Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:24:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 586
Total: 588

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: For Jimmy G..his first post, please read  (Read 4373 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
For Jimmy G..his first post, please read
« on: June 30, 2007, 06:23:15 pm »
HI Jimmy

I have copied and pasted your post to the "Living with" forum..I think you will get a better feed back from here..also if you need to ask questions, looking for advise or just have a story to tell it's always best to start your own post, that way it doesn't get lost and we can keep track of it...if you are not sure how to do that just ask...I sent you a PM.
Jan
(who is still trying to master the "Move it" button without stuffing up)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everybody! I thank goodness, heaven, and/or whoever for this site and especially for this forum. I have discovered that catharsis is a great tool for emotional healing, and in that sense writing works for me better than a soothing pill would; specially at night

I’m 52 and I got infected back in 1993 (I know for sure), but I was not diagnosed until 1995. I have been practically asymptomatic for the last decade although the condition has exacerbated my allergies. Apart from that, a shingles episode started a mild neuropathy in my left foot. However, in general terms, I look and feel healthy. 

It was precisely the shingles episode what open my eyes to the fact that my viral load had increased from 40K to 160K in 5 years. My CD4 count is around 250, and my CBC is already showing the consequences of those stats. My low red and white blood cells counts are my worst fear right now. I’m beginning to feel tired and weakened.

My recent blood counts motivated my partner, who thought he was HIV-, to get tested, but unfortunately the test showed he is positive. Ironically, I had been very calmed and focused on my health throughout the process, but discovering that my 33 y/o partner is positive has shaken me a little. My biggest concern is about financial issues since now we are two HIV+ in the same household. None of us is on meds yet, but what will happen when the time comes for medications. I will greatly appreciate if you share some light on services and programs for people like us in the mainland. We live in the Caribbean, and HIV issues are still a big taboo down here. Even for health professional.

I’d love to get feedback to my posting. How do you guys see my counts and stats?

May PEACE be with you!  Hugs, Jimmy G. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 06:42:58 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jimrican

• Happy, healthy and hopeful !
Re: For Jimmy G..his first post, please read
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:43 am »
Thanks a ton! I'm new to all this, but you can't imagine how much I appreciate people answering my questions and postings. This is something I've started to do to calm my anxiety, and I do it after 3 or 4 AM, local time. Once I start reading and writing here I get that sense of relief that you only get when you open yourself in a conversation. Very few people, and none of them are my relatives, know about my condition, so this is kind of my only way for catharsis.

I just want everybody to understand that you are lucky living in the USA. There, you can always have access to the latest discoveries and treatments. Down here (PR), where I live, everything is so difficult for HIV+ people. Nobody cares about social and educational differences when it comes to provide a service (no prejudice meant). Sometimes you have to deal with drug addicts and the most horrible people in public treatment centers just to get diagnosed. I don't think the condition is as devastating as the lack of education and financial resources to have access to meds and decent services. And which is worst down here, most health care professionals show a lot of prejudice and lack of tact with HIV+ people. Thanks a lot again and please keep in touch.
Screaming for a cure, but in the meantime asking for help with a peaceful attitude, so that all doors be opened.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:44:43 am »
Hey Jimmy!

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you found your way to us. :-*

We have a a couple of members from PR here, most notably the lovely Josh. I'm sorry to hear that you're doing it a bit tough at the moment regarding social issues and accessing services. I'm sure we'll be able to provide you with a place to share your story and experiences and have a giggle.

Especially have a giggle. ;)

Fondly,

MtD

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:15:00 am »
Hola Jim, bienvenido a los forums, es bueno ver más latinos por estos lados.

I think you can ask Josh about the situation over there about access to meds and so on, plus you should get in contact with a Foundation dealing with Hiv/Aids living people. Also remember that right now almost in all latin america there is access to free meds in government sponsored programmes. That's why it is good for you to get in touch with someone helping/advocating for the rights of people living with aids/hiv in PR so they can guide you in the process.

Wish you the best, you can count with us anytime.

Cheers,

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline Nadine

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 05:26:19 am »
Welcome to the forums Jim...

There is always someone here to talk with...pull up a chair and kick your shoes off.
We are a great bunch of people :D

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:30:06 am »
Once I start reading and writing here I get that sense of relief that you only get when you open yourself in a conversation. Very few people, and none of them are my relatives, know about my condition, so this is kind of my only way for catharsis.

