Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:12:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 677
Total: 677

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Do you foresee a cure for HIV/AIDS. If so how soon do you think we'll see one?  (Read 19800 times)

Offline d-boy86

With many of the breakthroughs that has happened over the last two or three years, do you see a cure for HIV happening during our lifetime?

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
 I'm sure it will happen, may be not in my lifetime, I'm 50 already :'(

but sure would be nice to read that headline before I go
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Not during my lifetime, no.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Honestly this isn't something I have ever sat around thinking/dreaming about.  If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.  I've never found this a healthy thing to fixate on.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Honestly this isn't something I have ever sat around thinking/dreaming about.  If it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.  I've never found this a healthy thing to fixate on.

DITTO!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Nicolas2

With many of the breakthroughs that has happened over the last two or three years, do you see a cure for HIV happening during our lifetime?

I have no idea. I'm not into medicine or pharmacology or biotechnology...

But I do pray for some no name young scientist...somewhere...determined to find a cure (and become a legend)- to work, work, work, work...be smart, explore opportunities, practice some radical, genius methods...and find it.

Offline wolfter

I hope not, we'd have to close this forum and I'd loose touch with a lot of friends....Unless we have an annual bathhouse reunion?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
I hope not, we'd have to close this forum and I'd loose touch with a lot of friends....Unless we have an annual bathhouse reunion?

No offense but fuck all y'all I'd welcome a cure with open arms and never look back.  Great times and all but see ya'.

Offline Nicolas2

I hope it was a joke...kind of...

But that's interesting: condom industry (for example) surely wouldn't like for cure to be found...

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
I hope it was a joke...kind of...

But that's interesting: condom industry (for example) surely wouldn't like for cure to be found...

Plenty of other stuff to wrap your junk up for.  HPV and Herpes being the uncurable, but if you don't fancy a bout of the syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia it's probably a good idea to keep using condoms.

Offline Nicolas2

Sure. I agree - hiv is just one thing to be aware of. But it seems to me that it is still in our culture the one that people are most scared of...and if/when the cure is once found...well...I assume the hiv/aids won't be a problem anymore but all the spectrum of STDs will...

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
I have no idea. I'm not into medicine or pharmacology or biotechnology...

But I do pray for some no name young scientist...somewhere...determined to find a cure (and become a legend)- to work, work, work, work...be smart, explore opportunities, practice some radical, genius methods...and find it.

You're not into medical research clearly cause these are romantic ideas of a loner who saves the world. 

Fact is, thousands of researchers have been working probably millions of hours over the last 25 years and we are probably way past the half way milestone on a way to the cure.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline d-boy86

You're not into medical research clearly cause these are romantic ideas of a loner who saves the world. 

Fact is, thousands of researchers have been working probably millions of hours over the last 25 years and we are probably way past the half way milestone on a way to the cure.

So you think they'll be a cure in about 20 years?

Offline skeebo1969

Plenty of other stuff to wrap your junk up for.  HPV and Herpes being the uncurable, but if you don't fancy a bout of the syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia it's probably a good idea to keep using condoms.

Don't forget pregnancy too...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Cliff

Are you looking for a specific date?  I kinda like 2018, has a nice ring to it.

Offline sam66

I kinda like 2018, has a nice ring to it.

You'r right Cliff,
                  That does have a nice ring to it, I like it

Offline wolfter

According to the Mayan calendar, it doesn't matter no ways....
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline d-boy86

No LOL. Don't be an ass. Just trying to see what is on peoples minds. Usually, when I visit here I see so many post by members who aren't optimistic about our condition at all. It kind of made me stop wanting to visit.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic

Late 2011 has a much nicer ring.

Offline LM

I don't know, I was recently diagnosed and have been reading as much as I can about a possible cure.

Maybe I'm optimistic, but the impression I get is that we are not far from it. Scientists were initially very skeptical about a cure being possible, and now these same scientists are coordinating projects to find it. There has been a renewed interest in finding a cure, and I think it's because of several things, such as the Berlin patient, the latest discoveries, and the feeling that ARVs are reaching a limit of effectiveness, so the next step has to be a cure. Besides that, as I've said somewhere else, the "safe sex" campaigns are not working so much anymore, people are tired of being afraid, especially as many see HIV today as "not so bad". With a rise in the number of infections, countries will have increasing costs to treat these people, so a cure will more and more become an urgent necessity.

