Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 395
Total: 396

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV + Tourist, Wanting Visa to Visit Dubai  (Read 30361 times)

Offline urovoro

HIV + Tourist, Wanting Visa to Visit Dubai
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:41:48 pm »
Has someone on this forum visited Dubai as a short term tourist?

I want to visit in the coming months for a weekend. I heard I can apply for a visa upon entry, but that I might be tested for HIV immediately. My viral load is currently low as I started medication, and I might be undetectable by the time I travel. Another issue is traveling with my meds to UAE.

I went to Egypt last year and I didnt have any problems at all. At the same time I didn't involve myself romantically with locals in case I was arrested and tested by the police.

I prefer responses from people who have actually traveled to Dubai or who know the law.

thank you!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: HIV + Tourist, Wanting Visa to Visit Dubai
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:33 pm »
On a technical note:  an HIV+ person with undetectable viral load is still HIV+ on all tests.  Your thinking is screwed. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:13 am »
Hi Urovoro, welcome to the forums.

Hiv tests are only required when a person is applying to work or reside in the UAE. It looks like you shouldn't have a problem if you're only planning on being there for a weekend - but you might have a problem if you're taking hiv meds into the country.

There are no health checks at the border, no health certificates must be presented on entry. Short term stays are therefore possible, however not free of risk. It is not allowed to import antiretroviral medication for personal use. source

You might find the US Government webpage on travel to the UAE helpful, and you may also find the Canadian Government webpage helpful as well.

I'm not sure how you'd go about getting your meds through customs - you'd be risking deportation if they find your hiv meds and actually know what they're for. Good luck!

PS - I just realised you posted this in the Off Topic forum. I've moved your thread to the Living forum as Off Topic is only for subjects that have nothing to do with hiv. :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:55:14 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline urovoro

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:37 am »
Mecch, I am still new at being positive, and there is so much information to know. It was pointed out to me yesterday that being undetectable does not mean that I would appear as negative on quick tests.

and

Thank you Ann, I asked my local HIV resources centre and they concurred with your answer. I am also not sure how I should sneak my meds past immigration, I would feel silly (to say the least) doing this. I just became undetectable and I don't want to stop taking my medication just for a short trip. I hate that I feel somewhat like a criminal just for being positive (but maybe this is just a dramatic statement).
thank you for your in-depth answer! 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:54:20 am by urovoro »

Offline songs06

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:51 am »
Anti HIV tests (also called ELISA) are not looking for virus but antibodies produced by your body to stop HIV. (Like they could!) They will present, as long as you have even UD viral load. Rapid tests also look for this Anti-HIV antibodies, so you will test positive. If they do a very expensive PCR test for your viral load in the entry, so you might test negative. But i don't think that's the case.

But i don't think you will have a problem about crossing the border. If you think there might be a risk, put you meds in another secured, moisture free, drug box (like some kind of peptic ulcer medicine box or heart medicine if you can find) and tell you have heart condition or peptic ulcer etc.. This is also risky but i don't think they will try to test the drugs inside it, if you don't bring like 2-3 boxes. If you also have a prescription for this another condition, it would be easier to prove. But do not stop taking medicine because of this trip!
18.03.2012 - infected.
14.04.2012 - first positive elisa - UD western blot
30.04.2012 - western blot confirmation positive
03.05.2012 - first lab- CD4: 256   VL: 2.3 M
01.06.2012 - sec lab- CD4: 390 (end of ARS)
01.07.2012 - third lab- CD4: 388 VL: 150.000
11.07.2012 - Started Truvada + Kaletra
04.08.2012 - CD4: 401 VL: 3800
30.09.2012 - CD4: 510 VL: 709
04.01.2013 - CD4: 650 VL: UD! (aka 20)
01.04.2013 - CD4: 460 VL: UD
09.2013 - CD4: 510
02.2014 - CD4: 490

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 05:41:02 am »
urovoro, keep in mind that they cannot search the belongings of every single person entering the country. If you are very careful to not pack anything that could cause them to search your bags (ie something that might look odd on the x-rays) and if you keep a low-key, low-profile while going through customs chances are that they're not going to bother with you. Don't give them any reason to look at you twice.

