Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla day 11 and starting rash  (Read 6052 times)

Offline bobsmth

Atripla day 11 and starting rash
« on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »
I understand that most people that get the rash are able to work thru it and stay on Atripla. Any comments would be appreciated.
Bobsmth
Bobsmth

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Re: Atripla day 11 and starting rash
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:06:54 pm »
Why do people still take Atripla with new drugs out there like Complera and Stribild?  They have been shown to be just as effective if not more effective, and don't have the bad side effects.

Curious as to why you chose Atripla?
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »
Rash usually last a day or two, if it hasn't already disappeared its prob just a day away.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:28:39 pm »
Why do people still take Atripla with new drugs out there like Complera and Stribild?  They have been shown to be just as effective if not more effective, and don't have the bad side effects.

And why are you so anti- Atripla?  You do know that both Complera and Stribild only recently came out (in 2011 and 2012, respectively) and maybe not everyone's insurance plan covers them? 

Not everyone suffers horribly from taking Sustiva as you seem to think, as you're directing people away from Atripla based upon either your own personal experience, which doesn't apply to the population at large -- or things you've read. You do know that these treatments are NOT a one-size-fits-ALL deal and not everyone experiences the same results and/or side effects, just like any other medication?
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »

Not everyone suffers horribly from taking Sustiva as you seem to think, as you're directing people away from Atripla based upon either your own personal experience,

It certainly isn't personal experience, he was only diagnosed on October 10th of this year. (See his "personal statement" under his username.)

Windy, as Solo points out, many people have NO problem with Atripla (or Sustiva). However, in addition to the fact that many people cannot yet get insurance for the newer meds (or they're not even offered yet in countries where hiv care is free), they're new and we don't really know all that much about possible side-effects yet.

I've had a LOT more time to think about what my initial treatment would be than you've had so far (over ten years as opposed to just over seven weeks) and while I decided to not go with anything containing Sustiva, I did go with an older, more established combo that has been shown through many people's experiences (certainly more than the two combos you seem to be championing) to be very tolerable for the vast majority. (Prezista, Norvir and Truvada)

Windy, I'm not being mean, but it would behoove you to sit back and learn more before you start making statements about that which you don't really know much about. OK? Thanks.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bobsmth

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »
Hey thanks for replying, The Atripla was the ID Dr's. idea because of my poor numbers CD4 206 and viral load at 59,000. Might be me cause I couldn't stay on Bactrim because of the rash, tho this rash is much milder than the Bactrim one so far anyway.
Bobsmth

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 10:26:23 pm »
It certainly isn't personal experience, he was only diagnosed on October 10th of this year. (See his "personal statement" under his username.)

Windy, as Solo points out, many people have NO problem with Atripla (or Sustiva). However, in addition to the fact that many people cannot yet get insurance for the newer meds (or they're not even offered yet in countries where hiv care is free), they're new and we don't really know all that much about possible side-effects yet.

I've had a LOT more time to think about what my initial treatment would be than you've had so far (over ten years as opposed to just over seven weeks) and while I decided to not go with anything containing Sustiva, I did go with an older, more established combo that has been shown through many people's experiences (certainly more than the two combos you seem to be championing) to be very tolerable for the vast majority. (Prezista, Norvir and Truvada)

Windy, I'm not being mean, but it would behoove you to sit back and learn more before you start making statements about that which you don't really know much about. OK? Thanks.

Since you completely misunderstood what I was trying to say, I'll break it down for someone who has been around so long maybe their thought process is a bit cloudy since you know so much.

What is the one common complaint you see about people on Atripla?  The side effects.  It seems like people may not do their research thoroughly enough and the default option always seems to be Atripla.  Even you seemed to have some reason to stay away from the Sustiva back in your day, and went with a different option.  You did your research.  When I first started reading up, I too thought that Atripla was my only option, until I continued reading.  My choice was confirmed when my doctor recommended I stay away from it for any possible side effects.

Granted not everyone experiences the side effects, and for them, that's great they have found a good treatment that works for them.  For someone like the OP, I just hope he knows there are options out there.

In 10 years, will doctors look back at Atripla and shake their head that it was once the preferred treatment?  Over the past 30 or so years, there have been several of those treatments that are now looked upon that way (AZT anyone).  The reason I stayed away from Atripla was because of the possible side effects, I have zero clue if I would have even reacted badly to it.  But by being able to choose a newer, safer treatment, I was able to avoid the what if's.

Finally, while you may have been around much longer, your condescending tone on here from time to time makes you sound more like someone to ignore.  Just because you're good a reading stuff on the internet doesn't make you an expert, and neither does it most of us.  You'd be better off helping when you can instead of making yourself feel good for being around so long.

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 10:30:10 pm »
And why are you so anti- Atripla?  You do know that both Complera and Stribild only recently came out (in 2011 and 2012, respectively) and maybe not everyone's insurance plan covers them? 

