Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:10:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 216
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cure for AIDS  (Read 55716 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Cure for AIDS
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2009, 01:08:48 pm »

I not sure who stated that GNP+USA has any roots with GNP Plus for that is very true GNP+USA is completly independent network..

Drederdick, (oops, a typo!)

Anyone seeing what you've decided to call your organisation would assume that you were a branch of GNP+, as you basically stole their name (and decided to claim that the + was a plug for Jesus).

And please, start being honest and stop trying to make it look like you didn't  steal the name. The ONLY place you see the name of the organisation written as "GNP Plus" is in the URL of their website - because characters such as + are not permitted to be used that way in URLs. Their logo/brand is GNP+. If you didn't want people to think you were associated with GNP+, you would have called your organisation something different, and you still could have used a + and claimed it was your little Jesus plug.

This was a duplicate thread that was also posted in the Activism forum; when Ann merged the two she left it in the Living With forum.  Perhaps now that we know it is an activist thread the Moderators could move it back to the proper forum?

Umm... Me thinketh thou speaketh of thine divine trash receptical forum. (affectionately known as simply The Bin.)

But seriously, this isn't real activism, it's just some guy trying to be "the big I AM". It would be a mockery to place this thread in the Activism forum.

It is all good with me .. but you better check with Ann we don't want her to get upset and run to Tim

I got to run Guys have a great day and be well.. and look foward to more comunication in the future

;D

You crack me up. Run to Tim? (you got the name right!) Tim doesn't do my bidding; I fight my own battles, mate, and I'm quite handy with the ban button. Censorship? More like cutting out the noise pollution.

Ann
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:11:08 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2009, 01:24:46 pm »
Ann,

No one knows GNP Plus for they are a dot in a large world.. and I am suprise you are adressing me for the last time you wrote, you stated that you would not be writing in this forum.. I adressed your attacks ion me and GNP+USA in the other forum of the travel ban, get over it Ann and move on.. How about adressing A Cure for AIDS and the needs of the 30 million people instead of attacking me and GNP+USA for that seem to be you motive, since I came into  this forum and then tring to get your  POZ gang to do the same.  Oh Ann you are very cunning.. I asked for forgivness but will not be bully by you and you have no power of me sister.

Be well

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com
GNPUSA2010@aol.com

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2009, 01:29:50 pm »
Ann,

I not sure where you are from but here in the USA we have freedom of expression and creativity.. and since GNP+USA I help formed I can create what I wish for the LOGO of the + for it is all good sister.. peace and lots of love for that is what the Cross + brings to me .. try it .. you like it.  Again my hope are to put tension on folks to focus on a Cure for AIDS and help the 30 milion in need..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2009, 01:31:22 pm »
Ann,

No one knows GNP Plus for they are a dot in a large world.. and I am suprise you are adressing me for the last time you wrote, you stated that you would not be writing in this forum.. I adressed your attacks ion me and GNP+USA in the other forum of the travel ban, get over it Ann and move on.. How about adressing A Cure for AIDS and the needs of the 30 million people instead of attacking me and GNP+USA for that seem to be you motive, since I came into  this forum and then tring to get your  POZ gang to do the same.  Oh Ann you are very cunning.. I asked for forgivness but will not be bully by you and you have no power of me sister.

Be well

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com
GNPUSA2010@aol.com

I believe you've outwore your welcome here on this website and yes I am from the U.S.  Move on.

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2009, 01:45:39 pm »
Rod,

Wow you are a nasty little creature.. who is moderating you .. Wow.. nasty... so get your gang together and kick me out Rob.. for is not that the intention of you an Ann and her following, for then you can keep control of your territory.

Peace man and I still love you and sorry that you have been hurt in the past and hope you heal from the pain for you words reveil the pain in your heart.. very sorry...

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2009, 02:01:53 pm »
Rod,

Wow you are a nasty little creature.. who is moderating you .. Wow.. nasty... so get your gang together and kick me out Rob.. for is not that the intention of you an Ann and her following, for then you can keep control of your territory.