A word to the wise - just as many places employ "racial profiling" when deciding who to search or question, places like UAE are likely to also employ a different type of profiling. They may look for "stereotypical gay" behaviour. While I do not agree with this practice, it has to be acknowledged that it does go on.

I remember reading an article years ago about hiv positive gay men trying to gain entry into the US (when poz people could not enter). It was written by a gay British man who had been there, done that and witnessed a very camp mate of his being pulled and searched for hiv meds. Fortunately, his mate wasn't poz but the the guy who wrote the article was, and was shitting himself that he'd be next and his meds would be discovered. He got through successfully.

His take-away lesson was if you're a "screaming queen" (HIS words, NOT mine!) that you need to tone it way down while going through customs if you don't want to be profiled. I vividly remember the article, but I cannot locate it online. It was in a now-defunct publication, so that's probably why.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04:31 am »
Very good points Ann. I agree and have seen and witnessed racial profiling at the airport were I live, a big one with 20 million pax a year.

Since drug mules and smuggling is quite common here, blacks are often pulled aside and searched for no apparent reason.

I have friends working in the airport as well and they agree that the searches aren't random, they have profiles which are more likely to carry something illegal,enter with false passport or just belong to a minority.
This isn't really in the training manual for new employees but rather a working place attitude which many feel they are forced to accept in order to continue working and gain acceptance of the senior staff.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 07:19:04 am »

This isn't really in the training manual for new employees but rather a working place attitude which many feel they are forced to accept in order to continue working and gain acceptance of the senior staff.

Very true. And in a place like UAE where the prevalent attitude is homophobic, sometimes anti-Western, and where hiv meds will get you deported, you can bet gay-profiling goes on even if it's not openly acknowledged or in the training manual. It went on in the US during the poz travel ban, so it's no stretch of the imagination that it goes on in a place like UAE. It's not fair that gay men are targeted with the assumption of being poz, but it happens.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Rockin

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:18:28 am »
It's actually such a sad thought that HIV+ under treatment simply cannot go to some places in the world. Let's say I'd get called for a job transfer...in Dubai. How can you get HIV treatment in Dubai? I can guess that it's probably not an easy thing to do, is it?

But for a tourist trip in a place like that (Arab or Asian), I do think that it's better to put all your meds on a vitamin supplement flask, that's what I'd do...they probably won't ask any questions even if they find the damn thing. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:41:56 am »

Let's say I'd get called for a job transfer...in Dubai. How can you get HIV treatment in Dubai? I can guess that it's probably not an easy thing to do, is it?

Didn't you read the thread? As a foreign national, you cannot work or be a resident in UAE (Dubai is in UAE) without first taking an hiv antibody test and testing negative. Mate, you're not going to test negative so you would not be permitted to work there, meds or no meds.

They do not test people going to UAE for short vacation stays, but if they catch you with hiv meds on you (even if you're only there for a short time), you're shown the door.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »
I do think that it's better to put all your meds on a vitamin supplement flask, that's what I'd do...they probably won't ask any questions even if they find the damn thing.

If.... just if that particular customs officer is zealous, bored or suspicious enough, he/she can google the imprint on the pill, and your secret is revealed. Example: " image pill TMC 400mg "

I just tested it out with the following pills; Prezista, Truvada, Telzir and Viread. Norvir only has the Abbott logo and the letters N & K.

;)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:03:07 pm »
Very true. And in a place like UAE where the prevalent attitude is homophobic, sometimes anti-Western, and where hiv meds will get you deported, you can bet gay-profiling goes on even if it's not openly acknowledged or in the training manual.

Hmm.  :-\ My experience, on my one brief trip a few years ago, was smooth sailing. Of course, I was undiagnosed & I'm not Western. About 80% of Dubai's population is expatriate, of whom the majority are Indians. Hindi/Urdu is widely spoken (I'm a native speaker), including by many of the Arabs there. I  blended in easily.

I know some 'screaming queens' who live in Dubai and seem to be having a great time there. As long as you don't advertise your sexuality in red neon lights you'll be fine.

I really don't think most people in Dubai would even know what the telltale signs of the 'stereotypical western gay man' are; it wouldn't have crept into their range of consciousness. Unlike in the West, People in Arab countries would generally not deduce a man is gay if he's effeminate, mainly because homosexuality is swept under the carpet, out of clear view. Whether people in the airport are privy to some special info on this issue is another matter.

