Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:03:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 477
Total: 479

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chantix Anyone  (Read 197288 times)

Offline PRMike

Re: Chantix Anyone
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2007, 10:43:21 am »
Hi Jerry71 thank you for your words of encouragement and I understand that there are times and things that make it hard for us to quit, it has happened to me alot of times not to mention that I really was not ready to quit but I think that you have to do whatever you need to do so that then you can give it your all and stop smoking, so I wish you well and i'll pray for you as I pray for everyone else. please keep me posted ok bye for now always Mike
PRMike

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2007, 08:51:45 pm »
Hello,I started the Chantix yesterday. I am already down  to 1 pack per day as opposed to 2 packs. My total quit date is the 18th. I got this cute little starter pack, fortunately medicaide covered it. Feeling hopeful reading your threads. Thanks,    Cristy

Offline komnaes

Re: Chantix Anyone - Insomnia a side effect?
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2007, 12:06:11 am »
I started my "starter pack" on friday night, and for the first 3 days I took one after my night snacks before going to bed (usually between 10pm-11pm). I have been having a hard time falling asleep (kept me awake til 2 sometime 3 in the morning). Anyone has similar problem? I am not on any HIV meds yet.

I have cut down somewhat and each cigarette I smoked became less and less enjoyable.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline PRMike

« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2007, 05:37:41 am »
Hi cic, Shaun Welcome and congrats on your quit cic thats great that your down to one pack from 2 and before you know it you'll be off of them totally so keep up the good work ok,
Shaun I do not know if it will help you or not but I take my second pill right after dinner which usually is between 5 and 6 pm and I sleep great and I like my dreams, I hope this works for you.
well may you all have a great day and please stay strong ok bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline komnaes

« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2007, 05:42:05 am »
Thanks Mike, I will try take it earlier, like immediately after meal (usually eat between 7.30pm to 8.30pm) and see if it improves. I don't like feeling groggy in the morning, and keen to stop both cigarettes and making Chantix before I need to take HIV meds. Hugs, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: October 15, 2007, 06:03:23 am »
Hey Mike, congratulations on still being smoke-free!  I am as well.  It's also good to hear from another person on these forums who's clean/sober.  How much time do you have?  It sounds like you getting back in touch with your son and his acceptance of having you back is one of those gift recovery gives you.  I think that's really great and I wish you two healing.  My daughter and I were a little estranged, but we have a really good relationship now.  It's so wonderful to get people back into our lives that we, um, for lack of better wording, cut out. 

Cristy, you just keep on trying girl.  It will work out.  I know you can do it! KO, I know you can do it also!  If I can quit, anyone can.  I'm still taking Chantix and don't plan on stopping it anytime soon.   
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline PRMike

« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2007, 06:50:32 am »
Hi BettyTacy, I have been clean for 5 years and 2 months and Sober since 1985... 
Yes it is great to be clean & sober and My God has giving me the gift of a second chance in life and now has giving me my son back, and I have a beautiful Granddaughter...  I feel so happy and if I died today I would die Content...
again thank you for your sweet and kind words and please stay strong...
P.S.  how long do you have???
ok bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #207 on: October 18, 2007, 02:09:18 pm »
I'm just back from my doctor's visit and he obviously got much more knowledgeable about Chantix than last time I saw him, he did some research and considers the pill as a serious concern for kidney failure, he said that he would NOT prescribe it for more than 3 months, so if it fails, then an alternative must be found. Since I stopped taking it about a month in treatment, he allows me to get 2 more months, and he will help me with the nausea and take kidney tests along the way.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: October 18, 2007, 06:59:12 pm »
OK, F., I just posted about this in your thread about your #s.  I'm glad I read your post here.  I've only been on the Chantix for a month and a half.  I guess I've got another month and a half to go.  But with me, it's working.  I haven't smoked a cig since September 10th. 

Mike, I've been off booze since 1989, and off "drugs" (prescription ones I was using) since 2005.  Now, I've detoxed off a lot of stuff...booze, heroin...the toughest was the prescription ones.  They tore me up.  Thank God for the gifts of recovery!  I'm finishing getting my bachelor's in psychology (finally). 

