Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:21:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 357
Total: 357

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hep C - Have you been tested?  (Read 11181 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Hep C - Have you been tested?
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:23 am »
HCV Testing, Diagnosis Being Overlooked in People With HIV

Although hepatitis C virus (HCV) is a common and serious coinfection among people living with HIV, it often goes undiagnosed, even in a major U.S. city with multiple HIV care providers and a clinic dedicated to caring for people with both infections. This is the finding of a Miami cohort study reported Tuesday, March 6, at the 19th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Seattle. 

Conducted by Khaled Deeb, MD, of the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine and his colleagues, the analysis presented in Seattle involved a medical chart review of 14,900 people living with HIV, who were in care for more than a year during the period between 2000 and 2011.

Though HCV antibody testing is widely recommended for all people living with HIV, only 49 percent of the Miami cohort had been tested. Of this group, 19 percent were HCV-antibody positive, indicating past—but not necessarily current—HCV infection.

Forty percent of those found to be HCV-antibody positive did not have confirmatory testing, notably an HCV viral load test to look for active infection. Of the 1,074 HCV antibody-positive individuals who did receive confirmatory testing, HCV viral loads were detectable in 705 (70 percent).

Only 68 percent of those found to have active infection underwent HCV genotype testing—an important pre-treatment determination. Of those who were tested, 84 percent were living with genotype 1a HCV infection; only 11 percent carried non-1 HCV genotypes.

A majority of those living with HIV and hepatitis C were male (69 percent) and were over 50 years of age. With respect to race/ethnicity, 60 percent of people living with HIV and HCV were non-Hispanic blacks; 29 percent were Hispanic and 11 percent were white.

The authors recognized that recent improvements in HCV treatment have sparked a higher level of interest among providers and their patients. Nonetheless, Deeb noted, “only about half of the total HIV population was tested for HCV.” What’s more, he reported, “Only half of those coinfected were referred to the hepatitis C coinfection clinic.”

Deeb concluded: “There is a great need to educate providers on HCV treatment and improve care to this most vulnerable inner city population. Referring the patients to a dedicated HCV/HIV coinfection clinic may lead to better patient care and treatment outcomes.”

Everyone living with hiv should be periodically screened for hep C - even if you believe you have not been at risk. Next time you have an appointment with your hiv doctor, be sure to ask whether or not you've been screened. If you haven't ever or haven't been screened in the past few years, be sure to request that a hep C antibody test is run along with your other labs.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Hep C - Have you been tested?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:39:46 am »
The doctors are supposed to screen everyone here.

It is still best for each of us to advocate for ourselves and make sure.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:33 am »
The doctors are supposed to screen everyone here.

It is still best for each of us to advocate for ourselves and make sure.

HUGS,

Mark

I'm screened once a yr. for HEP B & C  ( I've already had HEP B back in 1979) I'm also screened for any STD's STI's annually, and if I'm not mistaken it's required by the State DOH here in New Mexico for any access ASO programs provided by them, whether your on Medicaid or not  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:32:37 am »
World Hepatitis Day is Saturday, July 28, 2012.
The CDC has declared May 19, 2012 as the first ever Hepatitis Testing Day

Mark your calendars and talk to your ASOs about doing something to promote HEP-awareness on those days.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:47:01 am »
Thanks for the reminder Ann . I suffered with chronic Hep B for years and recently had a liver scan and some blood work done to keep tabs on it . Thankfully I'm in full remission from years of being on truvada treatment .

I did have a scare when I went in for the liver scan and read that I was referred for the test because of Hep C ... my heart sank and I was very upset until I found out that Hep C had been checked instead of Hep B on the test order . It useally takes days for a nurse to call back if you are not having an emergency at my clinic but she called me within the hour apologising for the scary mistake .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:34 am »
Yes, I have been checked.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:15:29 pm »
Been screened at least once a year.  They do the syphilis test far more often.  My friend had Hep B  at some point and cleared it, but the VA never told him he tested positive for it.  So, I always look at my own lab reports to double check.

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:41:31 pm »
With my very boring life, I doubt I'll ever be at risk of hep C , or even B, but I'm still screened by doc's orders, so I had a recent scan of hep B and C (negative both of course).
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:11:16 pm »
Yep I was tested in 2006.

Offline surf18

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »
I had hep b and cleared it. Wicked high liver enezymes made the dr realize I had a liver problem. My question is does hep c cause high liver enzymes too? So if one had normal liver tests he would be good to go?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:35 am »
My doctor screens for this (along with a host of other panels) once a year.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 06:14:00 am »
Surf, sometimes hep C causes elevated liver enzymes and sometimes it doesn't.

I was initially tested because of an isolated lab result showing elevated enzymes, but that was the only time they were high. From that point and all through the next three years before I did the treatment, my enzyme levels were always within normal ranges - or only very slightly above.

However, even though I had normal enzyme levels, a biopsy showed that I had a fair amount of liver damage. I think it was stage three - out of four. (It's been nearly ten years since I had to worry about my liver - the treatment was successful for me - and so I'm a little hazy on some of the numerical details.)

Also, before treatment, my hep C viral load was in the region of 300 MILLION. (very high hcv VLs are common) I went undetectable within about ten weeks of starting treatment and I'm undetectable to this day - which means I had a "sustained response" or "cure" in layman's language. My doctor runs a hep C VL test on me at least once a year - occasionally more often if my liver enzymes are slightly elevated due to a heavy weekend in the pub. (I know, terrible, right?) ;D

So no, having normal liver enzymes will not tell you whether or not you have hep C. Only antibody testing - and follow-up viral load testing if the antibody is positive - will tell you where you stand in relation to hep C. Get tested, even if you think you have not been at risk.

