Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:11:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 648
Total: 649

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NYT article on SS disability, work, and the cash cliff  (Read 4885 times)

Offline lipoenvy

NYT article on SS disability, work, and the cash cliff
« on: April 08, 2011, 08:55:28 am »
An interesting article in the 4/7/11 New York Times about Social Security disability and making the transition back to work.  I hadn't heard the phrase "cash cliff" before.
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/moving-from-disability-benefits-to-jobs/?ref=economy

Having had a very bad experience with getting SSD benefits restarted, I find most media discussions of "getting people off disability and back to work" naive but still of interest. 

One bit of naivete in this article:  many of us have long-term disability insurance in addition to SSD, and that benefit is already reduced when we work.  If we earn $200 it results in a $100 reduction of LTD benefits.  If SSD were to operate the same way, also reducing benefits by $100, there goes any incentive to work.  (Not to mention that we get to pay taxes on our work earnings!)

lipoenvy

A penny saved is more than a penny earned; it's a tax-free penny earned

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: NYT article on SS disability, work, and the cash cliff
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:04:06 am »
Well, in my line of work ( what I used to do) going back to work wouldn't be in my best interest, I would actually make a lot less than I do now , here in the State I live (New Mexico) my line of work really doesn't pay that much
like it did in Calif....

I was SHOCKED to find out what it paid per yr. here in New Mexico, it actually pays LESS than what I make now w/ a Pension & SSDI , so losing all of that for a low-paying job where I live now NO WAY
If I lived back in Ca, I might consider THIS then it would be worth it, cause I'd make more than I do now ::)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:14:40 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
Re: NYT article on SS disability, work, and the cash cliff
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:57:01 pm »
Cash cliff?  LOL

The return to work rules are slightly different for those of us with HIV than what this article would lead you to believe.

Yes, if you work and earn more than $1000 in a month you will be charged with a trial work month.  After 9 of those months (not necessarily in a row) you have a 3 month grace period, for a total of 12 months when you can earn as much money as possible, and still get your full benefit.  After the 3 month grace period, you will not be eligible for your benefit automatically.  During the next 3 years, if you are not able to work in any month(s), you have to call SSA and tell them so and you will be eligible for your monthly benefit for that month.  This is called the "easy on, easy off" period.  If you will be sick for an extended period of time, tell SSA so and the checks will come in automatically again.  After the 3 years, you are still eligible for expedited reinstatement for 2 additional years.  The reinstated claim has to be based on the same disability as your original claim (ie HIV infection, or mental health issues).  After 5 years, if you haven't reinstated the claim, you have to start with a new claim.

So we can fall off the cash cliff, but we are pretty strongly tethered so we can get back up if we need to.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.