Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:14:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please Asses My Risk... Thank You  (Read 5635 times)

Offline sofkinscared

Please Asses My Risk... Thank You
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:17:32 am »
Hey,

I am a 22 year old male from North America. During this past weekend I visited an Asian Massage Parlor. While in the missionary position, I realized that the condom had come off cause it felt too damn good so I pulled out and sure enough - the condom had come off. I was probably inside her raw for around 15-30 seconds MAXIMUM. At this point, she put on another condom, one which I had brought with me and we finished.

Everything I read online is reassuring about the chances of getting HIV from one time vaginal intercourse, especially when a condom is involved. Despite everything I read, I am nervous that I may have caught HIV. Advice Please :)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:19:04 am by sofkinscared »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Please Asses My Risk... Thank You
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22:40 am »
You can obtain your conclusive test result 3 months post exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 07:59:20 am »
Even IF the woman in question was HIV+, the likelihood of transmission during the one and mostly protected incident is unlikely. HIV is harder to transmit from female to male than the other way around. And this was a single, mostly protected incident.

You can if you want to test initially at 6 weeks. If you get a negative result, then you will very likely continue to test negative at 3 months for a conclusive result.

I expect you to come out of this ok.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline sofkinscared

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:38 am »
Andy I thank you for the reassuring words. It is comforting to hear those words applied to my situation.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:48:10 am »
You're welcome. Meantime while waiting to test make a real effort to focus on other things in your life. It will make the waiting time pass more easily than you may imagine is possible.
Andy Velez

Offline sofkinscared

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:03:07 pm »
Logically I should just wait for the 3 month mark to test, correct?

I'll hopefully remember to come back here so I can post my results, as it may help comfort the fear of someone who is going through a similar situation.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »
Logically I should just wait for the 3 month mark to test, correct?

That depends on how you feel about waiting. As Andy told you, the earliest you should test is at six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

So, if you're going to be miserable waiting for three months, test at six weeks for peace of mind. I fully expect you to test negative, but you do need to test to make sure. Your hiv status is never something to guess about.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sofkinscared

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »
Thanks Ann for your replies, you seem to be very knowledgeable and help out many people on this forum :) Same goes to you too Andy :)

Do you know any statistics of Asian Massage Parlors, and Vaginal Sex where the condom breaks?

Thanks again for you time in helping me.

(Edit) I don't know if this is considered a break, but I think the condom actually slipped off of my penis, because when I pulled out the condom was stuck inside her. Does this make a difference?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:42:00 pm by sofkinscared »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:18 am »
scared,

No, I don't know of any such statistics. However, I do know that a correctly used condom rarely breaks. In my whole life it's only happened to me once, and it happened because we weren't using enough lube. And yes, it was VERY obvious when it happened. NO, he did not become infected (he didn't test specifically over the incident, he just waited until it was time for his regular, routine sexual health check up).

Part of the correct use of a condom is to hold on to it when you withdraw. If you don't and you've gone soft after ejaculation, chances are good that it will be left behind. It is not a risk when this happens. Make sure you read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sofkinscared

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 08:58:11 pm »
Thanks again for your reply and helpful words, this is going to be my last question (i promise)

How do you feel about the HIV DNA by PCR tests? They seem to be able to detect the virus much much sooner. I don't mind paying the extra money for peace of mind.

Thanks for your time. I'll absolutely check out your links about proper condom use, I'm one who rarely uses them with my past gf's, only reason I would wear them is if i'm with a CSW. Though from reading these forums, it has become very apparent that it is vital for me to wear them with all sex acts.

If I do not go with the HIV DNA by PCR Test, I am going to use one of the Rapid HIV Tests around 4 weeks post exposure.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:59:56 pm by sofkinscared »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 11:13:45 pm »
PCR-DNA are not approved dianostic HIV tests. There are no home approved rapid HIV tests.

Offline sofkinscared

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:39:16 am »
Hey RapidRod, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

I understand that they are not "approved" tests for diagnostic purposes, but it does and can give a test result. For this reason I have found that they are used in the Adult Film Industry to test the Actors.

I think you may have misread my post, I do not plan on taking an at home rapid hiv test. I would go to a testing location that offers a rapid HIV test approximately 4 weeks after exposure.

The possible reason for me getting the DNA test is to alleviate my anxiety, the only thing holding me back is all of the conflicting information I read about them online. Especially the false positive - I don't know if I could handle that kind of emotional roller coaster. The benefit I see to taking that test is that a negative result is a negative result. The test is apparently very sensitive in that it will pick up the virus if it is there. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 03:48:21 am by sofkinscared »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 06:36:23 am »
See that is where you are wrong. What you can get is a false positive from a PCR-DNA test.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 10:31:09 am »
Scared,

While DNA PCR tests are not approved for diagnostics because of the high rate of false positive results, the RNA PCR tests are approved. However, ANY result on an RNA test must still be confirmed with antibody testing at the appropriate time. There are NO short cuts to hiv testing. Deal with it.

You've had a very low risk and PCR testing would be a waste of time, money and resources. You do not need PCR testing.

We've already told you that the earliest you should test is at six weeks. If you want to ignore our advice, I don't understand why you bother posting.

Re-read your entire thread before posting again. Our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sofkinscared

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:31 pm »
I'm not trying to cause any problems, I'm just nervous that's all. I can't sleep at night, when I lay down it is the only thing I can think of. Any tips on how to possibly get my mind off of this until test day?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:35:50 am »
scared,

Get busy with other things and stay off hiv internet websites - this one included. Exercise and tire yourself out. Ask your doctor (or a doctor in your nearest emergency room) for a referral to a therapist or counselor you can talk this over with. Alternatively, use poz.com's Health Services Directory to find an ASO (aids service organisation) near you - they may have someone you can talk to.

There's only so much we can do in this setting. We're not here to hold you hand while you wait to test.

You are seriously unlikely to end up hiv positive over this brief insertive incident, so chill out.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.