Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:55:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 655
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does This Pill Make Me Look Fat???  (Read 10631 times)

Offline Mac2016

Does This Pill Make Me Look Fat???
« on: March 29, 2016, 03:33:41 pm »
Hi All,

My vanity is showing!!!

As you know, I'm taking Triumeq since June 2015. I was also taking Lexapro, and was eating like a pig. I'm now off the Lexapro, since January, but the weight I gained remained. I've tried skipping meals and just eating one per day....still nothing is coming off.  Used to be I could lose weight just by thinking about it. I'm in my late 50's and this is just unacceptable to me. I used to pride myself on my appearance. I'm currently at 172 Lbs...I used to be a constant 150 Lbs.  I went from a 30 inch waist to a 32. None of my clothes fit. I don't even drink. Is it hopeless to lose on these meds??

Thanks,

Robbie
12/2010  Diagnosed. CD-4 - 57  Viral Load - in the hundreds of thousands.

2011 - 2015 No Meds (BIG Mistake)

5/2015  CD-4  26                 VL  400,000
  6/2015   Started Triumeq
  7/2015   CD-4   81               VL  351
  7/2015   Diagnosed with KS...Reality Sets In.
  8/2015   CD-4   88               VL   96
  9/2015   CD-4  136              VL   59
11/2015   CD-4  143              VL   79
01/2016   CD-4  123              VL   22
(Ran a fever after surgery??)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Does This Pill Make Me Look Fat???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:07:15 pm »
Hello

You took lexapro and overate.  You gained weight. You are over 50. 

What about maybe the difficulty losing weight has nothing to do with HIV meds.  Your thread title.... and this thing about being impossible to lose weight on HIV meds. Um.

Maybe you need to increase your exercise quite a bit. Good luck!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Mac2016

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »
Hi Mecch,

Thanks I think?  Probably makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:49:13 pm by Mac2016 »

6/2015   Started Triumeq

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »
I can only dream about a 32 inch waist! Thats not fat!!

(Unless you are three foot tall I guess)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mac2016

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:42:16 pm »
You know.....what am I complaining about? A few extra pounds....some people wish that was their problem! I'm lucky....could be the opposite! I used to starve myself. Maybe, this is my lesson---to live differently and be thankful for what I have. I keep forgetting life for me has changed. I'm not the same as I was pre diagnosis. Let go and let God.

Thanks for the realization!

6/2015   Started Triumeq

Offline owt

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 09:46:20 pm »
Hi All,

My vanity is showing!!!

As you know, I'm taking Triumeq since June 2015. I was also taking Lexapro, and was eating like a pig. I'm now off the Lexapro, since January, but the weight I gained remained. I've tried skipping meals and just eating one per day....still nothing is coming off.  Used to be I could lose weight just by thinking about it. I'm in my late 50's and this is just unacceptable to me. I used to pride myself on my appearance. I'm currently at 172 Lbs...I used to be a constant 150 Lbs.  I went from a 30 inch waist to a 32. None of my clothes fit. I don't even drink. Is it hopeless to lose on these meds??

Thanks,

Robbie

Finally someone who understand me.

I started meds on march 2015 and i gained 30 pounds since that time and i just can't lose any weight as much as i try!
i was on Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir, now i'm on  Truvada/Prezista/Norvir i also take paroxetine and clonazepam (since 5 years ago)
Just before i changed my meds, i had a little period that i coudn't get the medication (social security problems) it was about a month, just in that month i lost 10 pounds with any change in my routine.
The main problem as Robbie is when im on meds i just cant stop eating... and i just try to eat healthy, 1 hour of cardio even i tried to do very strict diets and they dont work for me! if i dont eat as much as i'm starving i just feel without energy and very sleepy. it so frustrating.

I have kaposi sarcoma with left leg lymphedema so i just cant leave chemo and the meds, but i just cant feel ok looking this way. i've always been on 140lbs and now i'm 170 :( i dont want to gain more weight! :(  many of my clothes doesnt fit me anymore. and i feel very depressive looking this way.

my doctor says that is more important to fight kaposi first and i shouldn't worry about this kind of things, but i have very severe depression of this situation... i think i need to speak to her very clear that i don't feel ok if the meds will make me fat. there should be some solution...but nobody help me.

sorry for being so negative, but is the way i feel...

any help or suggestion?

Grettings from México

Hector.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 05:07:55 am »
Hector,

I would agree with you doctor that your first focus is getting better and to fight kaposi first. Also I would expect some weight gain to be normal as you only started HAART recently and have had a bumpy road, you body is still working on recovering, and adjusting.

So I would not worry too much about this now, focus on the good side and keep taking your medication and continue treatment for the other issues your facing.
Do however keep engaging with your Doc and make sure to let them know how you are feeling and doing mentally as well as physically. Mental health and well being is very important.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.