Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Med Salvage  (Read 28082 times)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Med Salvage
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:22:36 am »
It has been awhile since I have reintroduced our med salvage program. We have grown so much, and new members are joining every day.
I have  been running a little med salvage program here for a little over a year now. It is intended to be a bandaid program for people who find themselves in a bind, and for some reason are unable to acquire all, or a part of their meds.
If you are in need of a bottle of this or that, or you are somehow shortchanged for your meds then i would encourage you to contact me via PM.
The same goes for anyone who has surplus meds, because of changing your regime, or for any reason, then I would gleefully take them off your hands.
I'm only a PM away! :)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline franfrog

Re: Med Salvage
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 02:53:40 pm »
Sorry Lisa, I had asked about this and then when I realized that my meds were from back in July of '05 and reached experation this July, I figured they would be no good for anyone.  I figure I will just through them out.  I am not sure why I am still holding them. 
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:19:33 am »
Lisa,

Wow...what a great thing you have going here.  You rock.

Franfrog,

I wouldn't just toss out those meds, of course there has to be an expiration date on them.  I admittedly don't know much about HIV meds, but in a pinch, wouldn't they be better than NOT having any meds at all?  Just wonderin'.  Lisa might still be able to use them, if someone needed that med soon.  Just a thought.  Maybe I'm totally off base here.
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:25:50 am »
Hi Franfrog,

Before you throw the meds out, send them to Lisa, they can be of good use.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline franfrog

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:07:17 am »
I guess, I was thinking the same thing somewhere deep down that is why I have not thrown them away.  I pm Lisa, I guess she will let me know.
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 06:39:36 pm »
most medications really don't 'expire' like milk by their expiration date.   They can be extremely valuable to people who can't afford them.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 07:02:28 am »
Thank you Lisa for helping the needy ones. And the foreigners sneeking into the country without meds....

Love you

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 12:05:30 pm »
Lisa...after we get past the holidays and are able to deal with our friends "things"....including his unused meds.....I will let you know what we have to offer.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AtomicA

• that's Famous with an F
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 03:55:41 pm »
bump

and hey, any Canadians reading this, pm me about starting something similar up here!

we get our drugs FAR cheaper than americans and we might be able to help!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 05:21:50 pm »
Not trying to bum anyone out or start anything but are you sure this is legal? I use to offer my leftovers to a clinic here in Houston and to my Dr. who worked there and they could not do it.
If someone could prove they got sick from the drugs,the suppliers could be liable. These are not over the counter meds.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 05:28:14 pm »

Jack I do believe they are just offering fill ins for people like myself who face possible interruptions with their meds.  It's not like Lisa is diagnosing people and determining what they should take.   The program is just an emergency fill in.     
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline AtomicA

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 05:34:49 pm »
providing prescription medications unless you are a qualified doctor is never legal. Neither is sharing your prescription medications, no matter what they are precribed for. Pulling the plug on someone in a permanent vegetative state is also not technically legal but we still do it because it's the right thing to do. Anal sex is illegal in dozens of US states, that doesn't make the act itself wrong. freedom of speech is illegal in many parts of the world and I would argue that those laws are entirely unjust.

No one here is under any misconceptions about the legality of sharing their meds, but I would ask why it isn't illegal that people have to sit on ADAP waiting lists, possibly with life ending consequences. Sometimes, we as a community need to take things into our own hands. If I have excess of something that someone else has also been prescribed (it's not like mine are going to be any different from theirs) and they find themselves in a situation where they temporarily can't get anymore, possibly putting their life at risk, I would say screw that law. We have the ability to help each other when governments so often fail. The past 25 years have shown that we are the only people who can really look out for us.

Offline jack

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 05:47:44 pm »
I know what Lisa is doing and I understand why she is doing it. I just wouldnt be advertising it. I have been taking these fucking meds for over 20 fucking years and I have offered leftover meds and been told not to do it for the obvious reasons. Dont get pissed at me, I am just saying you need to be very careful handing out perscription drugs,no matter how well intentioned you are.

Offline AtomicA

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 05:52:17 pm »
I agree, but if you were offering them to official agencies, of course they would tell you no.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 06:01:38 pm »

Jake,

I don't think anyones mad at ya.   All I know is I am grateful for it..  I did not have any other options.   

Thomas

Offline jack

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 06:40:22 pm »
You don't seem to understand where i am coming from. It is Lisa who is at risk for distributing prescription drugs without a licence.  Any person getting drugs from her could sue her for damages should they have some type of reaction or problem. I guess the person donating the drugs would also be open to damages.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 06:53:10 pm »
Jack,

Shh already! Don't you think Lisa is well aware of all that? Sometimes needs must. OK? How else are people going to know where to go when every other avenue has been exhausted? It has to be mentioned now and then.

Maybe you could ask her for a couple tabs of valium. ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 07:05:10 pm »

Well Jack I won't be one of those...  as soon as I placed the bottles on my counter only my heart realized where they came from.   If   anyone is afraid of helping someone through this program just mail em to me... I'll be the middle man.  