Welcome Jimmy,

Glad you found a place of understanding here. No need to feel alone anymore.

Daniel (in Canada)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:28:13 am »
Hello Jimmy,

welcome to the forums!

What kind of following do you have right now? You said you were infected in 1995, and your VL went from 40 to 160K in the last five years, so do you have regular visits with an infectious disease doctor ? Is he suggesting that you go on meds now? Your CD4 is acceptable but has to be monitored, it possible that it was lower at some point.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 01:30:56 pm »
Hi Jimmy G, welcome to the forums.  I hope someone here can assist you in the delicate nature of HIV care currently in Puerto Rico.  I'm aware of the financial issues surrounding these programs there currently.  As many are aware I have a deep and abiding affinity for La Isla Verde and associated male inhabitants.

Don't worry about the "drug addicts and other horrible people" in the public treatment centers -- surprisingly I've found that some of the best care in a medical respect can occur in these places, as the doctors there quickly become quite skilled at treating the most challenging of HIV patients.  I gather you do not have the resources to simply see a private doctor?  I saw private HIV doctors for over a decade, and now a more public facility in the past 2 years, and to be honest I'd surprisingly rate the public facility marginally better.  Of course, this is quite dependent on the staff so it's not like I've done some huge survey, just adding useless anecdotal evidence.

At any rate, you can go to the public clinic for a start and then switch to something else later if you still feel uncomfortable.  The emphasis should always be on YOU and your comfort level.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 03:27:21 pm »
Hola Jimmy-

First let me compliment you on the brilliance of your written English. Your ability to turn a phrase is vastly superior to many (if not most) of the English-only members here. You seem to have benefited handsomely from your tertiary education.

Getting the right services for HIV+ patients is very tricky and involves balancing trust in your doctor with educating yourself continuously in the latest news and treatment options. Any doctor who is unwilling to take your input into account in your own treatment should be replaced.

As regards the milieu at public clinics, it's much the same here in South Florida as you describe. I think it's important to remember that your dignity comes from inside yourself first. Should any of the staff associate your situation and needs with those of homeless junkies, it's your job to disabuse them of such notions. It may be an uphill struggle, but I firmly believe that you are up to the task.

As regards the infection of your partner: I've been there, although the circumstances were not the same. With us a broken condom early in our relationship led to his infection. We stayed together for nine years and in the end, it wasn't HIV that capsized the relationship. I struggled for many years with the burden of guilt about this and wasted too much time punishing myself over an accident. The seroconversion of a negative partner  changes the dynamics of the relationship is subtle as well as obvious ways. If you ever feel the need to discuss this, feel free to PM me, please.

We are here to support each other and I'm glad you've found us.

Brent
(Who learned all his Spanish in bed)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 03:46:48 pm »
Jimmy welcome to the forums and I am glad you found us.   Your certainly not alone in all of this.  Me and my partner Will were diagnosed about two years ago and one of us is on meds (me) and William is not.   We both live in the US and have health care insurance.   Of course, even given this, we still worry about what lie ahead for us if one of us falls ill or looses our health care.   I am the worrier and my partner,  is the rock.   As long as one of you stays strong, the other won't sink and visa versa...   I hope the best for you Jim and that you can find what you need to survive.   Finding this place is a good start in getting the support you both need and to further your knowledge in what is ahead..

Hugs,

Eric

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 09:55:48 am »
Hey Jimmy,

Welcome to the forums.

I hope you can find the medical care you need and deserve, as can your partner. I hope you are monitoring yourself very closely.

I really don't have too much to add, except I am glad you found us and look forward to hearing more from you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline ubotts

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 10:21:26 am »
Hi and welcome Jimmy..
Hope youll find the answers u are looking for in by using this forum..
I waited till my tcells were down to 27 before i used meds..I felt fine when my t cells were 300 and when they dipped below 200 and l50..My doctor recommended i start taking meds when i when below 300 tcells, but, I like you
felt fine..So i refused meds..Then when i started feeling tired and had a small
rash, i knew something was wrong, I saw my dr. and my tcells were down to 27.
My doctor put me on meds because i finally agreed and ive been doing very well
since then..Yes i have changed my meds a few times, till i got the right cocktail
for me...In time, I guess you and your partner will do the same..
If you have any problems u can email me direct..ok..We are all here to help
one another. So iam glad u found your way into our world..
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.