Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:16:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 163
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: freaking out and upset  (Read 12592 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
freaking out and upset
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:48:31 am »
Hey gang

I know it is late (on EST) but I need to vent/talk.  Today I went for an ultrasound due to the fact that my liver function test was elevated, I have some pain after I eat in that area, and most of you know my diarrhea problems.  Well, the test itself was painless even though the tech was a bitch.  She said there is a "significant mass on my liver that is connected to my gallbladder but your doctor will tell you what that mean" 

I am so afraid it is cancer.  I thought she would tell me your levels were high because you drank like a fish or your meds are causing you to have a fatty liver but he showed me...there is a mass the shape of a golfball on my liver.

ugh....so sad

Pete

Offline joemutt

Re: freaking out and upset
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:54:20 am »
She shouldn't have told you that. When will you see the doctor?
Wishing you will be alright. Hugs.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 02:06:06 am »
full disclosure

I basically beat her into telling me something.  It wanst her place but I was so nervous. 

Offline joemutt

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:26 am »
That's understandable, too. Try not to beat yourself up about it and wait for the doctor.
It's easy to say but try to relax for now.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 02:18:51 am »
Thanks Joe :) 

ARHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH   

that is a primal type :)

Offline lylanova

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 02:21:07 am »
Hi... just wanted to send a hug.
Let's wait and see... I know it's hard to wait... but... try to say yourself you will be stronger than whatever it is.

"And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am "
Iris, Goo Goo Dolls

Diagnosed 02/2010- prob. seroconversion Feb 2007
02/2010 CD4 416 (16%) VL 52.416
03/2010 CD4 362 (16%) VL 102.530
04/2010 CD4 425 (17%) VL 91.245 started Kaletra+Truvada
05/2010 CD4 547 (17.5%) VL 883
07/2010 CD4 335 (18%)    VL 35
09/2010 CD4 646 (??%) VL undetactable !!! yesss

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 02:27:07 am »
thanks

please just let me vent even if it is irrational. 

I can't have cancer.  My aunt last year died of cancer. I love her so much.  She had stroke before death that was horrible.  I miss her so much.

ugh...I felt so powerless then and right now I feel similar

I know I am being a drama queen.  I just need to say it to you guys instead of sleeping on it or telling my folks.

I wll feel better in the am

Pete

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 02:48:48 am »
Hey Pete,

It is possible that you have gallstones that have travelled to your common bile duct and caused inflammation.  This would explain your symtpms and also the location of the mass - not that I am a doctor.  The term mass is used to describe lots of things - including zits and constipation! ( obviously not in your case )

When is your appointment with your doctor?  Can you bring it forward?
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:18 am »
Hi Pete,

I think venting IS rational---it's the place to put all your concerns and worst-case predictions. It's a way to direct all that adrenaline.

By the time you read this, I hope you've had some sleep...and I hope you hear from the doctor soon.

When are you suppposed to get word?

Em

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:50:50 am »
You are not being a drama queen. I hope it turns out to be something benign. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:54:58 am »
Pete, whenever we're upset by something, we should talk (or post) about it.  That's how the feelings of doom get a bit alleviated. 

That tech, whether or not you "bullied" her, should not have told you anything about what the ultrasound was showing.  That was totally wrong.  I realize you're probably sleeping now, but when do you talk to the doctor? 

Hopefully when you wake today, you'll be feeling some better.  Just try not to get a fatalistic view of this finding, as you know that will only make things worse.  Keep venting if you need to, and try to do something today to take your mind off this for awhile.
 Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:57:43 am »
Pete, I don't think that you are being dramatic.   Venting here is more than fine, that's part of the reason why support forums exist... so please keep us updated.  Hopefully everything is OK.  Wishing you the best.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 08:51:40 am »

Pete,

I can totally understand your fear and needing to vent, get that stuff off your chest.  Please keep us updated.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 01:50:11 pm »
Hi Pete:
Sorry u are going thru stress.  Just to let u know - it is best to wait for doctor to let u know what may be up.  A few year ago they say two "masses" on my liver and both turned out to be cysts -- doc said almost like internal birthmarks.  Also, my partner was in hospital last week and they told him he had mass on his pancreas --- turned out to be a cyst as well..... Best to u -- keep venting -- and let us know what doc says
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »
hey guys

Thanks for the word of encouragement.   I woke today and feel MUCH better. 

I was thinking about it and this "mass" might have been there forever so no need to threat about it until I talk to the doc.

It take 3 business days for the test results to get to the doctor so I will hear more on Thursday.

I will keep all of you posted.

Thanks again :)

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 02:53:08 pm »
You are not being a drama queen. I hope it turns out to be something benign. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Bona Fide Drama Queen? There are a few here (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE), but you really don't qualify.

seriously, we are glad you posted this. keep us up to date; we do care.