Ahem. Let me repeat that - Get tested, even if you think you have not been at risk.

It's great to hear that so many here are being regularly screened. I'm going to harp on about this anyway - because I'm willing to bet that some members have never been screened and need to speak to their doctor about it.

Anyone who wants to know more about any of the heps should go read the Lessons over at our sister site Hepmag.com. They also have Forums you can join if you want to talk to others who are dealing with hepatitis of one sort or another.

At the risk of being repetitive and boring the crap out of everyone - I'm going to say it yet again:

Get tested, even if you think you have not been at risk.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:17:24 am »
World Hepatitis Day is Saturday, July 28, 2012.
The CDC has declared May 19, 2012 as the first ever Hepatitis Testing Day

Mark your calendars and talk to your ASOs about doing something to promote HEP-awareness on those days.  ;)

Thanks for that, Mike.

Thanks for the reminder Ann . I suffered with chronic Hep B for years and recently had a liver scan and some blood work done to keep tabs on it . Thankfully I'm in full remission from years of being on truvada treatment .

I did have a scare when I went in for the liver scan and read that I was referred for the test because of Hep C ... my heart sank and I was very upset until I found out that Hep C had been checked instead of Hep B on the test order . It useally takes days for a nurse to call back if you are not having an emergency at my clinic but she called me within the hour apologising for the scary mistake .   

Wow, yeah, scary. Have you been tested for hep C? Make sure you have.

Yep I was tested in 2006.

That was six years ago Rod. You'd be wise to have an antibody test run again - better safe than sorry.

I just can't help it - I'm gonna say it again!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 10:29:38 am »

Wow, yeah, scary. Have you been tested for hep C? Make sure you have.

Yes ... they test me for it every year .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 10:40:05 am »
Am I the only one who noticed that Mark didn't actually say if he'd been tested? :D

Offline aztecan

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 10:49:43 am »
Am I the only one who noticed that Mark didn't actually say if he'd been tested? :D

Why, yes, you are the only one who noticed that.

HUGS,

Mark
 ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 12:39:31 pm »
Why, yes, you are the only one who noticed that.

HUGS,

Mark
 ;)

btw, the test doesn't come buried in a gluten-free cupcake.

Offline Miss Philicia

Offline Valmont

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 11:33:58 pm »
I ve been tested too...

My dad has Hep C, he got it from a blood transfusion in 79, he received two treatments for two years, these are very strong and discapacitive (much more than the desease itself) but it has never been eradicated, thanks goodness, evolution is very slow.

I have the impression that medecines against HIV give aa better life quality than those against hep C...
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 04:13:55 am »

I've been tested at least twice annually, since 2003, and prior to that at least once per year.

I also had the HEP B vaccinations done around 1997.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline joemutt

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:00 am »
Got tested last week, negative  :). Dr diagnosed fibromyalgia, though.  :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 08:57:53 am »
aidsmap: Hepatitis C infections now twice as likely in HIV+ gay men as in injecting drug users, Swiss study finds

I meant to thank you for that link when you first posted it. It gave me a lot to think about - including wondering how much needle exchange programs (very much the norm in Western Europe) have played into those stats.

The IVDU hiv and hep C transmission rates in areas where needle exchange programs are in place are extremely low. Needle exchange programs have been proven to work and it's a crime they're not in place everywhere.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 01:28:09 am »
I was tested for Hep B and C when I was diagnosed a little over a year ago.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline aztecan

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »
btw, the test doesn't come buried in a gluten-free cupcake.

I wish it did!

I believe I was tested about a decade ago. Or, at least, I think I was.

I will double check with the doctor to be aure.

I know Hep B is a done deal, though.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:59 pm »
My Dr. does a Hep B and C screening once a year , every 6 months if I date someone with Hep.
Michelle  8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 07:37:31 am »

I believe I was tested about a decade ago. Or, at least, I think I was.

I will double check with the doctor to be aure.

Mark, even if you were tested ten years ago, it's time you were tested again.

Ahem... Get tested, even if you think you have not been at risk.

Don't make me come all the way out to the wilds of Arizona just to give you a spanking, young man! ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 10:44:07 am »
Don't make me come all the way out to the wilds of Arizona just to give you a spanking, young man! ;)

You shouldn't be threatening Mark with a good time.  ;D

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

A little more on Hep C, and a clip from the article:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/243766.php

"An effective HCV vaccine is desperately needed. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the virus has established mostly silent infections in 130 to 170 million people worldwide - nearly 3 percent of the human population - and spreads to 3 to 4 million new people annually. HCV principally infects liver cells, and is thought to cause chronic, often-unnoticed liver inflammation, which eventually can lead to serious liver ailments. The virus already is responsible for about a quarter of annual US cases of liver cirrhosis and primary liver cancer, and it is the leading cause of liver transplants. In some developing countries, HCV prevalence is extremely high; studies suggest that in Egypt, as many as 22 percent of the population is infected - apparently due to poor screening of blood products and past re-use of syringes. Even in developed countries, HCV infections represent a looming public health crisis. In the United States and Europe, up to 14 million people are now HCV-positive, and each year an estimated 150,000 people are newly infected..."

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.