Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 424
Total: 424

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Here for the second time...and really worried.  (Read 20696 times)

Offline en151

Here for the second time...and really worried.
« on: December 25, 2007, 07:01:43 pm »
First of all I want to say that this site is great. I've literaly been going out of my mind with worry for the past month or so. I wasn't even able to enjoy a recent vacation because of all this stuff hanging over my head. Reading other posts on this site comforted me a lot and after finding the site yesterday, today has been the first day I actually felt somewhat like myself since this mess began. Here's my situation...

Over the past three months I've had three sexual partners. Two of them I've recieved unprotected oral sex from and went down on one of them for about a second. I don't even think my mouth even touched her vagina...just kissed around her vagina a little bit. That was it.

The third girl I had unprotected vaginal sex with. This was my FIRST TIME for vaginal sex and it lasted for about thirty seconds (dont laugh lol). We did it one more time later that night for about another thirty seconds. I've known this girl for about two years and I'm pretty sure she's not a risky partner but I plan on talking to her about it tomorrow (up until find the site, my main concern was with the oral sex). My worries came from the fact that I came down with a pretty bad illness mid-to late November (two months after the vaginal sex). My throat and gums swelled up to the point where I couldn't eat for a week and lost close to ten pounds. I had a high temperature for about half a day but it went away quick. I also got fever blisters on my lips and a slight red rash on my penis that doesn't irritate me or hurt me at all. The doc diagnosed it as strep and gave me antibiotics. He also gave me a cream for the penis rash, saying it was balanitis, but I've been taking it for two weeks and it hasn't helped yet. The throat irritation went away in about 8 days as well as the fever blisters and swollen gums. I still have a little bit of a white tounge towards the back of my throat. Ever since then I haven't been feeling like myself at all...frequent dizziness and slight fatigue as well as a dry post viral cough. Like many others, I went on the internet and proceeded to scare myself to death until I found your site. I had a couple specific questions and any general advice you guys can give me would be great. First, assuming a person recently infected with HIV were to get the "flu-like symptoms" i read about, what is the window period after the exposure that this would happen? Also, how long would the symptoms last and would they come all together or one following the other? My main worry is the dry cough that started once the initial symptoms went away. Again, any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long post.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 07:12:04 pm by en151 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Worries..help appreciated..
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 08:20:39 pm »
Hi En,

OK, do yourself a favor and take a nice deep breath in and out right now, nice and slow. And then do it a second time. Really. And remember to do that everytime you find yourself tensing up.

The ONLY risky thing you did as far as HIV is concerned was the unprotected intercourse. The other stuff you've described and reported did not put you at risk. Period.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to accomplish from female to male. Given what you have described took place -- the brevity of those two incidents -- the odds against transmission having occured are overwhelmingly in your favor. Get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I certainly expect will be a negative result.

Forget about pursuing the lady in question about her status. It doesn't matter what she says or how reassuring she is. You still need to get tested and have your own proof regarding your status.

Becoming sexually active is very exciting. It can also be scary and anxiety provoking and I suspect you're feeling some of that in your over-the-top reaction to this incident. I expect you to come out of this ok. You also need to learn from this experience. The HIV status of your partners is irrelevant as long as you always without exception use a condom. And that means no matter what you think you know about the person's status or how great they look. A condom is a must. Period.

As for your symptoms, see your doctor if the persist. I don't see this as and HIV situation and certainly there is nothing even remotely HIV specific about any of the ones you're reporting.

Lastly, read our lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. This epidemic is going to be around for a long time to come and no one can afford to be unknowing about the basics related to preventing transmission.

Now, remember to do that breathing.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 02:15:40 pm »
Andy, thanks a lot I really appreciate the quick response. Just finding this forum is making me feel a lot better.

Rereading my post, I realize how paranoid it might seem. Its just that all these symptoms that i've never had before started happening and then I went to the dentist, who looked at me (and my white tounge) with bug eyes and said that the only people that have that are people with very weak immune systems. I know I have to take the test but I'm scared to death of taking it. I also read somewhere that dry cough is the first sign of HIV...any truth to that? Also, where could I get a list of testing centers near my area?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 02:52:56 pm by en151 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 05:32:10 pm »
The first and only credible sign of HIV is a positive result on an HIV test. Hopefully you won't get that.

But you do need to learn from this experience. No intercourse without condoms. Period.

