call provider but unfortunately they did not record it.

What a pity!

Offline Jake72

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 05:04:13 pm »
 Lets hope the "pivotal trial in the fall of this year" allows them to get the "conditional approval" they, and we, are wanting to see happen.         

Interesting news. Sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm obviously not a medical or FDA regulations expert, and I missed out on the conference call), but, if this pivotal trial yields strong results, what exactly would the "conditional approval" be for?  Would it be for additional, larger studies or for actual clinical use? 

Thanks for the clarification!

Offline messer

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:28:57 pm »
In the context of the results of the ongoing phase 2 trials and what was being discussed, I took it to mean they would ask for "conditional approval"  to be for clinical use or distribution while the VIRXSYS496 continues to be tested in clinical trials.   

Offline Anna Karenina

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:37:39 pm »
Is there somewhere we can access a recording of this call or does anyone have the name of the published material, authors etc?

Cheers

Offline joko

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 01:54:27 pm »
As mentioned above, the conference call provider does not have a link or a recording.  This morning I emailed one of the call's two primary participants, Gary McGarrity, PhD, Executive Vice President for Scientific Affairs, VIRxSYS to see if I could get a recording.  When I hear back from him, I'll post it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:01:27 pm by joko »

Offline joko

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:27 pm »
Anna, one other thing.  The other person on the call was Dr. Carl June, MD, Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, who, although while certainly actively involved with this project, disclosed at the onset that he has no paid position or financial stake in VIRxSYS.  The reason I mention Dr. June is because if you Google VRX496 and Carl June or VIRxSYS and Carl June you will come up with some of his past comments on this technology.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:07:08 pm by joko »

Offline Anna Karenina

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:40:24 pm »
thanks very much joko I might try e-mailing the Dr and seeing if he can send me some stuff

:)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.