Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 355
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Vaccine  (Read 71724 times)

Offline remo85

Re: COVID-19 Vaccine
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2021, 07:54:23 pm »
How are you getting your medications refilled. When were your last Labs done ?

I live in a sh*tty 3rd world country. Pharmacies are glad to take $100 per bottle of atripla without a prescription.

Private is too expensive and I'm shut down of the public healthcare system if I'm out of a job... so it's been... around 4 years now approximately but I had been doing great with atripla and I feel fine honestly.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2021, 07:56:08 pm »

My advice, would be to ask the person administering the vaccine. There could very well be a doctor on site.
You need to let them know you are HIV positive, but you are not sure of your current Viral load or CD 4 count.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline remo85

« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2021, 07:57:43 pm »

My advice, would be to ask the person administering the vaccine. There could very well be a doctor on site.
You need to let them know you are HIV positive, but you are not sure of your current Viral load or CD 4 count.

Ray

Thanks Ray. I'm skipping it till i get my count i guess. I have a weird gut feeling.
Hug

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2021, 08:03:52 pm »

Thanks Ray. I'm skipping it till i get my count i guess. I have a weird gut feeling.
Hug

I would work on getting those results as quickly as possible. I know the difficulties this Pandemic has caused, and the jobs lost because of it.

Until then, keep yourself fully protected against Covid.

Take care ----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2021, 08:17:39 pm »
Remo,

The Atripla that you are getting,... Have you been taking that consistently, everyday without missing doses since your diagnosis ?

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline remo85

« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2021, 08:31:20 pm »
Remo,

The Atripla that you are getting,... Have you been taking that consistently, everyday without missing doses since your diagnosis ?

Ray

Yeah, every day I have but I've fallen a bit out of the healthy lifestyle I had at first. Been drinking a bit.
But I'm pretty much a recluse these days, I just go out to the grocery store since I work from home. Mainly cause this sht sparked the OCD I thought I had buried 15 years ago. So regardless of my status I'm the least exposed I can be.

I think it's good advice...Maybe I should get checked before the vaccine. I'm glad to have come here cause otherwise, I would've gone straight to the line.
I don't know when the next vaccination round will come but I'll be alright.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2021, 08:39:46 pm »

Well,... Stay in touch and work on getting those labs. who knows you may have 800 tcells and undetectable viral load, or you could have 200 tcell and a detectable viral load. Only way of knowing is to get those labs done.

Stay safe---Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2021, 12:55:25 pm »

Hug

Hello Remo,
do you by any chance know which vaccine they are dispensing ?

As far as I know, none of the vaccines interacts with HIV meds.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2021, 04:26:58 pm »
Hello Remo,
do you by any chance know which vaccine they are dispensing ?

As far as I know, none of the vaccines interacts with HIV meds.

Grasshopper,

Remo was scheduled to get the Pfizer vaccine. As I understand it, I don't think he was concerned about interactions with his Atripla. I think the real issue is, he has had no labs done for possibly two or more years.

He has no idea what his current numbers are, he states that he "feels fine" But I am Leary about statements like that. I felt fine also, up until 6 months before I was hospitalized. But I was not on medication at the time.

Hopefully the Atripla that he says he takes consistently, is doing its job, but he needs to get some labs done as soon as possible.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline remo85

« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2021, 05:59:02 pm »
Grasshopper,

Remo was scheduled to get the Pfizer vaccine. As I understand it, I don't think he was concerned about interactions with his Atripla. I think the real issue is, he has had no labs done for possibly two or more years.

He has no idea what his current numbers are, he states that he "feels fine" But I am Leary about statements like that. I felt fine also, up until 6 months before I was hospitalized. But I was not on medication at the time.

Hopefully the Atripla that he says he takes consistently, is doing its job, but he needs to get some labs done as soon as possible.

Ray

It's gonna be a ...great weekend...

Thankful nonetheless.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: July 30, 2021, 03:09:31 pm »
From the July 26, 2021, edition of online (NAM) Aidsmap, lede graph:

People with HIV on antiretroviral treatment showed evidence of broad immune responses against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, according to a pair of studies presented last week at the 11th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Science (IAS 2021). The ability to develop natural immunity against the coronavirus bodes well for a good response to COVID-19 vaccines.

