Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:33:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 574
Total: 574

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Thread  (Read 120148 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: COVID-19 Thread
« Reply #450 on: March 07, 2022, 12:30:43 pm »
New Mexico man returns home after more than 500 days in hospital with Covid

Must be one hell of a fighter !

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-mexico-man-returns-home-500-days-hospital-due-covid-rcna18898

A New Mexico man has returned home after he spent more than 500 days in the hospital battling Covid-19.

Donnell Hunter finally left Kindred Hospital Albuquerque last week, NBC affiliate KOB reported.

500 days ... Glad he survived, hope he has good insurance to cover the costs.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #451 on: March 07, 2022, 07:14:53 pm »
hope he has good insurance to cover the costs.
unfortunately, here in America, he's probably passed the limit of his insurance (if he had it at all); his family has gone broke from medical bills; they're in debt; and if his family wasn't already "forced" by the hospital 400 days ago to apply for Social Security Disability, federal Medicare, and their state's Medicaid, then he's applying now for those benefits which won't be determined for three more years while he incurs even more unpaid medical debt sinking his family further into debt.

sadly I speak from my own experience and those of many living with HIV/AIDS (I made sure to add the "AIDS" part there because being that sick, along with hospitalization, is usually what not only starts this downward spiral into poverty through our health care system but is also the very reason that we're eventually eligible for federal benefits and help from the Ryan White safety net.

Covid may have the same moral as cancer or AIDS - don't get a possible terminal disease; it can really f-up all levels of your life.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #452 on: April 01, 2022, 09:15:08 am »
Hey all

Sure enough, I got covid, likely via my hockey team, where a good half of the league has it now.

I'm triple vaxxed so I'm not worried. But man o man I want chop my head off this morning.

Others out there living with this?

Cal

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2022, 05:23:21 am »
Sorry to hear about the COVID.

How are you feeling now its been a few days? Better I hope.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #454 on: April 10, 2022, 02:20:40 pm »
Much better now, Jim, thanks. Not nice to have, but mild.

Covid isn't going away, so at least now I know what to expect!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: April 10, 2022, 02:22:26 pm »
 :) Glad to hear you are feeling better.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2022, 04:42:25 pm »

https://www.poz.com/article/majority-people-hiv-asymptomatic-covid

More than half of people living with HIV who acquire SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, have asymptomatic illness, according to study results presented at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2022). This suggests that people with well-controlled HIV have COVID-19 outcomes similar to those of HIV-negative people.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2022, 07:15:40 pm »
Last Monday I got tested positive for Covid, it is Thursday and I am still not feeling the best so my doctor prescribed me Paxlovid the anti-viral.

I am usually a bit scared of new meds and I want to know if any of you has tried it?

POZ since 2000 • On Genvoya

"I can be changed by what happens to me. but I refuse to be reduced by it.”

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: April 21, 2022, 08:22:47 pm »
Last Monday I got tested positive for Covid, it is Thursday and I am still not feeling the best so my doctor prescribed me Paxlovid the anti-viral.

I am usually a bit scared of new meds and I want to know if any of you has tried it?

Hope you feel better soon.

Paxlovid is just nirmatrelvir/ritonavir, what are you scared about?  BTW what HIV meds are you currently taking?Still Truvada & Viramune?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 08:25:31 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
« Reply #459 on: April 21, 2022, 08:23:40 pm »
Genvoya. It says there is a small interaction but nothing serious.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #460 on: April 21, 2022, 08:26:10 pm »
Genvoya. It says there is a small interaction but nothing serious.

Okay cool. Yeah, that's why I was asking.

So what is scaring you about taking Paxlovid?
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline pozzitive

• LOVE heals everything!
« Reply #461 on: April 21, 2022, 09:05:59 pm »
Jim,

First of all, I want to say that you ALWAYS calm down my main stupid worries. I am scared of medication, always have been. Scared of having allergic reactions. I am not sure. Instead, I should be blessed I have access to this...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #462 on: April 22, 2022, 03:51:10 am »
 :)

My two cents, I have allergies to things, and some are serious, so I think I can appreciate the concern. Allergic reactions can happen to just about anything, so the concern is not stupid but prehaps in your mind blown somewhat out of proportion.

See the meds have benefits vs a small risk of this issue even occurring, even if it does odds are it's just a mild reaction that's just a short term inconvenience usually dealt with by simply discontinuing the exposure and sometimes an antihistamine.

I hope this helps but also talk to your healthcare provider about these concerns. I know the study data on this drug combo were good, example https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2118542
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:04:31 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #463 on: August 31, 2022, 12:54:37 pm »
I'm up to day 10 testing reactive on Rat.

Local health regulations only require a 7 day isolation but my workplace requires a negative test before I can return.