Hope things are going well with you and your son..
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline PRMike

« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2007, 07:42:47 pm »
Hi BettyTacy I'm glad to hear from you and know that you are doing well, yeah we have come a long way in recovery but we can never forget where we came from and always stay strong,  I still get in touch with the Rehab that I was at, in fact on my 5 th birthday I got a few e-mails from people that are still clean & sober and from the Director which made me feel great... but I must say that quitting smoking has always been harder for me than leaving the drugs and thanks to Chantix it has been really easy.... I'm stilll doing really good...
as for my son It has been a couple of days that I have not heard from him and I realize that he might need some time to adjust to having me back in his life but I cant help this feeling that I will lose him again,,  I know that it's just my fears but I cant help it,  I want to hear from him everyday,, my Daughter today asked me if I had heard from him so she is going to call him since he gave her his phone number..
ok I hope everyone is alright and staying strong bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2007, 05:46:40 am »
Hi Mike, yes, I'm sure your son needs some time.  It's got to be an unusual experience for him, having his dad back in his life.  It must suck for you not being able to see him when you want to, but time heals all wounds as they say.   I still go to meetings.  I've never stopped going to meetings since '89.  I had a hard time at first, admitting that the prescription meds I was on was relapsing.  Mostly because they were prescribed by a psychiatrist; also because I wasn't abusing them.  But that wasn't the issue-I knew better than to be on them.  The ones I am speaking of here are Valium, Dextroamphetamine, Vicodin ES and Morphine.  They were all at high doses.  Plus I was on a couple that, although not "abusable" had my whole system out of whack because they were prescribed at high doses (thyroid and hormones).  So it was a very difficult detox.  I'll never forget it though.  You're right, we do need to remember the exact reasons why we can't drink or use drugs so as to not return to them.  Hey, when is your clean/sober b.d.?  Mine is coming up here shortly,  October 25th.  Actually I think it's the 21st, but the 25th is the date I remember my brain started functioning again, so that's what I go by. 

I hope you're still cig-free.  It feels better all the time.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #211 on: October 19, 2007, 06:58:34 am »
Hi BettyTacy, wow you were on some strong stuff, my last addiction besides the smokes was Crystal Meth and it did alot of harm to my immune sustem at the time, it brought my T-cells down to 6 and Viral Load over 400,000,  I thank God,the social worker at the hospital, Nurses,willie a case worker I knew that got me into the Rehab ( Chioces )and everyone at the rehab for giving me my life back..  my clean date is 8/14/02 thats the day I went into the rehab,  I do not count the days I was in the hospital...I'm glad that you and I have come along way and I pray that those still in addiction will get some help.
I'm still doing great with the non-smoking thank you  bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2007, 06:53:51 am »
Hey Mike, glad you're still not smoking.  I'm not either.  I can really tell when someone who has just smoked a cigarette comes by me.  I'm starting to find the smell a bit offensive.  I am so glad I don't smell like that anymore. 

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #213 on: October 29, 2007, 01:38:19 pm »
Well since this is day 9 on Chantix for my partner and I, and things are going pretty well, I guess it's time to throw in a post here.  ;)

Since I probably should have died 12 yrs ago, smoking was never an issue for me. However, these new-fangled meds have kept me not only alive; but actually getting healthier.  ::) Now, at 45, I've had to think that smoking might just be a health problem for me. Not to mention they keep taxing the heck outta cigs, and my disability check never goes up to compensate for that. LOL

I had seen here that several people were able to get their script covered, so I talked to my doctor about it and he thought it was worth a try. Trying several different ways (ASO, medicare, medicaid) though, I just couldn't get any help covering my Chantix prescription.  :'(

But a member here came through (Yeah! for the Forums again!) and since he was able to quit after a month, he had a 2-month supply available for me. When a fedex package of pills arrived, I had been smoking almost two packs a day for the last three months! (I was still lying to my doc and telling him only one pack a day)

Since my partner and I both smoke (he's 56 now, HIV- and healthy), we decided we'd stop together. With this 2-month supply we knew we could get through the first month. If the drug worked enough (but not quite enough), we figured we would have saved enough from smoking less to save up enough to cover filling the prescription that my doctor originally wrote for me.