Peace man and I still love you and sorry that you have been hurt in the past and hope you heal from the pain for you words reveil the pain in your heart.. very sorry...

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com
Barney you're on the verge of doing that to yourself and you won't be missed. Have a nice day.  :D

Offline dixieman

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2009, 04:01:13 pm »
Rapidrod this individual's just looking to start something... just let it go... and if there's a cure for this virus... more power to whomever has it...

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:32 pm »
What I want to know is if anyone has a cure for the Frederick problem that seems to be plaguing this forum?
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »
Oh guys you know what mamma would say if you don't have anything nice to say .. do not say anything..and it is so cool to be out and not have to hide behind a screen name for the freedom is overwheming... try it you like it.. come out...Have a good evening I need to get to a class and move on,so be blessed in your journey and know more love... dudes

Setting the record Straight

Ann

I did not steal the name for it is a forgein group and has no USA idenity or rights of ownership in the USA for it is like the compulary liscening thing but different for no one knows what they do..  and in the past GNP PLUS had one excutive director and no staff and no advocacy effort at all in the USA.   Just got very fed up with them talking all the credit and not doing any work and feeding off USA funding, where you might know USA funds 1/3 of the Global Fund and is Funding 9 billion a year now for HIV, AIDS, TB and Maleria.. Just sick and tried of forgein groups pushing the USA around like we are dogs and we give more than any other Country and just setting the record straight. And would like GNP PLUS to stay out of USA politic as they have done so successfully in the past 

Oh, well God bless Queen of the Common Weath and the people of Englan for they have given more than the USA, however She is very shy about annoucing it for the Grace of Her Christian faith doesn't boast in Charity Works.. And Again God Bless the Queen and the Common Wealth for I  am sure you must feel many blessings to be apart of such a great Country and Godly Works of a Christian Nation that help some many folks out and wish more nation could understand True Charity.

Peace and love you a lot Ann,

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
FrederickGNP@aol.com

Offline water duck

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:50 pm »
Strange, Rodney, dear , you used to be able to smell a rat miles away !! this one seems to escape you time and again.

Now Frederick boy, let us have a talk; you and me. This thread contains 108 postings, you posted at the present moment 44 ; Ann , blessed her patience, did 15 ; Basquo , for his good will did 7.
When i observed the way you addressed them, only with Ann you remained constant. With Basquo , you either spelled BASQUO or Basquo. So it is very possible that you had been abused by your father in your youth. Had your father died or had he stopped abusing you ?? And you are right now suffering from addiction  withdrawal ??
Fine , now you get that butt of your's over on four limbs so that i can whip it raw , then lock you up in the closet , like your dad used to do . Oh do not worry, i will not do like your dad, open the closet door, put you on your knees (like you are praying to Jesus) and relieve himself, i prefer to do it into a bowl. Tell you what , i am giving you a bonus, i give you a portable PC , so you can have some light  within the darkness, you can then advocate for - Cure for Aids, GNP+USA, 30 millions not receiving aids................
Oh while you are at it , please lock into
lockmeintheclosetand throwawaythekey.com

Peace and love

Wd

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2009, 06:29:54 pm »
This thread rises to the top of the living with no cure forum day in day out. Can it get moved? I am bored by it. It's dangerous I am bored. I might go lick a genotype report or sommat.

".. a dot in a large world.." is deffo worth reflecting on ..

While we's talking GNP+, Lynde Francis, activist and heart of hearts, passed away 2 April:
http://www.gnpplus.net/content/view/1491/77/

GNP+ have set up a Facebook page in her honour:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=74873988896&ref=share

She was also a member of the International Community of Women with HIV/AIDS

matt (a microdot in england who knows a gnome when he sees one) the newt

Now playing: Marvin Gaye, What's Going On
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline clsoca

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2009, 07:30:34 pm »
I can't identify with the judgment of our great group wasting precious time with a highjacker.

