Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:09:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 654
Total: 654

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone on Aetna insurance?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline azprince

Anyone on Aetna insurance?
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:43 pm »
I have insurance through work , it covered me for the last 2 years but it will end soon since I am going to school again, at school they offer me Aetna, but i noticed that it says in the benefits explanation under the pharmacy limits  :
7500 per member for plan year 09/10 through 09/09.
So does it means that I will only be able to buy Atripla twice ?
In this case what should I do? do you think they can increase the limit for me ? is there anyway that I am understanding the pharmacy limit in the wrong way...after all it doesnt make any sense ! note that we must be covered in school because its a full time program so we are automatically enrolled in this insurance but we have the option to chose the comprehensive  or the basic, of course I chose the comprehensive one but now I am reading this 7500 $ limit thing and I am puzzled!
I would appreciate any clarification and guidance
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline decayingsinner

Re: Anyone on Aetna insurance?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »
I have Aetna through my employer.  It's alright.  Not fantastic.  My meds are $580 per year and my blood work is a few hundred a year.  I think in total, they cover about $7000 and what's mentioned above is what I pay out of pocket.  Usually, by December my funds are depleted and I may be left with a bill that needs to be paid in full.

Offline azprince

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »
Well I am on Atripla, and it costs more than 2000 per one refill, so it means I will run out of limit within two refills, but some friend here PM me and told me that they dont consider Atripla as a Medicine but rather a Medical expanse which means that its under the 1.5 million $ limit...Lets hope that this is the case  8)
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline azprince

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 04:29:52 pm »
Just contacted Aetna today they refused to cover the Atripla once it will exceed the 7500 per year...simply a fraud since when I signed to the plan they recommended that if I have a Chronic illness I should chose the comprehensive plan that will cover up to 1.5 million per year , now they tell me that unless the medication is given to me inside the Doctors clinic they will not cover an amount exceeding 7500 per year...any ideas on what is the next step I should take ???

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:39 am »
I take it you don't qualify for ADAP.  I've been told there are drug programs to help with paying for them (what insurance doesn't cover) or get them for free--think it is with the drug companies directly. 

You said they won't pay over the amount unless you get the meds through your doc office??  Is that right?  Does your doc office/clinic have their own pharmacy?  Mine does.  Would your insurance consider that the doc office giving them to ya or treat it like any pharmacy?  If no pharmacy, I know many offices/clinics have an HIV pharmacist on staff to meet with patients about meds.  I know my HIV pharmacist doesn't fill prescriptions like regular pharmacists.  She is there to educate patients.  Maybe they could help point ya in the right direction.

Offline 1228GUY

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:51 am »
AZPrince, you should also get in contact with Wingspan, it's Arizona's LGBT Comm. Center, they should be able to provide you with some guidance, that is assuming that you are in Arizona (LGBT resources are there for your use regardless of sexual orientation and they are there to assist you in any way they are able to)

http://www.wingspan.org/
12.28.09 - Rcvd call I should test
12.29.09 - Confirmed
01.19.10 - VL 30015  CD4 172
03.18.10 - VL 1627    CD4 193
04.15.10 - VL 965      CD4 248
07.09.10 - VL 227      CD4 233 (19%)
08.12.10 - VL 99        CD4 280 (18%)
12.03.19 - VL 79        CD4 262 (21%)
02.09.11 - VL 90        CD4 376 (19%)
05.20.11 - VL 106      CD4 196 (25%)
06.23.11 - VL 82        CD4 289
08.05.11 - VL UD       CD4 286
11.04.11 - VL 54        CD4 305
03.02.12 - VL UD       CD4 523
04.30.12 - VL 74
08.12.12 - VL 153      CD4 353
11.15.12 - VL 43        CD4 443
01.11.13 - VL 39       
03.29.12 - VL UD        CD4 640
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Truvada.Norvir.Prezista - Serostim HGH

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:40 am »
ADAP does have programs for this kind of scenario, i.e. people who are underinsured. You should contact someone who can help in your area. Are you in AZ? In Phoenix for example, it's Body Positive which has now changed their name to Southwest Center for HIV/AIDS.

If you get your insurance through work you also might be able to change to a different policy with more coverage during the open enrollment period.

As tednlou2 mentioned, the drug companies do have co-pay assistance programs, but I think at most they would cover $200./month for some of the meds, not nearly enough to cover what you are being charged.

There are definitely options for you but you need to speak to someone very knowledgeable about these things.

LINK:

http://www.swhiv.org/

Offline azprince

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »
Thank you guys for all the information, I am not in AZ anymore, I am in NY , I am still trying to work things with my Aetna insurance, I am seeking legal help now since when I tried to chose the plan we contacted them and told them I do have a chronic illness and I wish to know which plan is better for me and they recommended the Comprehensive student plan, suddenly after visiting the Doctor at the university health center I got this info on my web profile on the insurance navigator indicating that I have a pharmacy limit of 7, 500, as I mentioned calling them the only explanation they came up with is that they means with 1.5 million  a limit for medical treatment including meds given inside the Docs clinic  :-\
I will try to exhaust all my solutions with the insurance company before I try to reach out for other possible options that I might qualify for .
Its sad how the insurance companies can play tricks without being accountable... >:(

But again thanks for the guidance and would appreciate any further recommendations that you think might help force the insurance cover my Meds  :-*

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »
I think it's a good game plan to try to get them to agree to a different plan since they advised you incorrectly but worse case, NY ADAP should be able to step in and cover the meds.

Is this insurance through school?

Offline azprince

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »
Yes it is through school  ::)

Offline azprince

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »
I have Aetna through my employer.  It's alright.  Not fantastic.  My meds are $580 per year 
Just curious which Meds cost only 580 per year  ???

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.