Things went well for the first week The cigs tasted blander by Day 2 and I wasn't "craving" them so much.  By Day 4 I had dropped to just less than a pack a day! Day 6 I screwed up and took the Chantix with my morning meds (includes VidexEC so I can't eat for a couple of hrs) and within 15 minutes puked up ALL the meds.  :( I learned my lesson, and that's not happening again.  ;D

Yesterday was the first day of not-smoking; but we both smoked six. So far today, I've only smoked two. The one in the morning and after meals is pretty hard not to crave. But as I had been smoking two packs a day, this has been an incredible improvement!!

I'm finding the hardest part of kicking the habit, is breaking the habits of when and where I smoke. Neither of us is "craving" them anymore, but it is second-nature to light one up in the car, or sitting in front of the computer. So everytime I get that "craving", I get up and go do something constructive (with 4 cocker spaniels in the house, there's always something to clean  ;D ).

The forum member checked in with me today and that's what prompted me to finally post here. I need to check to see if I can publicly thank him for helping us out ;) Although I still will say THANKS even if I can't say who it is.  ;)  ;D

Best of Luck to everyone kicking the habit!
mIkIE & Jim

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bear60

« Reply #214 on: October 29, 2007, 02:00:10 pm »
Thats good news Mike. Its been difficult for me but I have managed to stay off them even through all the crap going on with us right now. You are correct .......change the scene, the time, the place, the people, and you will be less likely to smoke. Break the routine.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #215 on: October 30, 2007, 09:04:45 am »

Chantix is great.  For me this is day 27 of no smoking, having been on Chantix 34 days.  Oh okay...I have one or two cigarettes during each week...usually if I go to the bar.  But it's a far cry from the two packs per day for years.  I feel sure I'll go to 100% smoke-free within a few months.

I will never belittle or criticize smokers however.  We each rightfully make our own choices about that.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2007, 06:21:02 pm »
I like to smoke.  I enjoy it.  I REALLY, REALLY like to smoke!  But I'm not getting any younger, and cigarettes are not getting any cheaper, and my hair is not getting darker, and those fine lines are not getting any finer. My blood pressure is controlled by exercise, but only when I exercise regularly, which I don't always feel like doing.

I start Chantix tomorrow after breakfast.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2007, 05:12:25 am »
Hi you will not regret it, this little pill has been a wonder for me, I smoked for 41 yrs ( Marlboro's ) and I am no day 55 of being smoke free and I no longer get the urge to smoke, I do every once in awhile think about them but only when I see someone's pack but I do not react to it, So welcome to a new and healthy world..ok bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2007, 05:59:49 am »
In the third week of taking Champix (Chantix) profound depression – including suicidal thinking – set in and my doctor told me to stop taking it. As with any new drug, trials haven't been done on every conceivable drug combo and interaction. I will say it did stomp out the cravings within a short period of time tho and the longest I went smoke-free was eight days.

Just be aware that any other drugs you may be taking could interact with this brand new one.

Back to the drawing board . . .

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: November 01, 2007, 07:07:03 am »
OK, I've got to be honest.  Last week, after starting College Algebra, along with being back in the working world after 14 years of being out, I started smoking again.  I went off the Chantix, but put myself back on it last night.  So, I will try again.  For all of those who are successfully quitting, way to go.  I just hope I can do it again and find some kind of balance with the new stresses in my life.  I'm a lot like Creighton, I like to smoke.  I do not, however, like the way I breathe when I'm smoking, and basically, how I feel overall.  So hopefully I can stop again.  I've already got a cold. Grrrrr........

Offline komnaes

« Reply #220 on: November 01, 2007, 07:16:13 am »
Hmmmm... it seems like it's not the wonder pills we were hoping for...

I also stopped after a week because of insomnia, which I was assured by my doctor not a side effect, at least he'd never heard from patients except me. I did smoke less after just 3 days but since stopping bounced back to close to a pack a day. I am not really happy about it.

Since my diagnosis I do regularly have problem falling asleep, but with Chantix my brain somehow went overactive and it was a very strange feeling of not being able to switch my brain off. I had until that point never had experienced like seeing images (particularly what I saw on TV or the internet before sleep) after closing my eyes that I couldn't stop.

