Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 370
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fellow Tech Geeks the time has come...  (Read 9329 times)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Fellow Tech Geeks the time has come...
« on: November 07, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »
Ok so the Samsung Galaxy Tablet is FINALLY launching this week with Android 2.2. All the major carriers will offer it, but since I have both Verizon and Sprint accounts (I'm a real geek I know... I have 3 smart phones and 2 mobile hotspot devices) I'm leaning more towards Sprint. The Verizon Tab will only come at full retail and with Wifi (So it doesn't compete with the recently added iPad to Verizon which only uses Wifi at full retail). Sprint and Tmobile however will subsidize the $599.99 retail price down to either a rumored $299.99 or $399.99 with a monthly data fee for 2 yrs. All I can say is the 14th can't come soon enough...

Is anyone else out here a gadget junkie like me? And have you jumped on the tablet bandwagon? (I'm not an Apple fan but I love the iPad, but prefer Android)

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=39057
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Fellow Tech Geeks the time has come...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:02:05 pm »
A friend just bought the new airbook.  It blows the tablet and any netbook out of the water. Astounding.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »
A friend just bought the new airbook.  It blows the tablet and any netbook out of the water. Astounding.

I hear they are awesome!!! I love the concept of an ultra thin fullsize laptop, but I dunno I still prefer to travel with something more portable. Apple definetly makes gorgeous products, but I am currently seeing Apple's biggest cheerleader so I pretend not to like their products so we have something to spar over!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:41:37 pm »
He got the little one with extra memory but its only 128 Gig I think. It was 1400 bucks, not cheap. But I watched him play World of Warcraft on that thing and it was just as fast as a macbook pro.
It is small, light as air, and glamorous.

I think it might be a good idea for me to develop some literacy for touch computing, all the same. I still dont have a iphone, nor ipod, nor ipad.  No touch screen experience. 

So thats an argument for a pad, as opposed to a real pc but super small and light.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:43:37 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 04:53:37 pm »
I switched to Sprint in August when my Verizon contract expired. The reason I switched was because of the 4G speed (Greensboro is a 4G city), better employer discount, unlimited calling, text  and unlimited data.  I wanted a phone with mobile hotspot because my partner and I both have iPads. I chose the EVO 4G and I have been happy with it. It is my first smartphone so I don’t have a lot to compare it to but it does everything I would want. I particularly like the GPS for driving and for hiking and running. The only negative is the battery life sucks and I cannot make it through an entire day without charging it at some point. My brother can’t make it through the day with his iPhone either so maybe that is just the nature of these devices.

I love the iPad and use it more than I thought I would. My partner uses his all the time. Mostly iPad is great but there are things that are frustrating for me and if I was going to get another tablet I would consider other options. One thing is the lack of flash support—it really is a problem. Even with YouTube some videos will play on iPad and some will not. Another issue that REALLY annoys me is poor photo management. You would think iPad would make finding photos easy but you cannot create folders and you can’t search tags or dates. It makes finding photos very difficult. Another issue is backups: I have a new, powerful  Windows 7 desktop and backing up the iPad takes all night.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:15:45 pm »

Is anyone else out here a gadget junkie like me?

Half the time I can't even operate my TV remote correctly.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »
Numbers

I've been planning to get a Kindle and when I went out to the Amazon site, they actually had two different models (a new "3G" model). Do you know anything about these puppies? Is the 3G version worth an extra $50?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 10:42:57 pm »
I switched to Sprint in August when my Verizon contract expired. The reason I switched was because of the 4G speed (Greensboro is a 4G city), better employer discount, unlimited calling, text  and unlimited data.  I wanted a phone with mobile hotspot because my partner and I both have iPads. I chose the EVO 4G and I have been happy with it. It is my first smartphone so I don’t have a lot to compare it to but it does everything I would want. I particularly like the GPS for driving and for hiking and running. The only negative is the battery life sucks and I cannot make it through an entire day without charging it at some point. My brother can’t make it through the day with his iPhone either so maybe that is just the nature of these devices.

