Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:11:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 639
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Louis2022  (Read 10409 times)

Offline Louis2022

• Standard
Louis2022
« on: May 14, 2022, 04:22:05 am »
Good morning Forum and many thanks for your HIV educations and selfless services.

I had sex with  a CSW using condom. However , during the process I withdrew and found out that the condom was not on my penis, instead it was dangling in front of the vigina with part if it outside the vigina and rest inside. I simply pulled it out, changed condom and completed the act with the new condom.

After the act, I became very worried that I may have taking a risk.

Have  I taken a high risk and do I need PEP.

Many thanks

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Louis2022
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 04:24:59 am »
Hiya,

You slipped out of the condom whilst withdrawing, next time hold the base of the condom when pulling out.  Not an HIV risk to you, relax and move on with your life.

Here's what you need to know:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV might still pose a risk for other STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms, and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will removed.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 05:01:37 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Louis2022

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 04:41:46 am »
Many thanks Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 05:01:51 am »
You're welcome.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Louis2022

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 03:14:01 am »
Good morning community and very sorry for my stupid act again so soon after last incident,

I had another encounter with a girl. The condom bursted but I noticed it immediately and pulled out. I think only trust is the one that bursted the condom and I felt it. I Changed the condom and continued with no more incident. The girl is positive and have been on drugs for years.

Please how’s my risk and do I need PEP for this.

Many thanks for your usual support

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 04:51:02 am »
Hiya,

The girl is positive and have been on drugs for years.

TaSP - Treatment as prevention or U=U.

So a person living with HIV (PLHIV) who is on antiretroviral therapy (ART) and has achieved an undetectable viral load* in their blood for at 6+ months, can not sexually pass on HIV. Meaning even if condomless intercourse was to happen it would be no HIV risk to you. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

However, I can't guarantee that this person is or has been taking their meds.

The good news is until the condom broke it was protecting you and as the insertive partner there is less risk than being the receptive partner, but only testing will confirm your HIV status.

do I need PEP for this.

Taking PEP over this potential exposure is totally up to you. Keep in mind that PEP needs to be started as soon as possible post-exposure, no later than 72 hours.

If you do take PEP then confirm your HIV status by testing at 6 weeks post finishing PEP with a blood-drawn (Lab) HIV antibodies test, a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change and retesting at 3 months post finishing PEP is generally not needed.

If you don't take PEP then confirm your HIV status by testing at 6 weeks post potential exposure with a blood-drawn (Lab) HIV antibodies test, a non-reactive result at that time would rarely ever change and retesting at 3 months post exposure generally not needed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:53:46 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 06:52:23 am »
Considering this is the 2nd condom mishap within a short time, I will post below as a refresher some tips on correct condom usage.

Use approved condoms and check for a certification mark (e.g. FDA, C.E., ISO or Kitemark) because the condom then complies with safety standards. Check the expiry date and make sure the condom is still within date.

Use lubricant condom safe water-based lubricants make condoms more comfortable and reduce breakage risk. – but avoid oil-based lubricants as they can weaken or break condoms.

As for putting the condom on correctly:

Incorrectly done, the risk of breakage can increase. Place the condom on top of the erect penis and pinch the teat at the end of the condom before you start to roll it down the penis. By doing this, you'll squeeze out any air bubbles and ensure there is room for the semen (cum). Roll the condom down to the base of the penis.

If it's on correctly, it will roll downwards easily. If you've started putting it on the wrong way, take it off, and even if you or your partner has not ejaculated (cum), there can still be semen or (pre-cum), so it's important to try again with a new condom. (More to do with risks from other STI's/pregancy than anything else)

Finally, never "test" the condom before or after intercourse. It's not needed at all and could damage the condom, as it's not designed as a reusable (re-stressed) product, and testing could lead you to mistakenly think that the condom was damaged during sex, when in fact, you caused the damage after the intercourse by trying to "test" it.

Instead, use condoms correctly and consistently. If they don't obviously break during intercourse, there is no reason to stress or test for HIV outside of standard yearly screening.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Louis2022

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 07:16:59 am »
Greetings respected forum

Condom burst and I tested positive in home test kit.

I know I need to start medications immediately , but where I work, you can not buy the medicines and I can not go to normal aids center here  since as an expert  that will mean Immediate deportation. I plan to resign my job in 8 months to 1 year time. I will be on vacation twice during within the period and  I can take the medicines during that time.

My question is.

1. How long maximum can I delay starting medications
2. If I take it for just a month during holiday and stop for like 6 months, will it  be helpful or harmful

Thanks for the support
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 10:47:36 am by Jim Allen »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 11:02:38 am »
Hiya,

I've merged your posts here.

Sorry, to hear and I understand a reactive result is a shock and a lot to digest. However, with these initial screening tests, we see false reactive results here regularly, and they aren't a diagnosis.

You will need to contact your sexual health clinic when you can, and they will do HIV testing that will confirm your positive or negative HIV status and check your stats. In the meantime, try to relax.

If in the unlikely event, your HIV status is confirmed positive then you can post an update with the results and viral load etc. in the "I just tested positive" section and the other forum members will assist you. 

where I work, you can not buy the medicines

Well I have mixed feelings about that, but it's probably good as that means you can't take HIV meds that could cause you serious harm or complications without a diagnosis, labs and monitoring.

Overall most HIV meds are relatively safe but they need monitoring to detect problems and any resistance, not to mention that some require hypersensitivity testing before usage.

1. How long maximum can I delay starting medications
2. If I take it for just a month during holiday and stop for like 6 months, will it  be helpful or harmful

1)

If you are living with HIV, its possible to go many years without treatment, However,  the measured and unmeasured damage HIV can do in the meantime might be permanent or lead to death.

The reasons for starting treatment early include overall better health outcomes, reducing your risk of complications and death, reducing the damage done overall and potentially also keeping the viral reservoir smaller, the latter might be helpful down the line. The list goes on but in short, its recommended to start treatment early.

2) Potentially harmful, starting off treatment and stopping within a month there are risks such as drug resistance.

You can find some information on this topic here:

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=2276.0
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-drug-resistance

« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 11:53:48 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.