Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:55:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773455
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 315
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 272
Total: 272

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WTH ! Vampire facials  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
WTH ! Vampire facials
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:48:32 pm »
WTF is wrong with people

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/vampire-facials-at-new-mexico-spa-may-have-exposed-customers-to-hiv/

A "vampire facial" is a non-surgical facial where a patient's blood is drawn and then components of the blood are injected back into the face using micro needles. The procedure attracted some buzz after being popularized by celebrities like Kim Kardashian.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Re: WTH ! Vampire facials
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:01:42 pm »
The headline overreacting news aside, why the fuck would anyone want to draw their blood and than inject it back into their face??

Also why would I want my old blood back? If it was not doing the trick in the first place why have it back?

This sounds a lot like that fad of sticking a wasp nest up your box we saw a few years ago, is this the next thing ?the wasps were fed up so now its injecting blood instead  :o

it all sounds mental

The wasp nest in your vagina fad; https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=66529.msg727618#msg727618
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:05:34 pm »
Ill be honest when my mate said "Did you see that about vampire facials?" My mind thought he was on about some nasty oral sex ;D
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 05:27:21 pm »
Well the article doesn't say exactly why there is an HIV/Hep risk, but presumably they could have re-used needles across customers.

I'm with you on the 'what the fuck?' part of it. I suppose it is an ignorant extrapolation of the 'plasma rich injections' that some althletes use to allegedly aid recovery. Of course with those, the blood taken is treated via a centrifuge before being injected back. This sounds like a fad which is loosely based on the logic behind that I suspect.

It's all madness of course.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:14:28 am »
Well the article doesn't say exactly why there is an HIV/Hep risk, but presumably they could have re-used needles across customers.

Indeed drawing blood into vacuum and injecting, reusing that is a no-no, if its not that then its just the usual overreaction.

I'm with you on the 'what the fuck?' part of it. I suppose it is an ignorant extrapolation of the 'plasma rich injections' that some althletes use to allegedly aid recovery. Of course with those, the blood taken is treated via a centrifuge before being injected back. This sounds like a fad which is loosely based on the logic behind that I suspect.

It's all madness of course.

Agreed, its utter madness.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 02:07:04 am »
As an American I apologize for Los ageles.  I lived in California for three years.  There not right out there.  Someone probably read about Elizabeth Bathory or something and said cool.  This is the same place where another celeb wanted to use surgical sedative a sleep aid. 

The really nutty part is how many people believe in something because someone famous did.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 05:54:11 am »
The follow up on this story.

My question remains:

Why the fuck would anyone want to draw their blood and than inject it back into their face?? Also why would I want my old blood back? If it was not doing the trick in the first place why have it back?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6973771/Vampire-facials-gave-HIV-two-New-Mexico-spa-clients-officials-warn.html

Last year, VIP Spa in Albuquerque, New Mexico was shut down after health department officials found that its need practices were risky

Since September, two spa clients who had vampire facials have been diagnosed with the same HIV strain

So far, 100 former clients have been tested, but the New Mexico Department of Health is urging anyone that had any kind of injection service get tested
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Hope4life

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 06:25:26 am »
Unbelievable. and nasty... just on a lighter note if someone want more positivity in their aura they can try that with my blood. Because I am extra positive.   ;D

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 07:02:35 am »
Unbelievable. and nasty... just on a lighter note if someone want more positivity in their aura they can try that with my blood. Because I am extra positive.   ;D

;D I should not laugh, but I could not help myself.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 08:20:02 am »
if someone wants more positivity in their aura they can try that with my blood. Because I am extra positive. 
ROFLMAO  :o ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hope4life

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 09:56:12 am »
Hehe  ;D... Sorry but me too couldn't resist myself to write something like that..  8)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 09:22:27 am »
This news story is trending again. 6 years later, nothing new except they have three suspected cases not two.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vampire-facial-hiv-new-mexico-infection-cdc/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 01:36:00 pm »
one spa client tested positive for HIV while traveling abroad in 2018. Another tested positive for HIV during routine tests for life insurance in 2018, while a third did not find out she had HIV until a year ago, when hospitalized with an AIDS-related illness
. . .
While the CDC report didn't name the unlicensed spa, the New Mexico Department of Health in 2018 had shut down the VIP Spa in Albuquerque after state inspectors found practices that could potentially spread blood-borne infections, including HIV, to clients.
did the CDC not follow up with all the clients? Did she refuse or ignore notifications? Was this incident not reported enough that this third person was left out of notification? Usually American health departments are pretty hard-core with follow up of sexual partners or those who may have been put at risk.

Wonder if she knew about this risk but just didn't get tested? While I can empathize and sympathize with that sentiment, I would have hoped that that kind of attitude had been left behind in the 90s. Regardless what a sad hard way to get a diagnosis that late. Thankfully for her future, it's not the 90s.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2024, 02:06:48 pm »
did the CDC not follow up with all the clients? Did she refuse or ignore notifications? Was this incident not reported enough that this third person was left out of notification? Usually American health departments are pretty hard-core with follow up of sexual partners or those who may have been put at risk.

Wonder if she knew about this risk but just didn't get tested? While I can empathize and sympathize with that sentiment, I would have hoped that that kind of attitude had been left behind in the 90s. Regardless what a sad hard way to get a diagnosis that late. Thankfully for her future, it's not the 90s.

I don't know and nothing would surprise me, it's the CDC ...  One of the last globally to acknowledge the fact that a suppressed VL means you can't pass on HIV, so just a few decades behind and let's not get started on kissing.

Anyhow, I had a read:

CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/73/wr/mm7316a3.htm?s_cid=mm7316a3_w

Four of the five patients with confirmed spa A–related HIV infections received at least one PRP with microneedling facial treatment at spa A during May–September 2018.

Two of the patients in this cluster (a man and a woman) were engaged in a sexual relationship before and after their diagnoses. Sexual partners of two other patients received negative HIV test results after their partners’ diagnoses, and the remaining patient reported having no sexual partner at the time of diagnosis.

Before receiving a diagnosis of confirmed HIV infection, two of the five patients had previously received a positive rapid HIV test result during routine evaluations for life insurance, one in summer 2016, and the other in fall 2018; however, only one patient reported being notified of the positive screening test result and subsequently had their HIV diagnosis confirmed by a primary care provider in winter 2019.

The other patient received a confirmed HIV diagnosis after hospitalization with an AIDS-defining illness in fall 2021. One patient received their HIV diagnosis in spring 2023 after hospitalization with an AIDS-defining illness.

The two patients who were engaged in a sexual relationship had stage 3 or chronic HIV infections, indicating that their infections were likely attributed to exposures before receipt of cosmetic injection services. The other three patients in this cluster had no known social contact with one another, and no specific mechanism for transmission among these patients was confirmed.

::)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:14:06 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 09:11:49 pm »
This is ridiculous!...
This will only work with the blood of your enemies!...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.