I'm about to upgrade to the EVO.  I have the HTC Touch now.  It looks like an ant compared to the EVO.  I didn't think I could get the EVO at first.  I have a Sprint SERO plan, which is Sprint Employee Referral Plan.  I pay just $30/mth for unlimited everything--calls, texts, and data.  I can't give that up as they don't offer it anymore.  However, I was told I could get the EVO with my plan and just pay the $10/mth fee for 4G service--even though it is not availiable yet here in Louisville. 

I have to make sure my Slingbox will work on an android phone.  The Slingbox (for those who don't know) is a device you connect to your TIVO or DVR and you can watch and control your TV from your computer or smart phone.  With Sprint's good internet service, the picture is awesome and is barely interrupted.  If you're on a long trip or waiting at the doc, you can catch up on your shows.  You can also connect home security cams to it and view the cameras from your phone or computer. 

By the way, my friend has an android phone and complains about the battery life.  I think it has to do with several programs running even when you're not using them?? 

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »
By the way, my friend has an android phone and complains about the battery life.  I think it has to do with several programs running even when you're not using them?? 

Yes, you will want to download "App Killer" which shuts down any unnecessary apps running in the background.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:19:24 pm »
Numbers

I've been planning to get a Kindle and when I went out to the Amazon site, they actually had two different models (a new "3G" model). Do you know anything about these puppies? Is the 3G version worth an extra $50?

Kindle is already pretty impressive by wirelessly delivering your purchased content without a 3G data connection. I'd say unless you plan to web surf with it (using a terrible text only browser) then you will be perfectly happy with $50 worth of ebooks instead!

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 11:26:11 pm »
I'm about to upgrade to the EVO.  I have the HTC Touch now.  It looks like an ant compared to the EVO.  I didn't think I could get the EVO at first.  I have a Sprint SERO plan, which is Sprint Employee Referral Plan.  I pay just $30/mth for unlimited everything--calls, texts, and data.  I can't give that up as they don't offer it anymore.  However, I was told I could get the EVO with my plan and just pay the $10/mth fee for 4G service--even though it is not availiable yet here in Louisville. 

I have to make sure my Slingbox will work on an android phone.  The Slingbox (for those who don't know) is a device you connect to your TIVO or DVR and you can watch and control your TV from your computer or smart phone.  With Sprint's good internet service, the picture is awesome and is barely interrupted.  If you're on a long trip or waiting at the doc, you can catch up on your shows.  You can also connect home security cams to it and view the cameras from your phone or computer. 

Wow you have a kickass priceplan I'm totally jealous!!! It sounds about right thaat you can just add the $10 4G upcharge and keep your current plan, but who knows until you go to actually put the phone on the account. I also have a 4G phone (Samsung Epic) and I pay the extra 10 bucks when FTL doesn't even have 4G :(

I agree with GSO- just get App Killer and it will manage your background apps better. I say nowadays every smart phone regardless of operating system, because of the displays being so advanced, will have shitty battery life compared to the glory days of your battery lasting several days. I think its safe to assume you will need to charge them daily regardless.

I really like sling box and know several friends that use it. The concept is pretty awesome, and the security cam feature sounds very promising and not something I knew about.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 03:36:31 pm »
I just went this afternoon and bought my first droid phone -- and because I'm a cheap whore I got the only one that Virgin Mobile carries (Samsung Intercept), and at RadioShack no less because it was $50 cheaper than getting it on line.  Now I have unlimited text/web for $25/mo. Caps my voice at 300 but I don't care about that.

I think I will buy an iPad when the "version 2" comes out early next year.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline David_CA

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 04:42:06 pm »
I love the iPad and use it more than I thought I would. My partner uses his all the time. Mostly iPad is great but there are things that are frustrating for me and if I was going to get another tablet I would consider other options. One thing is the lack of flash support—it really is a problem. Even with YouTube some videos will play on iPad and some will not. Another issue that REALLY annoys me is poor photo management. You would think iPad would make finding photos easy but you cannot create folders and you can’t search tags or dates. It makes finding photos very difficult. Another issue is backups: I have a new, powerful  Windows 7 desktop and backing up the iPad takes all night.