No offer of remote work, I'm just burning through leave.
I think it's time I talk to my union.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2022, 08:26:32 pm »
ugh! The plague has come to chez Leatherman

because Lowes allows ignorant redneck republikkans without vaccines living in backwoods South Carolina to go without masks while hacking all over the place spreading germs, Larry got sick last weekend with covid and stayed sick all week. A week later, I finally got sick....thankfully for only about 24 hrs. although, I've been left with intermittent extreme fatigue and a little bit of brain fog. UGH!

Then my mom, who is vacationing at myrtle beach, called to tell me that although she didn't get it when her husband did two months ago, she just tested positive and was sick just like me for about 24 hrs.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #465 on: September 20, 2022, 07:01:07 am »
ugh! The plague has come to chez Leatherman

because Lowes allows ignorant redneck republikkans without vaccines living in backwoods South Carolina to go without masks while hacking all over the place spreading germs, Larry got sick last weekend with covid and stayed sick all week. A week later, I finally got sick....thankfully for only about 24 hrs. although, I've been left with intermittent extreme fatigue and a little bit of brain fog. UGH!

Then my mom, who is vacationing at myrtle beach, called to tell me that although she didn't get it when her husband did two months ago, she just tested positive and was sick just like me for about 24 hrs.

Sorry to hear this, and I hope Larry is feeling better and your fatigue gets better.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #466 on: September 20, 2022, 09:02:19 am »
Sorry to hear this, and I hope Larry is feeling better and your fatigue gets better.
thanks!
Larry had 140 sick hours accrued, so took all of last week off - with pay. woohoo. He's back to work this week and doing pretty good with just a little congestion left. I've got a little congestion still and the brain fog isn't much. the fatigue is weird. A couple of times a day, I'll be fine being active like normal and then it'll just hit me, hard enough to make me sit down and barely be able to hold my head up for 15 mins or so.

but it's all cool. It could have been so much worse....and I've been there, done that before and no thanks. ;) I'm just kind of annoyed that after so long and with so many precautions (Larry still wears a mask at work and I do when I go out... well except for planet fitness and out for mexican and margaritas twice a month), that we ended up infected. But looking at the bright side, I'm glad it happened now after a lot of vaccinations and time for the virus strains to weaken.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #467 on: September 20, 2022, 11:35:04 am »
thanks!
Larry had 140 sick hours accrued, so took all of last week off - with pay. woohoo. He's back to work this week and doing pretty good with just a little congestion left. I've got a little congestion still and the brain fog isn't much. the fatigue is weird. A couple of times a day, I'll be fine being active like normal and then it'll just hit me, hard enough to make me sit down and barely be able to hold my head up for 15 mins or so.

but it's all cool. It could have been so much worse....and I've been there, done that before and no thanks. ;) I'm just kind of annoyed that after so long and with so many precautions (Larry still wears a mask at work and I do when I go out... well except for planet fitness and out for mexican and margaritas twice a month), that we ended up infected. But looking at the bright side, I'm glad it happened now after a lot of vaccinations and time for the virus strains to weaken.

Glad to hear Larry is feeling better and the fatigue sounds odd but hopefully it will pass soon.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2022, 12:07:30 pm »
Glad to hear Larry is feeling better
me too.....so he could go back to work. LOL
He was really cramping my style all week at home. His crunching ice was getting on my last nerve (misophonia is real) and he watched so many Hallmark movies. So, so many!  :o ::) With his love of sappy movies, football, and country music, it's amazing I ever fell in love with him.  ;D ;D :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #469 on: October 12, 2022, 07:37:55 pm »

Ed and I both tested positive for Covid on Monday afternoon, with a home test kit.

We both thought we had seasonal allergies going on. The Oak trees are doing their thing right now. We've been sleeping with the windows open and fans on, because the nights have been wonderful. Been going on for at least 5 days, prior to testing.

No problem with loss of taste or smell. our energy levels are still good, Appetites are great. neither of us have shortness of breath. But we both have some head stuffiness, and very minor intermittent coughs, and sneezing.

Anyway I decided to test, and sure enough both of us are positive for covid.

I private messaged my doctor at the VA, on Monday, and they are sending me:

1. ALBUTEROL 90MCG (CFC-F) 200D ORAL INHL

**INHALE 2 PUFFS BY MOUTH FOUR TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR BREATHING - SHAKE WELL

2.BENZONATATE 100MG CAP

**TAKE ONE CAPSULE BY MOUTH THREE TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR COUGH. (SWALLOW CAPSULE WHOLE. DO NOT CRUSH, CHEW OR DISSOLVE IN MOUTH)

3.GUAIFENESIN 400MG TAB

**TAKE ONE TABLET BY MOUTH THREE TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR CONGESTION

4.METHYLPREDNISOLONE 4MG TAB DOSEPAK,21
   ** TAKE TABLET(S) BY MOUTH DAILY WITH FOOD FOLLOWING ENCLOSED PACKAGE INSTRUCTIONS - FOR COVID INFECTION - (DO *NOT* TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH).

