Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:05:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773164
  • Total Topics: 66330
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 251
Total: 252

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: negative labcorp icma antibody at 60 days  (Read 8919 times)

Offline jtb

negative labcorp icma antibody at 60 days
« on: December 10, 2011, 11:31:12 am »
Almost six weeks ago I had brief unprotected vaginal sex with female of unknown status after condom failure. I understand that tests are conclusive after 3 months but I can't wait that long.

1. had a flu vaccine about 2 months ago. I heard these could trigger a false positive. How likely is it for this to occur on a blood test sent to a lab? I am testing next week 6 weeks after incident. I do not want to deal with false positive.

2. Suppose there is a positive elisa at 6 weeks and an indeterminate western blot. Does this mean I would most likely be positive?

3. Suppose there is a postive elisa at 6 weeks and and a negative western blot? Is it too early to determine status?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Some testing questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:40:30 am »
A conclusive negative test is one done 3 months post exposure and a western blot is only used to confirm a positive result.

edited for spelling:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:41:59 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:22:20 pm »
jtb,

1. Not very likely.

2. Possibly.

3. The WB will usually be positive at the same time as a standard antibody test. However, a negative result cannot be confirmed until the three month point.

If your result is negative, you will still have to confirm at the three month point. Sorry, there are no short-cuts to hiv testing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jtb

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »
Thanks Ann. Are false positives not very likely on blood sent to a lab regardless of the cause?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »
jtb,

Most labs will either retest the sample and test with a WB if the second result is also positive, and some will go straight to testing the sample with a WB. Some places might have you submit a second sample for re-testing. You'll have to ask where you test at which procedure they use.

While false positives do happen, they're not terribly common.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jtb

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »
One more question I forgot to ask. The testing center I called said they send the blood to a lab and get the results the next day. They said the lab does elisa confirmed by WB. Isn't the next day rather quick especially with a positive elisa? Doesn't the WB take longer?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 01:12:07 pm »
jtb,

No, a one-day turn-around on doing both the elisa and WB is perfectly acceptable. When I tested poz, the turn-around was a little less than 24 hours.

It might be a viral load test that you're thinking of - they can take up to two weeks to be returned. You don't need viral load testing unless you test positive on both the elisa and the WB.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtb

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:19 pm »
OK thanks for all the clear and helpful answers.

Offline jtb

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »
Yet another question I forgot to ask. About 3 weeks after incident I had a mild sore throat for about ten days. A day after sore throat healed I developed white patches on top of tongue. I realize these could be due to any number of causes. However if they are due to seroconversion would the test automatically detect the antibodies at 5 - 6 weeks post exposure? In other words if negative I could rule out that these were ars symptoms?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:40:04 pm »
Yet another question I forgot to ask. About 3 weeks after incident I had a mild sore throat for about ten days. A day after sore throat healed I developed white patches on top of tongue. I realize these could be due to any number of causes. However if they are due to seroconversion would the test automatically detect the antibodies at 5 - 6 weeks post exposure? In other words if negative I could rule out that these were ars symptoms?
Reread Ann's reply, ("reply #2")

Offline jtb

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:13:34 pm »
My icma lab test from lab corp came back negative at 5 weeks 3 days. I know I still need further testing to be conclusuve.

My test never went to western blot but I was worried because the tester told me the results would be back in 24 hours. It took almost 48 hours. I thought maybe a western blot was holding it up. How long does it take after intitial positive for a confirmatory western blot  a lab such as lab corp? Would it be done right away and would how long would the test take. How much longer would it take for the results? Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
Labs run on their own schedules and it is a mistake to interpret a slow or delayed result as a sign of a test gone positive.

JB, I notice that you have posted an entry in another member's thread. Only those authorized by the site are allowed to respond to other members. Please follow our rule and only post entries in your own thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline jtb

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 03:07:43 pm »
Andy, sorry I forgot about the rule. So you are saying that a western blot alone would not cause significant delay? Also I read that most have detectable antibodies at 4-6 weeks. If someone had ars symptoms would they more likely have antibodies at this period? Is there a correlation among seroconversion, ars symptoms and detectable antibodies? Again I know I am still within the window period.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:48 pm »
Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms should ever be interpreted to indicate HIV status. The symptoms of ARS often are very similar to other health issues, so symptoms are just not a reliable way to judge.

Only an HIV test taken at the right time can give the answer you want reliably. At 6 weeks all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so and will test positive. A negative at 6 weeks is an indication the person will likely continue to test negative at 3 months.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »
jtb,

You seem to have a difficult time remembering things you've read here. Aside from "forgetting about the rule" (I deleted that post, btw. Don't do it again.) you are forgetting what you've already been told about WB testing. Go read your ENTIRE thread again until it sinks in.

They would not have run a WB because your antibody test was negative. WB is only run following a positive antibody result.

The illness that sometimes accompanies seroconversion is not due to the virus itself, it is due to the process the body goes through while creating antibodies. So yes, if your illness had anything to do with hiv, you most likely would have tested positive at your last test, or indeterminate at the very least. Not negative.

You are highly unlikely to go one to test positive when you confirm your negative result. I have yet to see the insertive partner end up positive over a condom break and I do not expect you to be the first - so chill.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtb

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 03:40:47 pm »

The illness that sometimes accompanies seroconversion is not due to the virus itself, it is due to the process the body goes through while creating antibodies. So yes, if your illness had anything to do with hiv, you most likely would have tested positive at your last test, or indeterminate at the very least. Not negative.

Ann, thanks that is exactly what I was not sure about. You have made it clear for me.

"They would not have run a WB because your antibody test was negative. WB is only run following a positive antibody result"

I understand no WB was run on my test. My concern about how long a WB would take or hold up results concerned future tests.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »
jtb,

A WB should not hold the results up. Depending on how busy the lab is, they can be returned in as little as 24 hours. DEPENDING ON THE WORK LOAD OF THE LAB!!!

You need to stop worrying about a test you're not even going to need. For the last time, a WB is only run when they have had a positive antibody result. They have not had a positive antibody result for you and frankly, they're not going to either.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jtb

negative labcorp icma antibody at 60 days
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 03:49:30 pm »
I had brief unprotected vaginal sex with a low end sex worker after condom failure. The icma test came back negative at 8 weeks 4 days.

1. At sixty days are these tests as reliable as third generation elisa?

2. Are some people slow to produce antibodies regardless of the virus? For instance, I had a genital herpes swab come back positive and almost a year later (I do not remember exactly how long or the type of test) a blood test was still negative. Are herpes antibodies slower to produce or are the tests not as acccurate as Hiv tests?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: negative labcorp icma antibody at 60 days
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »
jtb,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

1. Yes. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks - regardless of the test used - with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week (or more) negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

2. No. As I said, most people will seroconvert by six weeks and the average time to seroconversion is only 22 days.

The blood tests for herpes are somewhat unreliable. The best way to test for herpes is to swab an open herpes lesion. I've had herpes (confirmed by a swab test) for over thirty years and I've yet to have the blood test come back positive.

As you've been told, as the insertive partner you are highly unlikely to end up positive following a condom break. I do not expect your result to change when you confirm at the three month point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.