Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:41:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 200
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is the pop disc of the summer out yet?  (Read 9570 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Is the pop disc of the summer out yet?
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:53:01 pm »
Yeah I don't mean the song, or hits, of the summer.  I mean an entire disc that satisfies. And summery.

Im starting to get worried I'll have to make do with Femme Fatale.  That would be fatale, weird good dance record that it is.  

Fleet Foxes, Panda Bear, Adele, Kate Bush, Danger Mouse, tUnE-yArDs, Pharoache Monch, Beastie Boys, Lykke Li, Marianne Faithful (never in the running of course)  -- can't make it through any one as a whole disc -- thinking OK, even this iffy track is OK considering how good the others are...

Have you got a NEW one that you like all the way through?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Is the pop disc of the summer out yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »
I like all the songs on Panic At The Disco's "Vices & Virtues".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xDf-_8KvGM

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:08:24 pm »
Wow, super cute and young and fresh. I'll have to check this out tomorrow!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »
It's not summer yet, so how can one answer this thread? If you can answer then it's likely the "pop disc of the Spring"...
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:48:43 pm »
So far this year has been rather underwhelming when it comes to music releases.  I love the album by Adele, but I'm afraid it's going to suffer from too much exposure. 

Looking forward to new releases from the Peppers, Bon Iver, (supposedly) Fiona Apple, and Beck later this year.  Other than that I can't think of anything too interesting.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:57:00 pm »
So far this year has been rather underwhelming when it comes to music releases.  I love the album by Adele, but I'm afraid it's going to suffer from too much exposure. 

Looking forward to new releases from the Peppers, Bon Iver, (supposedly) Fiona Apple, and Beck later this year.  Other than that I can't think of anything too interesting.

Guess you slept on the new Kate Bush that came out last Monday :(

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:41:58 am »
Guess you slept on the new Kate Bush that came out last Monday :(

No, I didn't. But I must be honest... I'm not totally crazy about it.  I love The Sensual World to pieces, and The Red Shoes was also a great album.  These re-takes on material that defined my early years as a queer seem unnecessary for some reason. Maybe it will grow on me.  As it was, it took several plays before I finally got to truly appreciate Aerial.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 12:55:44 am »
The Dreaming is her best work, and least accessible. If you don't own it you're a big pile of FAIL.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 01:00:58 am »
'Course I own it.  I have errthing she released, including several singles.  It was my love for Kate that eventually turned me into a huge fan of Tori Amos when her first solo album came out back in '92.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 01:01:28 am »
Other than that I can't think of anything too interesting.
jun 1 - blondie - panic of girls
jun 6 - sophie ellis-bextor - make a scene
jun 20 - patrick wolf - Lupercalia

ps tori is da bomb
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 01:08:00 am »

LOVED her third album.  She knows what good pop-dance is all about.

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:46 am »
It's not summer yet, so how can one answer this thread? If you can answer then it's likely the "pop disc of the Spring"...
School is out dearie and there's heat wave / draught in these parts, all spring.  Seems like summer.

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 05:36:46 am »
jun 1 - blondie - panic of girls
jun 20 - patrick wolf - Lupercalia

ps tori is da bomb

Good list!  But Blondie, hmm, so ooooooooooold.  Debbie Harry "must be 70" for crissakes.  :o ;D :o :(   Can they will pull off relevancy?  Patrick Wolf - I had a brief infatuation for him, he reminds me so much of arty boyfriend from way back in college.  But I foisted Wolf on friends and dinner parties and nobody was into it. at all. Everyone was too old for that sort of thing.

Hmm lets see: tori amos, kate bush, patrick wolf.  Not sure an artsy fartsy disc/artist is going to be THE summer listen. But Vespertine by Bjork did it.  She usually releases May-September and that disc came out while I was traveling in late summer around hot climates.  It had super HD sound, and was trippy and beautiful.

My favorite disc last summer was Groove Armada Black Light - which yes, Miss P, came out in January.

The disc doesn't have to be released in summer, just newish and a good soundtrack for summer.  