###

Link to source material:

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/jul-2021/people-hiv-can-produce-adequate-immune-response-sars-cov-2
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Texland

« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2021, 03:42:16 pm »
It appears the FDA (US) will approve booster shots of Covid vaccine for people with compromised immune systems. This includes people who are HIV+, those who have received organ transplants and others taking immunosupressant drugs for medical reasons.

The Washington Post reports:

Federal health officials are racing to ensure that millions of Americans with weakened immune systems can get additional shots of coronavirus vaccines to protect them against the highly contagious delta variant.

The actions could mean the extra shots would be authorized in days or weeks, according to federal officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plan has not been announced.

The stepped-up activity reflects increased urgency by the Biden administration to shield some of the nation’s most vulnerable adults as coronavirus cases rise sharply. That has increased as some other countries take steps to provide shots to people who are immunocompromised or older, and as some Americans pursue the shots on their own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/06/booster-shots-immunocompromised-fda/

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2021, 01:55:21 am »

Thanks for that !! I will be watching and waiting.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2021, 02:51:31 am »
Ready whenever they are ;)

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2021, 11:05:12 am »
I need it now. I had 60 CD4s in Feb./March before I knew I had AIDS.

Yes, I am on an ARV and an antibiotic now.

Offline an92

« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2021, 05:56:05 am »
Hello,

I am booked to get my first shot of the pfizer vaccine on Friday, and the second one in three weeks time.

I have put it off for so long, even though it has been available for many months, because I was so worried about it somehow disrupting the delicate balance that I have cultivated in my body thanks to the HIV medicines. They have built up my immune system to normal and I'm so afraid of anything disrupting that.

I finally took the decision to do the shot, and let me tell you it was not easy psychologically. Can someone reassure me, when you did your vaccine were you Ok? was everything OK with your viral load?

I need the vaccine to protect me from the effects of covid but also to travel freely to see family abroad.

Thank you

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2021, 06:43:55 am »
there's a thread about Covid here https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75065.0

the Covid vaccine doesn't do anything against HIV or against your medications. It only gives you antibodies against the Covid virus. Many people have a sore arm for a day or so after the shots and sometimes a more intense reaction after the second shot (nausea, fatigue) for a day.

As someone who nearly died of AIDS several times, i find it interesting that your logic was the exact opposite of mine. Because of my low cd4 counts, I stayed on PCP prophylaxis for a decade because I did not want to get sick with pneumonia again. I anxiously awaited for the day when I could get the covid vaccine so I wouldn't be hospitalized with this disease. As people living with HIV for 35 yrs, my husband and I got our shots as soon as they were available. Both shots were completed in March 2021. Now I'm waiting to hear when my husband, my elderly parents and grandmother (104), and myself will be eligible for a booster shot. Your opinion to wait doesn't seem the best choice when the data seems to indicate that people living with HIV who contract covid have worse outcomes (ie more hospitalizations and deaths). But you've made the choice now and that's a great thing! Make sure to get those shots, especially as the Delta variant is so much more contagious and other variants could be possible in the future.

https://clinicalinfo.hiv.gov/en/guidelines/covid-19-and-persons-hiv-interim-guidance/interim-guidance-covid-19-and-persons-hiv

and speaking of the future, there is a likely possibility that COVID will be with us for some time (i.e. years), and that we may be receiving a booster shot every year, just like we get a flu shot every year. Now that you're about to get vaccinated, make sure to stay on top of getting any of these future vaccinations too. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline harleymc

« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2021, 06:49:12 am »
Glad I've had my shots like the hundreds of millions around the world have.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2021, 09:00:18 am »
hundreds of millions around the world
tbh, to me, that seems to be a very important data point. 1.21 billion people worldwide have received both shots. That many recipients has generated a huge amount of data (it's like the world's largest drug trial ever!) This data shows how very few have moderate to severe reactions link. Stats range from .04% to .08% for vaccinated people to test positive and the amount of vaccinated people to have died is even smaller (approx 0.000009%) link.