I still have the starter pack and the doctor said I could try again when I feel up to it as I am not on meds yet. Good luck to you Betty and Daniel, and myself to find a way to quit...

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #221 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:26 am »
I like to smoke.  I enjoy it.  I REALLY, REALLY like to smoke! 

That is me ....  I will be a smoker till the day I day, I just choose not to light up that cigarette.  I don't have the physical addiction to nicotine anymore but the mental addiction is there and I don't think it will ever go away...I still miss that smoke after dinner or with my cup of coffee....oh I forgot...no coffee in the mornings either...they trigger my wanting to smoke really bad....

Rich
(cigarette free since March 2007)
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline bear60

« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2007, 12:07:49 pm »
Shaun...
When I started Wellbutrin to quit smoking...I had the same experience you did....my brain would not switch off.  It was too active.  So I told my acupuncturist and he was able to give me a treatment to switch off the feeling that my brain was hyperactive. I know it may not work for everyone but, it did for me.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2007, 03:06:55 pm »
Hmmmm... it seems like it's not the wonder pills we were hoping for...

I also stopped after a week because of insomnia, which I was assured by my doctor not a side effect, at least he'd never heard from patients except me.

That's the thing Shaun, this is such a new drug that no one knows for sure all the possible side effects yet. Everybody's different. I'm glad it seems to be working for the majority of people, tho.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline PRMike

« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2007, 04:28:03 pm »
Hi BettyTacy  whats important is that you will try again and I'm sure you can do it..
I'll be praying for you. ok may you and everyone else have a great day bye for now always Mike
PRMike

Offline PRMike

« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2007, 05:13:06 am »
Hi everyone today is day 60 for me and I feel pretty good, I still get thoughts about smoking but I do not react to it.. I cant wait to see the reaction of my Doctor when I see her on thursday and tell her how I'm doing. ok may everyone have a great day
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2007, 06:36:49 am »
Hey Mike:

Great to hear that you're still smoke-free. I will be trying again next Monday.  I know I can do it, I just need to get myself mentally ready. 

Offline PRMike

« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2007, 07:05:24 am »
Hi BettyTacy, thank you I know that you can do it, and I'll pray that you get back on this path to better health. ok may you have a great day and please keep me posted ok
PRMike

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2007, 11:30:02 am »
 ;D

this has been an awesome thread to follow as i have been taking chantix since 8/21, but wasn't able to lick my 2 pack a day habit until 9/25.

i started chantix while in the hospital after having what i thought was a heart attack here in my office. it wasn't, thank god, but the event scared the s__t out of my poor wife & i to the point in which i felt i needed to try. there is no worse feeling than hearing your partner whimpering in your ear "honey, please don't leave me", as i was passing out.   folks, those words stayed with me throughout this whole experience.

i went through test upon test trying to figure out why i had passed out, including an EGD, to scope my stomach, esopagus, and small intestine. when the doc told me i had to have this test he said i needed to quit smoking, alcohol, and caffine in order that they could get their best possible results.  :o YIKES!

so i had this big party to go to at my cousins in pennsylvania that weekend and i bought 4 packs figuring between the 4 hour drive both ways and "a party" over a 36 hour period, this would be my last hurrah. that was 1 month on chantix.

but that was when i did finally kick the habit. for some reason the last 4 or 5 cigarettes from that last pack tasted horrible. and being the only person out of 70 at the party that smoked was another deterent.   and being the only smoker in the car out of 4 people kept me from enjoying that usual pastime adding more evidence that it was truly time.

now giving up caffine and nicotine at the same time is not easy. trying to work here in my office that first week (9/24) was the worst, as i couldn't keep my eyes open half the time. my energy level was all but gone. but once i got past that first week things seemed to get a bit easier day by day.

by the time i took that EGD i had become acclimated to a life without caffine and nicotine. that was 10/19. on the 26th i awoke to find no decaf available, so i made a pot of caffinated, had 3 cups, and was so wired throughout the whole day, i vowed i would never do that again.

in my opinion chantix works. like most of you folks who have posted here, i have tried several other methods to quit, including a nasty painful method called a mental block. ouch! needles in places near your nose and ears to block the cravings......... and to think i went through that twice! :o

twice i have gone 7 months, but as others have mentioned, some type of stressful event occured in my life, usually death related, and buying 1 pack started the whole process over again. i am praying this time that i have the will power and incentive to hang them up for good.

