Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:07:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773223
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 604
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lenacapavir capsid inhibitor (GS-6207) - CAPELLA trial  (Read 10641 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Lenacapavir capsid inhibitor (GS-6207) - CAPELLA trial
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:16:40 pm »
An update and good results from the Lenacapavir Capella trial.

POZ.com full writeup https://www.poz.com/article/lenacapavir-shows-promise-longacting-hiv-treatment-prevention

In Short:
Lenacapavir, the first HIV capsid inhibitor, led to viral load reductions in 88% of people who had received several prior antiretroviral medications and had multidrug-resistant virus, according to Gilead Sciences.

Researchers are also evaluating lenacapavir as a twice-yearly injectable for HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), which could expand the armamentarium of long-acting prevention options.

The Phase II/III CAPELLA trial included 36 adults with resistance to multiple antiretroviral drug classes who had a detectable viral load on their current treatment regimen. About two thirds of those who received lenacapavir had advanced immune suppression with a CD4 count below 200.

The participants were randomly assigned to add either lenacapavir or a placebo given by subcutaneous injection to their failing regimens for 14 days—that is, lenacapavir was essentially functioning as monotherapy. At that point, all participants were offered open-label lenacapavir plus an optimized background regimen designed to work as well as possible based on resistance testing. They will receive lenacapavir injections every six months as maintenance therapy.

At the end of the two-week period, 88% of those assigned to lenacapavir experienced at least a half-log reduction in viral load, compared with just 17% in the placebo group. Despite the small numbers, the difference was highly statistically significant, meaning it was probably not attributable to chance. What’s more, people in the lenacapavir group saw a significantly greater average change in viral load compared with the placebo group (-1.93 versus -0.29 log).

A previous posting on phase 1 safety testing: Early Trial of Gilead’s HIV Capsid Inhibitor Supports 3-Month https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71933
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 02:57:11 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MitchMiller

Re: Lenacapavir capsid inhibitor (GS-6207) - CAPELLA trial
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 03:16:19 am »
FOSTER CITY, Calif.Gilead Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: GILD) today announced new one-year results from the ongoing Phase 2/3 CAPELLA trial evaluating lenacapavir, the company’s investigational, long-acting HIV-1 capsid inhibitor, in heavily treatment-experienced people living with multi-drug resistant HIV. The findings demonstrated that lenacapavir, administered subcutaneously every six months in combination with other antiretrovirals, achieved high rates of virologic suppression and clinically meaningful increases in CD4 counts in people living with HIV whose virus was no longer effectively responding to their current therapy.

https://www.stonkmoon.com/news/GILD/7197c1205c666e64df304145dcd98cdc

Offline Da2020

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 08:01:37 pm »
I read they also fid some other trails on treatment naive patients with other drugs and found the results to be good. Hoping they can find something to use in combination to lencapavir, so that we can get to twice a year dosing instead of daily pills

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 04:11:01 pm »
May 12th 2022 - In full: I-base: https://i-base.info/htb/42883
Lenacapavir in MDR HIV: phase 3 results of CAPELLA study published

In Brief:
Notably, lenacapavir is given by subcutaneous injection every six months, but it still needs to be used in combination with other active drugs. This is likely to include oral dosing, until other long-acting options become available.

Without this support, resistance to lenacapavir can develop easily if viral load remains unsuppressed or if adherence to other drugs in the combination is not high Viral failure was reported in 8/72 participants in CAPELLA, generally early, and with 4/8 linked to low adherence.

Lenacapavir has so far been associated with few side effects, other than injection site reactions which are generally mild; only two participants reported grade 3 events, both of which resolved. None of the serious events reported in seven participants were judged related to lenacapavir.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 03:13:09 am »
The Phase III CAPELLA + CALIBRATE II trial & FDA Lifts Clinical Hold on Long-Acting Lenacapavir

https://www.poz.com/article/fda-lifts-clinical-hold-longacting-lenacapavir

In Brief:

Clinical Hold

In late December 2021, Gilead announced that the FDA had put a clinical hold on trials of lenacapavir due to concerns about the type of glass vial used for the injectable formulation, which resulted in tiny glass particles in the medication.

This week, Gilead announced that the FDA has lifted the clinical hold on the company’s Investigational New Drug application, allowing trials of injectable lenacapavir for treatment and PrEP to continue.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 04:38:15 pm »
Hopefully, it gets approved soon and I am eager to switch to  twice a year injections opposed to daily pills. :)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 05:00:54 pm »
Hopefully, it gets approved soon and I am eager to switch to  twice a year injections opposed to daily pills. :)

From what I read and the results, Initial approve and that's a "if" that happens I think will be in combination of daily oral drugs for viral suppression.

If it was just 6 monthly injection and done, then I would also be interested as well but we're not there yet
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:06:43 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 05:03:00 am »
From what I read and the results, Initial approve and that's a "if" that happens I think will be in combination of daily oral drugs for viral suppression.

So if with the 6 month injection and if daily oral drugs are still required anyway, is the benefit that one is taking less drugs on a daily basis?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 05:50:40 am »
Well... The way I look at it is if it works then it's a first and, should there be any additional 6 monthly treatments in the future then prehaps a combination of those could truly provide an alternative to daily pills.

The current benefits that CAPELLA trial phase 3 is looking into is suppressing the VL in those with HIV that has become multidrug-resistant. These injections and an optimized daily meds will hopefully suppress the virus and the results so far are promising.

