Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:21:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 743
Total: 744

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Have you developed Gynecomastia and is it common with Atripla?

yes
0 (0%)
no
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Atripla  (Read 2442 times)

Offline stevmore

• long tern survivor
Atripla
« on: May 03, 2017, 02:04:27 am »
 I have been taking Atripla for more then three years now. suddenly I have developed Gynecomastia and I have to go into the Dr. office for a sonogram. I am concerned as a man should not be growing a female breast! my left nipple has become enlarged and my doctor said it was Gynecomastia. I have had full blown aids for going on 27 years now, this is the first time I have encountered this type of side affect. it is painful when I bump my left nipple with my fore arm, or roll over in bed! I am getting upset about this side effect of taking ATRIPLA but the labs come back in my favor! my last total cell count was 635 and my viral load is undectable. Is there a treatment that can stop or ease the growth of the breast tissue known as Gynecomastia? I am a bit embarrassed when I am doing yard work or gardening with my shirt off, the Gynecomastia makes me self conscious any advise?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Atripla
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 02:16:12 am »
Hi

Sorry to hear about this problem.

My understanding was gynecomastia is not that uncommon as in it does tend to spike in men over 50 and nearly 25% of men are affected.

From what i always understood is due to hormonal problems, decreased testosterone however this can in be caused by a number of underlying conditions that would need to be ruled out, so the move to see a doctor and the scan is a good move to check it out and narrow down the cause. 

I suspect treatment will also really depend on the cause and findings from the doc as well, anyhow wish you all the best with the doctors follow-up and I hope a solution can be offered soon.

Take care and keep us posted.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline stevmore

• long tern survivor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:49:53 am »
I have seen on television that gynecomastia is a side effect of such drugs as Risperdal and Invega. so because I was diagnosed with Gynecomastia, I did a complete online search of all the medications I am currently taking. I am also taking Depakote  and Keppra for epilepsy. in my search for medications side effects Atripla was the only one that I am taking that showed up. more then one site online mentioned Atripla with side effects of Gynecomastia, I am 53 yrs old and at first I was terrified when my left nipple became tender and painful to the touch,. when my shirt brushes agianst my nipple it hurts! :( I hope that there is a hormone treatment to resolve this issue. because after 27 yrs of full blown aids I have already as you can imagine gone through a very long list of available medications. I fear that if I change  drugs now to get rid of the Gynecomastia I may do more then good in the long run. I should be good with the Atripla for at least another five years I hope so long as my t-cell count stays good and the viral load is undetectable. I just hope that there is a treatment and I can continue with the Atripla as it seems Gynecomastia is my only side effect that is unfavorable! 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:02:22 am »
Hi

Searching limited to the parameters of the medications and side effects is always going to give you the answer your looking for, good or bad.

Being objective with 25% of male population having this problem at a certain age well good chance its not the cause and either-way this needs to be checked by a doctor, this is the problem with self diagnosis or google doctor it tends to tell us what we want or fear.

True some medications and even HIV medication like Efavirenz can cause or make the condition worse if you are effected as its the hormone levels that cause the symptoms, however the truth really is that this is not that uncommon and the underlying cause could be anything and needs to be determined before jumping to conclusions.

I get it and do appreciate you are really concerned however stressing and self diagnosis and worrying about the meds is not going to do any good either and the best thing is to follow-up with your doc and find the truth and than the possible treatments.

I added a link for reading i found that might help.

Take it easy, wishing you the best.

Jim

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gynecomastia/home/ovc-20257576

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline stevmore

• long tern survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 03:24:42 am »
Thank you Jim. I found comfort in your words, my next Dr. appointment is one week following my appointment as of 5/2/17 for the sonogram. Needless to say that if Gynecomastia is all I am dealing with! I am doing very well all said and done,considering being a long term survivor and all, and having lost way to many friends to the aids virus! I guess that when a new cat comes out of the bag with a new ailment or condition. I tend to get edgy lol!

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:25:52 am »
Hi Stevmore,

i understand they use Anti-Estrogens for gyno - letrozole(femara).You might want to get your Doc to check your testosterone levels if you haven`t done so already.Low test and higher estrogen can exacerbate any vulnerability you may have with meds being taken.

Failing that,there is a minor surgery(quite common) that can resolve this issue.

Hope all works out for you.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.