i am 56 & a smoker since age 19, with a history of heart disease in my family. that event that occured here in my office on 8/21 may not have been a heart attack, but to my poor wife, it might as well have been one. i will never forget her words as she appeared to be losing me.  you would have thought after 22 years of living with hiv, losing countless friends to aids, a sibling, and my parents, that i would have been prepared for something like that.

i am still taking 1 chantix a day, as i find that, especially when out socially, the smell i get from a smoker near me creates the same bad feeling many others here say they have gotten after lighting up while still on the pill. it is just enough of a turn off to prevent me from having one.

but i will heed the advise of those who posted about the long term damage. i would also comment that my urine has never looked so yellow, or smelled so funky. that too is a side effect. and for now, i am loving the dreams. they are much nicer than the ones i had on sustiva.

good luck to all of those who continue to try to quit this god awful & expensive habit. for me, it has been the hardest thing i have ever had to quit. the extra money in my pocket feels great, and the amount of time i have saved not having to think about how many packs to bring with me so i don't run out, will i have enough left in the morning to go with my coffee, what to wear so i have a place to put them, where to hide the lighter when i'm traveling, or is that country going to have my brand.............  ::)............ it is time to end the madness!

kellyspoppi

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2007, 10:27:34 am »
"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times".
Mark Twain

Day 7 for me...

Eric

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2007, 12:04:43 pm »
Well, I started the Chantix again a couple days ago.  It seems like the biggest hurdle for me right now is this awful algebra course I have to take to get my degree.  I've not given up though; I know it can be done. 

Good job everyone who's gaining some success!  And for the rest of us, just keep trying I suppose.

Offline cherokeefla

« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2007, 12:53:24 pm »
hey jer...just a quick note from somebody that started smoking in tobacco land at the late age of 15 and was a heavy smoker ever since...nothing, including chantix seemed to work for me...it was just a willpower issue...the only thing that worked like a charm for me was a book by allan carr...The Easy Way To Stop Smoking...dont ask me how, but that book got all up inside my head and reprogrammed everything...can't say enough about it...best of luck!
Work like you don't need the money, Dance like nobody's watching, and Love like you've never been hurt.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2007, 05:26:49 pm »
Hi everyone I just took my last pill and I can not beleive these last 12 weeks have pasted by so fast... I am still smoke free and I have no urges to smoke so thats great, but I am a little worried how I will do without the pill so let's see what happens...
I hope and pray that everyone is alright.
bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2007, 05:41:40 pm »
Congratulations Mike,

Your body is nicotine free now, but you will still have urges to light up because your mind has been so used to it for so long...remember that your body will not crave cigarettes anymore, it is all on your mind now.
If you get the urge to smoke, make yourself busy...walk, run, play a game, call someone...whatever it takes to get your mind off the craving...you'll see that if you do get the craving, it will go away just as fast as it came.
I'm proud of you !!!!!

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2007, 08:01:26 pm »
Hi Rich thank you for your words of encouragement...  what is wierd is that I do not get the urge to smoke but I realize that when i see my brother smoking I seem to ask myself do I want to ask him for one then I think what a waste of time it will be if I do,,, I am much happier now that I do not smoke and my Doctor is really happy and proud of me,, she also let me know that smoking affects a man's sexual organs and stanima so I really do not want to go back to smoking...thanks again and stay strong
always PRMike
PRMike

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2007, 08:07:46 pm »
Hi there. You will feel so much better without smoking. I had a three pack a day habit 10 years ago and quit in March of 1998. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Good luck,

David

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2007, 09:44:13 pm »
Hey all:

My quit date is two more days (Sunday, the 18th).  I have been back on the Chantix for almost a week now.  Wish me luck!  It's now or never.....