So, considering this, and the continuous advances of stem cell research, gene therapy and even nanotechnology, I believe we should have a cure, or at least a functional one, by the end of the decade. I think it's quite possible. That could be optimistic, but I don't see it taking more than 20 years from now, unless the world and the scientific community loses interest in finding a cure, which is highly unlikely.

Offline sam66

Just trying to see what is on peoples minds. Usually, when I visit here I see so many post by members who aren't optimistic about our condition at all. It kind of made me stop wanting to visit.

It will happen D-boy,   keep the faith,  where there is hope there's life

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©

I agree.  It will happen on February 28th at 14:26:48 PST  :).

I don't believe this will ever happen. Better meds?  Definitely.  Longer and better lifespans for those living with teh AIDS?  Abosofuckinlutely.  Cure and total eradication?  Nope. For that reason I don't waste any energy  daydreaming about it or hoping while life is still going on.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

WTF do I know about the final dash to the finish line. I'm drinking a cocktail in the lounge at this race track, in great health thanks to HAART, while that scientific community who has all the expertise is figuring out what needs to be done.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
20 years, yes.

-Will (eternal optimist)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
I have to agree with Philly. It's not something that I sit around thinking about. Either it comes to pass, or it does not. call me indifferent....

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline Dachshund

Unfortunately there will never be a cure for rednecks.

Offline d-boy86

LMAO what the?

Offline Nicolas2

...one single researcher as a metaphor for the whole scientific community.

Offline buginme2

Way to set yourself up for dissapointment.   
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"

Maybe, but like many others in this forum, I don't think I'll see it, I'll be 55 this Nov 2011, also if you already have it NO, but for those who won't be able to get it anymore it will be a Great thing  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline denb45

:D :D :D well that doesn't leave many of us out now does it  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
No offense but fuck all y'all I'd welcome a cure with open arms and never look back.  Great times and all but see ya'.

And we'd be more than happy to let you go.

MtD

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©

MtD

Who was that again?

So so evil.  I love it   ;D

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

I agree one doesn't sit around thinking about the future cure, or planning or hoping or guessing when.

But indifferent?  You mean you are indifferent to wondering about it.  Not indifferent that it happens, or not.

Offline denb45

MtD

Trey, due to the current condition of the economy were gonna have to let you go  :D we may hire you back, but @ a lower pay grade than before  ;D

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
so many diseases haven't been cured after decades of research so I don't see any reason to expect to see a "cure" for HIV come through before other things. (that's not pessimism that's realism)

However, I easily see better treatment and/or a vaccine coming in the next 10-20 yrs (and that optimism)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Trey, due to the current condition of the economy were gonna have to let you go  :D we may hire you back, but @ a lower pay grade than before  ;D

This ^

is awesome. lol
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
This ^

is awesome. lol

Will, you can do the honors: chile, you're fired.

Hopefully she ain't planning to collect unemployment from us.

Offline denb45

Will, you can do the honors: chile, you're fired.

Hopefully she ain't planning to collect unemployment from us.

It's ok Trey, you can come & stay with me, just make sure your trust-funds are in order, cause child you aint  living here for FREE , and the abuse that I'll give you won't pay the bills :D  :D :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:38:33 pm by denb45 »

Offline xman

I don't believe this will ever happen. Better meds?  Definitely.  Longer and better lifespans for those living with teh AIDS?  Abosofuckinlutely.  Cure and total eradication?  Nope. For that reason I don't waste any energy  daydreaming about it or hoping while life is still going on.

better meds? probably you aren't aware that the pharma industry is cutting investments in the development of new arv drugs and that the pipeline is quite dry. current drugs are just the best you can get and every new inhibitor will not solve the problem of long term toxicities, costs (which is a major issue), inflammation and, the very big problem, resistance! you cannot warrant a lifetime virus suppression if you don't overcome resistance. to do this big pharma needs to develop newer and even better drugs for an indefinite time.  it is quite evident this is absolutely impossible. currently many drugs don't finish the final phases of testing because they aren't as efficient as the approved ones. also new infections occur on a daily basis and all the prevention efforts of last two decades were a total failure. definitely a new approach is needed. either a vaccine or a cure. many researchers now strongly believe that a cure is more feasible than a vaccine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:23:54 pm by xman »

Offline denb45

better meds? probably you aren't aware that the pharma industries is cutting investments in new arv drugs and that the pipeline is quite dry. current drugs are just the best you can get and every new inhibitor will not solve the problem of long term toxicities, costs (which is a major issue) and inflammation. also new infections occur on a daily basis and all the prevention efforts of last two decades were a total failure. definitely a new approach is needed. either a vaccine or a cure. many researchers now strongly believe that a cure is more feasible than a vaccine.