I also don't think it is an anti-western city; it is by far the most westernized city in the Gulf though.

Of course, if you're carrying meds for a brief trip then I guess you've got to be vigilant.

As an aside, my impression of the place is a 'giant mall in the desert'.  ;)

Safe travels.  :)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Rockin

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 07:46:22 pm »
Didn't you read the thread? As a foreign national, you cannot work or be a resident in UAE (Dubai is in UAE) without first taking an hiv antibody test and testing negative. Mate, you're not going to test negative so you would not be permitted to work there, meds or no meds.

They do not test people going to UAE for short vacation stays, but if they catch you with hiv meds on you (even if you're only there for a short time), you're shown the door.

Nope, I didn`t know that, or didn't remember. Well, I'll add this to the "Things You Cannot Do Anymore If You're HIV+"...next to  "cannot give a blood transfusion". I'm glad working in Dubai was never in the cards for me anyway.

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:38 pm »
Rockin - some countries have banned visitors and/or workers who are HIV+.  Google for the lists.

That said, you did ask about getting HIV meds.  Many of these countries do treat their own citizens who ARE hiv+.  They just don't accept foreigners who are HIV+.  In Saudi Arabia a Saudi citizen can be treated for HIV.  But a HIV+ foreigner is deported.

Didn't you know the USA was for many years one of the nations that in principal did not allow visitors with HIV?  Until Obama removed the ban.
http://immigration.about.com/od/immigrationlawandpolicy/a/HIV_Travel_Ban_Hub.htm
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 11:54:07 pm »
There are certain places that I would not go to even if all expenses were paid. One is Dubai and the other is Jamaica.   I would go to Egypt, in fact I hope to go one day to see the great pyramids.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:38:50 am »
There are certain places that I would not go to even if all expenses were paid. One is Dubai and the other is Jamaica.   I would go to Egypt, in fact I hope to go one day to see the great pyramids.

Next month I'll be moving to London to do a one year MBA but my school has units on other countries as well and they allow you to rotate to another city after 9 months. Dubai was one of the options but, regardless of HIV, I wasn't really considering it. They also have units in Shanghai and San Francisco. I was always more tempted to go to San Fran because everyone says the city is amazing...and living expenses are much cheaper than London anyway.

Shanghai would be a very interesting experience but I think I won't be able to get proper treatment there so I'm pretty much discarding this option.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:29 am »
You might ask yourself if you want to take the risks involved; if you put your meds in another container and lie about your condition and you are found out, even if the risk is small, the time you will spend in jail until these meds are checked and you are deported will be between 4-8 weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:53 am »
Personally, I refuse to travel to any country that vilifies and denies entry to people whose only crime is living with a preventable and treatable virus. I refused to travel to the US while their hiv travel ban was still in effect, even though I am an American citizen and it wouldn't applied to me. (I'm an ex-pat living in the UK.)

Why should I contribute to their economy with my tourist dollars (pounds/euros/insert local currency here)? I'd much rather spend my money in a country who accepts me, hiv and all.

But that's just me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:02:21 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline elf

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 08:56:23 am »
The only way you can ''visit'' Dubai is by changing planes (not going thru immigration).

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 09:14:19 am »
I have traveled all over the world WITH my medications and have never experienced a problem.  I even traveled to Beirut, Lebanon, West Africa, all over the Caribbean and South America.  Not one time has an immigration picked up the bottle and said, "what's this for?"  I believe that UAE grants the tourist visa upon arrival anyway for stays less than 60 days.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 09:21:33 am »
ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: U.S. citizens are subject to all UAE immigration laws, which can be complex and demanding. U.S. citizens should familiarize themselves with such laws before traveling to or residing in the UAE. A passport is required to enter the UAE. For personal travel of 30 days or fewer, U.S. citizens holding valid tourist passports may obtain visitor visas at the port of entry for no fee. For stays longer than 30 days, all travelers must obtain a visa before arrival in the UAE. In addition, a full medical exam is required for work or residence permits and includes an HIV/AIDS test. Testing must be performed after arrival; a U.S. HIV/AIDS test is not accepted. U.S. citizens have been detained and deported for testing positive for HIV or hepatitis. Please verify this information with the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates before you travel. It is located at 3522 International Court, NW, Washington, DC 20037, telephone (202) 243-2400. Visit the Embassy of the United Arab Emirates website for the most current visa information

It sounds as though they only test for HIV if working there and staying longer than 30 days.  Put your HIV medications in a "regular" pharmacy bottle.  If asked, which they won't, it's hypertension medication.
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 12:23:24 pm »
  Put your HIV medications in a "regular" pharmacy bottle.  If asked, which they won't, it's hypertension medication.