2009. PSB Yes/Yes,etc. (wish it had been Yoko Ono's Between the Head.. but it came out too late. talk about an dinosaurs though...)
2008. kind of a blur.  Erykah Badu - New Amerykah, which was definitely an after-midnight affair.  
(Honorable mentions B52s Funplex, late summer Lady Gagas The Fame)
2007. Calvin Harris - I Created Disco

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 06:10:10 am »
Tom Tom Club excelllant fall back.
Ms D. Harry & Mr C. Stien will forever have "relevence"

original? have no idea
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 06:18:47 am »
Tom Tom Club very summery but is there anything new??

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:21 am »
I purchased Priscilla Queen of the desert broadway recording and I can't stop listening to it.  Love every track!
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 10:39:28 am »
Debbie Harry "must be 70" for crissakes. 

She's 65 (b. July 1, 1945) for crissakes. :o She's barely eleven months older than Cher (b. May 20, 1946).
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 10:43:06 am »
Nothing like pushing 50 and still chasing twinks in sex clubs, then mocking someone else for being 65 and still recording music.

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 11:33:30 am »
It was a freaking JOKE miss P, thus the quotes.  And I just said how I love Cher in the other thread. 
And I don't chase twinks.   So many fails, alas.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 12:22:45 pm »
If you don't own it you're a big pile of FAIL.

Buying entire records/CDs is so 1812.  It's all about the 12"... single, that is   ;)
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline mecch

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 02:37:17 pm »
Buying entire records/CDs is so 1812.  It's all about the 12"... single, that is   ;)

So not true!  Many bands actually try to make discs, "records".  

The point of this challenge is, what are the new LPs that you'll listen to all way through, with pleasure, many times, this summer.  Wait and see.

I've got some good suggestions so I thank you all.

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:23:38 pm »
Kid Rock, and Nickelback.   Gotta love them bad boys.
 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 06:11:31 pm »
Update:

Well, its almost JULY and one disc hasn't risen to the top for me, yet.

This is the track list I like:

Hair - I like this for its teeny bopper philosophy. Its really witty as a tune, and touching to me as an adult to think about teenage angst and this being an anthem.
Her voice on the bridge is UNCANNILY produced. Its Dolly Parton and every current teen sensation combined.
Plus, it's a stomper (which I like when well done) and quite the anthem.

Bloody Mary - pretty good.  Dark carnival.

Government Hooker - Dark again, always descending progressions.  

Americano - didn't like this but coming around to it, finally.  Well done. Very outdoor disco.

Bad Kids - I like the bridge (Madonna-y) but dont love the verse or refrain.  Listenable.

Heavy Metal Lover - still like but still feel it goes nowhere. Waiting for even heavier remixes.

Scheiße . best disco tune.  Shockingly good.

Electric Chapel - listenable

So altogether half a disc of good music. Not bad!

Playlist:  Can't Fight This Feeling, Under Your Touch, Magic, Revolution  4 great scorchers!

Not Giving Up on Love - pretty, but generic.  

Iffy:  Heartbreak (just too too Eurodisco for me), Homewrecker - should be harder and bitchier.  Crappy refrain. Lil Kim could remake this, Missy Elliot. Maybe Shirley Bassey.  Dial my Number.  These three seem too generic and Kylie Minogue without the sparkle.

Recent releases in rotation:

Kraak & Smaak - Electric Hustle
Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
Wild Beasts - Smother
Pharoahe Monch W.A.R.

these are a bit too arty or moody to be the summer disk.

This one is promising:
She Wants Revenge - Valleyheart

But could I, disco die hard, fall for an indie band??  Rather listen to classic rock me thinks.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:13:23 pm by mecch »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 06:39:53 pm »
Speaking of Gaga, I was surprised to read that she is $3 million in debt even after her tour grossed $220 million.

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/executivesuite/downtime/8255129/lady-gagas-tour-sends-her-broke

Despite the tour grossing over US$220 million, the pop singer said her habit of redesigning her show sent her bankrupt after extending her world tour, the Financial Times reported.