Ignore and overlook all highjackers and let’s continue on with our important and relevant business. Highjackers are predisposed to migrate to other web-site-forums when their relevancies have been reduced to rat-shit.

I will not post anything relevant to any highjacker’s posting whatsoever.

This is my two-cents at least……
10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »
Oh, I couldn't disagree more.  Just do a search for "bimazek".
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline clsoca

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2009, 07:48:37 pm »
Hi Miss Philicia

He/she is still a highjacker. Would you not agree.
10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »
Strange, Rodney, dear , you used to be able to smell a rat miles away !! this one seems to escape you time and again.

Now Frederick boy, let us have a talk; you and me. This thread contains 108 postings, you posted at the present moment 44 ; Ann , blessed her patience, did 15 ; Basquo , for his good will did 7.
When i observed the way you addressed them, only with Ann you remained constant. With Basquo , you either spelled BASQUO or Basquo. So it is very possible that you had been abused by your father in your youth. Had your father died or had he stopped abusing you ?? And you are right now suffering from addiction  withdrawal ??
Fine , now you get that butt of your's over on four limbs so that i can whip it raw , then lock you up in the closet , like your dad used to do . Oh do not worry, i will not do like your dad, open the closet door, put you on your knees (like you are praying to Jesus) and relieve himself, i prefer to do it into a bowl. Tell you what , i am giving you a bonus, i give you a portable PC , so you can have some light  within the darkness, you can then advocate for - Cure for Aids, GNP+USA, 30 millions not receiving aids................
Oh while you are at it , please lock into
lockmeintheclosetand throwawaythekey.com

Peace and love

Wd

WD you're slipping, read reply 12.  ;)

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2009, 11:19:30 am »
Hi Research Folks, Advocates, Ativitist, AIDS Inc America and beyond,

My Name is Frederick Wright with GNP+USA......

Most Fascinating how this Topic Keeps Getting Move Around ,for it is the story of my life, for folks just do not know what mold to put me in.

Tim-bo and Ann

Love you Both and find your communication  very hurmous  at times and can not wait to meet you in person one day to give you both a big KISS.....

Defining the Cure for AIDS with hopes for the 30 million PEOPLE that don't have excess to AIDS MEDS will have hope and life?

I just got back from a clinic appointment where my HIV Healthcare provider Dr. Don Kurtyka (good guy and like him a lot) inform me that Gilead Science the manufacture of Atripa has capture 75 percent of the HIV/AIDS market.  Well this makes me think, would it not be wonderful if all 30 million HIV people on our Globe had a pill available to them called Atripla.   And how could this happen. I am thinking of the concept for some time now.
One way is that President Obama could step in and call for a National Global Emergency and break the patient to allow a lot of manufactures to start making Atripa with an executive order.  This would bring the cost down and create a generic market and President Obama could also inform his staff to make Atripa available over the counter for sale as a PEP or PrEP to all in the USA to stop new infections.    This could slow down new HIV infections (saving resources) and keep people in an HIV status, NOT AIDS.  He could also ask for a refining of the term AIDS to follow the Global Scientist in creating a protocol of HIV stage 1, HIV stage 2, or HIV stage 3 illness and call for a end to the word AIDS as we know it to be.  One of my teachers in the past would say that the ask must conclude with an action of NOW.

