Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:21:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A possibility for me after AMG 07  (Read 14121 times)

Dan J.

A possibility for me after AMG 07
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:53:46 pm »
I resigned from the law firm on Aug. 31st. Working 38 hours a week drawing commission only just wasn't worth the time anymore, so I quit. They left the door open for me if I ever wanted to come back, so I feel good about that. Herman has asked me to consider coming over to Belgium for an extended period of time. I am not going to make plans to move there just yet, but it could be a possibility in the future though. I went to the social security website and found some information about continuing benefits while outside the U.S. Belgium is a country I can live in & still draw my check. I would have to have something to do there everyday. I don't know what that would be just yet.  I am going to check into  enrolling in a class to learn Dutch since I would be there. Most people speak English, but not all of them .& besides have you ever sat around a table of people speaking another lanquage? I could pick up on somethings, but most of the time  I felt like the dumb American. My family is  going to freak out when I tell them. I plan on going to San Francisco & then returning home to Jackson for a few weeks to take  care of some personal business & then plan on leaving for Belgium around the 10th of Oct. Why not, you only live once!

Dan
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 06:04:39 pm by Dan J. »

Offline emeraldize

Re: A possibility for me after AMG 07
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 06:04:35 pm »
Exxxxxxxxxxcellllllenttttttttttttt!

What else is there to say?

Emmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Dan J.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 06:05:30 pm »
I posted this in the wrong section! Silly me!

Hopefully one of the moderators will move this to living with.

Dan

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 06:09:59 pm »
GO FOR IT, Dan!
xxx,
Mike

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:03:07 pm »
I see Belgian Waffles in the future.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 07:05:06 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 07:16:06 pm »
And frites belges soaked in bear60's mayo cum sauce
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:10:07 am »
Well, Dan...your thread has moved.  Now let's see how it works out for you!

PS:  It never occured to me that a person could leave the country and still draw a check from the US. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:11:43 am by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:16:55 am »
Well, Dan...your thread has moved.  Now let's see how it works out for you!

PS:  It never occured to me that a person could leave the country and still draw a check from the US. 

Well, technically it's the same rules as would be in place for a non-disabled US citizen that retires overseas and collects SS.

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:46:51 am »
Good for you keep us posted. I used to live in Europe. Im sure you will have a blast  8)

Dan J.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:03:31 am »
I read this on the socialsecurity website:

Question
  If I leave the US, can I continue to receive benefits?

Answer
  If you are a United States citizen, you can travel or live in most foreign countries without affecting your eligibility for Social Security benefits.

However, there are a few countries—Cambodia, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam and many of the former U.S.S.R. republics (except Armenia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Russia)—where we cannot send Social Security checks.

If you are not a United States citizen, the law requires us to stop your payments after you have been outside the United States for six calendar months unless you meet one of several exceptions in the law which will permit you to continue receiving benefits abroad. These exceptions are based, for the most part, on your citizenship.

For example, if you are entitled to worker’s benefits and are a citizen of one of the many countries with which the United States has a reciprocal arrangement to pay each other’s citizens in another country, your Social Security benefits may continue after you leave the United States (see a list at Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States ).

If you work outside the United States, different rules apply in determining if you can get your benefit checks. Most people who are neither U.S. residents nor U.S. citizens will have 25.5 percent of their benefits withheld for federal income tax.

For more information about receiving benefits abroad, we recommend you read the booklet, Payments While You Are Outside the United States (Publication No.05-10137) from http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html

So according to this I can still draw my check every month.  Don't know if I would continue to have my check sent to my current bank account or have it sent there.  I could still access my account from Belgium, as far as I know, guess I should check into that. My biggest concern would be healtcare.  Heaven forbid if I get sick or something & I;m concerned about getting meds. There are so many things I need to check into, don't really know where to begin.

My parents are going to flip, they always do. I haven't even told them I quit the law firm yet! Thought they would kinda get the hint since I haven't actually worked in the last week! They never notice anything unless it's right in front of their face! LOL

Dan

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:21 am »
EEP!  Yes, by all means figure out the meds / healthcare thing before making any big plunges.