No pads for me, but I do really enjoy my iPhone (4) and notebooks.  Ford, you can create folders in iTunes, but I'll have to look for the specific instructions.  I really need to do this myself; there are 'certain' pictures that really shouldn't be so readily viewable.  I'd hate to accidentally show my mom this pic of a really hot guy when I meant to show a pic of the beach, etc.  Also, there's supposedly a new app. that will allow IOS4 to do flash somehow... I'd almost forgotten about that.  I'll see if I can hunt it down.  X-tube on my phone would be great!   ;)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:21:15 pm »
  X-tube on my phone would be great!   ;)

I have a friend who has Grinder or whatever it is called on his Iphone.  So, he can see where exactly the nearest hook-ups are.  I'm not sure I'd want people to have my GPS coordinates. 

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:21 pm »
X-tube on my phone would be great!   ;)

I assume I could watch X-tube on my phone but even with EVO's relatively large screen that would be some tiny body parts.

I'll definitely have to figure out how to put folders on the iPad. They need to support tags searches too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 12:25:11 am »
I assume I could watch X-tube on my phone but even with EVO's relatively large screen that would be some tiny body parts.

Sin not Hester Prynne, you are married!

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 01:37:01 am »
LOL :D

Never did I think I would be referred to as Hester Prynne. Never.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 12:47:53 am »
Two TV stations here have gotten rid of their paper scripts and are now using I-Pads instead.  Having worked in TV, I am very curious about this.  The I-Pad scripts would have to be independent of the teleprompter, or what's the point?  The paper scripts are used in case the teleprompter goes out. 

Anyway, it looks strange not having papers to shuffle and pretend to write important info on.  Yes, it is true.  When you see an anchor writing on their paper scripts, they are pretending to be thoughtful..lol.   

Offline David_CA

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 10:16:58 am »

I'll definitely have to figure out how to put folders on the iPad. They need to support tags searches too.
Small videos, perhaps, but def. doable.  I believe you do the folder thing while in iTunes, though I'll have to play with it some to make sure.  I really do need to get some of those pics out of my iPhone's camera library.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:37 am »
Small videos, perhaps, but def. doable.  I believe you do the folder thing while in iTunes, though I'll have to play with it some to make sure.  I really do need to get some of those pics out of my iPhone's camera library.

I did some research and you can make folders on iPad through iTunes for pictures but you cannot make folders within folders. Maybe this will be improved with the upcoming OS update. In Windows I have my photos sorted by year and event, so I will need to make some modifications.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 10:50:48 am »
I did some research and you can make folders on iPad through iTunes for pictures but you cannot make folders within folders. Maybe this will be improved with the upcoming OS update. In Windows I have my photos sorted by year and event, so I will need to make some modifications.

I guess the intention of the iPad was not to be a computer replacement but more of a big iPod Touch.  I only wish they'd put an SD card slot in it, but then that would cut down sales of the models with more memory.  Perhaps somebody needs to make a card reader that plugs into the dock connector.  It could be done in an unobtrusive way if it sort of bent backward with the card behind the iPad / iPhone.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 11:04:02 am »
I guess the intention of the iPad was not to be a computer replacement but more of a big iPod Touch.  I only wish they'd put an SD card slot in it, but then that would cut down sales of the models with more memory.  Perhaps somebody needs to make a card reader that plugs into the dock connector.  It could be done in an unobtrusive way if it sort of bent backward with the card behind the iPad / iPhone.

I have the SD card adapter. It allows you to download or erase photos but it won't let you access it as a drive. They obviously don't want you using it to add more memory. I understand why they do that but I don't understand why they don't have a search function for photos. It can't be that difficult.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 12:46:09 pm »
read this and see if it helps -- methinks that 1) you're attempting to port how you think on Windows to a Steve Jobs contraption, never useful and that 2) perhaps you're trying to do things best for a laptop instead of a tablet

http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1394-5-ways-to-sort-photos-on-the-ipad/

Of course, you don't use a Mac for computing so you're probably not that familiar with iPhoto either.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »
I have the SD card adapter. It allows you to download or erase photos but it won't let you access it as a drive. They obviously don't want you using it to add more memory. I understand why they do that but I don't understand why they don't have a search function for photos. It can't be that difficult.
Is this the one you have:  www.amazon.com/PNY-zoomIt-Memory-Reader-iPhone/dp/B003WTU9I4?