Jack all I know is Lisa is a life saver to me right now.....  she has put my mind at rest with her loving help!  Why not take some of this energy you have in putting an end to this and go lobby for better ADAP regulations or something.

My god the negativity!

You might mean well here I don't know...  just keep in mind the world is sometimes not logical.   Don't take offense Jack, but sometimes things are best just left alone...

Thomas

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 08:02:40 pm »
Oh sue me. My ASO redistributes meds all the time.

Offline Lis

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 08:09:46 pm »
Tom, I'm really happy things worked out for you!!

And Jack, What feels better for your soul? a trip to Europe, or helping another human in need.. I give my extra meds to a church group that goes to Africa... am i a fugitive????

lighten up G man!!

love lis
poz 1986....

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 09:47:18 pm »
Maybe you could ask her for a couple tabs of valium. ;)

LOL.  Though I'm sure as part of due diligence, Lisa does not accept these kinds of meds, or any other scheduled meds for that matter.

Go easy on Jack.  I don't think he intends to put an end to the program, just voicing some caution.  But these calculated risks and mitigating steps have been thought of.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 10:06:22 pm »
Hey Lisa,

What you are doing is a true definition of HELPING others. When all avenues have been exhausted, it is a blessing to be able to have you as a source to come to for assistance.

Jack, you do have a point as Gerry has mentioned. However, why let the meds go to waste when they can be used to HELP others when their back is against the wall?

Happy Holidays!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 06:59:43 am »
LOL.  Though I'm sure as part of due diligence, Lisa does not accept these kinds of meds, or any other scheduled meds for that matter.

Hey Gerry, thanks for adding the disclaimer! I was being a facetious bad girl and forgot to make that clear.

Can you say facetious fish five times fast?

LOL

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 07:18:08 am »
I know what Lisa is doing and I understand why she is doing it. I just wouldnt be advertising it. I have been taking these fucking meds for over 20 fucking years and I have offered leftover meds and been told not to do it for the obvious reasons. Dont get pissed at me, I am just saying you need to be very careful handing out perscription drugs,no matter how well intentioned you are.
Lisa should consider including a simple statement with each care package, reminding the receiver that they do so only at their own risk AND that they should consult their physician before utilizing the meds.

Offline Lisa

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 07:39:50 am »
Well, I'm so honored to be remembered.
I was well aware of the risks involved with going public about this program here. I figure the worst that would happen is that I wouldn't be able to watch all of my favorite cable programs in prison, and I wouldn't have my own refrigerator any more.

I appreciate Jake's concern, but I knew what I was getting into at the genesis of this program. I am just not worried about it. I often felt so helpless when I saw some of our own community members writing horror stories of running out of their meds, and having no real resource to turn to.
When my partner in crime came to me with this idea, I was elated to be the front man.
I think it is important that we look out for each other,,because it seems we are increasingly becoming a "back burner" issue.
Who else would understand how incredibly stressful it is to be near the end of the pills in the bottle, and know you don't have any way of getting another bottle to cover you until your ADAP comes through, or your ASO/clinic can scare some up?

We all know what a toll stress takes on our bodies, especially when your virus isn't under control.
I just wish I could do more.
If you find yourself switching meds, and have a bottle or two to share...remember our community.

Offline jack

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 10:57:46 am »
Lisa, Do you have valium?

A trip to Europe or helping another human being? Hmmmm. Thats a tough one. I guess I would want to do both,as long as helping the other human doesnt interfere with my travel plans. Just kidding. We are spending Christmas Day serving dinner to some bums(homeless people) downtown. We are also buying presents for a couple of families. Sorry I dont have any hIV drugs leftover.
I guess I am too cautious. I can tell you that a couple of buddies of mine who are doctors will no longer fill me scripts of any kind(vicaden) cause the feds are really cracking down on the whole system.
Its sorta of humorous that the same people who bitch a me when I tell people from outside the USA to just put their HIV meds in containers for other meds and just dont tell anyone you are hiv pos when entering the US see no problem with distributing prescription drugs.  But you all are right it really isnt that big a deal. I have  been around a long time and I always get caught when I do anything the slightest bit shady.  I am the asshole who puts on his brakes 100 feet from a green light,just in case its about to change and the guy who is going 24mph in a 25mph only because I am the loser who gets arrested for going 26mph.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 11:09:29 am »

I know what you mean Jake... the world has it out for me too.   I am one of those who get caught and will scream "hey what about them over there!".   It's a conspiracy I tell you.   I am just glad I was born after the Kennedy assasination because they would have pinned that on me too.

Just so everyone knows I have absolutely nothing to do with Castro's illness..

Thomas

Offline jack

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 11:32:43 am »
lifes a bitch then you die. its raining today in Houston and yesterday Vince put a stake through the heart of the city and depression is thick in the air. give me some fucking serenity,please.

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 12:42:32 pm »
keep up the good work, people taking these meds will know what to do, and know what they look like, so they can decide to use them or not. i can't imagine being out of meds, if i was i would surley get them wherever i could.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 07:19:47 pm »
Lisa,

I think it's great what you do and obviously to you it's worth the risk. Even if you did get caught, what judge would want to give you time for trying to do a good thing? Especially if it was a re-election year.. ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2006, 01:22:46 am »
Hee hee!  You all make me laugh so much!!!