I have a feeling these medications might be protocol for the VA, to send their patients, if they tested positive. Also, they may have noticed that I had pneumonia May 26th, and are sending some of these as a precautionary measure.

Otherwise,.... We are both doing pretty good.  The medications from the VA, have not arrived yet, possibly tomorrow or Friday.

I just had my flu shot and another Covid shot on the October 6th. I may have already been infected when I received these vaccines.  ::)

Ray and ED  ( Hanging in there)

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2022, 07:46:52 pm »
Forgot to mention , we are both isolating for 5 days, but I did get out today and bought 2 more test kits of 2 tests each.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #471 on: October 17, 2022, 04:40:38 pm »
 :)

It's been 7 days since we both tested positive for COVID.  We just retested, with our home kit,... and we both tested negative ! We both had a pretty good go of this, mostly sinuses than anything. Never any fevers.

But we are both doing great !

Ray  8)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #472 on: November 10, 2022, 02:40:18 pm »
Changing this thread from a "sticky" topic to a regular thread at this stage.

Also, I will not be updating or merging topics here about COVID anymore. COVID will be with us for a while, years and years, I think, but it's not a panic topic anymore. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #473 on: December 10, 2022, 05:59:34 am »
Ray et others -  thanks for your replies on the other thread.  Replying back via the correct thread now. 

Well - i am now well enough to write a follow-up post although cant say ill be coherent!

Despite what my doc said and others here,  i always feared dealing with covid before my immunity improved.  Last CD4was 120 in September (up from May nadir of 9)  and although i had 4 pfizer shots - the last was in June.  Id previously tested for antibody levels after one shot and before the next to learn they drop to below thresholds (in me) after only 4 months.   

I knew it was just a matter of time no matter how cautious i could be (and we are always masking).  Entire household got it.  But non worse than I.  What started as a scratchy throat and stayed that way for half the first day (was hopeful i would be a lucky mostly asymptomatic person)  rapidly declined over an hour or two into muscle aches,  pains, uncontrolled shivers them, fever for 3 days (topping at 39.5) and culminating in a throat so soar it was a painful effort to swallow my own saliva.

Fortunately i rat tested my throat at first symptom emergence   for a positive coiv result (nasal was negative) and called my doc.  He quickly packaged up a box of paxlovid,  cough syrups,  and Magisec which is a combined panodal ibuprofin pill that worked great.  They say 1+1=3 on magisec.  I had my own mix if things to ensure i could get a full nights sleep and pretty much stayed in bed for 3 days. And didnt stop hydrating!  Water,  water,  water. Sometimes hot. sometimes cold sometimes fizzy,  sometime not. 

How do I  know if the paxlovid worked?  I really dont know.  What i do know is i woudlnt have wanted to experience without it.  Although everyone else in the household had a milder course  i cleared it faster (negative on 4th day after first symptoms).  I must admit i was indeed scared and being so is really is not helpful. Not at all.  but what can i do?    Coming to terms with an HIv diagnosis at 60 and having covid a few months later -  i was just worried the soar throat was going to go septic, or something else was going to knock me down again.  The Xray of My lungs in may looked exactly like a patient with covid induced pneumonia with that “broken glass” appearance.  Could i keep this out of my lungs?  Went through all the mental challenges i went through in may.  What have i done to myself,  what have i done to my family.  Blah blah blah torturing myself.  And yes i can recognize when im getting depressed and i was.    I allow a certain time for it, wollowing in my own self pity i guess, but usually  at some point of diminishing returns on those thought patterns i stop looking inward and go outward.     

Throughout  i Kept monitoring blood pressure,  HR and and in particular O2  Although O2 did drop to the lowest ive seen it (92%) it would go back above 96 after a few minutes of walking around and i was never short of breath or coughing so wasnt too concerned about lungs .   The particular point of attack on me was my throat - with terrible pain and yellow gobby phlegm. 

Well -  retired very early last night.  after a slow consumption of warm broth, was lethargically  limp, muscly soar and with a clammy sweat - even though it was my first negative rat test day i was thinking perhaps ive got a secondary infection now.   Knocked myself out for the night.   overnight  someone must have waived a magic wand over me because in the morning i was fine.   No soar throat (how did that dissapear?)  no more fever,   no need for fever meds,  and a good strong negative nasal and throat RAT.

Knock on wood but i seem to have survived Covid with HIV.   :) :)  Im sooo happy! And stepping  forward into the future with more confident steps!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.