-steven (aka  8)  megasept)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 02:53:44 pm »
Pete,

Chances are if the mass on your liver was something serious they wouldn't be letting you hang out like this.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 03:15:48 pm »
I'm gonna play psychic and assume you need to have your gallbladder removed.  You said yuo were having pain.  Was it severe stabbing pain mostly at night or after large meals?  Directly underneath your right rib?

Hope your feeling okay.

Offline northernguy

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 03:28:07 pm »
Hang in there Pete.  The hardest part is waiting to meet with your doc.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Basquo

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »
The tech can't tell from the imaging if it's actually attached to your liver or not.  The radiologist who interprests it might not even be able to tell. With masses that size there's usually a lot of "acoustic shadowing" and what they hopefully did was a Doppler study so they can see if there's any blood flow. They might send you for a CT of the abdomen next, or they might send you straight to surgery. I think you can work on preparing yourself for surgery, but the big "C" is never a sure thing until the pathologist looks at what they take out.

All that said, I'm hoping for the best news and relief for your pain. That's what gall bladder surgery is for. And don't sweat it just yet!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 07:26:35 pm »
PeteNYNJ, have you heard of fatty liver? Wait on your doctor to explain everything to you. Don't get yourself in an anxiety spin.. Looking to hear about your outcome.

Offline Jody

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 09:28:36 pm »
As others have stated Pete, no reason to put the cart before the horse, most of the things we think about in anticipation don't turn out to be anything, so the news may be that it is nothing at all, or something minor.

Good luck and be well.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 04:34:20 am »
I wish ya good news.  I've known of people who were told they had something serious and turned out to be nothing.  My mom was told there was something serious on her lung x-ray, but turned out to be some kind of shadow or something. 

It very well could be large gall-stones causing the "mass".  We can all say encouraging things, but I can only imagine what you're going through.  I would probably freak out.  In the unlikely event it turned out to be the big C, you've caught it early.  And, as others said, many masses are benign. 

I'll be thinking about ya--I know that isn't much help.   

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 04:58:01 am »
it is a lot of help

I think it is my gallbaldder.  I ate a sloppy joe today and the pain was so much I was doubled over.  My sis, who is a nurse and had hers removed, told me this is your gallbladder so stop worrying.  She actually did some kind of push on my belly that hurt much for a second buy I feel so much better since then.  She told me she thinks by doing that she moved a gallstone.

That may all be bullshit but I do feel much better.

we shall see what happends.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 05:30:43 am »
Pete, take care pleased that your sister was on hand , the tech should not off said anything let alone a statement so ambiguous.
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 06:03:38 am »
it is a lot of help

I think it is my gallbaldder.  I ate a sloppy joe today and the pain was so much I was doubled over.  My sis, who is a nurse and had hers removed, told me this is your gallbladder so stop worrying.  She actually did some kind of push on my belly that hurt much for a second buy I feel so much better since then.  She told me she thinks by doing that she moved a gallstone.

That may all be bullshit but I do feel much better.

we shall see what happends.

Heh, I told you I was psychic :D

If she thinks it's your gallbladder and it's happening directly after you eat, that's probably what it is.  There is also a correlation between gallbladder problems and hiv infection.  I've had mine out.   A gallbladder attack is probably the most uncomfortable pain I've ever suffered through in my entire life.  They can take it out really quickly and easily however, so you'll be well on your way.  Good luck bub!

Offline bear60

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 02:10:30 pm »
Hey Pete
You will be fine. 
Hugs
Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 03:20:20 pm »

Pete, glad you are feeling better. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
Thanks guys

What was I thinking eating a Sloppy Joe with my stomach issue?  LOL

Old habits die hard I guess

Pete

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:28 pm »
Thanks guys

What was I thinking eating a Sloppy Joe with my stomach issue?  LOL

Old habits die hard I guess

Pete

It's probably good because you were able to see a direct link that seems to indicate gall stones/gallbladder.

It might not be a bad idea, if you can stand it, to test it again by eating something fatty. This is one of the ways to be able to pinpoint gallbladder issues. Maybe if your case is more intense this might not be a good idea, hard for anyone else to make that call.

I had slight gallbladder issues that have now resolved and I think in my case, because it wasn't that serious, what helped was adding lecithin to my supplements and taking 1 to 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil at night before bed (this helps move the bile). Beets and beet juice is also very good for these issues, as are cucumber juice, apple juice and aloe vera.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:19:49 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 07:28:53 am »
Pete, I had my gallbladder out the 2nd year after being diagnosed (which would have been 1990), and I can tell you, it's the easiest surgery I've ever been through.  I don't know what it's like today, but when I had mine done, I only had to stay overnight in the hospital. 

Gallbladder attacks are extremely painful; the only thing I can think of that matches the pain I experienced is childbirth.  Hopefully the doctor will be getting in touch real soon, and these issues can be resolved. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 12:32:07 pm »
Pete, I had my gallbladder out the 2nd year after being diagnosed (which would have been 1990), and I can tell you, it's the easiest surgery I've ever been through.  I don't know what it's like today, but when I had mine done, I only had to stay overnight in the hospital. 

