Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 723661
  • Total Topics: 58877
  • Online Today: 402
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 279
Total: 282

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thailand  (Read 8694 times)

Offline wardp

Re: Thailand
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2017, 12:20:57 AM »
Hi i, was diagnosed last week, just got test results back....HIV viral load 3,462 copies  Cd4 289, what are my best medication options,? (Generic). I would like to avoid meds that are known to cause depression etc, I'm in bangkok, I hope to see Dr tomorrow, current meds , omeprazole aspirin 75mg, simastatin 40mg enapril 10mg, advice appreciated, thank you
Diagnosed 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld 3000. Started atripla 4 Aug 2017 5oct 2017 cd4 384 21%, vl ud less than 20. Switch to complera 4 Nov 2017 switched to stribild 15 the Nov.

Offline daveR

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2017, 01:20:44 AM »
To be honest your best advice will come from your Dr. Don't be afraid to ask questions concerning side effects and food requirements. Some pills require a full meal others an empty stomach. Consider your own personal regime and give it some thought before you see the Dr. Write the questions down.
The medication can be purchased relatively cheaply from the Thai Red Cross but you will need a letter from your Dr. They do not have the up to date regimes in Thailand as aproval here takes a while and generics are not available for everything.
Good luck with it all.

Dave

Offline wardp

Re: dr phillip pattaya info?
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2017, 04:26:22 AM »
Hi, can anyone please give me some info on Dr Phillip in pattaya' preferably, someone who is or has been treated by him? Thank you,
Diagnosed 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld 3000. Started atripla 4 Aug 2017 5oct 2017 cd4 384 21%, vl ud less than 20. Switch to complera 4 Nov 2017 switched to stribild 15 the Nov.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2017, 08:12:34 AM »
Here is his website.  More info there. 
http://www.heartt2000.org/

Offline Expat1

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:16 AM »
Since you are in Bangkok, I recommend that you go to the evening clinic at Thai Red Cross. 
website is Adams love

Offline Expat1

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »

Offline Mindless

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2017, 06:09:32 AM »
Hi Wardp,

I have no such a long experience (diagnosed about 6 months ago). Anyways, all information above by DaveR and Expat1 is definitely valuable and I can confirm it for what is worth.

If you go through this thread (and not only of course) you will find some of the information you need to start: the Thai Red Cross Clinic is for sure one of the main references in Bkk. I've been told they also offer counseling services but I didn't try them myself yet. As I said, if you go through this thread you can find many references: websites, addresses, doctors names etc.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:13:35 AM by Mindless »

Offline Mindless

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2017, 06:18:18 AM »
This is Thai Red Cross website: http://en.trcarc.org/?page_id=632

and here you can find the list of all available medications at Thai Red Cross (including the generic versions if available): http://adamslove.org/en-d.php?id=73

M

Offline Mindless

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
Hi All,

writing to you because I'm feeling quite "vulnerable" lately and you all have become a reference for me when it comes to hiv related issues. I had my blood count done lately and visited my HIV dr: everything is fine with the virus (UD now  :))) except my cholesterol skyrocketed through the roof at unimaginable levels (total 302, LDL 226), therefore the doc suggested to start statins (Crestor) which I'll do as soon as I feel confortable.

I had a sort of breakdown 2 weeks ago while trying to get off of some of my antidepressants (sertraline, bupropion, quetiapine): quetiapine (Seroquel) is incompatible with what seems the most viable alternative (here in Thai) to the Atripla I'm taking: Complera (the generic version). Eventually I resolved to resume the antidepressant to keep me functioning and that in time meant to say goodbye to Complera. The idea was to try and see if Atripla is really affecting my mental status.

Now I'm trying to recover the (actually precarious) mental balance that I seemed to have regained before thinking to withdraw the antidepressant but it's really tough. The only thing that seems to keep me going on is clinging to my work and keep myself super busy with that. Another thing that was helping was the weekly swimming routine that I imposed to myself. Unfortunately, I had a relapse of Molluscum contagiosum (a skin disease related to HIV) which I firstly experienced for the first time months ago soon after I was diagnosed. So the skin dr suggested I refrain from swimming cause I may pass it to other swimmers until it's safely cured (maybe 1 month or more).
I will try to find alternative ways to relief my high level anxiety, maybe walking.

I don't know exactly why I'm writing this but, as I said, I feel very vulnerable and extremely anxious lately (my sleeping has become an issue as well). I'm almost 50 now and I see my future dark...

Sorry to bother you and being so self-pitying but I thought maybe I could use some encouragement.

M

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »
Bro,
Keep your head up. Luckily, you have options! Some people do not! Poor them, lucky you!
Imagine how it was for some of the LTS in this forum, back in the day when there was only one option (or none!). So life i not that bad - just a bit inconvenient right now.
Not belittling you predicament - just giving you perspective.
Re cholesterol - a few things you can try before statins - of course try and eat healthier, get some cardio exercise going - walks is a good start - and take fish oil pills. do that for 3 or 4 months and see if the results are better. Less cheese, less bacon, less burgers, more fish. If that doesn`t work, start statins. I managed to reduce mine from 247 to 210. Im aiming for under 200. Let`s see.
Re exercise, swimming is great, but walking is also good. Long walks, maybe weights if you can, maybe Yoga (it will also reduce your anxiety and stress).
Good luck!

Offline wardp

Re: Thailand cheaper meds?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2017, 02:10:19 AM »
This is good news mainly for THAIS. Expats are not part of nor benefit from "Gold Card Scheme" for which the NHSO procured the meds. Unfortunately expats have to rely on either private insurance or, in the case of our HIV meds/treatment, we need to pay cash. Luckily we have the Thai Red Cross (there are others) that sell generics and subsidized meds so that they are affordable.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
Hello Mindless

I'm glad to hear your getting good advice here and getting stronger.

I'm also an expat here diagnosed almost 4 years ago. I was started on Atripla which got my immune system better fast, was in it 9 months in total. I made a change to Endurant as well do to the fact I suffered bad side effects in the way of depression . I still took the other truvada part. It was the first time in my last few I suffered from depression and it was BAD from day 1 taking the drug till I stopped. Then, to me miraculously it disappeared in a day or two after changing my regime.

Due to kidney function problems last year I changed the truvada part of the regime out for live a and doing fine.

Things do get better, and we are so lucky to have options. Discuss with the Docters your seeing who know best.

I just wanted to share my story as I was in a bad place and see after it was from the side effects.

Wishing you all the best with warm hugs.

Reggie

Offline Expat1

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 07:46:40 AM »
A note of caution wardp, the omeprazole (or any other Proton Pump Inhibitor, PPI) that you take to reduce stomach acid, will not allow you to use Edurant (rilpivirine). 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.