Aint gonna happen in my lifetime  ???

Offline xman

so many diseases haven't been cured after decades of research so I don't see any reason to expect to see a "cure" for HIV come through before other things. (that's not pessimism that's realism)

there's a first time for everything even for curing a disease.

Offline mecch

better meds? probably you aren't aware that the pharma industry is cutting investments in the development of new arv drugs and that the pipeline is quite dry. current drugs are just the best you can get and every new inhibitor will not solve the problem of long term toxicities, costs (which is a major issue), inflammation and, the very big problem, resistance! you cannot warrant a lifetime virus suppression if you don't overcome resistance. to do this big pharma needs to develop newer and even better drugs for an indefinite time.  it is quite evident this is absolutely impossible. currently many drugs don't finish the final phases of testing because they aren't as efficient as the approved ones. also new infections occur on a daily basis and all the prevention efforts of last two decades were a total failure. definitely a new approach is needed. either a vaccine or a cure. many researchers now strongly believe that a cure is more feasible than a vaccine.

you have a bleak view in many of these opinion statements.

Offline rocky48

;) I do not worry about the cure if it happens great but it will be for the young people not me. I live each day to the fullest. I am now 63
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline tash08

Complete eradication might be possible but I don't see it on the horizon any time soon.Therapeutic vaccine that would keep viral replication in check or significantly lower would be nice.  But again research avenues could be altered drastically by new findings, unfortunately clinical trials take a long time, all we can do in the mean time is stay optimistic.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:37:04 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline tednlou2

I think it is good to have something to look forward to.  Having things to look forward to often gives people drive to keep on keeping on---as long as ya don't become obsessed with it.  Scientist are learning so much, so I think there will be some huge advancement within my lifetime.  It may only be that you take meds just once a month, but that would be great.

Offline komnaes

Oh c'mon Doxie, there's hope even for teh rednecks...

Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sfpvguy41

I was surprised no one mentioned Sangamo's zinc fingers technology results, as reported at CROI 2011...here's the link to the presentation, especially watch the last two presentations.

http://app2.capitalreach.com/esp1204/servlet/tc?c=10164&cn=retro&s=20445&&mobile=auto&dp=player.jsp&e=13748&mediaType=slideVideo

The first rounds of clinical trials have proved safety of this approach to genetically modifiying your CD 4 cells to remove the ccr5 receptor, which hiv uses to enter and destroy these cells. The idea is HIV kills off the unmodified cells, and the modified ones survive and replace your unmodified cells, and these are hiv-resistant, as they are in long term nonprogressors.   Hiv has nowhere to infect and dies off.  This is how thye cured the Berlin patient. It has been tested on a dozen or so people so far, now they are modifiying more cells and are going to try it on patients who are not yet on meds or who are failing.

This may represent a "functional cure" where we will not need meds to control the disease, or,  perhaps and actual cure possibly by modifying your stem cells to in effect make the modified cells.  That is exactly how. The Berlin patient was cured, and after two years they cannot find hiv in his system.

This is among the most promising research out there.  It could be viable in a period of a few years. So hang in there. My hiv doc thinks this is gonna be the way its beaten, and relatively soon.

And now I can add....hey, they killed bin Laden didnt they? Anything is possible!
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline geobee

At CROI, there were 4 presentations re: altering T-Cells with gene therapy to delete the CCR5 receptor to mimic what happened with the Berlin patient (who received a bone marrow transplant from a CCR5-negative donor).  Of course, he also got several rounds of chemo too...

One of the presentations focused on patients currently on meds to see if the new T-cells would graft and expand.  They did.  Dr. Lalezari/Quest is currently recruiting two different cohorts -- treatment-naive individuals and people whose treatment has been failing.  

Data on both of these new cohorts will be presented in the second half of 2011.  If these cohorts can control the virus with new T-Cells and w/o meds, well, that's very good news indeed.  And if this same technique can be successfully applied to stem-cells, then we'll have at least a functional -- if not sterilizing --  cure.  So we should have an early indication if this will work this year.  And if it looks promising, I'd say we have about 5 years until we see it in the clinic.  

PS - my doc was also optimistic about this approach...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:18:29 am by geobee »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.