Another option would be to put them in empty vitamin bottles.  That way if you have different ones you can put them in different types of bottles. But that's only if your employer sends you there for a week or you have to go with family members and don't want to disclose to them why you can't go.  Best choice is not to go at all.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:25:25 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »
Another option would be to put them in empty vitamin bottles. 

I would imagine that if your meds do get closely scrutinised by custom officials, they're going to be a helluva lot more pissed off with you if you've obviously tried to hide what you have from them - after all, it's a type of fraud. It's always recommended that you travel with ANY meds in their original containers. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble on top of trouble.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline urovoro

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 02:47:40 am »
I asked another local Aids organization and the peer-support worker (who is Iranian-born and has travelled to Dubai) said that if I got caught I could be deported immediately to my country of citizenship. I have a Canadian passport but I am doing a fellowship in Germany, and I could not afford to be deported to Canada and then pay my way back to Europe.

This is a sad moment for me. Soon after I tested positive I swore to not let this illness stop me from things. But so far I have had to stop dating a man I was starting to really like. I also rearranged my life so I could live in places with good health care. And now I can't go on nice little trip to Dubai  :(  I know there are worse situations than mine, and I shouldn't complain. I also previously considered doing a school exchange in UAE, guess that option's now out!

PS: I guess I am campy by North American standards, but I don't think these standards are universal. I have blended in nicely in many parts of the world.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 02:52:31 am by urovoro »

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:46 am »
The world is your oyster.  There a few countries and a few people who can't deal with you being HIV+ so you should rethink how "nice" those countries and people are and then stop thinking about them entirely and enjoy the possible.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 10:37:36 am »
But so far I have had to stop dating a man I was starting to really like. I also rearranged my life so I could live in places with good health care. And now I can't go on nice little trip to Dubai 

Why did you "had" to stop dating this man? He rejected you after you disclosed your status?

And I think you might be looking at the glass half-empty. You can still live and work in any country in South and North America and Europe, provided the proper visa status. So yeah, some countries in the Middle East and Asia are off limits but oh well, you win some you lose some. You can still go to Dubai as a tourist.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:58 am »

You can still go to Dubai as a tourist.

Only if he doesn't get caught with his hiv meds, which he doesn't want to discontinue taking for the sake of a weekend visit. Do you seriously read the threads you comment in? I'm beginning to wonder.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline elf

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:07 am »

And I think you might be looking at the glass half-empty. You can still live and work in any country in South and North America and Europe, provided the proper visa status.
An HIV test is mandatory for a longer stay in Canada (>6 months).

Offline LM

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »
Why go to Dubai? Visit other places. If it's absolutely necessary, I don't know, ask a doctor to prescribe hypertension medicine, put the meds inside containers for that, along with a prescription and go, if that's possible, like someone said.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »
Only if he doesn't get caught with his hiv meds, which he doesn't want to discontinue taking for the sake of a weekend visit. Do you seriously read the threads you comment in? I'm beginning to wonder.

Yes Ann I do. IF he gets caught is a big IF. He might be willing to take his chances.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:57 am »
I still don't understand why anyone would willingly travel - as a tourist - to a country who treats those of us living with hiv as undesirables and less-than-human criminals.

I can understand having a conundrum if one needs - needs - to go there for a work related trip or if that's the only place one can get certain aspects of their education, but to willingly subject yourself to all the fear and anxiety of being deported (and humiliated) while attempting to go through customs just seems to be ... dunno. The definition of insanity perhaps. Don't forget that if you do get deported, you're likely to end up with a stamp in your passport saying you were denied entry, and that will possibly give you hassle when traveling to other countries.

