Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:57:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutrition & Supplements  (Read 5589 times)

Offline living63

Nutrition & Supplements
« on: June 20, 2009, 03:41:01 am »
Hello to Everyone and greetings from Italy.
I am a member of http://www.poloinformativohiv.info , an Italian Web Site runned by HIV+ persons. I runned into your web forum and more specifically into your Supplements forum in order to find info on how Americans supplement their diet. I have found your debates very intersting and I would like to ask to MADBRAIN what kind of supplement he takes since I have noticed that his VL is low..and he is not on therapy. My bf just found out last april that he's S+ and other than eating whole food we are supplementing our diet with Vitaminc C 1gr, Selenium 100mcg and now Liver V, an herbal extract.

Thanks
R&M :)
You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time. Abraham Lincoln

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: Nutrition & Supplements
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:23:14 am »
Hi,

Hello to Everyone and greetings from Italy.
I am a member of http://www.poloinformativohiv.info , an Italian Web Site runned by HIV+ persons. I runned into your web forum and more specifically into your Supplements forum in order to find info on how Americans supplement their diet. I have found your debates very intersting and I would like to ask to MADBRAIN what kind of supplement he takes since I have noticed that his VL is low..and he is not on therapy. My bf just found out last april that he's S+ and other than eating whole food we are supplementing our diet with Vitaminc C 1gr, Selenium 100mcg and now Liver V, an herbal extract.

Thanks
R&M :)

Sorry to hear about your partner.

My supplement regimen is listed at :
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26331.msg329451#msg329451

I caution you that I'm not sure that this regimen is directly related to my low VL. It is more likely to be some genetic factors that are helping me than the supplement regimen . It could be either or both. Since these supplements are not overly expensive to me, I have decided to stay with them as long as I can afford them and I'm not getting side effects from them.

I have only gone the supplement route because my doc said HAART were not urgently needed, and the alternative was doing nothing and wait, which was not very appealing to me. Your partner needs to get his CD4 and VL checked like everyone else, and go or not go on treatment according to guidelines.

If HAART is not immediately needed, then IMO the supplement route is a good idea. Once on HAART, there is more potential for interactions between supplements and the meds, so one has to be more careful. And of course supplements can interact with other meds too, and with each other. It's always a good idea to ask your doctor and/or pharmacist about any supplements you take. They might not know about all the supplement benefits, but they should at minimum screen for interactions with meds.

In the list you mention, selenium is generally considered good against HIV.  200mcg/day is better than 100mcg. And make sure to get the most bioavailable form, l-selenomethionine.

1g of vitamin C is also what I take. I don't know about liver V. Unfortunately, most herbs are not well studied for use in HIV.

One more thing - I believe the forums are for HIV+ only, except for "am I infected" and "Someone I care about has HIV". If you are not positive then you should not post here. Of course if your question is just for me, you can PM me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 07:32:05 am by madbrain »

Offline living63

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 10:39:23 am »
Thank you very much for your time  :). I will not post in these sections anymore and I will PM you.
ciao.
You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time. Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 01:02:39 pm »
Hi Living,

You won't be able to PM or read PMs until you've posted in the forums three times. You can post again in this thread, or start another thread in the "Someone I Care About" forum.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Encourage your bf to join us!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline living63

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:31:03 pm »
Thank you Ann.
In effect I am the one who is more internet friendly. Here in Italy a lot of people still don't use internet  :( and in a way its better off this way at this time. We are going thru a lot of changes, such as selling our business & home and moving to my family's land in another region of Italy. Doing the research I am doing to change our eating habit and taking some supplements its a bit too much for him right now. but I will introduce him to the italian forum as soon as we settle down. We currently live in Sicily. Thank you so much once again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.