I find the situation very similar to 1995. There was a pandemic and scientists developed medications (in this case, a 3-drug regimen) that not only kept patients from dying (it was a radical reduction of deaths!) but mitigated the effects of the disease allowing most patients, if not all, to regain their health. Some of the same reasons for taking ARVs (to not be ill, to not die, to regain/improve immune system function) are the same reasons to get the COVID vaccination.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline virgo313

« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2021, 10:54:10 am »
The feeling of relief once the 2nd shot was given to me. I also feel burden off my chest when both my parents got their 2nd jab mid April. They are almost 90 yrs. Can’t “filter”  those negative “news/gossip” on potential side effect as we are living in this modern age. The dead speed (how fast from health to ICU to coffin) should be a note for all to get vaccinated asap. Benefits of after vaccine is much much more then any possible side effect.
Covid will be around for a long time, don’t delay to get vaccinated.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2021, 12:05:56 am »

About an hour ago, the FDA  approved the 3rd dose of Pfizer or moderna vaccines.

FDA Authorizes Third COVID Vaccine Dose For Immunocompromised People

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/08/12/third-covid-vaccine-booster-shot-immunocompromised-fda-moderna-pfizer/

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline dancingthroughlife

« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2021, 09:21:53 pm »
May not be an appropriate platform to ask this, but my GP refused to answer this question.

Currently I'm still not vaccinated for Covid-19 because rules here means I'm not eligible to take one previously. Now they announced new eligibility which means I might be able to take the vaccine. 

Looking at the timeline, I would only be able to take 1 mRNA dose before I have to leave. Can't delay my departure either as I have a job starting real soon (So yay!). Where I'm headed can't guarantee if I can take another mRNA dose, or even whether they'll recognize the first dose taken overseas. Good thing though they'll guarantee I'll get 2 doses.

Should I take that first dose anyway or just wait out till i reach my destination? Just a little wary of travelling under pandemic condition without any vaccine.

Offline Texland

« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2021, 04:15:36 am »
dancingthroughlife -

Get vaccinated! One shot is better than nothing. It may be the difference between life and death.
Bring your proof of vaccination to where you are moving. As long as the same vaccinations are being used in both places, they shouldn't have a problem giving you the second one.
You don't want to get infected while traveling. The Delta variation is burning through populations right now.

Offline virgo313

« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2021, 09:07:24 am »
Hi Dancing,
Yes like texland advise, take it.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Expat1

« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2021, 05:37:27 am »
This week the FDA and CDC (United States) approved supplementary third doses of mRNA vaccines to certain people with immune issues.   

So Friday I logged onto the Walgreens site.  It did not have a place to register for third doses.  So I just reserved a 1st dose for Saturday. (yesterday). 

Pharmacist asked for id card, looked up saw I was in her system (Walgreens).  I told her it was for a third dose of Moderna.  I had paperwork with me showing HIV dignosis but it was not required.  I just needed to  check a box the attested that I had one of the conditions listed in the adjacent box which included HIV, cancer treatments, and a list of other conditions, medical treatments.

Checked box.  She took a few minutes to prepare dose and authorize billing.  Vaccine free to me.   

Then I went into the injection room, and received third dose of Moderna vaccine.  She marked my CDC card with info on batch number and indicated third dose given.

Overall very easy process.  I was in and out in 30 minutes. 

This happened in California.  At a Walgreens pharmacy, not my regular one as it only had Pfizer.  There was no one waiting before of after I received the shot.

No adverse side effects this time.  Except I need to take a 2 hour nap.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2021, 05:46:26 am »

Now I'm waiting to hear when my husband, my elderly parents and grandmother (104), and myself will be eligible for a booster shot. .

You can get third doses now.  I got mine at Walgreens today.   I posted the process in another thread.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75510.msg775720#msg775720
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 05:51:31 am by Expat1 »

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
Thank you for alerting me!

I got my #3 Pfizer BioNTech at 11:55 AM ET USA at a close-by Walgreens.

Offline 90024male

« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2021, 07:58:47 pm »
Should I get a 3rd dose of the Covid-19 vaccine now? My 2nd dose of Pfizer was on 03/22, CD4 = 400, VL = U. If so, should I get Moderna given the recent Mayo study? My doctor is on vacation, so if any of you have spoken with your doctor about this topic, I would greatly appreciate knowing his/her advice. Thanks!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2021, 09:21:25 pm »

:)

So,... I decided earlier this evening, to secure message my Infectious Disease doctor at  the VA medical Center.

