Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 340
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Distended stomach?  (Read 14326 times)

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
Distended stomach?
« on: August 18, 2006, 01:07:10 pm »
Hello... I think I'd heard of some meds causing a distended stomach - is this correct?  I've only been on meds for several months: 1st (Truvada/Viramune) and then on to (Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir) and my stomach feels sort of bloated and not as flat as it had been.  I work out often and while I didn't have 6-pack abs my stomach was certainly in workout shape.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!  Steve
;0

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Distended stomach?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »
Hello Steve,

I started on meds in October of 2003. Within ten months, my stomach started enlarging quite rapidly, and I started getting that bloated feeling.

If you haven't read this link, this may give some explanation :

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=615.0

I also posted a link within that link, to the older forums. I am pretty good with my diet, my problem is trying to get enough exercise. I am not always up to it.

What you may try doing, is eating smaller portions, but eating more times during the day. It may help with the bloating issues.

There was something else I was reading the other day. I will see if I can find it and post that also. I believe it was from Medscape or Medpage. I will have to look. Had to do with weight gain, not necessary due to the medications.

And this link :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/news/am20060817e.html

Take care------Ray

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 03:51:10 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:18:43 pm »
Hi Steve,
I have that bloated belly look. Some days I swear I look pregnant. I also tend to be a little gassy from the meds. A lovely combination...I look pregnant and I am full of gas!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:22:01 pm »
Damn Christine, I've been farting all day so I can relate! ha ha  I guess if this is the worst of the side effects I can deal with it - but can others???

Steve   ;D
;0

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:28:52 am »
hi steve

is possibly/probably due to truvada, if it's med related - quite common, the bloated/gassy feeling...

you could try simethicone, which might help tummy feel happier...over here goes by name of Deflatine, you can buy OTC...ask dr, or pharmacist.

Here is a good summary of causes/possible solutions...
http://www.thebody.com/gut/gut_5_gas.html

Kate

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 08:45:19 pm »
I take Atripla and the combo made me gassy and bloated stomach.  But then again, I've always had a gut and been gassy.

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline poobear

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 12:03:09 am »
Hey Steve,
I also have a more distended belly than usual.  My belly is bigger and my arms and legs seem to have gotten thinner.  And unlike Christine feeling pregnant I get asked When I am due.  I also am quite gassy. meds are Reytaz, Ziagen, Norvir, and Didanosine.  Just so you are clear I am not a very fit person.  I am pleasantly plump and always has been.  Just seems that the fat has distributed differently.  best wishes to you.  Rachel
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 12:14:25 am by poobear »

Offline babygirl17844

• trying to lose the gut and get back in shape
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 09:56:24 pm »
well I get asked when im due too and I wish it would come out already

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Brian360

• Just livin' it up until the sun goes down.
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 11:39:56 am »
Oh my gosh...I'm glad I finally dug a little deeper into the forums (either that or a new post on the topic just came up).

I'm glad that I finally found an answer to my question about gas and distended belly.  I started my treatment back in July 06' but didn't have a problem with the bloated feeling until about two months ago.  It's aconstant cycle of feeling normal in the morning but it just progresses further and further throughout the day.  So far no matter what I eat throughout the day adds to that increasing bloated feeling.  When someone in the string noted Truvada as being a culprit, it narrowed things down alot!

Does anyone with a good workout regimen have the same problem?  I'm sure my lack of exercise is a contributor but I'd like to think that some tight ab muscles would get rid of the distended belly thing....
July06: Tcells 0, VL >+750,000
Aug06: TCells 22, VL 214,000
Sep06: TCells 32, VL 34,500
Oct06: TCells 92, VL 9,560
Dec06: Tcells 27, VL 25,000
Jan07: Tcells 43, VL - un-detect
Jan10: TCells 111 - popped to 160 fall 09, VL  undectable since Oct. 07

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 03:13:04 pm »
The Viread in Truvada produces gas, sometimes of, er, volcanic proportions.  It seems to do this less if taken with food (soz big pharma, minus point to Atripla I think).  Some folk, though, just don't get on with it.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline greatcyber

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 05:03:30 pm »
Hey There,

No one can actually tell you what your distended stomach comes from, meds or disease, or both.  Every case is individual. 

HOWEVER, most HIVers should supplement with acidopholus (2 billion units/day) or some other type of probiotic supplement.  When I am especially gassed up and bloated, I usually take a couple of charcoal capsules.  They will collect the gas and you will find that it will pass right through you, along with your food.

Whenever you are about to eat foods known for causing gas, try using BEANO first.  It REALLY does work and it's cheap and available everywhere.

I've fought with this for years.  I've been using Human Growth Hormone for the past couple of years, as well as hitting the gym 4-5 times a week.  Put it this way, nothing's perfect.  My pants in the closet range from 30" waist up to 34".  Never know what's going to fit when.  But since the growth hormone, I'm in my 32-31 range and that makes me happy.  Growth Hormone (I take Serostim injections) are expensive and many insurances won't cover it.  There may be a clinical trial near you that is trying Serostim for abdominal distention.  Check it out and see.  If not, you might ask your doc to prescribe it anyway and see if you can get it from the company (Serono) for free under the Compassionate Use Program.

But, definitely do the acidopholus first.  It really helps-even good for your immune system.  The majority of your immune system is in the gut, anyway.

You can PM me with any questions, I may have more suggestions for you.

Best of Luck.

Stephen
Perform a Random Act of Kindness Today...

...You Just May Be In Need of One Tomorrow!

Offline shadow

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 04:09:17 am »
I'm going to try the acidopholus and let y'all know if it works, I've been on meds for over 4 years now and my stomach is huge!  I walk everyday and eat right and I still look pregnant, it's very depressing. 

Lisa

Offline clarke

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 07:33:15 pm »
On the "wind" part Christine?  You oughta hear my wife's "wind".  She's no bigger than a minute, and her's are the loudest I've ever heard. :D  :o  :o

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 07:58:49 pm »
Hey There,

HOWEVER, most HIVers should supplement with acidopholus (2 billion units/day) or some other type of probiotic supplement. 

I have even read that as much as 5-6 billion cultures a day is recommeded, according to some. As far as fiber, 35 grams per day, Omega 3"s --- 2 grams per day. I guess it depends on whose plan you want to follow, and lots of vegetables !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.