As for a testing site, call your local board of health or any hospital in your area and ask them where you can get tested. Does it matter to you if it's anonymous or not? If it does, be sure to specify that when you ask for a testing site.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 02:39:55 pm »
Well im going to do the test today...the lab told me to call back within 1-3 business days for a result. I'm completely scared out of my mind. Why did they say to call back so fast? Doesn't it usually take a week? Any words of encouragement would be helpful...never done anything this scary in my life. Thanks guys, Andy I really appreciate the encouraging words.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 06:54:53 pm »
Don't go misinterpreting what the message from the lab means. They are just doing their business and there's no coded message to be read out of that.

Now get productively busy and the time will pass. As I have said before the odds are in your favor that you'll get a happy result.

Breathe!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 02:37:51 pm »
Im going completely insanse here guys..I've read earlier threads in this forum about a guy who said recieved oral sex and ended up being infected. His symptoms and timetable matched mine completely. This is the worst feeling ever... I got tested yesterday at 3 p.m. and they said to call within one to three days. Should i call this afternoon or is it too soon? I can't imagine making this phone call...don't know what I'm going to do.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 03:49:31 pm »
I have no idea where you read they anyone contract HIV from receiving a blowjob. That is not true at all. It has never happened in the 25+ years of HIV. You will not be the first.

Offline en151

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 04:24:52 pm »
THe user LiveLifetoFullest claimed to use protection for everything except oral and got infected. ITs just so scary because the symptoms are so identical to what everyone describes. The only thing re-assuring me is that the symptoms didn't come all at once. THe cough started after the original swollen throat/gums symptoms went away. Gosh I'd never thought I'd be in this situation...so nerve wrecking. I got tested yesterday at 3:00 P.M. and it's been 24 hours. They said to call in 1 to 3 days..should I call now or do you guys think its too early?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 04:32:08 pm »
They were never HIV positive.

Offline en151

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 04:36:45 pm »
I was reading the thread and he said that he got a HIV positive result on his test.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 04:49:41 pm »
He hasn't posted since November, had not had a confirmative test, stated he going to test and didn't have the balls to face everyone with his negative result. He still comes and trolls the forum. He did not contract HIV.

Offline en151

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 04:51:23 pm »
Thanks Rod I appreciate it...any thoughts on whether or not i should call in today for a result after my test yesterday? They said to call in 1-3 days after test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 06:10:34 pm »
Labs go at their own pace. Sure, if you want to call, go ahead and do so. If they don't have a result for you yet don't make the mistake that others do sometimes of misinterpreting that to mean "something's wrong." It's just lab stuff. Hopefully you'll have your answer soon and for what it's worth I expect you to come out of this ok.

Keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 09:40:58 pm »
Again, Andy, thanks so much for the support.

Tried calling today but I guess they were closed for the day. Worried sick..all my friends are going out tonight and im sitting at home paralyzed with fear. Thinking about the incidents, my symptoms didn't start until about a month in a half or almost two months after the vaginal sex occured. After that there was nothing but the oral. Two months is too long for symptoms to start after the with regard to initial infection right? I'd really love to hear from Ann if possible..your posts are always reassuring.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:48:05 pm by en151 »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 01:40:29 am »
en151.

I'll add some thoughts for you too.

Firstly your illness doesn't sound like HIV. HIV attacks the immune system and not the respiratory system so it wouldn't leave you with a dry cough. The exact timing of symptoms that have been attributed to HIV is 4-6 weeks - so yes, your illness came on way too late. Furthermore a fever for a day and a bit sounds like a cold....and HIV doesn't swell your gums. You have done the wrong thing in trying to make an internet diagnosis based on some symptoms. Type anything that you would get from a common cold and you will end up hitting some HIV site or another...and that would only serve to worry you.

Andy is spot on as usual. Your anxiety is made worse by the fact that this is the first sexual act you have had. Don't concentrate on it being a bad thing, just learn from it. As Andy says you would be unlikely to get HIV from this incident. However, in order to protect yourself from STDs and the odd unwanted baby ....use condoms at all times without exception.

Also, learn from Andy that calling someone to ask their status is a, "No no". Firstly the information is not reliable as they aren't going to come and give you a test result when you ask. Secondly, it is a little rude. How would you feel if someone phoned you after what you thought was a fun night and asked if you had any STDs? No, your health is your business - there health is theres. There are things you can do to prevent STD infections - by using condoms. Do that and it doesn't matter if they have HIV or any other common STD.

