Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:06:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 656
Total: 657

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Corona virus  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Mindless

Corona virus
« on: February 12, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
Living in Thailand, eventually I’m starting to get sensitive to all the daily bombing of news and social media...

Are we hiv+ people more at risk of getting the virus compared re to the general population? Should we take extra safety measures?

To other people living in Se Asia and Asia in general: I have multiple hospital appointments in the coming days for different check ups, plus a business trip to Myanmar next week.

Should I be concerned? Extra cautious? Or avoid those places and trips altogether?

Only getting paranoid?

Thanks
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Corona virus
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:26:50 pm »
I think everyone I have spoken to is paranoid.
Wish they were all this paranoid about the flu, it might be more useful.

I don't think there has been any indication so far that HIV+ people are more or less at risk of contracting this virus. So far it's been pretty limited and although sad for those affected it's only killed a relatively small number.

Personally, if I had non-essential travel to an infected area I would postpone, my trip to Malta that's unaffected in two weeks time, I am going come hell or high water.   ;)

Best, Jim

https://www.jwatch.org/fw116322/2020/02/05/cdc-spells-out-risk-levels-novel-coronavirus
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:37:40 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CR2016

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 01:34:41 pm »
Consider how important would be you travel to this place, better would be not to do it. But, its so important to take precautionary measures like wash your hands as frecuently as necessary, to wear with antibacterial gel, avoid physical direct contact as much as possible, if you are visiting crowded places would be important use mouth cover. They are measures for anyone independient HIV status.
Enjoy your life to the fullest!
regards

Offline Expat1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:13:56 pm »
Hi mindless, everyone locally (South East Asia) that I know is convinced the real numbers are being suppressed.  As I live in a very tourist area, I wear a mask in clinics and in crowds.  I try to reduce trips to anywhere large numbers of people go.   I bought some masks online at Lazada.  I also have ethyl alcohol bottles at the door and in each bedroom.  For rinsing hands.   

The other thing is to have a supply of food on  hand in case panic buying occurs.  Stock up on cereal, canned goods and the like.

That's about all I can do without becoming a hermit and living in a cave for the next year.

Offline Loa111

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 02:58:14 am »
Well, I am not going to let it stop my trip to Thailand this summer. Unless it gets much much worse of course to extreme crisis point.

I remember then then SARs bird flu one happened I still went to Thailand years ago and there was hardly 60 people on the massive plane. Lovely flight lol

Offline Mindless

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 01:08:38 am »
Thanks all!

Eventually I had to go to Myanmar (couldn’t postpone work) and I’ll probably have to go back very soon.

Expat, I guess real numbers are slowly emerging eventually.

Last week the general feeling here in Bkk was quite “relaxed”: only about 10/20% of people wearing a mask in public places. On the flight I took maybe roughly 50% were, I was surprise as I was expecting much more.
I guess things will change again a little after last days news or at least hope so.

To my surprise most dr. in hospitals don’t wear a mask (whilst all nurses do), including my hiv dr...  ???

Hugs

Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.