Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:01:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 680
Total: 681

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Superior Nutrition Through BBQ & Beer...  (Read 11467 times)

Offline DodgerDawg

• "Dude, It Could Be Worse"
Superior Nutrition Through BBQ & Beer...
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:46 pm »
Oh did I mention besides a catchy subject title, Superior Nutrition Through BBQ, & Beers, there's also "Shopping @ Moms" an often under reported past time of the Nutritionally aware... "Hey mom, are you doing anything with these dusty ole bottles of California wine your clients have been plying you with for years? Mind if I take like 12 or so..."

Here on the ranch today we're grilling chicken, with home made sides of onion rings & green chili cornbread, ice cold beers, and later sugar cookies.

Cocktails on the veranda starting at 4pm: martinis, cheese and fruit plate and $6 crackers from moms.

Anemia ain't got nothin on me...

Take away: 1) Burning the Q is good (smells good, tastes good, good for you).
                 2) Shopping at Mom's (or Dad's, Bro's, Friends) is good (for everyone).

Next post: Grilling secrets for the "Grilling Unaware", or how "I screwed your boyfriend, while you were watching meat cook"

Kevin

January 2014 CD4 = 5      .03%  VL = 1,800,000
June      2014 CD4 = 206  .15%  VL =            48
January 2015 CD4  = 211  .13%  VL =            71
June      2015 CD4 = 155  .12%  VL =             UD
July       2015 CD4 = 148  .11%  VL =             48

Offline zach

Re: Superior Nutrition Through BBQ & Beer...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:36:18 pm »
 ;) so... your mom... she cooks like this often?

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:35 pm »
Hey Zach,

Mom lives on her own spread, and unfortunately doesn't cook much anymore, however, SHOPPING at moms is a favorite past time, although not as favorite as "beating the banana"... just sayin.

I have a tip for the aspiring home cook... The number 1 mistake home cooks make is the UNDER SEASONING of whatever your preparing.

So DodgerDawg, how can I, a regular beer drinking kind of person, cook well, AND hit on my guests boyfriends while watching meat cook?

OK, get a grip... for starters, some talent is required; such as, but not limited to the ability to stare at ass without getting busted... AND some imagination.

So tip number 1: If in doubt, order out, or invite somebody over who knows what the heck is going on when actual cooking is required...

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »
Post the recipe for the cornbread please ... pretty please .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »
Jeff, this catches me off guard... revealing such personal and private thoughts... however for a more and complete prognosis (dude you're screwed), I will reveal all that I know about "Green Chili Cornbread".

Tip #1:

Cook from scratch whenever possible or find someone who does...

The Recipe for Green Chili Cornbread

1       cup yellow cornmeal
1/2    teaspoon sea salt (NO NOT USE TABLE SALT)
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 oz  Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese - grated
1       can sweet creamed corn
1       cup sour cream
1       stick melted butter
3       eggs
8       ounces hot green chili (chopped semi rough, as in rustic)

Please note - No Flour

Now for the crux of the recipe -

Mix all of the above. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 glass or metal pan. Bake at 350, for an hour, uncovered. Test with toothpick.

Ideas to kick it up a notch:  I don't buy store bought bacon. I purchase Smithfield dry cured bacon from Virginia. Use the bacon drippings to grease the pan and or, add drippings to the cornbread mix prior to cooking.

Use Chili's you bought on vacation while in New Mexico... This is great for your street cred.

Use a cast iron skillet to bake the cornbread in (believe me, this little trick pays off).

Hot cornbread, butter and (for me) orange marmalade. Your milage may very, could be completely different, and if you should get laid, for the goodness of gawd, tell us!

Kevin

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 05:39:46 pm »
Thanks YUM YUM YUM .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 06:12:55 pm »
Here is a heads up for tomorrows superior side dish; in certain circles, the only dish.

Potatoes Dauphinois

(dear friends, this is how I do it... I've made it my own. You are free to screw it up any way you want...)

My version:

1  1/4 stick of butter
2   lbs RUSSET Potatoes, peeled, sliced just under 1/4" inch (5mm) using a mandolin
2   cloves garlic (minced)
1   cup GRUYERE cheese - shredded (4 oz or 125 grams)
1   can evaporated milk (or 14 ozs heavy cream)

sea salt - to taste - potatoes require a lot. remember that home cooks always under season. so season, and taste! taste!
pepper (white, although I use black)

preheat the oven to 350.

using a 9 inch gratin dish or metal pan, brush the butter, bottom and sides.
layer half the potatoes in the dish, season to taste, each layer. add half the cheese.
add the next layer of potatoes, cheese and then seasoning...

add the evaporated milk or cream (your choice). cook for about an hour until golden brown. (my experience is about 70 minuets).