I expect you will test negative and I'm not worried about you. However, if you want to be sure of this you need to test 3 months from the last unprotected sexual act. Both now and for all other unprotected acts.

Best,

R
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:42:10 am by HIVworker »
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 01:41:08 am »
PS My (research) lab is shut down for the holiday. We got to go have fun too you know.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline en151

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 01:02:09 pm »
Aren't swollen gums a part of oral thrush?

Update: tried calling the clinic today but all I get is a busy signal. I guess they're closed on sundays. Hopefully they'll be open on new years.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 01:28:22 pm by en151 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 01:59:28 pm »
No, swollen gums is not a part of oral thrush.

Offline en151

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 04:50:24 pm »
THanks again guys...this site is the only thing getting me through this right now.

Unfortonutely I've had another symptom...numbness in my left hand like it fell asleep. I've had it in my right foot too. Its been happening the past two mornings as im waking up. I need to massage it for about half a minute before it goes back to normal. Is this something you experience during acute HIV infection? Also, is dry cough something that occurs during the acute phase or later on in the virus?

I've tried to do things to get my mind off this but I can't. The worst part is the dizziness i've been having. Before this started, I was real big on working out...4-5 times a week and I can't even do that because I get light headed a half hour into my workout. All I've been doing the past two days is eating, sleeping, and looking for answers on this site. Hopefully I can get my result tomorrow..thanks again guys.

Offline baseballforu07

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 05:21:57 pm »

Unfortonutely I've had another symptom...numbness in my left hand like it fell asleep. I've had it in my right foot too. Its been happening the past two mornings as im waking up. I need to massage it for about half a minute before it goes back to normal.

I've tried to do things to get my mind off this but I can't. The worst part is the dizziness i've been having. Before this started, I was real big on working out...4-5 times a week and I can't even do that because I get light headed a half hour into my workout.

The numbness and dizziness sound more like anxiety attacks than anything else.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 06:35:03 pm »
baseballforu07, keep all of your opinions, questions and concerns in your own post. DO NOT post in any thread other than your own. Since you haven't read the posting guidelines in the "Welcome" thread take time to read them.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 09:46:23 pm »
Neither swollen gums nor thrush are HIV-specific occurences. Nor is your hand going number. Right now and I guess until you collect the negative result I expect you to receive your mind may work overtime and misinterpret everything as yet another confirmatory sign of your worst fears. That's how minds go once those HIV jitters get started.

Staying productively busy  with other matters does help to pass the waiting time. Really.

I expect you to come out of this ok. Unfortunately if your lab doesn't have results on Monday they will probably be closed until Wednesday, so you may have to work longer on being busy if that happens.

Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 11:35:44 am »
Called the lab today...they're open but they didn't have my result yet. I'm going to try again later today but they said that if they don't have it today I'll have to wait tiil wednesday. I didn't realize how hard it would be till i dialed the phone...i feel like crying right now and i haven't cried in 5 years. This is the absolute hardest thing i've ever done and i dont know how im going to make it.

I'm thinking about actually trying to find a place where I can get a rapid test done today because I dont know how ill make it till wednesday.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:38:10 am by en151 »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 11:43:26 am »
Get a grip there. Labs close over the holidays, trust me. Find a place that does rapid testing?? Just hang in there and get a grip man.

R

Offline en151

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 05:36:53 pm »
Wanna wish everyone on here a happy New Year and I hope everything turns out good for all of you. You have no idea how much being on this board has helped me the last few days. I'm praying for a happy result on Wednesday.

I know symptoms aren't really discussed here but if somebody could just put my mind at ease about this dry cough. It isn't a symptom of early HIV infection is it? I've had it since my intiitial flu symptoms wore off and its still there. Not constant but a couple times a day. HIVworker, i know you said that dry cough isn't a symptom at all but everywhere I read that it is. Any words about this would do wonders for my mind. Thanks again and happy new year everyone.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 05:50:06 pm »
It isn't a symptom of early infection. It is one of those things that if you have it for a long period of time and it is accompanied with weight loss, swollen lymph nodes etc then you might have HIV...for those people who don't think or know they have HIV and start feeling sick after having it for some time.

You are confusing HIV seroconversion sickness and later stages of HIV when opportunistic infections are more common.

