Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:54:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 366
Total: 367

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: intro  (Read 6965 times)

Offline 100proofBrandy

intro
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »
hello fellow Poz
I have been surfing this site for a few years and thought it was time to introduce myself
my name is Brandy I'm 29 (for the 6th time :) ) actually 35 I've been poz for 11 years and have know for 9 of them. here's Little back ground. 11 years I was a bartender. yeah I was in to the speed at the time it helped with the long hours not an excuse! one night I wanted to get a tattoo a friend of a friend did work so we got together and I jumped into his van ( mistake I was high and wasn't thinking about that I didn't know this guy) we drove all over the place until I was lost ( which isn't hard I get lost in a one way drive Thur) we finally stopped in some junk yard. . .
he pulled a gun ( I wont give details ) the short end of is he raped me for 6 hours I was shot at it went through my hair( I smelled the gun powder for years) and he beat so bad you didn't even know who I was I looked in the mirror and couldn't see me, for what ever reason he drove me back to the bar I worked at and pushed me out of the van and drove off. . . ( please dint feel sorry for me I have come to terms with it and if it hadn't been for the drugs I would have never gotten into the van with him) I was found in my shower by my roommate later that night( she wasn't even sure it was me except I had a tattoo with my daughters name on my back) she cleaned me up and got a few of our friends to help watch me as I recovered. no I didn't go to the police ( I was a bartender who used ) I would have ended up on trial ( I have to live with that ) because a few months later the same guy raped a 13 year old. I ended up moving to the desert Palm springs I got pregnant I was happy and clean and the nightmares had slowed. when one day I got a call for the doctor I needed to come in it was my blood work I didn't think anything of it. I went in

they put me in a little room all white. . . I waited for the doctor. a lady doctor came not my doctor I had never seen this doctor she say in a voice real low " Brandy do you know what HIV is ?" yes I replied the floor dropped from my feet the room started to spin " she goes on to say " well you have it he res a card go see this doctor" I looked at grabbed my belly and said " my baby" that all I could say she said the new doctor will get you on meds the baby should be fine" and she walked out. . . as I was leaving all the nurses were looking at me like I was a freak show just watching not saying anything... I called my ride I cried for weeks I had thought the only thing the guy had left was nightmares... then I remembered the little girl and my world crushed in on me. the nightmares came back. ( the baby is neg) I didn't got on meds right away after my tests came back I got more news this doctor says " Brandy your counts are concerning you CD4 is 54 and you have cervical cancer " what does this mean I ask " Brandy you have AIDS" and I was thinking it couldn't get worse but the doctor goes on to say I'm sorry but you have about 3 years if you handle the meds well" WHAT. . .

I thought well if I'm going to die so soon I'm going to go out partying after the baby was born I got bad in drugs for years

one day I woke up cps had taken my kids the boyfriend was god only knew where. . .  I realized that I was killing my self not the decease I checked myself into a recovery home... I try ed to get the kids back but the lovely doctor had reported to the court that I had about 3 years so the judge said he couldn't give them back when I wouldn't live to see them to adulthood. I understand the judges view he didn't know any better he was going on what was best for my children... its been 5 years   yes I'm still clean I'm now in college I'm a psychology major specializing in HIV/AIDS mental health. I an advocate for hiv awareness and mentor to newly hiv poz women at my local hospital... My oldest daughter recently found me and has moved in she is going to college with me in the fall :) and I now have contact with my 15 and 16 , , ,  so all in all things couldn't have turned out better. . . the funny thing is I'm a better person then I was before all this happend. I cant re get what has happend to me because I love the person I am today and I wouldn't be that person if not for the things I went through to get here :)
The person you educate today maybe the one you save tomorrow :)

Offline 100proofBrandy

Re: intro
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 12:10:51 pm »
just a side note   
my levels are. . .
 undectable CD4 is at 693 at 34% :) I gotten better in just the last 2 years wooooo hoooo

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 12:23:39 pm »
Welcome to AIDSmeds Brandy. If you'd like to feel free to join in chatting with the ladies,

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=22087.msg283171#msg283171

Offline rick21007

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:28:40 pm »
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!  Been my experience some of the most incredibly awesome people walking on this planet happen to be pozes and in recovery.  I'd bet you'll be a great therapist.

rick

Offline Longislander

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 06:07:58 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Brandy~

You've been through quite a lot and broken through-congrats on everything you've accomplished !

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:17:59 pm »
Thank you for sharing your story with us Brandy.

Welcome to the boards!

P.S.  I like your handle.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 08:49:07 pm »

Hello And Welcome !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:02:14 pm »
HI brandy !
                    wishing you the best !

I also snooped around this web page for a while before ever joining !

Now I feel comfortable trying to post pictures !

It IS a wonderful outlet !

wish I had the brains for school !

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:44:20 am »
Hi Brandy,

Thank you for sharing....

and..Welcome

ronnie
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 05:43:33 am »
Brandy,

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry you had to go through so much. But wow things seem to be looking good for you now. Welcome  8)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 08:25:26 am »
Brandy, I loved your story and can relate to you on many fronts trust me.  Please consider joining us in the women's forum, specifically the dating thread.  It's not all about dating; it's where we ladies share our daily lives, struggles, victories and support each other.  We're a good group.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 09:38:01 am »
Welcome, Brandy. Thanks for sharing your story. You are a survivor in more ways than one.

Ford

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 12:55:28 pm »
That's quite a story.  Welcome to the site.
It's a complex world

Offline Texan38

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 01:23:52 pm »
Wow, thanks so much for sharing your story.

WELCOME BRANDY!!  :-*
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline 100proofBrandy

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 02:30:43 pm »
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome :)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 03:41:01 pm »
Brandy -- thank you for sharing your story here.  You're an inspiration, pure and simple.

I hope you'll keep posting here!

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.