I wanted to get her opinion and thoughts on the 3rd Covid vaccine, and If she felt that I should receive it, at this point in time, knowing my complete medical history as she does.

I received my second dose of Pfizer on March 18th, so in a few more days, It will be 5 month's since that second dose. This pretty much the way I asked her about it, so we"ll see what the reply will be.

Ray  8)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Diagnosedat50

« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2021, 09:55:18 pm »
Interesting, my Infectious Disease specialist told me that I do not need to worry about getting a booster vaccine just yet. I had a CD4 count of 598 and undetectable VL (< 20) when my blood work was done last month, so he said I don’t qualify as immunocompromised.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2021, 10:29:14 pm »
Interesting, my Infectious Disease specialist told me that I do not need to worry about getting a booster vaccine just yet. I had a CD4 count of 598 and undetectable VL (< 20) when my blood work was done last month, so he said I don’t qualify as immunocompromised.

Yeah,... I was thinking the same thing. My numbers are similar to yours.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline daveR

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2021, 01:25:22 am »
I am envious of all you people getting your third booster dose. I am still waiting for my first shot. Moderna bought and paid for, arrival time, when it gets here. This year, next year, sometime, never.
Progress is being made now though as the over 60's and people with certain chronic conditions can register for a free course. Unfortunately HIV doesn't make the list of conditions.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2021, 08:31:09 am »
Yeah,... I was thinking the same thing. My numbers are similar to yours.

Ray

Hmm....I don't know, but think I will feel more secure/comfortable with any other extra protection since school is about to start. I work at a College/University, and I am afraid of catching something from the partying students.

I am not so worried about the hiv thingy....but a few years back I had a serious cardiac incident, and that worries me.

Tested positive july 1992, and been to Hell and back since. I have been undetectable since november 2001 (back then it was VL less than 500). Now it's under 20.

Reading about most of you guy's CD'4 count, makes me uncomfortable mentioning mine.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2021, 12:54:58 pm »
Folks in most parts of the United States:

I got my third shot today, Pfizer (for me), administered by a pharmacist at Walgreens.  As others have mentioned, easy.  I was in and out in 10 minutes, and actually managed to pick up a few sundries.

Technically, I understand that this is really a third shot, not a booster (boosters may have a different formula).

One thing to recall in future, though, is that the CDC website, as of August 13, 2021,  mentions that folks are not advised to get more than three mRNA doses (at least at this time).  So, keep that in mind in future if boosters are recommended that may be mRNA doses.  Perhaps, the recommendations will change by then, or booster options, when and if they come, are not mRNA doses or you have the option of a non-mRNA booster.

CDC link, followed by cut-and-paste of relevant language:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html

Can you mix and match the vaccines?
For people who received either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine series, a third dose of the same mRNA vaccine should be used. A person should not receive more than three mRNA vaccine doses. If the mRNA vaccine product given for the first two doses is not available or is unknown, either mRNA COVID-19 vaccine product may be administered.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2021, 01:42:35 pm »
I received my reply from my infectious disease provider. She said that currently the VA has not formally arranged this yet . This is ok for me. I have no problem waiting a while longer. I am to keep an eye on my alert messages for any changes..

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2021, 07:52:08 pm »
we traveled an hour through some terrible rainstorms (before the storms coming with Tropical storm "Fred" tomorrow) to get our jabs at our provider this afternoon. (Our doctor in Charlotte NC is about 50 miles from us in "smallville" SC) Then we drove back through thunderstorms. We would have gone somewhere local but the clinic had some doses that would "expire" at the end of month. Knowing there is less availability in our small town, we felt the trek was the right thing to do. we made sure a few other friends knew about the availability of 3rd doses and several of them went to the clinic today too.