From the description "... allows Apple handset owners to look at photos, play music, and read documents off an SD card by connecting to your handset’s charging port. This is coupled with a smart software that optimizes your device’s digital experience with a simple user interface to transfer content to and from your flash memory card and Apple device."  It appears to function as a drive; if one can view pics, read documents, and play music, it would seem to be what we (those of us with iDevices) need.  Of course, there's an app. that needs to be installed before it works correctly.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 02:05:55 pm »
read this and see if it helps -- methinks that 1) you're attempting to port how you think on Windows to a Steve Jobs contraption, never useful and that 2) perhaps you're trying to do things best for a laptop instead of a tablet

http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1394-5-ways-to-sort-photos-on-the-ipad/

Of course, you don't use a Mac for computing so you're probably not that familiar with iPhoto either.

Maybe it works better with iPhoto. When I transfer photos using the card reader it sorts them by date and geotags but when I transfer photos through iTunes for Windows it doesn't sort.

Is this the one you have:  www.amazon.com/PNY-zoomIt-Memory-Reader-iPhone/dp/B003WTU9I4?

From the description "... allows Apple handset owners to look at photos, play music, and read documents off an SD card by connecting to your handset’s charging port. This is coupled with a smart software that optimizes your device’s digital experience with a simple user interface to transfer content to and from your flash memory card and Apple device."  It appears to function as a drive; if one can view pics, read documents, and play music, it would seem to be what we (those of us with iDevices) need.  Of course, there's an app. that needs to be installed before it works correctly.

I don't have that device, I have the one made by Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTcyMTgxODY

I don't really need more memory on the iPad I just want a better way of organizing photos. There is an app that is supposed to search photo tags but it cost $5 and hasn't received good reviews. I think OS 4 is supposed to have some folder and photo management enhancements.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2010, 06:02:55 pm »
Hmmmmmm I have a "friend" who has an android phone and watches xTube vids lol.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 12:27:59 am »
The I-Pad seems good for surfing the web, reading news articles and email, looking at pix, but how user friendly is it for typing?  I know they sell a stand and a keyboard.  However, if you like to use the computer while not at a desk, how does it compare to a laptop?  Can you type on it very well with it in your lap?  Is it not very good for replying to emails and in forums like this?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 12:51:27 am »
Ford, IOS 4.1, which may be released as early as tomorrow morning will have folder support according to the Apple link previewing the changes.  I'm not sure folders for apps is what you're desiring, though honestly I'm still not quite clear what you're fussing about.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 12:54:27 am »
The I-Pad seems good for surfing the web, reading news articles and email, looking at pix, but how user friendly is it for typing?  I know they sell a stand and a keyboard.  However, if you like to use the computer while not at a desk, how does it compare to a laptop?  Can you type on it very well with it in your lap?  Is it not very good for replying to emails and in forums like this?

Honey, I'm sure you live near either a Bestbuy or Target -- they have them there and you can see for yourself.  You can even find an actual store in the Oxmoor Center, Louisville, KY

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 01:05:11 am »
Honey, I'm sure you live near either a Bestbuy or Target -- they have them there and you can see for yourself.  You can even find an actual store in the Oxmoor Center, Louisville, KY

Get out of my Lazy-Boy and go out in the daytime?  Ok, I will try it.  You looked that up, right?  I would be pleased if you had been here to our fine city and had been there. 

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 08:08:48 am »
The I-Pad seems good for surfing the web, reading news articles and email, looking at pix, but how user friendly is it for typing?  I know they sell a stand and a keyboard.  However, if you like to use the computer while not at a desk, how does it compare to a laptop?  Can you type on it very well with it in your lap?  Is it not very good for replying to emails and in forums like this?

The keyboard is more useful than I anticipated. I wouldn't want to write a long letter on it but for emails and posting blurbs on forums, Facebook, etc it is fine. The iPad is great for reading, showing photos, net surfing, watching shows on Netflix and YouTube. It is awesome when traveling and much more comfortable than a laptop when in a confined space such as an airplane. As others have mentioned, try it out at a store.

