Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any solutions to Stribild GI side effects?  (Read 5581 times)

Offline Seattlem4m

Any solutions to Stribild GI side effects?
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:38:14 pm »
Hello All,

I've been on Stribild for 10 months now, and deal with daily diarrhea.  I thought this was a small price to pay for my undetectable status and 1-pill-a-day ease, but I just signed on to a 5-day river rafting trip in Aug '13 and need to get this under some control.   Has anyone experimented with immodium, probiotics, or other helpful cures?

Thanks!
 8)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Any solutions to Stribild GI side effects?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:47:16 pm »
Hello All,

I've been on Stribild for 10 months now, and deal with daily diarrhea.  I thought this was a small price to pay for my undetectable status and 1-pill-a-day ease, but I just signed on to a 5-day river rafting trip in Aug '13 and need to get this under some control.   Has anyone experimented with immodium, probiotics, or other helpful cures?

Thanks!
 8)

You can take Imodium after or before every loose stool and it wont hurt you to do so . Google the Brat diet , it has helpful tips also . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:20 pm »
More fibre << fibre slows down the passage of food through the gut which means more water is absorbed before you dump.

Imodium works. You can take 2 x what is says on the packet. After several years you can become tolerant. Generic version (loperamide) is much cheaper but has a boring packet.

Or, get a new combo. This might be a little drastic if the squits is mild and everything else okay.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:34:56 pm »
[ After several years you can become tolerant.

I've read several places that this isn't necessarily true. I've been on it for 16 years.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Digestive-Disorders---Gastroenterology/overuse-of-loperamide-imodium/show/885009
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline positivelynerd

• Life isn't a struggle, it's a wiggle.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:56:31 am »
I can't speak to your medication regimen, but I had some pretty awful gas/diarrhea during my ARS and I got a good handle on them with some probiotics.  I've switched between a couple different products- Florastor, Culturelle, and Kefir and had good success with all of them.  I believe there are a few threads on here highlighting the usefulness of probiotics for general GI issues.  Just a thought.

Good luck,
_nerd
5/25/12 Seroconversion
9/25/12 Diagnosed
10/12/12: VL- 799k, CD4 285
10/25/12 VL- 599k, CD4 274 
Started Sustiva + Epzicom
11/8/12: VL- 1790, CD4 412, 24%,
11/20/12: VL- 1470, CD4 350, 28%
12/19/12: VL- 584, CD4 293, 24%
1/16/13: VL- 411, CD4 404, 27%
2/13/13: VL- 314, CD4 523, 20%
3/13/13: VL- 171, CD4 404, 26%
4/10/13: VL- 96, CD4 397, 27%
5/8/13: VL- UD, CD4 422, 26%
6/5/13: VL- UD, CD4 462, 31%
7/24/13: VL- UD, CD4 559, 33%

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." -A. Einstein

Offline badmachine

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:47 am »
Although I have not taken Stribild, my experience with loperamide (Imodium) is that it causes cramps, and really only delays the inevitable. Diphenoxylate (Lomotil) has less side effects, but may not be as effective. I have found hydrocodone (a pain medication commonly known as Vicodin) to have a beneficial side effect of slowing the flow without as much cramping as loperamide. Hope this helps. :)
diagnosed HIV+ August 19, 1991

Offline livingmmy9lives

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:26 pm »
Loperamide works good for me. I usually take 3 about an hour after I get up after my morning visit to the toilet. If 3 isn't enough you can safely take 4. Good luck,
Diagnosed 1988.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.