That way my first though, however I am a compassionate guy and like Robert Chenney and Company, for I believe in the free enterprise system where people should and must have a right to sell their ideas, inventions or Intellectual Property in a free market.  GNP+USA would like for it to be a FAIR and Free Market.  So in my research of the past both in policy, advocacy and economic I learned there is always a middle road of compromise. 
Secondly our President with the support of AIDS Inc in America, Activists, Advocates, and the whole community could create a plan where the USA would buy down the patient of Atrpla for a negotiated price a few  billions dollars or so and take it out of PEPFAR funding, so Giliead would not lose money and America’s would not loss jobs.  We could also make a compact with Gilead  to open a couple more manufacturing plants in the USA to mass produce Atripla( put HIV people back to work with good health insurance, a good pay check and hope for the future, saving again on USA resources and  money) 
And then employ the above plan to bring Atripla price down and hopes for the 30 million people with HIV/AIDS that don’t have AIDSMEDS a fighting chance to live another day for the supply would go up and the price would come down.
I thought I share today what  A Cure for AIDS could look like and know my Faith tells me the Cure for AIDS is in one’s heart of action.
I sure this plan needs more research and fleshing out , but here it is in Black and White or what the beltway people would call a White Page and please feel free to forward, copy or use this intellectual property as Open Souce and Public Domain for my heart is for the 30 million HIV people that are crying out for Help in our global communities.
Sincerely,
Frederick Wright
GNP+USA

Offline littlefire

« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2009, 11:33:06 am »
I don't know why people are so fanatical about a cure for AIDS/HIV. Why can't we just be realistic? I mean come on, how many viruses do you know of that we have a cure for? Not even the flu counts there and we've been getting that virus for millions of years. I certainly can't think of one.

So what are the chances we'll ever find a cure for AIDS? Realistically, NIL. It is a virus. Antibiotics don't work for viruses. End of story.

What can we hope for? Better medicines. Immunization. Strides in DNA therapy may make a dent sometime in the future. But none of those counts as a cure.

We can win the war on AIDS with science. But if we carry on thinking about AIDS in unnatural, supernatural, overoptimistic and uninformed terms, we will lose.

Just my 2c Zimbabwean.

Offline littlefire

« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2009, 11:34:43 am »
Correction: We haven't been getting flu for millions of years because the modern human race is only 60000 years old. But we've probably been catching flu for most of that time anyway.

Offline betonet

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:25 pm »
Littlefire, How can you compare flu with HIV. What is the cure for FLU? Who will search for it, when the body always cures the flu by itself. Drink paracetamol, Vitamin C, Aspirin and the flu is gone. It cures by itself.

You know it's not the same question with HIV/AIDS.

The only thing I say is that much more budget should be spent on a cure. And I believe it could come out somewhere soon. Especially with these gene therapies.

But the big buys pulling the strings - do they want to be found a cure? I doubt it. Economically told - AIDS is one of the biggest bussiness. So that's why a cure was still not found I think. Just an opinion.

Dec 2008 - diagnosed +
Jan 2009  CD4 550  CD4% ??  VL 40 000
Feb 2009  CD4 330  CD4% 18  VL Unknown
Apr 2009  CD4 406  CD4% 20  VL Unknown
May 2009  CD4 380  CD4% ??  VL 27 000
June 2009 CD4 395  CD4% ??  VL Unknown
Sept 2009 CD4 344  CD4% ??  VL 44 000
Jan   2010 CD4 397  CD4% ??  VL 250 000
May  2010 CD4 370  CD4% 16  VL 750 000
Aug 2010 CD4 385  CD4% 14  VL Unknown
Dec 2010 CD4 315  CD4% ??  VL Unknown
Jan 2010 CD4 285 CD4% ?? VL Unknown
No meds yet

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2009, 06:11:58 pm »
Why find a cure? Cos at, say (conservatively), $5-50,000 a piece (depending on geographical region) and 40+ million people that's a load of cash, plus the new infection rate ain't really decreasing, and the marketing kudos in terms of brand for having found a cure is mucho mucho big (= more sales of other durgs, greater investment). Plus perhaps corporate mission. Many drug cos produce products which cure people, eg antibiotics. - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2009, 07:25:57 pm »
I don't know why people are so fanatical about a cure for AIDS/HIV. Why can't we just be realistic? I mean come on, how many viruses do you know of that we have a cure for? Not even the flu counts there and we've been getting that virus for millions of years. I certainly can't think of one.

As for the flu, i think you are confusing 2 differente things: cure and immunity.

Everybody has a cure for the flu. Your own natural defenses cure it, whenever you have a flu and gets rid of it. That is why no big money will be ever spent in a cure for the flu, cause healthy human immune systems are able to cure the flu naturally.

