Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:44:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Matty, I am a weirdo, I use Wikipedia!  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Darkfiber

Matty, I am a weirdo, I use Wikipedia!
« on: August 12, 2006, 04:29:15 am »
Matty

So I am A weirdo! :-)

I use Wikipedia and I contribute.

And what I can say is, that in my area of competence (statistics, mathematics and natural science) the information on Wikipedia are as accurate as in every other Encyclopedia.

I know,  it's en vogue speaking against Wikipedia now. "Nature took" the time and analyzed the data. (http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051212/full/438900a.html).

And it's surprising that people on Aidsmeds.com (I mean those who contribute on the fears of part) are against the principle of an open encyclopedia. Because the fears of part on Aidsmeds.com is little else.

If somethings fundamentally wrong on Wikipedia it'll be corrected very soon. So it is on Aidsmeds.com. An often frequented open source project doesn't need an academic or scientific supervision, as long as the average contribution is good enough and/or the board is frequented  high enough by different people.

By the way, your beloved LINUX also is an open source project and the code gets better and better because many people contribute and test and if it is wrong they correct it. And now tell me Linux isn't the best operating system. There are many scientist and academics working on Windows, though! ;-)

Just my thoughts.

Darkfiber
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 04:30:48 am by Darkfiber »

Offline Cliff

Re: Matty, I am a weirdo, I use Wikipedia!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:03:28 am »
I don't know how accurate or inaccurate Wikipedia is (as a whole), but if it's truly open source, that does make it subject to less verification and editing controls than a traditional encyclopedia.  And vice versa, if it's subject to too much editing, (as in anyone can change any comment, anytime), that too would impact the reliability of the information.  I would assume that for most typical internet researches, it's probably not that bad of a source, and probably no less reliable than many other websites.  But that's not to say that it should be considered on par with every other encyclopedia.

Let's look closely at the topic you recently used it for.  You included information in the forums as if it was the authoritative source for determining which global organizations were terrorists.  Now I don't know most of the organizations on that listing, (and I suspect you don't either), but with a simple quick scan, I noted that the ANC was included (twice).  Once for being a terrorist organization and the second time for being a communist/terrorist organization. 

That's bullshit (as I already explained in that thread)....furthermore the ANC renounced its communist platform decades ago (nowhere was that mentioned...so they were presumably branded communist for life) and yet it's still included under the communist section.  Any knowledgeable (non-bias) reader of South African politics would know that the ANC party is far more pro-business/free market economy than Wikipedia would suggest.

The list also excludes all governmental and quasi-government organizations, (i.e., the apartheid South African government for example), that also (or have) commit(ed) acts of terror.

Now what about the other organizations that I know little about.  How can I now trust that the list is accurate, if I would dispute a couple of the few organizations that I am aware of.  To me, the entire list becomes suspect.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:05:32 am »
Hi Dark,

I'm not against Wackipedia - but I do use its pages with discretion. I tend to use it more as a springboard and not so much as an end result. I think it's a valuable tool when correctly used.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:33:45 am »
Hi Cliff

No I haven't used it as the authoritative source, I stated bold and clear that it was a "quick research on Wikipedia".

Authoritative source? No

Bullshit: No

Whats the authoritative source?

A governmental organisation?

George W. Bushs axis of evil?

John R. Boltons " beyond axis of evil?"

Mahmouds Ahmadinejad?

Another encyclopedia? Britannica, Brockhaus etc.

The UN

Swiss government ?

The ANC Homepage ?

I can only again quote Professor Adam Roberts:

-quote-

The definition of terrorism

Since there are common factors, it ought to be possible to define terrorism. In the 1960s the UN General Assembly embarked on an attempt to do this. Initially little progress was made, partly because many states were reluctant to go far along the road of outlawing terrorism unless at the same time the 'causes of terrorism' were addressed. Other states saw this approach as implying that terrorism was a response to real grievances, and thereby insinuating that it was justified.

Thus the main emphasis at the UN was on limited practical measures. In a series of 12 international conventions drawn up between 1963 and 1999, particular terrorist actions, such as aircraft hijacking and diplomatic hostage-taking, were prohibited. As the 1990s progressed, and concern about terrorism increased, the UN General Assembly embarked on discussions about defining and outlawing terrorism generally. Its Legal Committee issued a rough draft of a convention, which:

Reiterates that criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public, a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes are in any circumstances unjustifiable, whatever the considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or other nature that may be used to justify them.

'Is it reliance on terror that truly distinguishes a movement from its political opponents?'

There are still disagreements between states about this draft convention. Even if it is eventually agreed, there is a difference between agreement on the general principle of outlawing terrorism and its application to particular facts. The labelling of individuals and movements as 'terrorist' will remain complicated and highly political. Two key questions arise: (1) Is it reliance on terror that truly distinguishes a movement from its political opponents? (2) Even if parts of a movement have employed terrorist methods, is 'terrorist' an accurate description of the movement as a whole, made up of many different wings, and employing many different modes of action?

- end of quote -

There have been different wings with more or less fundamental believes in the ANC as well.

ANC's militant part was  Umkonto we Sizwe, founded 1961 by the ANC and the SACP (Nelson Mandela itself  had an important role in this organisation and it needed much discussion with Albert John Luthuli,  President of the ANC at that time, to convince him). Albert John Luthuli by the way is holder of the Nobel price award. 

While it was most of the time sabotage, there have been casualties (for example 1986 when a car-bomb detonated in front of a Restaurant in Durban leaving 3 dead and over 70's injured).

Carbombings are terror acts if we like it or not and no matter what the background was, according to the UN def nition.

That the ANC as a whole was and is very important,  without question.

As you said terrorism  is in the eye of the beholder. But then again many (or most) organisations of that kind fight for their believes. And supporters always find that it's not a terror organisation or the terror acts are justifiable because they live in a climate of repression or unfairness and fighting for a bigger picture and fairness. I have Irish friends that support the IRA.

Nevertheless it's still a form if terror.

I am a supporter of the actions of the ANC. But to support the ANC, it was important for me to understand the history of this organisation and party.

The ANC today is highly respected everywhere.

I also like my country Switzerland even it was founded on an act of terror (the murder of Gessler). At least this is what Schiller wrote....

All the best

Darkfiber

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 07:41:34 am by Darkfiber »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 08:17:50 am »
I'll comment on this in the goodness of time.  ::)

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 11:58:16 am »
Dark,

You're not weird, you're Swiss. A fine distinction, I know. ;) ;D

But yeah, Wikipedia is an/a .......................................................

MtD
(Who blah blah blah)

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:33:54 pm »
You aren't weird and you might not be lazy ,but you may use it cause you agree with much that is contributed.
I found way too much stuff there just totally wrong. Its often more editorial than fact and always has a far right or far left bent.
I don't think its fair to compare it in anyway to linux or firefox.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.