Lisa...

"I often felt so helpless when I saw some of our own community members writing horror stories of running out of their meds, and having no real resource to turn to.
When my partner in crime came to me with this idea, I was elated to be the front man.
I think it is important that we look out for each other,,because it seems we are increasingly becoming a "back burner" issue.
Who else would understand how incredibly stressful it is to be near the end of the pills in the bottle, and know you don't have any way of getting another bottle to cover you until your ADAP comes through, or your ASO/clinic can scare some up?"

I love you, you sweet, sweet, beautiful person!!!

Drew

Offline Lisa

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2006, 02:02:21 pm »
I am continually in awe of the caring of this community.
Just since this thread has been bandied about for the last week or so, I have received several more donations from members.
To all of the really great folks who have taken the time, and effort out of their day to send off these packages of love, I salute each one of you.
I would also like to  remind everyone that this program is in place for a necessary purpose. If you find yourself in need of a bottle or two of something to get you to your mail order program, or next med fill, I am only a PM away.
If no one else will look out for us, we can look out for each other.
All of YOU,  ARE the miracle.
Love,
Lisa

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 02:04:12 pm »
Well, you certainly are a miracle!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 11:34:30 am »
 :D

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2006, 01:33:09 pm »
They're in the mail sweetheart..........( not to sound like a cliche')

I commend you for helping those who can't afford their med's.  You're a great big ole sweetie!
and I love ya :-*

Happy Holidays Sweetcheeks :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Eric90803

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 12:58:37 am »
I recently changed my meds and have usued meds from my prior regimine.  Where can I send these for others in need can use them?

Offline schnitzer

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 10:27:11 pm »
i was referred to this thread because i had some left over meds from my previous regime..

one thing i thought about is, what are you going to do with only a handfull of pills? (5-10pills) i mean, someone who's using these meds NEEDS to keep taking them on a CONTINUAL basis.  you can't stop all of a sudden. if you stop or miss doses it causes resistance.  maybe more damage than good might be done.   how can you ensure that whoever is needing these meds keep getting them on a continual basis?

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 12:52:37 am »
Lisa....I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

I think its great that you're there for those in a pinch who desperately need the meds.  God knows I've been party
to your crime.  Keep up the good work, fair lady. 

I'd walk a mile for a camel....well I'd walk five miles for you!

Lisa is my hero! :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 05:54:02 am »
Schnitzer,

It can be important for people like me, who are on meds , but do not want to take their drugs into the US upon visiting from a foreign country.
Sometimes I only need drugs for 5 days.

Thank you Lisa for that wonderfull job.

Hermie :-*
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Dan J.

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 02:18:15 pm »
Bumpaliciously Delicious

This thread shoudl be stickied at the top of the Living With forum. Just sayin'

Dan J.

My HIV doctors office sends extra meds to Lisa when they have them.  Is that wrong of them? I don't think so. It is better than throwing them away.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 02:21:01 pm by Dan J. »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:52 pm »
bump...because it's immensely satisfying to bump this thread.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozinbama

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2007, 05:45:33 pm »
I just threw out a bunch of my partner's old meds. But they had expired. He stopped taking them (and on a new regime now) so they sat there for awhile.

For future reference.....should I not be throwing out the expired meds??

Steven

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2007, 05:58:53 pm »
I'm glad this thread is getting the attention it needs....I'm not on hiv meds at the moment but it's good to know that you're there. My ID doc's office sends meds to Africa. Wishes someone would do this for diabetic meds but I know that's a whole different ball game.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2007, 06:35:27 pm »
Pozinbama--taking expired meds isn't recommended no matter what kind of meds they are, so I think you did the right thing in tossing them.

To anyone--so how does this med salvage thing work?  My aplogies if it is in this thread, because I might have missed it while skimming.  I had sent my meds to another organization, so if I get extra again I will definitely keep this in mind now that I know about this. 
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 06:57:44 pm »

To anyone--so how does this med salvage thing work? 

Send a PM to Lisa (the person who started this thread) and all will be revealed.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 05:39:18 am »
I doubt if this can be stickied considering its controversial nature...

...but i'd bump it nonetheless.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2007, 06:45:37 am »
We try to keep the stickied treads down to a minimum. Otherwise, they'd start pushing everything else too far down from the top.

I'll go back and delete some of the "bump" posts, so the thread doesn't become too long.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline chefrusty904

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2007, 06:48:20 am »
Lisa, I need to know where to send the pills.I know you will put them to good use,here in America.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2007, 08:53:40 pm »
I love Lisa and I want her to stay out of jail too. This is a risky thing to do but I applaud her for doing it. Can we not get pharma companies to actually participate in this?
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2007, 08:57:57 pm »
I think what Lisa does is great too. I am wondering though is this only hiv meds she takes or diabetic meds too. I have some metformin I don't need anymore.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.