Maybe you are refering to the fact that, despite curing the flu every time we have it, we do not develop immune protection agaisnt it, which means we end up getting the flu again, sooner or later. But this does not mean our bodies are not able to cure it, it just means that, despite curing it several times during the course of a lifetime, our immune systems are not able to develop immune protection.

Offline veritas

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2009, 05:43:17 am »

Offline georgep77

« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »
Why find a cure? Cos at, say (conservatively), $5-50,000 a piece (depending on geographical region) and 40+ million people that's a load of cash, plus the new infection rate ain't really decreasing, and the marketing kudos in terms of brand for having found a cure is mucho mucho big (= more sales of other durgs, greater investment). Plus perhaps corporate mission. Many drug cos produce products which cure people, eg antibiotics. - matt
You're totally right matt,is sad, but is the true   :-\
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2009, 01:39:43 pm »
Can I remind people that flu kills? We don't necessarily "cure flu everytime we have it".

During a typical year in the United States, 30,000 to 50,000 persons die as a result of influenza viral infection. Frequently cited numbers are 20,000 deaths each year, and 37,000 annual deaths. About 5-10% of hospitalizations for influenza lead to fatal outcome in adults.  source

2008-2009 Influenza Season Week 14 ending April 11, 2009
(All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.)
Synopsis:

During week 14 (April 5-11, 2009), influenza activity continued to decrease in the United States.

* Two hundred fifty-nine (9.0%) specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division were positive for influenza.
    * The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at the epidemic threshold.
    * Eight influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
    * The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was below the national baseline. Two of nine surveillance regions reported ILI above their region-specific baselines (East South Central and Mountain).
    * One state reported widespread influenza activity, 14 states reported regional activity; 22 states reported local influenza activity; the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 12 states reported sporadic influenza activity; and one state reported no influenza activity.
source

During the 2007--2008 season, influenza activity** peaked in mid-February and was associated with greater overall mortality, and higher rates of hospitalizations among children aged 0-4 years compared with each of the previous three seasons. Influenza A (H1) viruses were most commonly isolated from October to mid-January, but influenza A (H3) viruses increased in circulation in January and predominated during the season overall. From late March through May, when overall influenza activity was declining, more influenza B than influenza A viruses were reported. source read more

For example, in the US in 2005, there were 12,543 deaths in the US due to HIV Disease. source This can be compared to the estimated 30,000 to 50,000 influenza-attributable deaths each year in the US alone.

Just sayin...

Ann

edited to fix dodgy formatting
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:47:41 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2009, 01:51:47 pm »
"Can I remind people that flu kills? We don't necessarily "cure flu everytime we have it".
..."

What Ann said... and in addition the 1918 flu pandemic killed somewhere between 20 and 50 million people in one year.  US deaths were over 675,000.  And that was back when world population levels were still under 2 billion.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #125 on: April 25, 2009, 07:11:24 am »
Further food for thought on the flu-front:

Troubling news from Mexico.  Hope everyone here has had their flu shots.

"MEXICO CITY — Mexican officials, scrambling to control a swine flu outbreak that has killed as many as 61 people and infected possibly hundreds more in recent weeks, closed museums and shuttered schools for millions of students in and around the capital on Friday, and urged people with flu symptoms to stay home from work.

Most of Mexico’s dead were young, healthy adults, and none were over 60 or under 3 years old, the World Health Organization said. That alarms health officials because seasonal flus cause most of their deaths among infants and bedridden elderly people, but pandemic flus — like the 1918 Spanish flu, and the 1957 and 1968 pandemics — often strike young, healthy people the hardest.

Mexican officials promised a huge immunization campaign in the capital in the coming days, while urging people to avoid large gatherings and to refrain from shaking hands or greeting women with a kiss on the right cheek, as is common in Mexico"

Full story  http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/25/world/americas/25mexico.html?em

Thank you Assurbanipal, for posting this on the forums.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.