Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:49:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773192
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 333
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mohs on the nose  (Read 11409 times)

Offline zach

Mohs on the nose
« on: September 16, 2021, 11:29:19 am »
They cut it off, to spite my face.

It was barbaric. I was awake. They'd cut, then biopsy, leaving me to chill for about 30 minutes each time. Then they'd come and cut again. 4 times all morning. 5th time they borrowed skin from around my ear to rebuild the nose, and stitched me up.

Today I changed the bandage for the first time, and the doctor called. They want three rounds of chemo after it's healed

Nuke it from orbit, nothing here worth saving

EDIT

For background
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69334.msg742647#msg742647
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 11:37:51 am by zach »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Mohs on the nose
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 02:46:06 pm »
Hey Zach,

Sounds as though your doctor, is right on the ball. Did they tell you, whether it was a basil or squamous cell, that they were removing?

When I had the Basil cell on my nose removed, it wasn't mohs sugery.

But they did the Mohs on my toe, when I had that done, a few months back. Every small layer they took off, it went quickly to the lab, and the results came back on the loud speaker in the operating room,( that I could hear) until the results came back negative.

Yes, any cancer on the face can be brutal at times. Did you have two black eyes. I did, after my nose surgery.

Sounds as though your doctor is being precautionary with the chemo. My neighbor went through the same thing, and also had a couple rounds of chemo done. She has been fine since. She had it on the lower lip.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:42:55 am »
Hey ray,

I remember when you were going through this.

Basal cell carcinoma is what was removed. And yeah, the extra treatment was recommended as precaution.

I used to deep dive research every medical issue I faced. Now, I dont know the difference between basal or squamous... sarcoma or carcinoma.

I just sit in the chair and do as I'm told.

Black eyes, side of my face is swollen but that's going down. Haven't shaved for weeks, probably won't for weeks.

Stitches around my ear are clean, that will be a fine scar behind my beard line.

My nose looks... gnarly... trying not to fixate or stress... just telling myself it will heal. Give it time.

Right now I terrify little kids. Small pleasures.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 06:49:44 am »
That sounds painful.. wishing you a speedy recovery.

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 01:18:31 am »
After fighting back a sneeze all week, I lost control today and had a fit.

It didn't hurt nearly as much as I feared.

I did clear my sinuses though. A disgusting rocket of dried blood, snot, and lidocaine shot across the deck.

Dog thought I threw a ball, spent the next ten minutes barking at a pile of snot

Suddenly I can breathe and smell.

Offline zach

Re: Mohs on the nose... WTF?!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 08:55:02 pm »
Radiologist consult

Recommended 6 weeks of daily radiation

I'm still processing this

I was expecting once a week for 3 weeks

Wtf

Offline fabio

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 09:56:09 pm »
Man,daily radiation must suck. However I do hope you have a speedy recovery and congratulations on removing the thing.
Hope the therapy goes well

Offline J.R.E.

Re: Mohs on the nose... WTF?!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 03:38:38 pm »
Radiologist consult

Recommended 6 weeks of daily radiation

I'm still processing this

I was expecting once a week for 3 weeks

Wtf

I just texted my neighbor, that had a similar situation done, when she had basal cell, on the lip. I am waiting to hear back her. I am curious as to what her radiation treatment was, and the frequency of it. I know she has had quite a history with basal cell and squamous cell removal. She is usually very good at keeping records on these issues.

I will let you know when she responds back to me. Of course, what she experienced and you experienced are different issues. Even when I had my Basal cell removed from my nose, they told me something to the effect that the margins were clear, and as a result, I did not have to go through any radiation therapy. Same thing with the basal cell that I had on my toe.

Hang in there---Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 03:45:13 pm »

It still sounds as though, that your Doctor is being very cautious with your situation. I just can't comment on the frequency of the radiation, as I have not experienced that.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 03:27:53 am »
Hi Zach,

Just want to wish you well and a speedy recovery.

Jim.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 12:53:44 pm »
Normally I'm all about aggressive approach to treatment.

I'm just not totally down with this level of response as precautionary.

Fighting existing cancer, yeah sure whatever it takes.

But this is just reducing the percentage odds of future cancer

I suppose I need to decide pretty quick

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 09:03:47 pm »

I suppose I need to decide pretty quick

Zach,..

I would consult with the Doctor again, and find out why, ... after mohs surgery, which is supposed to remove ALL basal cell cancer, that he feels this is necessary. I sure you probably have, but consult again.

I spoke with my neighbor, and I misunderstood her. She never was required to have radiation treatment after Mohs surgery. Ed, never was told to have radiation treatment after his Basal cell was removed from his nose.

My neighbors treatment, was due to a more aggressive form of cancer.

And I never was told to have radiation treatment, after my Basal cell was removed from my nose or my toe, or the squamous cell was removed from my left arm years ago. That one required over 10 stitches, to remove all the squamous cell.