And as far as Dubai goes, I don't get the attraction, but I admit that's just subjective on my part. Sure, it's an ultra-modern city wrested from the desert, but at what cost to how many minorities who work for peanuts producing even more wealth for the already obscenely wealthy. The whole thing - including their hiv travel ban - just rubs me the wrong way and it's one of the last places on earth I'd want to visit. It's a great place for a lay-over (it's often a lay-over spot for Europeans traveling to destinations in the Far East), but I wouldn't want to visit there.  But that's just me.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I refused to travel to the US while they still had an hiv travel ban in place even though as US passport holder, I would not have been subjected to the law. It was the principal of the thing. If people I live with in the UK couldn't travel there solely because of their hiv, I wasn't going to either. Solidarity!

Urovoro - I'm curious. What's the attraction of Dubai for you? I'm not wanting to give you a hard time about it, I'm genuinely curious. Maybe there's something about the place I've missed and I'm always open to changing my mind about things.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Valmont

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 11:15:55 am »
An HIV test is mandatory for a longer stay in Canada (>6 months).

Yes, they ask for a test but don´t deny the access to this country for HIV condition.  My permanent visa to this country has been approved when I knew and declared I had HIV.  The matter for them is in regard to cost for their health system for new immigrants.  If the OP has paper from this country, then, no problem at all....

In regard to Iran, are the restrictions same as Dubay for tourism in regard to HIV condition?  I checked an info in the link that was given, but it is quite old...

Edit to add that I may go to Iran for work matters with an Ecuadorian passport...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:18:51 am by Valmont »
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline elf

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 06:32:33 am »
Well, yes and no...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:36:00 am by elf »

Offline elf

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:07 am »
If you have let's say 10 millions (USD or euro or GBP)...Canada and Australia will accept you as an immigrant. But many people don't have this money. I doubt they would give me a resident visa even though in my country you are given HIV meds every 12 months if you live abroad (and they can even send them to you thru FEDEX, if you can't come to pick them up).

Offline Valmont

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 11:20:25 am »
Well, it is not the sujet of the thread, sorry, but in regard to Canada you can have HIV and have a permanent visa, I´ve done it and I´m not the only one on this forum... and I don´t have 10 millions...

There are some conditions but HIV itself does not exclude your from that country at it can do it in regard to those from Arabic Golfe...
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:01 am »

Edit to add that I may go to Iran for work matters with an Ecuadorian passport...

It doesn't seem that Iran has any travel restrictions for hiv positive people. It does not appear on the UNAIDS 2012 list of HIV-related restrictions on entry, stay and residence. You can read the document here (it's a PDF file): http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/factsheet/2012/20120724CountryList_TravelRestrictions_July2012.pdf

Here are some links you may find useful...

http://iran.visahq.com/requirements/Ecuador/

http://iran.visahq.ca/requirements/Ecuador/resident-Canada/

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline friskyguy

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 02:37:42 am »
....... I doubt they would give me a resident visa even though in my country you are given HIV meds every 12 months if you live abroad (and they can even send them to you thru FEDEX, if you can't come to pick them up).

if I may slightly go 'off track' here to ask Elf the following;
Elf your country's support to you is commendable......where are you from?
Sero converted Sept '10 / Confirmed + Dec '10
Jan '11, VL 9,500 / CD4 482 (32%)
Feb '11, VL 5,800 / CD4 680 (37%)
start Atripla
Mch '11, VL UD / CD4 700 (42%)
Jun  '11, VL UD / CD4 750 (43%)
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )
start supplements - Vit D3 / Omega 3 / multivitamin / mini aspirin
Dec '11,  VL UD <20 /  CD4 670 (49%)  / CD4:CD8 = 1.4
all labs now within normal ranges
Mch '12,  VL UD / CD4 600 (51%)
Sep '12,  VL UD / CD4 810 (51%)
Mch '13   VL UD / CD4 965 (56%)
Sep '13   VL UD / CD4 (not taken)
Dec '13   VL UD / CD4 901 (35%) / CD4:CD8 = 1.1  /  eGFR > 100

Offline wanderer37

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
It doesn't seem that Iran has any travel restrictions for hiv positive people. It does not appear on the UNAIDS 2012 list of HIV-related restrictions on entry, stay and residence. You can read the document here (it's a PDF file): http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/factsheet/2012/20120724CountryList_TravelRestrictions_July2012.pdf

That map appears to show China as having no restrictions. I thought they had restrictions on stays over 6 months. Does anyone know if this has changed recently?

edit- that map seems very optimistic, China, South Korea and Indoneisa all showing as green (no restriction on entry, residence, stay etc). I know people who have had to have HIV tests in all 3 of those countries over the last 4 months to gain a work permit.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:59:09 am by wanderer37 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:25 am »
That map appears to show China as having no restrictions. I thought they had restrictions on stays over 6 months. Does anyone know if this has changed recently?

edit- that map seems very optimistic, China, South Korea and Indoneisa all showing as green (no restriction on entry, residence, stay etc). I know people who have had to have HIV tests in all 3 of those countries over the last 4 months to gain a work permit.

