Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 12:56:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 129
Total: 129

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thowing in the towel.....for now...  (Read 21476 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Re: Thowing in the towel.....for now...
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2010, 10:44:13 am »
Just want to clear something up.

I won't pretend to know what it's like being a gay male with HIV but I have quite a few gay friends and at least within that social circle, HIV is not the social stigma that it turns out to be in the heterosexual world.

Obviously you haven't checked out ads on Craig's List or other gay "dating" sites lately.  You seldom see ads that say I am HIV+.  As a matter of fact on CL in  my town most of the ads say that lovely word "clean" or "DDF you be too".  So to say that the stigma isn't as great is not quite true.  Anyone who has a problem with HIV have it against all of us gay or straight.  But of course as a gay man I got what I deserve.

In terms of being HIV+ this mentality of I am straight so I have it worse or I am a woman so I have it worse or I am gay so I have it worse or I am an African American so I have it worse or I am a biracial, transsexual, IV drug user, Republican so I have it worse is ridiculous.  I think any of us who are HIV+ should not think we have it any worse than our fellow posies. We all have issues to deal with and I will offer support to anyone that needs it but someone says I have more problems than you,  you will get no support from me, 'cause you ain't walked in my shoes or for that matter anyone's shoes on this site.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 10:46:52 am »
You boys never been to Club Rolex down in Miami, huh?

skeebo thats one place I will for sure checkout , if I'm ever in the states,

not sure if my hear could handle it though,

see ya later, got to eat
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 10:56:15 am »
In terms of being HIV+ this mentality of I am straight so I have it worse or I am a woman so I have it worse or I am gay so I have it worse or I am an African American so I have it worse or I am a biracial, transsexual, IV drug user, Republican so I have it worse is ridiculous.  I think any of us who are HIV+ should not think we have it any worse than our fellow posies. We all have issues to deal with and I will offer support to anyone that needs it but someone says I have more problems than you,  you will get no support from me, 'cause you ain't walked in my shoes or for that matter anyone's shoes on this site.

Then why respond?  Sorry, while it may be an issue that most have encountered, I can certainly understand the problem Mpos has brought forth in this thread..  for the most part he and his infection will be viewed with skepticism and the lack of a pool of people to date from only compounds this issue for him evidentally.  That's the problem and some how he needs to find the solution.

Now whether that problem is self imposed or real remains to be seen... 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline veritas

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 10:57:29 am »

mpos,

Have you tried all of these:

http://www.whispy.com/hiv-positive-singles-dating.html

Scroll down. It'll happen. Don't beat yourself down. Be safe!

v

Offline mpositive

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:03 am »
Thanks Veritas, gonna check that out further too.

Hey all, I portrayed the issues and feelings I had, seriously, if you can't be helpful, don't be hurtful.  However, please don't think for a moment that if attacked I will cower.  I may be normally quiet and reserved here, but, I will not be attacked for my feelings without a response. 
That being said, I do understand where woodshere is coming from.  I gave you my experience however and as Skeebo said, it is just my experience and feelings, right or wrong.....or rather, justified or not.   I was looking for advice and helpful suggestions and of course I got that too.  The attacks ...  well certainly did not want that. 
This Forum has never let me down and the folks here , for the most part, are very helpful.  As always, I do aprpeciate it.
Much love to all!
:)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2010, 11:45:08 am »
Do you seriously think YOU as an individual was attacked.  Cause I just don't see a personal attack directed toward you and I have reread the thread many times.  Regardless I think we all can agree that none of us have an easy way of it.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline sam66

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »
 Mpos,
           I meant to ask you before,  are you looking for poz, neg or doesn't matter; partner

In my case I want to meet up with a +ve lady  , none of my female friends knows my status,
           come to think of it none of my male friends knows my status either, ( that's why I like this site, feel at
           home here some how )

Having one to one with a +ve woman is the only thing that I feel is missing   

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2010, 12:35:57 pm »
This is one thing that confuses me with HIV+ males looking for (I'm assuming) other HIV+ females -- numerically you should be in a better position than most everyone else, for the simple reason that you, the HIV+ male, are in shorter supply.  So basically I don't get what the problem is with this.

Or maybe I'm just missing something.  There are significant amounts of HIV+ females in the city I live in.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline sam66

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2010, 12:44:50 pm »
This is one thing that confuses me with HIV+ males looking for (I'm assuming) other HIV+ females -- numerically you should be in a better position than most everyone else, for the simple reason that you, the HIV+ male, are in shorter supply.  So basically I don't get what the problem is with this.

Or maybe I'm just missing something.  There are significant amounts of HIV+ females in the city I live in.

Be grateful if You cold get them to drop me a line Miss P 8)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2010, 12:48:08 pm »
 There are significant amounts of HIV+ females in the city I live in.

Yeah, and you're one of them.

LOL

I couldn't resist. Sorry for the hijack!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:50:03 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 12:49:45 pm »
      Be grateful if You cold get them to drop me a line Miss P 8)

Miss P ain't no pimp!  Seriously though, if it was me in your shoes I guess I'd forego the on line pursuit and join some HIV volunteering where you actually meet these women in person.  It might not result in marriage but at least you have the potential to make some friendships.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 12:58:07 pm »

I agree.  I like to think it was because of my great looks and charming personality, but to be honest, this (above)  probably had something to do with my success dating after diagnosis.   I would think New York would have someone of the female persuasion who happens to also be pos...  I wonder what his profile says, maybe I can give him something slick to say to fool a woman into his clutching arms.... I dunno, just wanta help the guy get a piece is all.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 12:59:14 pm »

that was a joke by the way... can feel the hammer coming down.

Offline sam66

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 01:08:54 pm »
Miss P ain't no pimp!  Seriously though, if it was me in your shoes I guess I'd forego the on line pursuit and join some HIV volunteering where you actually meet these women in person.  It might not result in marriage but at least you have the potential to make some friendships.

Yes I know, there is on org. cater for straights in london strai8t talk I think.

I will make some time to go see them one day.  I travell around a lot , thats the problem,
                   I'll be chasing the sun(and women  :-*)  in a few days  , too damn cold here

Time to head south 8)

thanks for the advice Miss P

Skeebo I'm going to get u to do my profile ::)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 01:19:30 pm »
                          Skeebo I'm going to get u to do my profile ::)

LOL.......  looking for friends works like a charm ;)  I got two divorces under my belt to show for it. ;)

Offline sam66

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 01:26:34 pm »

U been reading my profile skeebo :o,      How do u who i am ???

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.