Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:48:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 313
Total: 313

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HPV...Scared :(  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Hopeful2016

HPV...Scared :(
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:56:56 pm »
Hello dear members of the forums..
It's me again, it seems that getting rid of some health problem must be accompanied by getting another one.

I went to the dermatologist because of continuous tinea versicolor infection despite my high personal hygiene, he prescribed an antifungal cream then he checked me.

SURPRISINGLY, despite being sexually inactive (i didn't touch anyone since my hiv diagnosis) he said that i have genital warts on my anus and must be inside also. I got a shock because I didn't notice or felt them.
He prescribed Aldara cream and adviced me to take gardasil vaccine and that's it.
I went to another doctor to seek a second opinion, he checked me and inserted a proctoscope inside my anus and said
"You have flat warts outside and one wart just near opening of your anus and no warts inside but you need to freeze them by cryotherapy then we will use aldara cream for prophylaxis and you must do STDs panel tests including hiv test(i didn't disclose to him that I'm hiv positive)
he said if you are positive for hiv then we will also inject interferon inside your sphincter of your anus because hivers are immunocompromised and recurrence rates are high among them compared to hiv negatives :( :( :(

I asked him about follow up with pap smears and HRA to scan for anal dysplasia which is the precancerous form of anal cancer, he said we don't do pap smears for men neither HRA all i can do is proctoscopy and anal dysplasia is very rare and you don't need to take gardasil vaccine!!!

1-Do HPV associated with anal cancer really in hiv positive patients? If so how common?
2- does HPV flat warts(i don't have the cauliflower shape)  have a high recurrence rate in hivers as he said?
3-does proctoscope is enough to detect any lesion before it becomes a cancer and does it eventually becomes a cancer?

Which one of the two doctors i follw his plan?
If anyone has any experience... Please tell me I'm in a total loss... THIS hpv scares the hell out of me :(

Offline harleymc

Re: HPV...Scared :(
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:30:04 am »
The quick answer is that anal cancer is much more frequent among people living with HIV than not. That being said it's also uncommon for PLWHA.

As your cd4 count rises, your risk will drop.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:40:06 am »
Can't add from personal experience to your thread as I have none on this topic. However the poz lesson on this does address the questions you have asked, so thought I would add that for you.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/human-papilloma-virus-hpv
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CanadianExpat1983

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:41:24 pm »
This issue has been making me lose sleep too. HIV + MSM engaging in receptive anal sex is the highest risk group. Anal Pap smear, HRA, HPV DNA PCR (latter may give false neg result if latent) has been deemed crucial to detect anal cancer bio-markers (i.e. AIN, HGIL) per publications/ studies in this field but some of these aren't recommended for men by doctors. Therefore, you will have hard time persuading doctors to perform these on you.

Almost half of the anal cytology results are false negative. Co testing( anal pap smear and HRA) should be standard for this risk group.

PROCTOSCOPE detects hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fistula and perhaps cancerous growths. You need your anus examined 20 to 40 times magnified via HRA. This procedure requires advanced skills and training.

Print out studies on this issue and bang them on your doc's office desk!

Also, go    head with your HPV shots.

Early detection of HGIL is key for favourable prognosis.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:44:53 pm by CanadianExpat1983 »
Seroconverted and diagnosed in Aug 2017.
On treatment since Oct 2017,U+ since Nov 2017.
On Genvoya CD4 count ranging between 850-966. (Nov 2017-present)
MMR, Tdap, Hep A/B, Gardasil-9, Pneumovax 13, 23, Meningococcal

Offline Hopeful2016

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:48:56 am »
Can't add from personal experience to your thread as I have none on this topic. However the poz lesson on this does address the questions you have asked, so thought I would add that for you.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/human-papilloma-virus-hpv
Thank you ☺

Offline Hopeful2016

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:58:44 am »
up. Anal Pap smear, HRA, HPV DNA PCR (latter may give false neg result if latent) has been deemed crucial to detect anal cancer bio-markers (i.e. AIN, HGIL) per publications/ studies in this field but some of these aren't recommended for men by doctors. Therefore, you will have hard time persuading doctors to perform these on you.

Almost half of the anal cytology results are false negative. Co testing( anal pap smear and HRA) should be standard for this risk group.