I wonder if a second opinion may be necessary in this case, or possibly something has changed in Dermatology, that this needs to be done.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2021, 09:10:23 pm »

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/basal-and-squamous-cell-skin-cancer/treating/radiation-therapy.html

"When is radiation therapy used?
If a tumor is very large or is on an area of the skin that makes it hard to remove with surgery, radiation therapy may be used as the main treatment. Radiation therapy can also be useful for some patients who, for other health reasons, can’t have surgery. Radiation therapy can often cure small basal or squamous cell skin cancers and can delay the growth of more advanced cancers.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 02:26:26 pm »
MRI showed cancerous growth around nerves on the left side of my face. A table full of emory doctors agreed with radiation.

So yeah, sucks, but I'm gonna proceed.

Have sat for a mask and hood fitting. Reminded me of a scene from fire in the sky when aliens put shrink wrap over a guy and drill into his eye. Membrane they lay over my head, wet it, then squish and mold it over every curve, nook, and cranny of my head. Chemical reaction hardens it, looks like a sci fi welders hood to me. I get to keep it when all this is over! Cant wait to scare kids.

So for 6 weeks, gonna crash on sons couch during the week... he lives right next to emory.

Upside, I'll have an acoustic guitar at hand. Already started practicing, remember most chords and can still run scales.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 02:30:43 pm by zach »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 08:06:32 pm »
MRI showed cancerous growth around nerves on the left side of my face. A table full of emory doctors agreed with radiation.

So yeah, sucks, but I'm gonna proceed.

So for 6 weeks, gonna crash on sons couch during the week... he lives right next to emory.

Upside, I'll have an acoustic guitar at hand. Already started practicing, remember most chords and can still run scales.

Zach,  sorry to hear that you are having to go through all this. Wish I could give you more words of comfort, but you will get through this. Keep your mind occupied, and stick with the guitar. It's been at least 49 years, since I picked up a guitar ! It seems a lot of people when they were in the Army, always attempted the guitar, and then forgot all about it, after they got out.

Hang in there-------Ray

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 04:41:42 pm »
About halfway through radiation treatment, the retina in my left eye tore and detached. Surgery this morning. I was awake again. Seeing my nose hanging off, skull underneath last month. Now seeing my deflated eyeball and empty socket.

Psychologically jarring. Went my whole life without seeing under my face

Return to radiation in the morning.

No rest for the wicked.

EDIT: oh yeah, cataracts in both eyes
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:48:56 pm by zach »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 04:54:54 pm »
Fucking hell.

Sorry that you are going through this and hope things start to get better soon.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 12:39:32 am »
Zach,..

I am sure that's it's difficult for many of us here to express and understand, all that you are currently going through. It has to be extremely tough.

All I can say, is hang in there as best as possible, take care of yourself, and this too, will pass.  Keep us updated, and I am sure that things will get better quickly for you.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 08:18:33 am »
Ray, I don't want to oversell this part

I cant smoke pot for a week.  :'(

Postop, surgery went well. Eye was reinflated with a gas bubble, I have to keep my head face down for a week.

Bandages changed, I've seen the eye. Mostly just swelling. Itll recover

Cool patch for a month. (Ordered the Cawthorn, I despise him)

Goal is, this will all be over by new years eve.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 10:10:10 am »

Postop, surgery went well. Eye was reinflated with a gas bubble, I have to keep my head face down for a week.

Bandages changed, I've seen the eye. Mostly just swelling. Itll recover

Cool patch for a month. (Ordered the Cawthorn, I despise him)

Goal is, this will all be over by new years eve.

Oh,... Thats's great Zach.  I was talking to my partner.  He worked for an eye surgeon, for over 35 years, before he ( Ed) retired.

I asked Ed, about what you stated, and the "reinflation". He explained it to me, that when the bubble is inserted, ( Not exact terminology that Ed used) The purpose of lying face down, is to let the bubble rise then to the back of the eye, where the healing process will begin.

Hang in there Zach, and take it easy.

Take care ----Ray
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 10:12:26 am by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2021, 04:57:02 pm »
2nd surgery on the eye yesterday

Went in for post op visit, they didnt like the look of things, had me in an OR a couple hours later

Installed a plastic collar and buckle inside the eye to keep it held in shape. My eye keeps trying to collapse

Reinflated with oil this time

Good times, happy solstice and winter holiday to all

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2021, 02:42:55 pm »

Installed a plastic collar and buckle inside the eye to keep it held in shape. My eye keeps trying to collapse

Reinflated with oil this time

Good times, happy solstice and winter holiday to all

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you on this second surgery. Hopefully this will get the retina re-atached and healed back properly. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Ed knows exactly what you are speaking of, with the buckle, and that type of surgery.

Take care of yourself--

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.