Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:12:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773193
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 234
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2nd set of labs: viral load/ CD4 trend question.  (Read 3951 times)

Offline J220

2nd set of labs: viral load/ CD4 trend question.
« on: July 07, 2006, 06:24:19 pm »
So here are my labs so far:

March 2006           CD4 374      VL 290   

July 2006              CD4 325      VL 267

As you see both numbers went down slightly. My doctor told the assistant (I got the results from her, so I wouldn't have to wait unitl the 17th) that even with the small decrease in CD4 everything looks good, no need to consider meds at this time.

My main confusion is that when I went for the first labs, I could have sworn he told me my viral load was 33,000. I told this to the assistant who triple-checked the results and said, no, it was 290 and 267 respectively, so I guess that is good news if accurate. Does this VL sound right, with an approximate infection date of November '05? That aside, should I be concerned with the cd4 drop? Thanks. J.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:14:06 pm by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
Re: 2nd set of labs: viral load/ CD4 trend question.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 08:33:51 pm »
You should not be concerned with that 'drop' in CD4 count. It's only a small decrease and as CD4 varies from day to day, there is no way to see a trend there. As I said before it is the trend, and not the result that day, which matters.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline J220

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:08 pm »
Cool, thanks.

Initially I was dissapointed, because when I had the first set of labs done I had lost some 20 pounds (lost all apetite after learning diagnosis), and I assumed that now that I am eating normally again the cd4 number would be higher...but I guess not. At least it's not a real drop, as you say. The next (third) lab will give us a better idea, trendwise.

I guess I should be happy about the viral load? Is it common to see this low a number 5 months after the infection? Just curious, as all this is academic, of course, but I am trying to address my emotional perspective of all this. J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:22:09 am »
Is it common? No. Is it unheard of? No. Just check with your infectious disease doctor that the test results are correct - given this 30,000 vs 200s disconnect. That's actually a well controlled viremia, but you should look at the CD4 levels too as you can have low virus load and still lose CD4 cells.

I think the good people on this forum, such as Moffie and Joe, will be able to give you better tips on looking after yourself as I can't offer anything but conjecture while they can provide hands on 'food for thought'.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.