Hmmm, I would have thought that if any organisation had their facts correct, it would be UNAIDS. The document in question is dated July 2012, so it should be up to date.

As for China, didn't they relax their policy when they had the Olympics in 2008?

And about the people you know who had to have hiv tests in order to get work permits, do you know if that was a requirement of the company they wanted to work for, or if it was for a government work visa? Two different things.

I know that on the Isle of Man, people who have not been ordinary residents for five years have to obtain work permits, but their employer has to apply to the government on their behalf and they can conceivably require any sort of tests or hurdles they want to before they will make the application. I know of one company who insists prospective employees take and pass a physical (not sure if hiv tests are included) before they will bother applying for a work permit for you. Maybe this is what has gone on with the people you know.

I suppose if anyone wanted clarification, they could get in touch with Susan Timberlake. From the bottom of the document;

For technical/policy information, please contact: Susan Timberlake  Tel: +41 79 500 6517
e-mail: timberlakes@unaids.org

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 11:21:24 am »
Here in South East Asia ( Thai, Laos, Cambodia
etc) some employers check for HIV, I know people who still
got jobs despite being poz. In Thailand HIV is not included in the medical check required to obtain a work permit but TB is.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline wanderer37

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 11:36:13 am »
Hmmm, I would have thought that if any organisation had their facts correct, it would be UNAIDS. The document in question is dated July 2012, so it should be up to date.

As for China, didn't they relax their policy when they had the Olympics in 2008?

And about the people you know who had to have hiv tests in order to get work permits, do you know if that was a requirement of the company they wanted to work for, or if it was for a government work visa? Two different things.

I know that on the Isle of Man, people who have not been ordinary residents for five years have to obtain work permits, but their employer has to apply to the government on their behalf and they can conceivably require any sort of tests or hurdles they want to before they will make the application. I know of one company who insists prospective employees take and pass a physical (not sure if hiv tests are included) before they will bother applying for a work permit for you. Maybe this is what has gone on with the people you know.

I suppose if anyone wanted clarification, they could get in touch with Susan Timberlake. From the bottom of the document;

For technical/policy information, please contact: Susan Timberlake  Tel: +41 79 500 6517
e-mail: timberlakes@unaids.org

It was for work permits, also check this link also July 2012.  http://m.voanews.com/1441789.html

Indoneisa for example has tests for foreign teachers. I know cos I had to leave in June. My wife is still there and joining me in the Uk soon and she had to take a test last week (she is neg).

That would imply some form of restriction.

Offline Valmont

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 05:27:41 pm »

Thanks a lot Ann, this is really useful, I was surprised, but well, it seems really Iran don´t have restriction in regard to HIV for turism...

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:37 am »
Thanks a lot Ann, this is really useful, I was surprised, but well, it seems really Iran don´t have restriction in regard to HIV for turism...

Hmm, perhaps Iran don't stipulate any restrictions on paper but I wonder how things pan out in practice in the event a tourist's homosexuality or positivity comes to light to the authorities. They have a zero tolerance towards homosexuals, let alone +ive people. I for one think it's more risky to travel there than to Dubai.

I genuinely hope I am wrong on this count.

That said, I know a poz guy who went there on a 3 week long trip post-HIV diagnosis (but before starting treatment). He was fine. He just never raised the topic and it never came up or flared into an issue for anyone.

Safe travels Valmont.  :)
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Valmont

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:40 pm »
Well in regard to many things Iran is a worst country in comparation with Dubai...  But it is important to be as discret as possible in these countries, I´ve been several times in complicated countries and Middle East, people is very friendy when you have a neutral attitude and they can be safer than part of USA or Europe...  Would be there in 2013 probably..