Well, I didn't get the limited high  8) that I got off my 2nd dose  :'( :'( but I did get the mild headache again.  :o ::)  I think I may be having some arm soreness....but that could just be hypochondria too.  ;D ;D With the previous jabs, arm soreness wasn't an issue for me until the next day.  ;) Hoping the hubby doesn't feel sick like his did last jab and have to take a sick day from work.

we live in a very mask-banning, vax-denying area and certainly glad to get as much protection as we can get.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2021, 10:54:32 pm »
BREAKING NEWS

U.S. to Advise Boosters for Most Americans 8 Months After Vaccination

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/vaccination-booster-shots.html

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration has decided that most Americans should get a coronavirus booster shot eight months after they completed their initial vaccination, and could begin offering the extra shots as early as mid-September, according to two administration officials familiar with the discussions.

Officials are planning to announce the administration’s decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing surging caseloads across the nation."

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2021, 10:58:56 pm »

we live in a very mask-banning, vax-denying area and certainly glad to get as much protection as we can get.

I didn't know you lived in Florida !

Thousands of Hillsborough students in COVID quarantine; District schedules emergency meeting

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2021/08/16/hillsborough-county-schools--5500--students-in-isolation-or-quarantine

TAMPA — Hillsborough County Public Schools says 5,599 students and 316 school employees are currently in isolation or quarantine, so the school board will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2021, 11:57:39 am »
I didn't know you lived in Florida !
Hey!  :D  just because SC is 1/5th the population of FL, doesn't mean our neighbors aren't as ignorant as people in other states. (They too believe it's a Democratic plot against Jebus and #45 who told them masks and vaccines are Satan's tools to oppress patriotic citizens.  ::) ) We too have a Gov (Foghorn Leghorn McMasters) who has banned mask mandates even though only 41% are fully vaccinated (nearly 10% less than FL at this point).

Although the nursing home made an exception so my mom and I could visit my grandmother on her 104th  :-* :-* birthday last week, we don't get to see her for at least another 14 days because staff members keep testing positive. I'll never understand why every health care staff member isn't fully vaccinated, especially those in nursing homes. All the staff is vaccinated at my HIV clinic, but that might have something to do with the facts that the clinic is owned by my gay HIV specialist doctor and the high percentage of LGBT people who are vaccinated. link  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2021, 01:25:15 pm »
For those of us in the United States who have already received the third shot (distinct from "boosters") based on the CDC recommendation made final and public Friday, August 13, 2021, or who may plan to get the third shot prior to the roll-out of "boosters," particularly if  the relevant "booster" is a different formula from the first two doses, if applicable, you may wish to check with your health care providers about when the eight-month clock begins.

For example, if I received my first Pfizer vaccine March 26, 2021, and the second dose April 16, 2021, but received the third shot August 16, 2021, did my eight-month clock begin April 16, 2021, or August 16, 2021?

Since flu season in the Northern Hemisphere will soon begin (my flu shot for the coming season is scheduled for September 29, 2021), folks on this board may be preparing, also, for flu shot season and may need to be mindful of not scheduling too many vaccines within a recommended time frame.

Also, keep in mind the current guidance from the CDC that people should not receive more than three mRNA vaccine doses.  (Again, I have not seen any info with certainty that "boosters," real boosters, not third shots of, say Moderna or Pfizer, which are most certainly mRNA doses, are mRNA doses).

All of this can change, of course, even the guidance on number of mRNA doses one should receive, as the scientific method grinds on to deal with a novel virus and its mutations, but something of which to be mindful, that's all.

Please stay healthy, all.

I'm sure there is someone on this board far smarter than I when it comes to reading these understandably evolving recommendations from government-sponsored agencies, so please feel free to comment as this process unfolds.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:28:39 pm by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2021, 05:21:25 pm »
For those of us in the United States who have already received the third shot (distinct from "boosters") based on the CDC recommendation made final and public Friday, August 13, 2021, or who may plan to get the third shot prior to the roll-out of "boosters," particularly if  the relevant "booster" is a different formula from the first two doses, if applicable, you may wish to check with your health care providers about when the eight-month clock begins.

I was wondering if the "Boooster" , might be a different formulation, than the original two doses. 

A lot to think about here.. Good post ! My significant other was reading today that the 3rd shot or booster, should be 8 weeks after the second pfizer or moderna, if I understood him correctly.