R
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 05:51:38 pm by HIVworker »

Offline en151

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 05:58:05 pm »
So what you're saying is that the cough actually comes along with other illnesses?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 06:26:08 pm »
It can be....but I am not going to go through your list of 100 googled pages to answer each one. There is a reason we don't talk about symptoms...because they don't mean anything.  Remember I said that come Wednesday.

R

Offline en151

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »
Just called in...results still not back. I'm completely freaking out...i gotta pay for next semesters college classes, figure out my schedule for work, etc and i cant do anything without knowing this result. I'm going to try back again later but this is driving me completely insanse :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 04:30:26 pm »
en,

My ex-partner and I were together for 18 months before we found out I was positive. We never used condoms before my diagnosis, yet he remained hiv negative. We were together for eight years - and he's still negative.

The chance of you becoming hiv positive from a one time, thirty second, vaginal, insertive encounter is vanishingly small. I fully expect you to test hiv negative and so should you.

Ann

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:33:38 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 04:35:16 pm »
PS:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline en151

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 05:21:46 pm »
Ann, Andy, HIVworker and everyone else...thank you so much. You guys have no idea how much you helped me in the last week. I just got off the phone with the lab and recieved a result of NEGATIVE!! Living in doubt for the last month and a half shook me the core...i can't even imagine the mental strength that you guys have and i commend you for it and wish you all the best of luck. This whole thing made me realize that I'm not as strong of a 21 year old as i thought i was. God bless all you guys! I do still have some symptoms that I'll be checking out with my doctor.

Couple last things...this test was definitly three months past the vaginal unprotected sex as the event happened in late september. No need to test for the two oral sex encounters, correct? Also, what does the reference interval stand for? My reference interval was 1.00.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:26:08 pm by en151 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:06 pm »
Yes, you are reliably HIV negative. Forget about that oral stuff. Period. End of story.

Get on with your life and keep those condoms handy and use 'em everytime.

Cheers for the New Year!
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
Thanks again Andy...you guys are amazing and I thank all of you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2008, 05:39:01 pm »
We're glad we were able to help you get through a difficult time.

Onward! And good luck in school.
Andy Velez

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2008, 06:58:17 pm »
Great....knew you would be OK! Best of luck and use condoms!

R

Offline en151

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2008, 10:37:43 pm »
One thing guys...what does index value on the test mean?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 12:18:39 am »
Don't start doubting the test. It's a statistical tool used to calibrate your result next to known positive and negative controls. Your result is negative. So move on.

R

Offline en151

Here for the second time...and really worried.
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »
Hi all,
I posted here about a year and a half ago with the concern that i contracted HIV. I tested negative on 12/28/07 atleast 12 weeks after my last risk. Since then, I've screwed up again. I've recently had a few life changing experiences and dealing with the risk i had is part of the process I'm going through to get my life back on track. Since the last test I've had unprotected vaginal sex 3 times with 3 different girls..and I'm really freaking out. The first time was i the summer of 08 and literaly lasted no more than 30-45 seconds before I pulled out and realized what I'm doing. The second time was later that summer and again was really quick, no more than 1.5 minutes. The 3rd time was this past April (4/21) and again as pretty quick, under 2 minutes. I was drunk on all occassions and I now realize how the drinking lead me to this situation. Horrible choices I know but I'm posting to get some support some support. I've also recieved unprotected oral sex several times but you guys have said that was not a risk, correct?About a week and a half ago I came down with a pretty bad sore throat that progressed to a productive cough that i still have and some body aches. I know u guys don't talk about symptoms but if the symptoms were ARS-related, how long do those usually last? What do u guys think my chances are that I test negative? I'm so depressed now and all i can think about is my mother and how it would crush her if anything like this happened to me. Andy, you were  a huge help last time and I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Here for the second time...and really worried.
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2009, 03:26:02 am »
en

I know it has been about 18 months since you last posted but please use this thread to ask your questions from now on....thank you for your cooperation.

As you have been told in the past HIV is not an easy virus to transmit, and it's even more difficult to transmit from female to male.

Get tested at 13 weeks after your last risky exposure and for God sake start taking some responsibility for your own health, and use condoms at all times...NO EXCEPTIONS.

