Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:36:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diagnosed 2 months ago...daily struggle  (Read 5396 times)

Offline matthewjones04

Diagnosed 2 months ago...daily struggle
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:04:00 pm »
I was diagnosed with HIV a little over two months ago. I am a gay man, happily committed to my partner. Being newly 18, this diagnosis really took a toll on me, as it was not anything I expected to happen to me being so young. It's one of those things you hear about, but never realize how true it is until it's too late. A few naive choices and I find out I'm infected for life. My expectation of freedom and life ahead of me went straight to the shitter. My first lab came back with a CD4 count of 450 and a VL of 250,000. My doctor also told me that my hepatitis C test came back positive. I just don't get it.. I started medicine two days ago, Descovy and Tivicay. Luckily, I have a great support system, including close friends, family, and my partner. I guess I joined this forum to express the inner, pent up feelings that I can't bring myself to talk about with anyone in person directly. My diagnosis never leaves my mind.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:06:05 pm by matthewjones04 »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Diagnosed 2 months ago...daily struggle
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:04:24 pm »
I'm very sorry to read of your diagnosis, but glad that you have found these forums.  Please make this a "safe place" for your ongoing support, guidance, and enlightenment.

These early days can be difficult, but there are many here who can and will support you.  You must know, first off, that things will get better and that once you are on an appropriate antiretroviral regimen, and you adhere to it, you will live a long and healthy life.

Please ask forums members any questions you may have and access these links for further reading:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/newly-diagnosed

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-medications

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-hepatitis-c-hcv

For Hep C:

https://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?board=28.0

It's okay to be angry and to express your anger or any related pent up emotions, as long as you steer those energies, at last, to you health and continued well being.

My thoughts are with you.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:22:56 am »
Hi Matthew,
a double diagnosis, you don't do things by halves!

Your life probably won't be vastly different with these two viruses on board.
You will definitely need to medicate for HIV for the foreseeable future and their awesome awesome curative treatments for hep c.

The hep c may resolve by itself but it is more likely you'll need to treat it.

I'm not sure what country you are in and what the treatment guidelines and insurance cover is like in your country, but their are always ways and means of getting your hands on lifesaving medications including importing generics from overseas.

Freedom, that you are worried about losing is relative its not an absolute. So console yourself with the notion that you are free from the about contracting HIV.

Have you had gardacil vaccination for human papiloma virus, if you haven't it, it may well be worth your while to reduce anal cancer risk.

Offline matthewjones04

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:00:30 pm »
I visited my doctor today, and she told me that my positive test for Hep c was a false positive test, that she believes occurred due to my high viral load....major happy booster lol...I had racked my brain over and over because it didn't make sense to me when she said it was positive. I haven't ever used, nor to my knowledge, been with anyone that has used or shared needles...I went in because I am experiencing a rash on my abdomen that I figured may be from my medicine...luckily, she doesn't believe that it is from the medicine, and that it may be a reaction to the hiv infection itself..my viral load has dropped significantly, I think around 90,000 from 250,000? I am hoping for all positivity from here..it's so absurd to think that my health will need to be so closely monitored. Before I was diagnosed, I only thought that I would need to worry about my health 20 or so years down the road, but life is always throwing curve balls. I have not heard nor asked about gardacil...I live in the United States, and have insurance through a private company and the IAP. Thanks for all the positivity and thoughts. You are both doing amazing things to help the frightened, discouraged youth.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:26:35 pm »
Excellent news about the Hep C false positive!  See, things do get better!

Now you can focus solely on getting your viral load to "undetectable," which your dropping viral load numbers indicate will happen soon.  Once that happens, you will be monitored, perhaps, semiannually, since your CD4's are solid, so no big deal, really, like getting your teeth cleaned.

Keep your good attitude. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline europepoz

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:38:47 pm »
Hi Matthew,
sorry for the diagnosis but now that you are here welcome to the unfortunate club.  I was diagnoised less than 2 months ago, i am 43 and when i discovered it i was shocked.  The first week i was very weak and shocked mentally, the second week i cried reading through the forums, the third week i kept reading and thinking what next, the fourth week recovering phisically as i was very weak.  I am taking all the meds regularly and i think i have recovered well and i am back on track.  Soon i will go back running again, so hopefully back to normal.  Just take one thingh at time, take all the time you need to procees this new condition and you will be back to normal life very quickly.  The show must go on.....be strong!

Offline matthewjones04

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:41 pm »
My rash was not due to my medicine, but my blood work showed I am positive for syphillis...ugh 😒 My positivity went right back down into the ground. I was tested for syphillis when I was diagnosed for HIV 2 months ago, but it came back negative...I haven't had any new sexual partners...my doctor said it's possible that if the infection was close to the testing, it may not have shown yet. I'm going to be receiving a shot of penicillin to start treatment. I don't know whether I am allergic to penacillin or not, so I'm constantly worried. Im a total worrier in life, and whenever I'm not in control of a situation, I stress the hell out. I feel as if this disease is very emotionally and mentally draining to me.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
Sorry about the syphilis, but it can be cured with relative ease (though the shots may be painful). 

You will get through this. Keep focused on how these medical interventions will bring you back to health so that you can live a long and successful life.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 10:06:13 pm »
Glad to hear you do not have Hep C. That's awesome.
Now that you have a correct diagnosis the syphilis can be treated easily.

There's a nice learning point there,  If you have symptoms, see a doctor, don't rely on the forums or Dr Google for diagnosis.

Focusing on 'what ifs' is a common peril for us pozzies, it really can make our lives unhappy. It may help to do a little bit of mindfulness and cognitive behavior therapy, they are great tools we can use to make our life easier.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »
Sorry that you have met Phyllis. The shot(s) should sort it out, and are not really anything to worry about. At least you know about it and can sort it out now.

Agree that we are particularly prone to 'what if's'....
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.