Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:44:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 389
Total: 391

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ~  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Eldon

~
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:55:50 am »
Hello Everyone,

As it is in my nature as well as the others on this forum, i would like to share this bit of information with you for additional ENCOURAGEMENT.

Should you decide to ADD to the list, by all means please DO post with your comments as well. Please leave the negative out as this thread is of a positve nature.

How to be Happy

•Unhappiness may be due to a specific circumstance in your life, but the feeling is all encompassing.

•It is hard to feel happy about some things and unhappy about others at the same time.

•Small things can tip the scales to make us feel happy or unhappy.

•We all have happy an unhappy moods – feelings that do not last long.

•Often we shift from unhappy to happy just with the passage of time.

•Or something happens to tip the balance towards a happy mood.

•Something as simple as warm sunshine on a cool day or a refreshing breeze on a hot day.

•But what if you are unhappy most of the time?

•What can you DO to shift yourself to a happier mood?

•Unhappy people may have real problems with relationships, career, finances, etc.

•Changing your circumstances might make you happier but this may not be very easy.

What else can you DO?

•Try to avoid dwelling on what makes you unhappy – but thinking alone won’t get you far.

•It helps to be active – doing what makes you happy and taking more pleasure in them.

•Even physical exercise can shift your brain chemistry towards a happier state. It’s all about getting out of yourself.

•Try to take a different perspective on your life as a whole.

•Imagine that you just arrived at you dream holiday destination.

•Would you let the fact that your holiday has to end spoil your holiday?

•What about mishaps and setbacks – short of being killed, seriously injured or mugged?

•Would you not strive to enjoy your dream holiday in spite of minor mishaps?

•Or would you waste your whole holiday feeling sorry for yourself?

•If you thought of your life as a dream holiday, would you not seek to make more of it?

•Why should you regard your life as the holiday of a lifetime?

•But can you imagine the great things you would have missed if you have never been born?

•Just being born is like winning the holiday of a lifetime.

•You can view your life however you want. It’s your choice.

•But if you have a negative attitude towards your life or circumstances, ask yourself if it isn’t your self esteem that’s a problem rather than your external circumstances.

•It is easy to be defensive by dumping bad feelings on convenient external scapegoats.

•Constantly criticizing everything around us helps us feel better about ourselves,

•But this way of eliminating unhappy feelings is no better than abusing substances.

So, becoming happier requires being active, changing what we can change, accepting what we cannot change, trying not to blame others or circumstances for our misfortunes, valuing what we have and developing a more positive attitude to our lives.

Make the BEST of each Day!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:22:57 pm by Eldon »

Offline Jeffreyj

Re: Tips On Happiness
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:27:34 am »
Thank you very much Eldon. Great stuff in here. FUN IS ALLOWED!
Positive since 1985

Offline cph9680

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 03:08:05 am »
Thanks for sharing, Eldon!  I see a few things on there that I could definitely stand to work on

CH

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:14:04 am »
  • When you are feeling needy, give to others. Giving will come back to you in time.

• Like unhappiness, joy is a choice you make.

• Love is not a feeling; it's an action.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Christine

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 10:04:50 am »
Thank you Eldon!!

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 10:08:33 am »
Thanks Eldon,

I really needed this post!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 02:51:28 pm »
Thanks for bringing the happy back to me today!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 03:35:35 pm »
Should you decide to ADD to the list, by all means please DO post with your comments as well.

:)  :-*  :)  :-*  :)  Eldon - you knew it was only a matter of time before i said the A word - aromatherapy oils! - they go right to the brain!  8)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 06:29:28 pm »
Hi Alex - NYC,

Aromatherapy: aro·ma·ther·a·py - noun - The use of volatile plant oils, including essential oils, for psychological and physical well-being.

A very good suggestion to ADD to the list.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 06:43:18 pm »
  • Without unhappiness, there could be no happiness!

Let's just hope that the balance is toward the latter.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 11:52:28 pm »
Actually Wellington, it is within YOU who control that balance.

If YOU should decide to be unhappy then that is the result you will get.

If YOU choose to be happy, then this is the result you will get.

True enough there are some circumstances that we cannot control. However, the decision resides within YOU on how YOU would choose to deal with the circumstance. A circumstance is merely a fork in the road of life and YOU choose the direction in which YOU will travel.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 09:11:08 am »
What I was getting at is that happiness is amplified when we have unhappy times.  It's not about control, for me; it's more about permission - to express a healthy range of emotion.  I just can't be June Cleaver every freaking day!  ;D

Offline Mattinsrq

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 04:21:04 pm »
it always makes me nervous when someone tries to verbalize evoking an emotion, and then gives advice to others.  A range of emotions is  what I strive for and I try to do that in as heathly a way as possible.  I try not to pretend my feelings don't matter by trying to diduse them through some deverionary outlet like sniffing oils or spending 5 hours on a tread mill.   For me, happiness comes from balance.   oh.. and sex

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.