Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:14:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773494
  • Total Topics: 66375
  • Online Today: 408
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 301
Total: 302

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 10 Simple Ways to Fight HIV Every Day  (Read 7162 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
10 Simple Ways to Fight HIV Every Day
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:31:42 pm »
Well 7 out of 10 not too bad.
The political thing does not do it for me, i should be more interested but I just can't.

https://www.poz.com/article/10-simple-ways-fight-hiv-every-day
Also see  https://www.poz.com/tag/Advocacy for more information.

You, too, can be an advocate. Here’s how.

1. Get Political

Speaking out against injustices is as important as ever, and joining a network of people living with HIV is an effective way to do so. Such groups can help focus your HIV advocacy and link you to powerful people in your community, which will give your words more weight.

2. Know Your Rights

To self-advocate, know your rights so you can take action against those who discriminate. Under a wide array of laws—including the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act and the Affordable Care Act—the rights of people living with HIV extend to housing, medical care, public facilities, education, transportation and more.

3. Reach Out

In addition to joining a national network, consider assisting local HIV organizations. You could volunteer once a month or become employed full-time—whatever works for you. And you can connect in many different ways, such as conducting HIV tests, doing community outreach or lending emotional support to people living with HIV.

4. Be a Mentor

Consider joining a support group or becoming a one-on-one mentor. Helping the newly diagnosed to access health insurance, join clinical trials and secure housing or other supportive services can help them live better with HIV.

5. Raise Money

Donating to HIV-related causes is also a form of advocacy. It can be anonymous, it’s tax-deductible and it may take only minutes of your time. Strapped for cash? You can also help raise money in more grassroots ways, like coordinating parties, bake sales or other fundraising events.

6. Speak Up

Speaking out about HIV with your family, friends and other trusted people in your social circle isn’t just a good way to find support—it’s also a way to put a face to the epidemic and educate your loved ones about living with HIV today. You can also speak out on social media.

7. Shop Smarter

Put your money where your mouth is. There are many opportunities to fight HIV through your fashion and gift choices. Buying merchandise from HIV organizations helps not only to raise money but also to bring awareness to the epidemic. Whether in the form of a simple red ribbon or a “Silence = Death” pin, wear your support.

8. Get Educated

Getting educated about HIV is often the first step toward HIV advocacy. Knowing facts about the virus and treatment can help you make better decisions about your own care and well-being. It will also empower you to help others more effectively. To get the care you and others deserve, knowledge about HIV is key.

9. Get Tested (or Take a Friend)

Knowing your HIV status, whether negative or positive, puts you in the best position to protect your health and the health of your sexual partners. If you’re HIV negative, make an HIV test a part of your regular checkups. If you’re living with HIV, talk to your friends and colleagues about why getting an HIV test is so important.

10. Disclose Your Status

Sharing your HIV status, whatever it is, isn’t always easy, but doing so helps to normalize disclosure, which in turn fights stigma. Whether you’re HIV positive or you’re HIV negative, we’re all in this fight against the virus together.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Re: 10 Simple Ways to Fight HIV Every Day
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 02:09:12 pm »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kentfrat1783

• Instagram: kentfrat1783
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:26:33 pm »
All very good ideas.

I do want to get involved in a support group, get a mentor before I'm a mentor, learning about my rights, but #10 is the hardest one for me. 

I think once I can tell a few of my close friends about it that will help me a lot but I'm afraid of the stigma.  Don't hate me please.  The one person I want to tell I'm sure won't care.  She has told me a lot about her son committing suicide and I go on annual walks for awareness with her.  She is working on breaking down the stigma on that and I'm sure she would be more then happy to help me, with at least being a support. 

