Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:38:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 538
Total: 538

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Estiva and Avocomb  (Read 8903 times)

Offline paulsmithpoz10

Estiva and Avocomb
« on: April 12, 2013, 09:22:36 am »
Anyone in the Philippines who's taking these meds?
CD4: 348 VL:147,000 - March 13,2013
CD4: 413 VL:49 - August 9, 2013
CD4: 619 VL:31 - January 30, 2014

Offline paulsmithpoz10

Re: Estiva and Avocomb
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:05:57 am »
Hi guys, I've been taking these meds for 6 days now and I think I developed hives on my hands. It's so itchy and my skin is peeling. Is this a sign that I'm allergic to these meds?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:22:41 am »
Hi Paul . Here is a link where you can learn a bit more about the Sustiva you are on .
Best of luck ! .

http://www.sustiva.com/
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:28:37 am »
Thanks for the link Jeff!  ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:34:43 am »
Thanks for the link Jeff!  ;D

Your welcome . I wish I could be of more help . You may want to do some searches yourself if you just began other medications , one of those could be the culprit also .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 12:12:32 pm »
Hi Jeff. Just to give an update. My doctor decided to change my meds. Unfortunately, I was having an allergic reaction to the meds I was taking (estiva and combovir). He gave me 5 days so I can flush the meds out of my system and will switch me to my 2nd cocktail this weekend. I hope 2nd try will work smoothly this time.  :D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
I'm happy to hear you are getting this straightened out , please give us an update when you know what meds and how they are effecting you . Best of luck ! .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 01:39:07 am »
Just updating, my ID switched my meds to Nevirapine and will still continue to use combovir. I hope this cocktail will for me.

Offline paulsmithpoz10

Re: Estiva and Avocomb/ Nevi
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 01:01:19 am »
hi, I've been taking my meds for 1 week (Combovir and Nevi). However, I suddenly developed cold and slight cough. No rash or fever though. I checked the "AidsMeds" but it's not one of it's side effects. Should I be worried or will this go away by itself. Not sure because of the weather here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 05:39:41 am »
Paul, it sounds like you have a simple head cold. You're going to get common ailments like sore throats, chest infections, stuffy head, runny nose, tummy bugs, flu, or whatever else hiv negative people get as a matter of routine. Now that you're on meds this stuff is still going to happen, but it has nothing to do with hiv or the meds. It's just part of life. For anyone.

If your illness persists for more than 5-7 days or so or you develop a high fever (HIGH fever), then it's time to see your doctor. Otherwise, just do what you would have done before hiv - namely drink loads of fluids, get plenty of rest and try an over-the-counter remedy to counteract the symptoms.

Not everything that happens to  your body from here on out is going to have anything to do with hiv or the meds. Try to keep that in mind.

Hope you feel better soon.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 07:35:22 am »
Thanks for the reply Ann. I guess I'm just paranoid since I'm still in the trial period. Next week will be my 2 nevi pills/day of I pass this week without any reactions.

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:00 pm »
Hi. Just giving an update and hope you can provide comments.

Yesterday I went to my doctor because my 2 two week trial period for Nevirapine will be on Saturday. As of yesterday, I was okay, no rashes no reactions at all.

Today, when I woke up, rashes appeared on both of my hands. (trying to attach the pics but it won't upload.) I was really hoping that this was the medicine for me. I think in our country, only 2 cocktails are available. Not sure if there are any other options for me if this meds doesn't work for me. =( 

I'll try to contact my doctor later.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 09:11:20 pm »
Hi. Just giving an update and hope you can provide comments.

Yesterday I went to my doctor because my 2 two week trial period for Nevirapine will be on Saturday. As of yesterday, I was okay, no rashes no reactions at all.

Today, when I woke up, rashes appeared on both of my hands. (trying to attach the pics but it won't upload.) I was really hoping that this was the medicine for me. I think in our country, only 2 cocktails are available. Not sure if there are any other options for me if this meds doesn't work for me. =( 

I'll try to contact my doctor later.

I wouldn't put off letting your doctor know what's going on . I had to stop that med due to rash at day 16 , it was caught early so I was OK and no damage done .

For what its worth  ... I just switched to a med last month and thought all was well but its causing major problems with my blood sugar ... so these things happen and we have deal with it I guess . Please give us an update and be well bud .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 09:29:38 pm »
(trying to attach the pics but it won't upload.)
just so you'll know, uploads were disabled here several yrs ago because of spammers and viruses. Check out the off-topic forum for a thread about avatars and pictures (how to upload and link them here) to learn more.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Found this online

"Approximately 16% of people starting nevirapine (NVP) will get a rash in the form of red blotches, itchy lumps, and/or speckles on the skin. This usually appears after one to four weeks of treatment and goes away after two to four weeks. Thereafter, most people experience very few or no side-effects."

"Patients experiencing severe rash or a rash accompanied by fever, blistering, sores in the mouth, conjunctivitis, facial swelling, muscle or joint aches, or general malaise should consult a doctor, who may advise them to stop taking nevirapine." -- http://www.aidsmap.com/Side-effects/page/1731140/

Does it mean that mild rash is "normal" effect of this medicine?

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:53:59 pm »
just so you'll know, uploads were disabled here several yrs ago because of spammers and viruses. Check out the off-topic forum for a thread about avatars and pictures (how to upload and link them here) to learn more.

Thanks for the advise! =) I checked the "Welcom" section after posting my message. =)

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 04:54:37 am »
Just came from my doctor. Good news and bad news.

Good news: I have another option on my meds. Doc will let me take Kaletra. He said it has the same efficacy as Efivarenz and Nevirapine but less side effects. I just need to take more tablets per day (it's fine with me, as long as I won't have side effects as before). I just need to stop my current meds for 1 week, then I'll start with new.

Bad news: This is the last medicine available for me. In our country there's not much option on meds. If this still doesn't work for me, doc said that I don't have other "free" options. This worries me a lot, since I'll need to purchase my meds in another country. (I know worrying doesn't help, but I can't resist). I'm really hoping that Kaletra works for me.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:58 am »
Hi Paul ... Im with you in hoping the new med works out , I'm sure it will .

I get angry sometime when I read about people and the lack of health care , especially when the price of a few lifesaving pills could be pocket change if not for greed and love of money .

Thanks for posting your update and for reminding some of us to count our blessings and better yet a reminder to speak out about health care inequality .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 09:59:24 am »
I'll still try to be positive about my case. Hey, I still have another shot at it, right? When it doesn't work out, then, that's the time I'll face my most feared concern. For now, I have to live one day at a time (easier said than done).

Offline paulsmithpoz10

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 12:22:37 pm »
Quick question, how much is a drug resistance cost? Does that test help you identify what meds will work for you and which meds are you allergic to?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
Quick question, how much is a drug resistance cost? Does that test help you identify what meds will work for you and which meds are you allergic to?

HIV Genotyping is rather costly anywhere from what I understand . You might can do an internet search for a lab or facility in your area that does the test , not knowing where you are located makes it even harder to advise you an a question like this one .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.