Not everyone suffers horribly from taking Sustiva as you seem to think, as you're directing people away from Atripla based upon either your own personal experience, which doesn't apply to the population at large -- or things you've read. You do know that these treatments are NOT a one-size-fits-ALL deal and not everyone experiences the same results and/or side effects, just like any other medication?

What people choose to take is their own decision, I was just curious as to why the OP chose it, and as he confirmed it was his doctors recommendation, not his.  Since he is having the side effects, maybe it's good that he discover there are other options that will get rid of those side effects, and if he is able, maybe he can switch.

If someone is taking Atripla and it's working for them and they are happy, then keep on trucking!  For this guy, I'm guessing he wouldn't mind getting rid of the rash.

If anything he now has something to investigate and see if it will work for him.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:37:56 am »
Windy - sassing the moderator being the sign of a shrewd operator, we're all awaiting your further pearls of wisdom...  :o

(Is it drafty in here? I feel a draft.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:39:50 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:06:34 pm »
Oh, Windy's been like that ever since he first showed up. Completely not shocking.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:09 pm »

Finally, while you may have been around much longer, your condescending tone on here from time to time makes you sound more like someone to ignore.  Just because you're good a reading stuff on the internet doesn't make you an expert, and neither does it most of us.  You'd be better off helping when you can instead of making yourself feel good for being around so long.

OK Sorry but I'm not about to sit and read rubbish like this and not say anything...Ann won't respond because she is a bigger and better person than I am.

Firstly, ignore Ann and you will find yourself in trouble, Ann has all  the information that will help all those here to get through some very troubling times, seriously, if you have a problem Ann is the one to turn to, I know this first hand.

Secondly, Ann is an expert on HIV that is why she is here and has been since this site started...and it's time you showed some respect for those who really do know more than you, there was no need to respond in the manner you did.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:14 pm »

I had a horrific experience with Atripla, and combined with recent studies that suggest neuron damage (which might have added to other mental junk that I've had - and apparently it's manageable but not reversible) I understand the question.

Perhaps in a few years it, like other meds, it's formulation will change or it will be supplanted by other drugs that can penetrate the blood-brain barrier only without the CNS impact that it has - and I strongly suspect my experience is not nearly as uncommon as statistics have thus far indicated. It's always tough to tell whether a drug is causing suicidal ideation or whether the shock of testing positive or the "reality" of initiating meds causes a heretofore undiagnosed (or dormant) depression to arise.

It's not an evil drug by any means. I just think, and if the history of HIV medication is any indication, we can and eventually will do better.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »

Um, Ann is well versed in reading "internet" things like scientific journals, which are available online. I believe she even subscribes to several first run journals as well. Trust me, she is not a lightweight when it comes to understanding the virus she has had for over a decade.

Ann, like Newt, Matty, and others, ARE HIV EXPERTS. I cannot stress that enough. You ignore them at your peril. As a matter of fact. Ann has helped draft several sections of this site's LESSONS, along with others.

And as far as changing a med because of a rash, with certain obvious exceptions (Ziagen) most rashes can be worked through and fade over time with prescription and/or OTC drugs. Changing a life-saving medication because of a temporary cosmetic issue seems a wonderful new luxury here in the world of AIDS 2.0

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 07:25:45 pm »

Changing a life-saving medication because of a temporary cosmetic issue seems a wonderful new luxury here in the world of AIDS 2.0

^^This should be posted in every single doctor's office for all those Vanity Sixers out there who want to change regimens because they noticed their eyes are jaundiced after having been on Reyataz for 36 minutes  ::) 

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I wonder what some of the newly diagnosed would do if they had to contend with side-effects from some of the meds that many of us here took in the past? I know I'd take a rash any day over being fearful that I'd shit my pants at any second (which I did on a few occasions at work) and then just accepting that it was better than the alternative of being in the ground.  Shitty tight whities or dead?  Hmmmm.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline jimbalaya

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:01:56 pm »
^^This should be posted in every single doctor's office for all those Vanity Sixers out there who want to change regimens because they noticed their eyes are jaundiced after having been on Reyataz for 36 minutes  ::) 

I absolutely agree with you that there are far worse side effects than jaundicing issues.  If the comment was in any way directed at me (since you made remarks to me in the past about changing my meds) there is a huge difference between 36 minutes, and staying on Truvada/Reyatz/Norvir for four months, and still having a bilirubin level around 10.  When I work with the public having people ask me EVERY DAY for four months why my eyes are yellow, it becomes a little bit more than cosmetic, it starts to become emotional/mentally draining.   After being on Epzicom and Reyatz for two days the jaundice went away, and my viral load has dropped even further, so for me it was worth the switch.  I'm all for sticking it out, and hoping that those 'minor' side effects will pass, but with me they didn't, so I switched and my quality of life has improved greatly in the last month.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.