Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

mRNA-1644 / mRNA-1644v2-Core HIV Vaccine

(1/4) > >>

gpapadop91:
https://www.cnn.gr/kosmos/story/278267/moderna-xekinoyn-oi-dokimes-gia-to-peiramatiko-emvolio-mrna-kata-toy-hiv

Hello friends...
How are you?
I know that you already know about tomorrow start of Moderna trial of mRNA hiv vaccine.

All news and newspapers and e-newspapers and websites tall about this all day...

I know...as you, me too I'm pessimistic about this ..but the hope is still living inside me...

I have two questions...
Is there any hope because of this new otherwise promising method of mrna to have any good above 50-60% of success??

2. If yes , would it be only for preventing hiv or curing (even suppressing the virus without the need of daily art) hiv in PLHIV?

See you guys ..

leatherman:

--- Quote from: gpapadop91 on August 18, 2021, 02:17:45 pm ---1. Is there any hope because of this new otherwise promising method of mrna to have any good above 50-60% of success??

2. If yes , would it be only for preventing hiv or curing (even suppressing the virus without the need of daily art) hiv in PLHIV?

--- End quote ---
as a phase 1 trial, the answer to both your questions is maybe.

--- Quote ---Moderna will be trialling two versions of its new vaccine candidate, officially called mRNA-1644 (the variant is known as mRNA-1644v2-Core). This is the first mRNA vaccine against HIV to be trialled in humans.

There will be four groups as part of the trial two receiving a mix of the vaccine versions, and two receiving one or the other.

At this early stage, the trial isn't 'blind', which means everyone who receives the vaccine will know what they're getting. That's because right now the researchers aren't trying to work out how well the vaccine works. This first phase will last approximately 10 months, and they just want to make sure it's safe and that it mounts a basic immune response.

If the vaccine passes this phase, they will still need to go through phase 2 and phase 3 trials to determine how well they work at preventing HIV infection in the broader population.
--- End quote ---
https://www.sciencealert.com/moderna-s-experimental-hiv-vaccine-could-begin-human-trials-as-soon-as-this-week

as per your second question, vaccines are tested to see if they work to prevent infection. If successful, sometimes so meds can then be considered whether they might provide a "functional cure" (instead of eradicating the virus, a functional cure aims to suppress the virus to levels where it cannot cause the body any harm and do so without the ongoing use of drugs). A vaccine might not be a cure or functional cure; but a successful vaccine could possibly stop anyone else from ever getting infected.

gpapadop91:

--- Quote from: leatherman on August 18, 2021, 03:38:17 pm --- A vaccine might not be a cure or functional cure; but a successful vaccine could possibly stop anyone else from ever getting infected.

--- End quote ---

Sounds a bit pessimistic for us and optimistic only for negatives.

Do I understand correct that you see it a bit pessimistically?

gpapadop91:
Yes for me it's a hope because I want to have a hope...even if I know that it might show some effectiveness , I still know it will be ready in at least 5-10 years or 15 maybe...

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---Is there any hope because of this new otherwise promising method of mrna to have any good above 50-60% of success??
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---as a phase 1 trial, the answer to both your questions is maybe.
--- End quote ---

Yup.

After the number of novel, new and breakthrough and promised things we have seen fall flat on its face over the years, I now treat all these things like the Irish weather report.

So I largely ignore it, unless it's at the end of phase 3 clinical trials or I can personally witness the sun shining  ;)

However, these things are scientifically interesting I suppose and even from failures, a lot can be learned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version