Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 05:22:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773425
  • Total Topics: 66363
  • Online Today: 339
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 314
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Luck 'o the Irish..  (Read 2495 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
The Luck 'o the Irish..
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:03 am »

Corned beef was originally substituted by the Irish Americans for bacon in the late 1800's. Many believe that eating corned beef with cabbage on St. Patrick's Day brings good luck throughout the year.

Luck of the Irish Kettle Soup

Ingredients:

* 2 T butter
    * 1 1/2 C white onion, chopped
    * 1 C celery, chopped
    * 2 garlic cloves, minced
    * 8 C chicken broth
    * 1 1/2 C carrots, chopped
    * 4 C cabbage, coarsely chopped
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 1 t parsley flakes
    * 1/2 t thyme
    * 1/4 t pepper
    * 2 1/2 C cooked corned beef, chopped
    * 1 (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juice
    * 1/4 t salt

Preparation:

1. Melt the butter in a kettle placed over medium heat.
   2. Add the onion and celery and stir to coat with the butter.
   3. Cook 8 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender, stiring often.
   4. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
   5. Pour the chicken broth into the kettle.
   6. Carefully stir in the carrots and cabbage.
   7. Add in the bay leaf, parsley, thyme and pepper and stir to incorporate.
   8. Bring the soup to a steady boil.
   9. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and cover the kettle.
  10. Allow the soup to simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  11. Up the heat to medium then stir in the corned beef.
  12. As the soup begins to boil carefully add in the tomatoes.
  13. When the soup has returned to a steady boil reduce the heat again to medium low.
  14. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
  15. Sprinkle in the salt and stir to combine.

Serves: 8

edited to add: I know that I LOVE stuffed cabbage rolls...which I haven't had in a long,long time.. :-[
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:18:36 am by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: The Luck 'o the Irish..
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:17:24 am »
Ronnie, I'm currently cooking up a very nice  Corned-beef-Brisket w/ cabbage and carrots and baby red potatoes, I'm not suppose to have all of the sodium, but what the hell, you only live once  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline rondrond

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:47:31 am »
boy that sounds yummy...

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:06 pm »
Hmmm yummy now where  would I find corned beef in Switzerland!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline rondrond

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:00:29 am »

When Mom was growing up in Michigan,  her mother often made a Polish version of stuffed cabbage leaves called golabki.

The filling was a simple one -- rice and meat with onions, garlic, celery, cloves, and green apple.. Served with a hot tomato sauce and creamy sour cream.

When we lived with Gparents after my fathers death, and Mom going off  to college at ENMU.(University of Eastern New Mexico) she would give us informal cooking lessons. Her version of  cabbage being odorous and not particularly tasty were the result from overcooking;  when cabbage is cooked, its oils break down, imparting a sulfur smell. Cooking cabbage in aluminum pots can make the problem worse; aluminum reacts poorly with the oils. The key to cooking and enjoying cabbage is to give the vegetable a light steaming; this will be sufficient to bring out its brilliant color and preserve its nutritional content.

Serves 8

* 2 quarts water
    * 1 large green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds)
    * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1 garlic, finely chopped
    * 2 cups cooked rice
    * 8 ounces ground beef
    * 8 ounces ground pork
    * Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    * 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    * 1 medium green pepper, grated
    * 2 celery stalks with leaves, finely chopped
    * 4 cups tomato puree
    * 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
    * 1/2 cup sour cream, plus more for garnish

Directions

1. Using a paring knife, remove center core of cabbage. In a large nonreactive stockpot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Add cabbage and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until outer leaves are bright green and tender. Lift cabbage from water, and remove outer leaves. Return cabbage to boiling water, and repeat brief cooking and removal of leaves until all leaves are cooked. Reserve 2 cups cabbage cooking water. Trim thick center vein from bottom of each leaf. Reserve four large outer leaves to line bottom of pan.
   2. In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until golden and tender, about 8 minutes. In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, rice, beef, pork, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, green pepper, and celery. Stir to combine.
   3. Add about 1/3 cup rice filling to one cabbage leaf. Fold sides of cabbage over filling, and, starting with the stem end, roll the cabbage up. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
   4. Line a 5-quart Dutch oven with reserved outside leaves. Transfer stuffed cabbage leaves to Dutch oven.
   5. In a large bowl, combine tomato puree and the reserved 2 cups of cabbage cooking water. Pour some of the tomato sauce over cabbage to almost cover. Sprinkle apple over top of cabbage leaves. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a gentle simmer; cover. Cook for 1 hour or until cabbage is very tender, adding additional tomato sauce as needed.
   6. Place sour cream in a small bowl, and ladle in about 3/4 cup of tomato sauce from the cooked stuffed cabbage rolls. Whisk to combine. Add sour cream mixture back to Dutch oven, and stir to combine. Serve with additional sour cream.

...Boy do I miss having people cook for me...:P

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »
Hmmm yummy now where  would I find corned beef in Switzerland!
Do a search...someone posted a recipe a couple of years ago but I don't remember who...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:55:21 pm by Basquo »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.