I'm not sure folders for apps is what you're desiring, though honestly I'm still not quite clear what you're fussing about.

Basically I have thousands of photos on my iPad and it acts as a photo display in my kitchen when I am not using it. All these photos are all in one folder. I need to find some way to locate photos more efficiently so when I want to find a picture of a certain guy from Philadelphia in a leather harness I don't have to scan through all of them. I'm going to ask the geniuses at the Apple store what they recommend.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 08:11:38 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:39 am »
I need to find some way to locate photos more efficiently so when I want to find a picture of a certain guy from Philadelphia in a leather harness I don't have to scan through all of them. I'm going to ask the geniuses at the Apple store what they recommend.

Hopefully they'll tell you buy an iMac as your desktop so that it interacts nicely with your iPad :)

Oh, and for tedderz:  I've even seen some people hook an iPad up as a controller for their Mac Mini home entertainment system, and some app just came out this week where people can use it as a MIDI interface for audio production.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 10:59:52 am »
Hopefully they'll tell you buy an iMac as your desktop so that it interacts nicely with your iPad :)

Oh, and for tedderz:  I've even seen some people hook an iPad up as a controller for their Mac Mini home entertainment system, and some app just came out this week where people can use it as a MIDI interface for audio production.
Kind of related... we've been using iPhones to control iTunes for a while now.  We have speakers throughout the house and around 135,000 mp3's, and this 'remote' app makes it easy to change songs, search, control volume, etc without having to go to the computer.  Plus, it works with our iMac as well as Windows notebooks. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 11:29:03 am »
Kind of related... we've been using iPhones to control iTunes for a while now.  We have speakers throughout the house and around 135,000 mp3's, and this 'remote' app makes it easy to change songs, search, control volume, etc without having to go to the computer.  Plus, it works with our iMac as well as Windows notebooks. 

Awesome.

I'm a big Zune Pass fan. Play any song, album or playlist through my X-Box, computer or Zune player. I has really exposed me to a lot of music I wouldn't have listened to before.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 11:45:35 am »
Hope you know about the new AirPlay standard Apple has come out with.  You'll soon start seeing more products that enable it, like this one:

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/discover/airplay/

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 02:04:58 am »
I took Miss P's strange advice and went to play with one..lol.  I actually love it.  My laptop is getting old now and I think I may switch to an I-Pad.  Besides typing so much here, I rarely type any other time on the computer.  I mainly read news articles, watch videos, and read email and check what my friends are up to on FB. 

I also checked out the Sprint HTC EVO and played around with it.  I really liked that phone and think I'll upgrade to that.  However, I feel like I'm becoming my parents.  Right now, my HTC Touch is very simple.  Right on my home screen, it tells me how many emails, texts, and missed calls I have.  I also have my upcoming appointments listed right there on my home screen.  It will list several upcoming appts on the main screen.  I didn't know whether the EVO would do that without actually opening the calendar, for example.  They said I can have my upcoming appointments listed right on the EVO home screen instead of having to open the calendar to find them.  I liked the feature where you don't have to listen to all your voice-mails and can just pick who's message you want to listen.  That is a nice feature. 

Offline David_CA

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 12:14:43 am »
Hope you know about the new AirPlay standard Apple has come out with.  You'll soon start seeing more products that enable it, like this one:

I have an AirPort Express that will work with it, too.  Just plug it in and connect it to a set of computer speakers or stereo system and iTunes streams through it.
Black Friday 03-03-2006
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 05:25:47 pm »

So I've had a week with my Galaxy tab and I must say it's def different than I thought it would be!

I love that it syncs with my Kindle account and I can have all of my books on it. I'm already planning to give a coworker my Kindle. Also I love the ability to read the news on the go. I'm a news junkie and that feature I find very kewl. I can remotely check my work email on it, and the web browser is very great because it has java. All in all I love it. I know I'm not using it to its fullest so I'm looking forward to getting more out of it :)

Offline SteveInToronto

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 11:09:05 pm »

This is pretty hot!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.