PROCTOSCOPE detects hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fistula and perhaps cancerous growths. You need your anus examined 20 to 40 times magnified via HRA. This procedure requires advanced skills and training.

Print out studies on this issue and bang them on your doc's office desk!

Also, go    head with your HPV shots.

Early detection of HGIL is key for favourable prognosis.
NO DR here is performing anal pap smear let alone that they don't even know about HRA... I went to two colorecal surgeons...they don't know anything about HRA.
All they did is digital rectal examination and proctoscopes.
I don't know what can I do?

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 02:46:25 pm »
It is frustrating that anal pap smears seem to be so rarely done and that folks have doctors who say they don't do them.  Given that it is not much different than a cervical pap smear (except for where one inserts the swab).  Once a sample is obtained, the test is pretty much EXACTLY the same as a cervical pap smear.  I mean, really, if cervical pap smears are routinely performed, then anal pap smears can be done.  It seems to be a case of "never done it, so don't want to".

Here is a link one can share with their doctor on how to obtain a sample (it really is a simple procedure):

http://analcancerinfo.ucsf.edu/obtaining-specimen-anal-cytology

It is not all that surprising that HRA's aren't readily available - at least outside of major metro areas.  However, if the anal pap was done more routinely, it could then be followed up with an HRA, if warranted -- even if it did require some travel.

Mike

Offline harleymc

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 08:03:46 pm »
I had my annual HRA ( High Resolution Anoscopy) yesterday.

One of my high grade lesions had completely resolved, the other was small circa 2 mm and was biopsied.

The evidence base is rapidly confirming that observe and monitor is the safest approach.

Offline Hopeful2016

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 10:54:49 am »
I had my annual HRA ( High Resolution Anoscopy) yesterday.

One of my high grade lesions had completely resolved, the other was small circa 2 mm and was biopsied.

The evidence base is rapidly confirming that observe and monitor is the safest approach.
Thank you very much for your follow up... Keep us posted about updates of SPANC study and your case, wishing all the best for you

Offline harleymc

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:23 am »
Got my biopsy results back it was a HSIL. I'm yet to have an appointment with the study doctor to discuss.

I did go to an information night, for the SPANC study which is nearly over. There was a strong recommendation from the doctors that we do annual self examination with a finger, apparently anomalies as small as 3mm can be detected by untrained people. I'll just have to sure to wash my hands obsessively afterwards. ;-)

Offline Hopeful2016

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 06:54:16 am »
Got my biopsy results back it was a HSIL. I'm yet to have an appointment with the study doctor to discuss.

I did go to an information night, for the SPANC study which is nearly over. There was a strong recommendation from the doctors that we do annual self examination with a finger, apparently anomalies as small as 3mm can be detected by untrained people. I'll just have to sure to wash my hands obsessively afterwards. ;-)
So what does the doctor say about your second HSIL which didn't resolve by its own?
Does he recommend treatment or still watching and waiting?
I need also to understand from you when will treatment be be a necessary action??
treatment an

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 08:17:22 am »
Hi, I have had HRA procedures for the past several years and as the others explained it is diagnosed with a simple pap smear. I'm really sorry I thought I responded in your thread but it was in another on the same topic. I will post it here.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=67543.0

Best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline doctor_sexologist

• I'm clinical sexologist
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 04:21:17 am »
HI everybody.
First of all we need to do HPV Screening and find out which type of HPV you have high risk or low risk, or maybe both. Mostly genital warts are connected with HPV 6/11 which is low risk and can bring cosmetic problems.
In My country/Armenia Aldara (imiquimod) is not available, but Aldara also very effective for warts.
I advise to my patient to do Cryotherapy or surgical removall.
If you have no high risk HPV, you need to get Vaccine(for example Gardasil), because you can get HPV even If you do protected sex.
High risk HPV can lead anal, oropharyngeal cancer. HIV positive people has a serious problems if they have very low CD4 counts, if you are doing great with your meds and has a good CD4 you just need to give PAP smear and doctor will advise you what to do next. High risk HPV lead to cancer mostly in 15 years, it is not so quickly and you can control the process.
Have a nice day
Want to make this world a better place for HIV positive people. <3

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:04:55 am »
Hi,

While your knowledge and insight is appreciated, you must be living with HIV to be a member and post in these forums.
Please introduce yourself before you post anything further.

Best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.