Serve right away.... also makes killer left overs with the microwave...

remember to season, taste, and re season.

Kevin

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 10:04:05 am »
Sitting here at 6:44am at the Sunny Southern California ranch test kitchen, awaiting my 8:30am doctor appt. Thought I'd pass along a BBQ tip whilst waiting for the clock to tic away.

Should you have an interest in kicking up your BBQ ribs or chicken? Try this flavor profile:

Take your ribs or chicken out of the package. Rinse off in the sink with cold water, pat dry. Using a 16x9 glass dish or in a pinch, plastic food wrap, place the ribs or chicken in the dish or on the plastic. ADD liberal amounts of McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix to both sides, and evenly distribute, about 2 - 3ozs. (that's correct, I use a restaurant size container, available at Costco, Smart n Final or Sams Club) Place in the fridge at least 24 hours prior to grilling. One hour before grilling remove the meat and allow to come to room temperature. Do not remove the rub before or after grilling.

This "rub" imparts a southwestern, earthy flavor profile. People who visit the ranch always comment favorably, and are floored when I show them the McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix.

This rub works. Go from OK BBQ to great BBQ, in 24 hours.

Kevin

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:09:25 am »
Sitting here at 6:44am at the Sunny Southern California ranch test kitchen, awaiting my 8:30am doctor appt. Thought I'd pass along a BBQ tip whilst waiting for the clock to tic away.

Should you have an interest in kicking up your BBQ ribs or chicken? Try this flavor profile:

Take your ribs or chicken out of the package. Rinse off in the sink with cold water, pat dry. Using a 16x9 glass dish or in a pinch, plastic food wrap, place the ribs or chicken in the dish or on the plastic. ADD liberal amounts of McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix to both sides, and evenly distribute, about 2 - 3ozs. (that's correct, I use a restaurant size container, available at Costco, Smart n Final or Sams Club) Place in the fridge at least 24 hours prior to grilling. One hour before grilling remove the meat and allow to come to room temperature. Do not remove the rub before or after grilling.

This "rub" imparts a southwestern, earthy flavor profile. People who visit the ranch always comment favorably, and are floored when I show them the McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix.

This rub works. Go from OK BBQ to great BBQ, in 24 hours.

Kevin

here i thought sure you're the kind of guy that would kill his own hog, pluck his own chicken

smh... just another wal mart shopper ;)

Offline Dan0

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:44 am »
here i thought sure you're the kind of guy that would kill his own hog, pluck his own chicken

smh... just another wal mart shopper ;)

UGH....please don't mention Wal Mart.  I still have emotional scars from the sights I saw yesterday when I was drug there.  Portland, Chicago or Miami......they're all the same. Who KNEW you could use a scrunchy to keep your bra straps together in the back?

BTW - the best ribs are the ones from the pressure cooker and Sweet Bay Ray BBQ Sauce.  TDF.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 10:53:35 am »
UGH....please don't mention Wal Mart.  I still have emotional scars from the sights I saw yesterday when I was drug there.  Portland, Chicago or Miami......they're all the same. Who KNEW you could use a scrunchy to keep your bra straps together in the back?

BTW - the best ribs are the ones from the pressure cooker and Sweet Bay Ray BBQ Sauce.  TDF.

A woman I know told me a child pointed at her at Wallmart and told her momma look mommy a skinny woman .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 01:59:32 pm »
#mommaneedssomecornbread

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:03:41 pm by BKKKevin »

Offline Dan0

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »
Good Lord - I think I know him.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 03:24:10 pm »
Good Lord - I think I know him.

Naw ... all pissed off drag queens look the same .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DodgerDawg

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 03:43:06 pm »
"Naw ... all pissed off drag queens look the same"

Well, be in WeHo at 2am; have 12 - 16 beers under your belt; as in OverServed, things might start to look a little different. Not that I would... or have ever been OverServed while in WeHo at 2am; personally I'd put it down as a seriously nutritionally challenged drag queen; thus the anger, and poor choice of primary color.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 06:24:38 pm »
Use a cast iron skillet to bake the cornbread
Besides leaving blizzards behind in OH, I moved back to the Carolinas for the BBQ.

the only way to cook cornbread is in a cast iron skillet.
you're recipe sounds interesting, but where is the buttermilk?  ;)

a cast iron skillet was my only request one Christmas (back when we all thought da aids was gonna kill me) and I still use it 2-4 times a month to make cornbread.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 02:10:01 am »
 mmm ribs , mmm beer.Yet I have received no invite  :-\
Lee
prezista with a kick from norvir,
Truvada, Intellence. celexa,xanax.Revolving statin

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.