Ray
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 05:23:44 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2021, 05:24:51 pm »

I will be relying on my primary care and infectious disease care for further instructions.

I usually get my flu shot in October or early November.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2021, 06:06:10 pm »
For what it's worth, the slight digging (with a hand spade, not a shovel) I've done and from all the reportage I've read, it's a third shot of the same vaccine (as far as Moderna and Pfizer are concerned).

Now, it may turn out that the official "booster" is the same formula, but I can't find any definitive info on that (might be proprietary info at this time, anyway), and I have used a full garden shovel on that one.  But often, based on past experience in these type of things, the "booster" formula is different.

Just a thought to keep in mind as events unfold.

In regard to the imminent or just today "leaked" information reported by media sources throughout the United States (but I can't see anything official yet), that "boosters" will be recommended to the wider fully vaccinated pool, yes, that is what I read, that the "booster," when official, should be administered at least eight weeks after final dosage of the initial vaccine regimen (hence, my anticipatory thoughts about when that eight weeks begins for those of us who meet a criterion--or the criteria--of last Friday's announcement on third shots for the immunocompromised).

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2021, 11:21:54 am »
Covid-19 vaccine boosters are officially imminent in the United States for Moderna and Pfizer fully vaccinated folks.

Lede from an August 18, 2021, CNBC (online) news article:

The United States will begin widely distributing Covid-19 booster shots next month as new data shows that vaccine protection wanes over time, top U.S. health officials announced Wednesday.

###

Link to story:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/18/covid-booster-shots-us-to-begin-wide-distribution-of-third-vaccine-doses-next-month.html
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wardp

« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2021, 05:35:21 pm »
I had Az on 2nd of aug in Bangkok slight fever but no problems.2nd dose in 10 week's.hiv is not on list here of underlying conditions. I don't know how Asia will cope with booster jabs etc as they are already struggling with first jabs.i will also keep wearing my masks .a study in Israel showed that doses giving over a short period of pfsifer that the immunity wained compared with longer time ofbetween first and second dose.
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline daveR

« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2021, 08:02:58 pm »
Congratulations on getting on the list. They just started taking bookings here in Pattaya this week. Astrazeneca and Sinovac. Astrazeneca fully booked after the first day. Pfizer was not an option here. A friend of mine who lives in Bangkok gets his first shot of Pfizer today from Bumrungrad hospital.
I think it will be a few weeks before my age group gets called, I would take the Astrazeneca but they can put the Sinovac where the sun doesn't shine.

Dave

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2021, 07:40:12 am »
Called my doctor's office/HIV clinic to schedule an appointment for labs, and routine visit.

So I asked about the 3rd round covid vaccine, and if I could get the shot while I'm there. They told me that I wasn't eligible because my cd4's are over 200. At first I was kinda upset bc I'm worried about how weak my immune system is.. at least that's been the frame of mind I've been in for the past 7 years since my "AIDS" diagnosis. But then it really sunk in and I feel some relief.. I'm just like everybody else.  :)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2021, 04:11:44 pm »
Since I will be eligible for the third dose on November 18th, I decided that I would get my Flu shot, from Walgreens on or about the 1st of September, which is about 50 days or so, sooner than I normally get it. This will give me some time before I get the 3rd dose of Pfizer.

On the Walgreens website it states the following:

"Yes. Your flu shot can be administered alongside your COVID-19 vaccine during the same visit. Talk to your local Walgreens pharmacist if you have questions or concerns about getting the flu shot and COVID-19 vaccine together."

But I think I will space mine out a little bit.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2021, 12:03:59 pm »
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-covid-19-vaccine

“The FDA’s approval of this vaccine is a milestone as we continue to battle the COVID-19 pandemic. While this and other vaccines have met the FDA’s rigorous, scientific standards for emergency use authorization, as the first FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine, the public can be very confident that this vaccine meets the high standards for safety, effectiveness, and manufacturing quality the FDA requires of an approved product,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, M.D. “While millions of people have already safely received COVID-19 vaccines, we recognize that for some, the FDA approval of a vaccine may now instill additional confidence to get vaccinated. Today’s milestone puts us one step closer to altering the course of this pandemic in the U.S.”

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.