The Phase II CALIBRATE trial, is looking into 6 monthly injections with the daily combinations for those without resistance.

lenacapavir +  daily alafenamide/emtricitabine
Or;
lenacapavir +  daily bictegravir
Or;
lenacapavir +  daily bictegravir/TAF/emtricitabine
Or;
lenacapavir +  daily TAF

I would be more interested if it was in combination with DTG or 3TC but even then it's not for me, However, hopefully it will provide other people with more treatment options to choose from.

(Sorry for any spelling issues, walking around Kilkenny today and only have this tiny phone with me)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 05:54:47 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 08:15:12 am »
Interesting...I'm on a 2 pill combo, so I would be open to the idea if this worked, of just taking of one my daily pills if the 6 monthly injection took care of the rest.

Thanks for the insight Jim & enjoy your walk around Kilkenny.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 10:35:10 am »
Thanks.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2022, 03:03:36 am »

https://www.poz.com/article/europe-approves-twiceyearly-sunlenca-people-resistant-hiv

Europe Approves Twice-Yearly Sunlenca for People With Resistant HIV

On August 22, the European Commission was the first to approve long-acting Sunlenca (lenacapavir) as a new option for heavily treatment-experienced people with multidrug-resistant HIV who cannot otherwise construct an antiretroviral regimen that fully suppresses their virus. The authorization covers injectable Sunlenca and a tablet formulation used for an initial oral loading period.

“Lenacapavir helps to fill a critical unmet need for people with complex prior treatment histories and offers physicians a long-awaited twice-yearly option for these patients who are at greater risk of progressing to AIDS,” Jean-Michel Molina, MD, of Université Paris Cité, said in a Gilead Sciences press release. “Lenacapavir provides an innovative long-acting HIV therapy option with the potential to transform the clinical landscape.”
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2022, 11:53:17 am »

https://www.poz.com/article/lenacapavir-shows-continued-promise-people-drugresistant-hiv

In Brief:

CAPELLA study

The study enrolled people who were currently on antiretroviral therapy but unable to maintain an undetectable viral load. Nearly two thirds had advanced immune suppression with a CD4 count below 200. In one cohort, 36 participants were randomly assigned to add either oral lenacapavir or placebo pills to their failing regimen for 14 days, then everyone was offered lenacapavir injections every six months plus an optimized background regimen. Another 36 people in a nonrandomized cohort started lenacapavir plus an optimized background regimen from the outset.

Lenacapavir continued to work well at 52 weeks for both people younger than 50 years (89% with HIV RNA below 50) and for those ages 50 or older (82%). Response rates were 77% for men, 100% for women, 75% for Black people and 90% for people of other racial groups.

People with a CD4 count below 200 at baseline—those in greatest need of effective treatment—had a response rate of 78%, while all nine people with higher CD4 counts achieved viral suppression. People who started lenacapavir with a high viral load above 100,000 copies had a response rate of 71%, which rise to 86% for those with a lower baseline viral load.

“In people with HIV who were highly treatment experienced with limited treatment options due to [multidrug-resistant HIV], lenacapavir in combination with an optimized background regimen les to high rates of virologic suppression,” the researchers concluded. “No clinically relevant differences were seen in efficacy among subgroups who were considered more difficult to treat.”
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 02:41:55 am »

FDA Approves Twice-Yearly Sunlenca for People With Drug-Resistant HIV
https://www.poz.com/article/fda-approves-twiceyearly-sunlenca-people-drugresistant-hiv

On December 22, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Sunlenca (lenacapavir) as a new option for treatment-experienced people with multidrug-resistant HIV who are unable to maintain viral suppression on their current antiretroviral regimen. Sunlenca is also approved in the United Kingdom, Europe and Canada. The approval does not include first-time HIV treatment or pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), though Sunlenca is being studied for these indications.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 12:11:20 pm »
Now if they would make that thing work for everyone

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2022, 12:18:25 pm »
What daily pills + twice yearly injections to somewhat suppress the viral load? No thanks.

I get what you mean, though. However a long road to go before there is any drug combination, if it ever happens, that can, without daily meds, provide viral suppression purely from a once-per-six monthly injection. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2022, 12:29:50 pm »
I meant as a stand alone treatment without the daily pills. I know they were working on it with Merck and mercks drug had issues with reduction in CD4 counts. I don’t want a pill plus the twice a year injection either  :)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2022, 01:25:40 pm »
I meant as a stand alone treatment without the daily pills. I know they were working on it with Merck and mercks drug had issues with reduction in CD4 counts. I don’t want a pill plus the twice a year injection either  :)

That reminded me to update that thread, thanks. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75770
It was on hold, now continuing at a lower dose, and they dropped the idea of using it for PrEP. However, even if it works, its nowhere near 6 monthly injections. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Twice-Yearly Sunlenca Works Well for Initial HIV Treatment
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2023, 03:34:16 pm »
https://www.poz.com/article/twiceyearly-sunlenca-works-initial-hiv-treatment

The new injectable antiretroviral keeps HIV under control, but it still needs an equally long-acting partner.

Sunlenca (lenacapavir), a long-acting injectable medication recently approved for treatment-experienced people with multidrug-resistant HIV, also works well for people starting antiretroviral therapy for the first time, according to a recent report in The Lancet HIV.

Results from the CALIBRATE trial showed that around 90% of study participants who used Sunlenca—either as daily pills or injections every six months—in combination with other antiretrovirals achieved an undetectable viral load.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.