Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:00:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 607
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anyone struggled/struggling with a sex addiction while poz?  (Read 7752 times)

Offline MLSRiley

I'm pretty sure I'm a sex addict. I'm also pretty sure that's how I wound up in this mess with a poz status.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around this whole thing and being turned down for sex. Usually, if I offered to have sex with a guy, he'd be all about it, no questions asked. Not anymore. And it's a real shock to my self-esteem and I know how I'm taking all this is not mentally healthy, it's just...well, there's a lot of issues there.

I'm having to come to terms now that I had very little self-respect and self-esteem for myself, that I would hook up with strangers for anonymous (although almost 90% of the time, SAFE) sex.  Even though I don't regret my decision to transition (I'm trans by the way) the rejection and discrimination I constantly encountered, over time, started to wear on me, and I got very depressed and lonely. I guess I started thinking any attention, even sexual attention, was better than nothing. I let guys use and take advantage of me...several times. One of those times was a life altering mistake that has resulted in my now poz status.

It's just...even with all that, I can't stop. I still want and crave sex.  In fact, this guy that I actually am interested in, and want to see if something could develop between us, is even like "I'm not a machine. I can't do a 10k sex marathon". I think that's when it really hit me that I have a real problem here. I'm trying to be honest and upfront with people, but once I disclose I'm HIV+, that's it. It's over. End of discussion. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00.

Then, I'm left angry, irritable, still craving sex.  Anyone else struggle with this after their diagnosis and how did you handle it?

Offline irdo123

Re: Anyone struggled/struggling with a sex addiction while poz?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:19:36 pm »
This is tough.

If you are on meds, undetectable and only use condoms, do you really have to tell if it is only about sex? The risk for you to transmit with UD + condoms is so extremly small (best guess exactly 0?) that it is ridicoules.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:10:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I sure many will appreciate the input.
Just so we understand can you first tell us a bit more about yourself ?
Are you living with HIV ?

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:16:14 pm »
I can relate. I've been a sex addict for years. It tends to come and go, sometimes I am just a horndog for days on end and can have multiple partners over the span of a few days, and that can go on for a week or two or more. Then I'll have quiet periods in between where I don't have as much interest in sex. But then it will come back and I'll be bed hopping again! It's like I don't want or need to settle down with anyone either, I am totally happy being single, but just like the random sex sometimes, and then go on with my life as a single person. I keep that little slither of my life totally secret and discrete, being one person day to day, but a naughty naughty raunchy guy on the side.

Maybe it is a self esteem thing I don't know, but I can't really control it sometimes. There's no drug use at all or anything like that, just the periodic bursts of rabid sexual activity.

I relate it to my being poz, because about 15 years ago, when I first started being sexually active, I was being very promiscuous, sleeping with about anyone. I just had this almost rabid need for sex. It was being horny but it was more than that it was just this need to get laid like almost constantly. Maybe I was somehow and still am seeking affection I don't know..But I am not into cuddling or being very intimate, I just like the wham bam sex part. I became poz by just sleeping with whoever, and that's totally my responsibility, and a guy I slept with years ago told me he was poz, to his credit, and that's probably how I got it, from him. But who knows. Anyway, fast forward to today, I'd say the name of the game is if the sex thing is disrupting other areas of your life then it's a problem, if not, then probably not a huge deal.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline moonlight5

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:43:26 am »
I had a "sex addiction" but it was mostly a way to mask loneliness and a need for affection (subconsciously). Not very helpful I suppose. :-)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 07:32:14 pm »
I am a sex addict, romance addict, people pleaser, pot addict, alcohol addict, poppers addict and meth addict.  I have been clean for 21 months and 3 days.   3 weeks off caffiene and 21 months off cigarettes.  My sexual addiction fed off my meth addiction.  I have tried to use Sexually Compulsive Obsession Anonymous but I was still using drugs and alcohol and I just kept having sex.  Then I tried Crustal Meth Anonymous ( when Crystal Meth brought me to my knees) and it really help me ground myself  and gave me the tools to not only try to stay sober, but to mature mentally. 

I have read self-help books, but that only worked temporary.   Now I work the 12 Steps, have a Gratitude List, go to CMA (Crystal Meth Anonymous) meetings, go to SCA (Sexually Compulsive Anonymous) meetings, do service, hang with fellows and friends, take good care of myself by eating healthy and exercising, and have a Sponsor to guide me through the 12 Steps.  I use to want and try to get laid everyday or every hour, but now I do not feel I need that validation from beautiful or not so beautiful strangers or have the sex to feel love or less lonely.  I was a sex and drug addict for over 25 years and I thought that was the life even though it was killing me.  Now I am a recovering Sex...Drug addict and life is better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline LukasAtlPZ

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 12:32:23 pm »
I can relate. I've been a sex addict for years. It tends to come and go, sometimes I am just a horndog for days on end and can have multiple partners over the span of a few days, and that can go on for a week or two or more. Then I'll have quiet periods in between where I don't have as much interest in sex. But then it will come back and I'll be bed hopping again! It's like I don't want or need to settle down with anyone either, I am totally happy being single, but just like the random sex sometimes, and then go on with my life as a single person. I keep that little slither of my life totally secret and discrete, being one person day to day, but a naughty naughty raunchy guy on the side.

Maybe it is a self esteem thing I don't know, but I can't really control it sometimes. There's no drug use at all or anything like that, just the periodic bursts of rabid sexual activity.

Have you spoken with a mental health professional regarding this symptom?

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 08:06:15 pm »
I can certainly relate to a feeling of out-of-control addiction when it comes to sex.

In the past, when in a sexless marriage, I channelled this in a variety of dubious directions which is how I wound up here, ultimately. I went from meeting women, to being bi-curious with couples and then hooking up with fully bi couples and the odd guy, and enjoying it all along the way. The vast majority of this was safe, but not always. And it was always purely meeting for sex, nothing else.

Where i knew I had a problem was when I realised it was all about the set-up, the preparation, the anticipation and the chase. The act itself was fun, but I started to hate myself afterwards. It was never about intimacy, but when I was younger, meeting a girl and having sex gave me a warm glow for days, but this didn't.

It was also exasperated by casual recreational drug use. Weed would get me horny and was often used with swinging couples. Amphetamines (not meth, more dextro) would turn me into a raging sex fiend, where I could easily spend an entire day building up to some action at the expense of everything else. Unfortunately, it also stopped other things from working optimally which only fuelled the desire for certain more risky activities.

It probably reached it's peak around four years ago, which is where I think I picked up my little passenger. Oddly the marriage split (nothing to do with the above) didn't kick me into overdrive - rather it had the opposite effect. I had all the time in the world for this stuff if I wanted, but i chose other more mundane things (mostly).

I also built up a relationship with a wonderful girl, who I had known for many years previously. I can be far more honest with her than with anyone else previously, and she has a bi side which I have helped her explore also. She knows about my past and accepts it, but the fact she is far more sexually liberated than my ex wife makes the world of difference to me. She is also massively engaged in my whole HIV treatment, attends clinics and reads up on everything so she is fully informed (she is neg).

I'm aware that I may still slip into the urge from time to time, but I know have someone I can channel it through, and could potentially help me satiate any desire that may crop up. Obviously HIV impacts this, however ensuring that any play is safe play is paramount.

Being recently diagnosed (Jan), everything has been 1-on-1 with the gf so far, so the whole disclosure thing to others hasn't become an issue. I suspect that in a year or so, that may change and it will become a bigger challenge.

One odd thing I did find, and is contrary to the experience of many, is post diagnosis my sex drive didn't vanish. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing however!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.