If you are having problems with your drinking then maybe you need to talk to someone about this.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline en151

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 01:05:45 pm »
I know you guys don't really do stats or anything but does the fact that the encounters were so brief give me a better shot of testing negative? I'd really appreciate some words of encouragement, if there are any to give. I can barely keep my mind on work or anything. I'm praying I come out of this alright I plan on abstaining until I  get married. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 08:55:06 pm by en151 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »
There is nothing more to add to what anniebc has already told you.

Offline en151

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2009, 12:32:58 pm »
Can someone please just comment on the whether or not the length of the incidents play in my favor? I don't mean to be a pain...just any kind of reassurance would do wonders right now for my mind. And the ARS...my sore throat started 11 days after the last exposure. It kind of progressed from a sore throat, to a productive cough and stuffy nose as well as sneazing. I've also had some body aches but I might attribute that to my work since I'm in an athletic line of work. I've never had a fever or  rash. Is this typical of ARS or does it all come at once? Rapidrod, thanks for the response and again I really don't mean to be a pain...its just that any kind of reassurance from you guys really helps get me through the day. Andy, Ann...any thoughts on this? Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:37:27 pm by en151 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »
EN, HIV is a fragile virus and not easy to transmit. It is significantly more difficult to accomplish from female to male. So that is in your favor as testing negative. The fact that the incidents were brief is also in your favor.

None of the symptoms you are reporting are in any way HIV-specific. In fact, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Receiving oral is no risk for transmission to you so there's no need to be concerned about that.

Lower risk is not the same as no risk so you do need to get tested. You should do that at 13 weeks past the most recent unprotected incident. During the waiting time to test you need to get productively busy with other matters in your life. And don't say you're too worried to do that because that response won't fly here.

Overall I would say the odds are in your favor that you'll test negative. But you do need to get real about HIV. You need to use a condom everytime for vaginal or anal intercourse until you are in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners reliably test negative together. Everytime you have unprotected intercourse you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that.

As Jan has pointed out, if you have a drinking problem that is something you can get help with. Mixing excessive drinking and casual sex is a recipe for disaster.

Now, get busy with other things in your life. Good luck with your test when you take it.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
Thanks Andy, i appreciate it. I'm going to the doctor today to check out my symptoms and I'm going to the clinic next friday to test for all other STD's since I'm still in the window period for HIV. The last exposure was 4/21 so I'm three weeks in...I'll probably do the preliminary test in three more weeks. I feel like such an idiot for putting myself in this situation. Could someone just answer one more question for me and then I'll be done..with the ARS do the symptoms progress or do they come all at once? Thanks again guys.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 02:12:48 pm »
ARS symptoms all come at the same time.
Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »
I know I said I wouldn't post anymore till I got my test but this is the only thing that's keeping me somewhat sane. I'm completely terrified that I'm going to test positive and I just keep thinking about how i'm going to deal with it. Is there any way u can still have kids if you have the disease? I've got a an STD test scheduled for this Friday for all other STDs with the option of testing for hiv and I'm thinking of just testing for it too. It will only be 4.5 weeks since the last exposure but a good 6-plus months since the previous two that I talk about. I figure if somehow i can collect a negative result then it might do wonders for the mind. I don't know I'm just freaking out right now and if I can come out of this alright i really have no desire to have sex until I get married.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 06:00:15 pm »
1. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days.

2. A negative result at 4.5 weeks would be encouraging but it would be a more meaningful result if done at 6 weeks since at that point all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so.

3. Yes, it is possible to still have children safely if one or both parents are HIV+, but you are jumping way ahead of yourself about that issue since you haven't tested positive and odds are you won't.

4. Right now you're scared about your status and having a low sex drive is not a surprise. It'll be more important and meaningful if you are willing to change your pattern of excessive drinking and off again/on again use of condoms to using them soberly and consistently from now on. And that's about action and not just words and promises made while you're scared.

Andy Velez

Offline en151

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2009, 05:22:57 pm »
Thanks for the kind words Andy...I've been feeling better the last couple days. Yesterday I went and got a screening for all other STD"s besides HIV..I'm getting the Hiv test in two weeks which will be the 6-week point. I'm a little freaked out after they took my blood at the clinic for the syphilis test...they're required to to change needles for every person right? MY arms been a little sore at the spot where they drew the blood...I know it might sound absurd but no need to worry about catching hiv from the needle they used to take my blood for the syphilis test, right?

Thanks again to anyone who responded...you guys a really helping me out through a tough time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.