I never did think about the "Buy smarter" part.  That one I will have to look into. 
Date - CD4 - Percent - VL
08/23/23 - 366 - 26%
06/20/23 - 349 - 21% - UD
04/15/23 - 229 - 19% - <20
11/14/22 - 486 - 24% - 73
10/12/22 - 316 - 19% - <20
06/20/22 - 292 - 21% - <20
01/25/22 - 321 - 22% - <20
09/22/21 - 278 - 19% - <20
02/02/21 - 225 - 19% - <20
06/08/20 - 257 - 20% - <20
03/17/20 - 285 - 19% - 101 (2.00)
12/17/19 - 290 - 20% - <20
09/17/19 - 218 - 16%
06/18/19 - 173 - 16% - <20
03/13/19 - 170 - 16% - <20
January 2019 - Started Triumeq
12/05/08 - 174 - 18% - <20
08/28/18 - 166 - 15% - <20
05/08/18 - 106 - 11% - <20
03/05/18 -   90 - 10% - <20
12/11/17 -   60 -   8%
09/07/17 -   42 -   6% - 54 (1.70)
May 2017 - Started Atripla
05/11/17 -    2 -    1% - 169,969 (5.23)
OI's: PCP
Dx`d May 11, 2017

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:42:13 am »
I had a look through that list and just kept running into barriers all over the place.

1 joining a network of people living with HIV is an effective way to do so... my local PLWHA group maintains that HIV stigma is generated internally and societal stigma is not a significant issue. I'm not really sure they are advocating for me.

2 I know my rights. and where to get pro bono legal aid around HIV issues.

3 I did volunteer for a while and even undertook training to be a peer educator, but the only role found for me was back office with no contact with other PLWHAS.

4 mentoring roles are only available to PLWHAs with 'relevant degree level
' qualifications.

5 I've helped with and will again.

6 i did a public speaking course with my local PLWHA organisation but was never called upon to speak publically

7 Shop smarter... I'd rather consume less.

9, 9, 10 Education, testing and disclosure are ongoing.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:59:55 am »
Its not for everyone ill give you that.

Yeah, I have had similar experiences on that one. My thoughts were their lives must just be peachy  ;D  Join a different group was my solution or you could even support a good one from afar online.

Mentoring can also be in an unofficial capacity, or people you can train upwards if its a real passion.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Put your money where your mouth is
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:52:01 pm »
Well after giving this some thought I decided to organize a fundraiser at work for HIV and the money raised with go to the local NGO.

So I can check number 5 off the list.

See the company I work for does host onsite for charity events so I emailed the organizers asking for the time and space to host a bake sale event in the office (Small office 400 people) and an information session to raise awareness surrounding HIV that will than finish with me speaking/presenting to the employees on the topic of living with HIV and HIV related stigma.

Its going to be the 5th of April so wish me luck.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:18:21 pm »
Good for you!  Best wishes and much luck for a successful and informative event. ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:27:42 pm »
Thanks  ;)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:42:39 pm »
Now I suddenly realized I am going to have to think about what I want to say and what is the message :-\ ...

I might go with how medically manageable HIV is today with treatment but how stigma has impacted me and remains an issue for people living with HIV and how speaking out is about breaking down that stigma.

Thankfully I will not have to go searching for Irish data on HIV stigma as HIV Ireland did produced some key data recently, so might use that as some of the data/reference points. 

"Knowledge and Attitudes towards HIV in Ireland and People Living with HIV Survey"
http://www.hivireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/Full-Report-HIV-Stigma-2nd-October-2017.pdf

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Put your money where your mouth is
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 03:25:56 pm »
Its going to be the 5th of April so wish me luck.
awesome idea and best wishes for a great fundraiser!! :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 03:27:04 pm »
Thanks, appreciate it  :)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 06:44:41 pm »
Wow, I'm impressed Jim. That is an excellent contribution and takes some balls too.

I am firmly of the 'non-disclosure' position personally (and am completely at peace with that position) and can't see that changing for a myriad of reasons, so I do admire those that are open about their status. In some ways, it is an illustration of how good the treatment is nowadays that non-disclosure is a viable long term option given that people can live pretty much normal lives now. The flip-side to that is that is does make the condition more invisible to the public.

If more people did disclose openly who were clearly fit and well then it would certainly help drive down stigma. Unfortunately, whilst stigma does exist, many people (like me) choose not to disclose at all. Very much a chicken and egg thing!

But I'd be very keen to hear how it all goes Jim
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.