Offline Rockin

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 08:05:44 am »
Well in regard to many things Iran is a worst country in comparation with Dubai...  But it is important to be as discret as possible in these countries, I´ve been several times in complicated countries and Middle East, people is very friendy when you have a neutral attitude and they can be safer than part of USA or Europe...  Would be there in 2013 probably..

After the whole Pussy Riot debacle, I'm thinking now that the worst place for any person is Russia. So if you say bad things about the president or the church you get 2 years of jail time??? If Hitler was alive he would be Putin's BFF, I'm afraid. I refuse to step foot in Russia, regardless of how beautiful the country may be.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 08:06:42 am »
Oh and apparently they banned gay pride parade for 100 years...is that correct? I read that somewhere...it does seem ludicrous but who knows?

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »
Hi there,

I agree with Ann, We do not have the need to expose to an expulsion or something worst just for going to do some tourism to a country that does not accept our entrance.

In places such as Dubai, China, many African countries, Russia, maybe you can risk to enter as a tourist only if you are not yet on meds so you can pass as anyone undiagnosed.

But travelling with meds requires being aware of the problems you may find on the way. Storing meds in a common "hypertension" or "cholesterol" pill container is not a good idea. Customs authorities (as they do, for instance, in Australia) usually may call a doctor or a lab technician in order to take a sample of pills and test for the substances in it.

In my opinion, it is better to go with the original cans, and a medical dossier or recipe from your hospital or doctor.

I travel a lot due to my job, and, even travelling within my country, in Spain, once, during a domestic flight, at the boarding control in the airport, the police asked me what were those pills for. Of course I had no problem at all, just showed them the recipe from the hospital's pharmacy service and it was all OK. In 2011 had the same experience, at Lyon airport in France, coming back home to Madrid (also considered as a domestic-national flight).

They search for illegal drugs and similars, and there are "hot" flights, or hot periods or destinations along the year. Maybe if you carry the pills for just a couple of days, they won't even check, but if they detect you carry pills for half a month or a month, due to the quantity of meds, maybe then they could ask or check your luggage or documents.

So, the best is the original pill cans or blisters, a medical dossier or a pharmacy recipe or sheet, and telling the truth when asked. And avoid no poz-friendly countries.

The world becomes narrower when living with HIV...

8)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline mecch

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 09:28:32 am »
I love sky scrapers and just read a lot about the Burj Khalifa.
I found many pictures of different interiors, lobbies, the so called gardens, etc etc. 
There isn't anything distinctive about it, besides the 1 thing, being astoundingly tall.  There is some decor that is trashy fun because its luxury arab style, and theres a lot more that is soulessly international with some luxury finishes that are basically ugly.  I know of dozens and dozens of towers in New York and other American cities with more soul than this kind of new fangled tower like the Burj.

I never expected all the new development in Dubai would add up to anything beautiful. I always expected it would be flashy, trashy, and fun to consider how wasteful and silly the gigantic construction project is. Maybe some interesting things to think about if you are an engineer.

The only towers I was ever interested to see in the middle east were the Pyramids and the ancient tower cities of Yemen.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/manhattan-desert-yemen-ancient-mud-skycraper-city/17071

I saw the Pyramids, and in fact everything about Egypt has great soul, great depth and Cairo is a fantastic city. 

There are many reasons Yemen is not a place I will be able to soon visit and thats a pity.  So while I regret Yemen, I certainly don't think much about Dubai being on no visit list.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:30:44 am by mecch »

Offline urovoro

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54:47 pm »
This post has gotten a life of it's own!

As to architecture: world famous architectural firms have built the sky line of Dubai. I know that major universities take their architecture students on study trips to the city. It seems novel things are going on.

But architecture not the reason why I wanted to go to Dubai, it was to see an old friend whom I can not visit in his country (which doesn't grant tourist visas). But upon much self questioning I've decided not to go and risk the hassle of being discovered with my pills. I am stressed enough with trying to get health insurance as an HIV + international student in Germany, but that's another post (in the insurance section).

Offline MTanic

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2012, 09:35:47 pm »
I refused to travel to the US while their hiv travel ban was still in effect, even though I am an American citizen and it wouldn't applied to me. (I'm an ex-pat living in the UK.)

Wow, for this, I have to send you a huge kiss :*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.