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2007, 10:33:57 pm »
Hey Bettytacy,

just remember...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline PRMike

« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2007, 06:30:25 am »
Hi BettyTacy, welcome back I know that you can do it.  To everyone else Good morning and keep fighting the good fight
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2007, 08:37:49 am »
Thanks for the encouragment Poz and Mike.  Yes, I know I can do it.  Tomorrow will be the first day of being quit again.  I'm actually looking forward to it and I am going to start kind of an exercise routine.  I just have to be a little careful, as both my kneecaps are broken and in my left knee the cartilage is completely collapsed.  But I can do something.  I feel so awful right now, breathing wise.   My dad, who has emphysema and still smokes, sounds worse and worse all the time.  He's on oxygen now almost 24/7 and I don't want that to happen to me. 

I hope you all are well.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2007, 11:31:05 am »
Yes, I know I can do it. 

You can and you will;D {Hugs}

Offline Basquo

« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2007, 07:03:09 pm »
Yay for exercise!  I walk a mile when I get home from work everyday, because that's when I usually light up and keep lighting up all night.  My feet have been killing me because my walking shoes were worn down, but I've been taking the cash I normally spend on cigs and sticking it in a hidden jar.  Today I counted it up and it was enough to buy a nice new pair of all-terrain athletic shoes! which are hard to find because I have abnormally wide duck-like feet, like EEEE wide, which is great for swimming but I can't swim around the office.  If I could, I probably would've quit smoking a long time ago!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2007, 10:51:55 pm »
How long has it been for you, Creighton?

Edited to add:  One hour and counting for me..........

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: November 18, 2007, 07:23:31 am »
Well all,
  I decided to quit tomorrow, as I really wasn't getting myself mentally ready to do it today.  This is an especially hard holiday season for me also, as it's the first one without my mum.  I will quit, though.  I will do it.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #244 on: November 18, 2007, 12:55:02 pm »
How long has it been for you, Creighton?

Edited to add:  One hour and counting for me..........

About three hours...I was having a craving this morning and lit one up...but then I realized I hadn't taken the pill yet so I'm okay now, and if it goes like last week I won't smoke all week long.  The problem nights have been Friday and Saturday when I'm prone to cracking open a few beers, but even so I smoked WAY less than normal, and I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes in about 10 days and am still on the last one.  I find that chewing gum helps.  I have a box of nicotine gum but I haven't used any yet.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: November 18, 2007, 03:19:55 pm »
Well, I did quit today after all. I only had a couple this morning, then got tired of not being able to breathe.  It's funny, but when I get the urge to smoke after being off of it for awhile, it's like I forget all about what I feel like just one week into smoking again. (stinky breathe, clothes, hair, apartment, not being able to breathe right, my poor cat being congested, lack of money etc.).  Right now, for right now, the cons outweigh the pros.  So, I'm trying it again. 

Creighton, we just keep trying. 

Offline kellyspoppi

« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2007, 09:00:13 pm »
 :D

it's been 2 months now and i'm still doing well without caffine and nicotine. if you only knew what a difficult time it is right now to be giving up cigs, with all the right stressors going off in my brain. it is hard to believe i haven't succomb by now.

so i keep taking 1 pill a day to make sure i don't succomb. i deal with the stressors some other way.

i wish us all continued good luck.

kellyspoppi

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »
Hey gang,

I am so very proud of each and every one of you, because each of you is trying.

It will be one year for me Jan. 27. I almost didn't make it when I started Sustiva. Luckily, my doc was savvy enough to put me back on Chantix immediately.

Things improved once I dumped the Sustiva for Reyataz/Norvir.

I took Chantix for 24 weeks, All told, $2,832 paid for out of my own pocket and worth every penny!

Hang in there, all of you who are trying. I managed to quit a 2-pack-a-day habit I had had for 34 years.

If I can do it, I know you can too.

By the way, one thing nobody prepared me for were the dreams. Sometimes I dream I am smoking again.

There are days I wake up so angry with myself I can't stand me because I started smoking again. 

Then I realize it was just a dream , roll my eyes and go on with the day.

Keep at it y'all.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 09:32:48 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »
You know, for all the bitching and moaning I do about how expensive my health insurance is, I will say it's taught me how to work the system.  I managed to get two doctors to write three different scripts, got raw pills instead of "kits," and paid a total of $71.95 for three month's worth.

8)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #249 on: November 19, 2007, 08:21:19 am »
OK Mark, if you can do it, I'll keep trying. ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.