Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:15:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PEP AND PrEP NON EXSISTANT AT MY LOCAL HOSPITAL??  (Read 5376 times)

Offline thisisuser1

PEP AND PrEP NON EXSISTANT AT MY LOCAL HOSPITAL??
« on: July 03, 2009, 07:12:12 pm »
It was one month ago i had a very high risk exposure with someone highly likely to have hiv. I was drunk and made a stupid mistake. I do take responsibility of my actions. Within hours of exposure i went to local hospital here in USA. I asked for PEP told them i had risky exposure and they tell me they don't know what im talking about. Furthormore a dr came in and said no such thing.

This was at 5:00am in the morning. I don't know why they misled me. I then thought hmm i guess this is only availible in forign countries not in USA. So i gave up in search and now i think im poz.

Is there a database or search that says which hospitals have PEP.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 12:06:29 am by thisisuser1 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: PEP AND PrEP NON EXSISTANT AT MY LOCAL HOSPITAL??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 08:22:04 pm »
Now that your post was moved to the proper forum. I'm here to tell you I don't believe a word of your post. It's possible that the hospital doesn't have the PEP drugs but you would have been written a script to get filled if you had an exposure that met the guidelines for prescribing PEP.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 09:42:53 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 09:42:25 pm »
user,

PEP is generally available in most large US hospitals. Perhaps the doctor you spoke to was just uninformed, or maybe the hospital was a small one that doesn't ordinarily stock the medications necessary for PEP.

What do you consider to be "a very high risk exposure"? You may be worrying over nothing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thisisuser1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »
i had unprotected vaginal sex. It was a sex worker and i was protected in the beggining but after i couldnt stay erect i removed condom and had unprotected vaginal sex for under 2 minutes. The hospital pissed me off telling me there no such thing. It was large hospital.

Offline thisisuser1

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 01:50:21 am »
I'm going to test at 6 weeks and if its negative again at 3 months. But if it's indeed positive do i have a lawsuit? I really am very angry with this hospital.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 06:30:24 am »
This,

No, you wouldn't have a lawsuit. PEP isn't recommended for a one-time, unprotected insertive vaginal incident with a woman of unknown hiv status. Why? Because the chance of you ending up positive from this encounter is very slim. To give you PEP would have been to go against the guidelines. PEP consists of heavy-duty drugs that cause side-effects. Many people who start on PEP never finish the whole 28 day course because of these side-effects.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. It's very unlikely you'll test positive because of this encounter.

It's not just sex workers you need to be using condoms with. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

As you say, test at six weeks and confirm your negative result at three months. And please, learn from this and use condoms for the WHOLE act.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thisisuser1

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 08:05:41 am »
Ann, thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:48:56 am »
In addition to Ann's always accurate words of wisdom, I'll add that mixing casual sex with excessive drinking is a good thing to avoid. You can have sex with anyone you like. Just do it soberly and always without exception wear a condom. Doing it soberly allows you to make safer choices such as when your willy goes soft. (Which happens to lots of guys).

Your overall risk was low and like Ann I expect you to test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline thisisuser1

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 10:45:12 am »
Hi all,

I just got off the phone with the lady at the home access hotline. My test results at 43 days is Negative. This is 6.14 weeks. I couldn't believe it. I told her cmon what are you serious.

First off i was connected to an operator during results and i was like i knew it, here we go its possitive. She got on the phone and said negative. This was because i said i was likely to test positive at registration.

I was so sure i had it but i guess not. Thanks you all for the support you guys really do make this place helpful and home in times of pain.

I will test again at 3 months

Offline thisisuser1

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:55:08 am »
p.s. i this wouldnt effect my test. The blood i used for the test was takenen from a Varicose Vein on my theigh. I didnt like the fact of pricking my finger so i just cut this small red vein i found on my leg. It delivered more than enough blood and i hope this is the same thing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:31 am »
This,

It doesn't matter what part of your body you got the blood from - although I would say cutting a varicose vein probably wasn't the brightest idea. That's a good way to get a bacterial infection.

I don't expect your three month confimatory test to be anything other than another negative and neither should you. You were never likely to end up positive over this brief, one-time incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline thisisuser1

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 10:31:56 am »
I have been getting headaches alot lately. I cant help but think this is due to hiv. Is this 6 week negative likely to change? Has there been any cases where it has changed? Whats the likelyhood that it will change?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:35:48 am »
A headache? Take an asprin. Symptoms will never tell you anything about your status. You have been advised when to obtain a conclusive test result.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.