Gallbladder attacks are extremely painful; the only thing I can think of that matches the pain I experienced is childbirth.  Hopefully the doctor will be getting in touch real soon, and these issues can be resolved. 

In 1990 were they doing them laparascopically yet?  My sister got hers out in I think 89  or 88 and they made this huge gash in fact she still has a scar.  You can't even see the scars from where they went in for mine and I only had the surgery 3 years ago?

Offline iking2009

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 01:58:02 pm »
Hey gang

I know it is late (on EST) but I need to vent/talk.  Today I went for an ultrasound due to the fact that my liver function test was elevated, I have some pain after I eat in that area, and most of you know my diarrhea problems.  Well, the test itself was painless even though the tech was a bitch.  She said there is a "significant mass on my liver that is connected to my gallbladder but your doctor will tell you what that mean" 

I am so afraid it is cancer.  I thought she would tell me your levels were high because you drank like a fish or your meds are causing you to have a fatty liver but he showed me...there is a mass the shape of a golfball on my liver.

ugh....so sad

Pete
Whoa..I hope all is well with you 4real
"One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory."
-- Rita Mae Brown

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »

In 1990 were they doing them laparascopically yet?  My sister got hers out in I think 89  or 88 and they made this huge gash in fact she still has a scar.  You can't even see the scars from where they went in for mine and I only had the surgery 3 years ago?

Yes, I had it done laparoscopically.  In fact, during the first 4 years of being poz, I had four surgeries (gallbladder included) that was laparoscopic.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 06:24:25 pm »
I'm joining this a little late in the game but want TO wish you luck.  I know you won't know what is going on for sure until Thursday but, in the meantime, you could try a gallbladder diet to see if it helps.  I found it on a site called "www.gallbladderattack.com" (?!)  :o

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 06:31:18 pm »
Gallbladderattack.com eh? Always good to read the "about us" link on such sites:

Deborah Graefer, L.Ac. M.T.O.M.

Graduating magna cum laude from Pacific College of Oriental Medicine in San Diego, California in 1994, with a Masters in Traditional Oriental Medicine Debbie was licensed by the State of California in September of the same year.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:05 pm »
I was talking to a friend who was having moles checked out.  The doc told him he thought they were cancerous.  After biopsy, they were fine.  So, another example of being told something is worse than it is.

It sounds like your gall bladder.  My brother has this problem.  Everytime he eats, he has pain around liver and has to use the bathroom.  I even get the pain and rumbles and bathroom stuff sometimes after eating.  After eating chinese and then a Little Debbie Oatmeal Pie over the wknd, my stomach went nuts with bowels rumbling and so much pain.  I think many of us have issues, but others are much worse.

About the laparoscopic removal, I've heard that it is much easier and ya don't have to be cut open, but I think I've heard there can be more complications.  I may be remembering this wrong.  Anyone else know?  Regardless, let us know how ya do and what happens with that "mass".

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:28 am »
Pete,
It is so much easier to tell someone else that things will work and to keep a positive attitude. Things go down much easier with a smile I guess it's less stress on the face. My thoughts are with you.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05:44 am »
Hello All

I got my results back a few days ago....Fatty Liver Disease and gallstones.  Doc said the FLD could be controlled with diet (I am Fatty too) and the gallbladder can wait to come out. (they are small).

Feeling MUCH better

Pete

Offline bigpa

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 02:16:21 am »
All the best. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 04:41:00 am »
Hello All

I got my results back a few days ago....Fatty Liver Disease and gallstones.  Doc said the FLD could be controlled with diet (I am Fatty too) and the gallbladder can wait to come out. (they are small).

Feeling MUCH better

Pete

*grin* Good.
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline next2u

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 10:56:40 pm »
definitely better than the alternatives. ill take the best case scenario any day.

take care pete.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 10:59:27 pm »
Hello All

Feeling MUCH better

Pete

Actually meant to reply to this a week or two ago.  I will caution you that I had some gallstone distress about a year and a half before having mine removed.  I knew what it was and didn't adjust my diet.  Over time the attacks got worse, the pain more intense, and of course it led up to the organ being removed.  I'm not sure if you'll go through the same process, but basically you want to cut your fat intake down to almost nothing.  Specifically very greasy or deep fried foods (which are what will upset the gallbladder the most).  If you ever get to the point where it's waking you up in the middle of the night you're probably headed toward having it removed.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:09 pm »
I know this was awhile ago but I'm having some issues myself now and wanted to give this a bump as I am pretty sure they are gallbladder related.

I was wondering how things turned out. Did you have surgery? Any issues prior to this issue regarding low Vitamin D levels?

Thanks
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.