Gaga admitted the debt she had acquired came as a shock, but said she had been happy to put all her own money into the show.
“I remember I called everybody and said, ‘Why is everyone saying I have no money? This is ridiculous, I have five number one singles’. And they said, ‘Well you're $3m in debt’," the pop starlet said. “It’s honestly true that money means nothing to me. The only big things I’ve purchased are my dad’s heart valve and a Rolls-Royce for my parents, for their anniversary. And that was only because my dad had a Lady Gaga licence plate on our old car and it was making me crazy because he was getting followed everywhere, so I bought him a new car.
“Other than that I put everything in the show, and I actually went bankrupt after the first extension of The Monster Ball.”
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:41:39 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 07:04:34 am »
Maybe its time for that Vegas gig already!  Build the set once. Buy all the costumes, and I think the star only performs 30-40 minutes, with lots of dancers and video montages as filler. Money in the bank.

Offline lost_boy

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »
Okay, it came out two years ago, but Wild Beast's "Two Dancers" is my summer album. Love it, first three tracks especially. Check it out, see what you guys think.

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »
And how on earth can Gaga be broke. Or is it just her tour production company has some debts to pay?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 12:45:31 am »
Okay, it came out two years ago,
hmmm. let's go back to trying to find THIS year's summer album. ;)
the falsetto of that lead singer was making my ears bleed.  :P :D

Blondie's "Panic of Girls" isn't the disc of the summer. I like the first three ("D-Day", "That's what I heard" and "Mother") and my fav was "Wipe Off My Sweat" with it's tango-beat, but the rest put me to sleep.

Patrick Wolfe's "Lupercalia" turned out to be a bit dull.  zzzzzzz 8)

KMFDM "WTF!" starts out great with "Krank", "Come On - Go Off" and "Rebels in Kontrol", the only other songs that don't sound old/trite/retread are "Amnesia" and "Dystopia". the previous "blitz" disc was way better.

ooo, and I love me some Sophie. :-* "Revolution" is very good. While Sophie gets me up and dancing, I was a little let down by this disc though as 4 songs ("bittersweet", "heartbeat", "can't fight this feeling", "Not Giving Up on Love") have actually been released in the yrs since 2007's "Trip The Light Fantastic"

The Cars "Move Like This" is pretty good and really brought back my hi school daze in late 70s  ;)

I'm left now waiting on the next Cobra Starship (I really loved the "hot Mess" disc) and the single "I Don't Blame The World, it's the DJ fault" is in the same vein. It'd be nice too if Chromeo would come out with something else soon but it may be too soon to get my hopes up for that, especially since they're touring.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 01:49:48 am »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:43 am »
Uh, while awaiting word on THE pop summer disc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHKWBxDzyfU&NR=1
Andy Velez

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 12:35:17 pm »
Yes Andy good idea next week I'm gonna have a little 60s and 70s soul fest.

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 07:09:41 pm »
Sophie Ellis-Bextor - i can listen to the whole CD.  Can't for Britney Spears....

Offline drewm

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 07:35:51 pm »
I eat twinkies. Does that count?
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 08:35:40 pm »
I eat twinkies. Does that count?

To what soundtrack?

Offline mecch

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 04:58:48 pm »
Moving to top of list:
K.D. Lang - Sing it Loud.  Surprise, often rather trippy.  I wish she would cut a disc with very druggy, hard band.

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »
I saw Santana at Montreux Jazz this weekend, and Sunday he was with B.B. King.

So moving up the playlist this week is Snowy Wihte and the White Flames - Realistic.
(of Thin Lizzy and Pink Floyd)

This buried Marianne Faithful (same English generation), and is super groovy.

Now, how the fuck do I get in the mood for Ricky Martin tomorrow?

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 01:09:48 am »
This is it:

Torches by Foster The People   (blend of indie rock and electronic dance... and seems upbeat enough to be "summery")

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »
Pop disc of the summer... Not a huge pop fan... but cliche, the gaga album has me in.  Really waiting for the new Manson album due out this year.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2011, 10:56:53 pm »
Little Dragon's new one can be previewed free of charge for a couple weeks:

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/ap

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.