Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:38:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 498
Total: 500

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: diagnosed 4 mos ago  (Read 6007 times)

Offline scarredlady

diagnosed 4 mos ago
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:50 am »
I am a 32 yo fem was diagnosed 4 mos ago. I am truly having a rough time dealing with this diagnosis. I no longer feel normal. I feel like a walking zombie. All i do is cry and stay isolated in my room. People keep telling me it will get better with time, but i don't feel that way. I used to love life, now sometimes I wish that I dint wake up 2 see the next morning. Can someone please help me. Seen a therapist, but that does not seem to be helping. I feel so scared and alone. How are you all able to deal with this? I no longer enjoy living! :'(

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: diagnosed 4 mos ago
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:43:07 am »
Hello scarredlady, sorry to find you so down right now.  Your diagnosis is new, and many people have this same situation at 4 months.  I'm glad to see, however, that you have sought out a therapist to help you work through this issue.  Generally speaking therapy takes time, and results are not instant.  Can you go into more detail about the therapy -- when did it start, how often do you go?  Are you taking an anti-depressants?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline scarredlady

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:57:13 am »
i statred going maybe about 2 mos ago. was teeing her weekly and talking on the phone. no I am not taking anti depressants at the moment because i am in my last trimester of pregnancy, but they want me to take zoloft. I am so scared of getting sick and dying and not being loved. I feel like my dreams have been shattered. wanted @ get married again and buy a house and everyhing now that's out the window because of this diagnosis. :'(

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:11:01 am »
Your viral load is undetectable and your cd4s are 1544 -- why do you think you're going to get sick and die?  You are allowing illogical thoughts to influence your anxiety levels.  As someone who has personally had a general anxiety disorder diagnosis and engaged in cognitive behavioral therapy for a decade I'll just say this is the type of therapy you should seek (most likely that's what your therapist is attempting).  An HIV diagnosis does not prevent you from fulfilling dreams, getting a house and/or getting married again.  A bad anxiety level is what will prevent you from doing all of that, however.

Stick with the therapy -- two months into that isn't very long.  Solving anxiety doesn't happen like flicking a light switch on/off, it's a gradual process.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:25:56 am »
Scarred Lady,

Welcome to the forums, and I trust you will work through some of this anxiety soon enough.

You speak of dreams, and home ownership.  I am  going to address this.  When I was told that I would die within six months, I freaked, and immediately refused to accept this declaration.  In the ensuing 27 years, I have been near death twice, and dead once.  Also, I have owned three businesses, bought and sold three homes, and moved states three times.  All of this by choice.  I have been active in HIV/AIDS work for the better part of 30 years, and most of those while I was HIV+, and sometimes very sick.  However, throughout all of this, I simply lived it day by day, which of course is all we can do.  I encourage you to start thinking about how you and your child are going to live the next 20 years, because you now have to start thinking about the teen years, the high school traumas your kid is going to deal with, graduation, marriage, college and a whole plethora of things that are going to come with the birth of your new baby.  I caution you that it will really go by very fast, and you now have to plan on ways to keep your body healthy, and your mind sharp and growing.  Life is a full time job and you simply don't have time to worry about dying from HIV/AIDS, because your plate is already full.  Vow to make your life full, happy and productive and I promise you that HIV will then become an inconvenience, instead of a death sentence.  Please think about it.  :)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline komnaes

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:00:02 am »
Hi Scarred, sorry about the diagnosis.

I know we will begin to sound like a broken record if we keep telling you that things will be fine, but as surprising as it may sound to you now, things will get better as long as you know where to seek help. When you have a chance you should also check out the "Positive Women" forums, where you can find a lot of fellow members who have gone through what you're going through now.

Wish you the best, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »

Scaredlady,

I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis.  I just wanted to tell you that your dreams are still very much obtainable.  My wife and I met after my diagnosis, had a baby, and own our home.  I am also about to start school in May to work towards becoming a RN.  Doing this at 41 will be tough, but I am determined.

So different was I just a few short years ago.  I was diagnosed in 2005.  I was single, my family shunned my existence, and I was severely depressed.  The depression was so severe it led me into a situation that got me held in a ward for 72 hr observation one day.  I was so sick and could not work,  the home I owned at the time was going into foreclosure, child support was mounting and adding up, and I had HIV and needed care, but had absolutely no medical insurance or a way to pay for it.  I was calling the CDC 1-800 number at 3 am like an idiot because the anxiety was killing me and I figured they would have someone to talk to.  Funny thing was they actually did, still remember her name, Melanie.  She pointed me out to a very good AIDS Service Organization (ASO), which if you haven't contacted one already they may be able to assist you in some ways if necessary.

Being diagnosed is nothing short of traumatic, it's going to take some time for you to heal from this dear.  Take deep breaths and allow yourself that time to heal, be good to yourself, and have a healthy baby.  If you have the time read the Lesson Section and ask as many questions as necessary.

Please, take care!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:07:29 am »
I think many of us had these same feelings right after diagnosis.  Hell, I still have many of these feelings over year later.  Learning about HIV has helped a lot.  Going to see a therapist has helped a lot.  These forums have helped so much.  It has been good to see people on here doing well after having HIV for 10, 15, 25 years.  That has helped me to realize this isn't a death sentence.  Having said that, I'm still on the journey.  I still have those depressed days where I worry about my health.  All of us in the healthcare system and monitoring our health should all grow old together on here. 

Keep in touch and all the best to you and the baby.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.