But I am still suprised to find out that the govt here would continue to pay out once one left the country, but I will admit I never really thought about it prior.  Not something on my horizon.

NOTE:  If there are any rich, handsome men reading who are out there in an exotic country that would like to treat me to a life of luxury and abandon, send a PM.    ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 01:19:15 am »
I'd say go with your heart and do it if it feels right.

If living there doesn't work out, you can always come back and you can chalk it up to a learning experience.

Good luck with your decision...
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 01:25:24 am »
Why not, you only live once!
Fuck yeah.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Jerry71

• Biktarvy CD4 637 04-17-18
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 02:01:41 am »
Go for it Dan. You are at the age you need to get away from your parents and move and enjoy your life with your new husband. :-*

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 03:50:19 am »
Fuck yeah.
(in response to "you only live once")

I completely second that... go for it!!!!! You made my day.

I am a foriegner in the Netherlands 3 years and before that somewhere else. My BF is staying here now but sooner or later we will have to move elsewhere, probably to Spain which is his home country. I know it will be difficult and I will have to learn another language and adjust to a new society but what the hell, it's so worth it when it's for the right person (especially when you have to move somewhere nice).
Also, you are not moving to some dump. I have been to where Herman lives (5 hours by car) and it's a really postcard pretty place as I am sure you know. A touristic place so you will get to meet foreigners too esp in the spring and summer, maybe work with them as well. Not far from Amsterdam & close to Brussels so you have at least 2 major int'l airports. Dutch beginners level is not so difficult as it may seem, I have a book+ CDs I can send you when you get here. There are lots of courses for foreigners here so I am sure they have them in Belguim, probably at the uni in his town. But you are right about the English, plenty of foreigners get by in the Netherlands/Belgium on crappy Dutch, they are used to us...

Just check you elligibility for healthcare there and that whole issue carefully. It differs from country to country so I don't know anything about Belgium but I am sure Herman knows the ropes.

Good luck with everything!
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline joemutt

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 04:08:25 am »
Yes, Dan, follow your heart or your heartforyou ;).

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 06:51:34 am »
I am going to check into  enrolling in a class to learn Dutch since I would be there. Most people speak English, but not all of them .& besides have you ever sat around a table of people speaking another lanquage? I could pick up on somethings, but most of the time  I felt like the dumb American.
Dan

My first husband's mother spoke very broken English.  She spoke Spanish.  Yes, I know what it feels like to not be able to communicate with someone because of a language barrier.  It's extremely frustrating.  I found that I eventually could understand most things, but I still couldn't carry on a conversation with someone.  I think it's a good idea to learn the language of where you might be living.  Sounds exciting really. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 08:33:08 am »
And now we're in Off Topic!

This thread certainly is travelling all over the map!

Maybe that's a good omen.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2007, 08:57:05 am »

Just check you elligibility for healthcare there and that whole issue carefully. It differs from country to country so I don't know anything about Belgium but I am sure Herman knows the ropes.

It's very similar across the whole EU, no need to worry too much. And Dan, if you don't like dutch, you can always speak french in Belgium. Bon voyage!  :-*

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 09:05:18 am »
Well Dan as you said "You only live once"!  That's absolutely true.  Go for it buddy.

RAB

Dan J.

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 11:44:47 am »
I just told my Father that I have resigned from Robisnon-Reagan & Young. That went better than I thought it would. Oh well, time to move on to the next chapter. AMG 07 & Belgium. Life is too short to worry about things like this. It isn't the end of something but the beginning of something bigger and better.  Can you believe I'm being OPTOMISTIC? That is a huge step for me!

Dan
(Who is ready for a new direction in his life)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 11:52:20 am »
AMG 07 & Belgium. Life is too short to worry about things like this. It isn't the end of something but the beginning of something bigger and better.  Can you believe I'm being OPTOMISTIC? That is a huge step for me!

Dan
(Who is ready for a new direction in his life)

Well stated! And in his own words, folks. Really sounds like you're ripe for some adventure, Dan.
xxx,
Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2007, 12:40:22 pm »

So according to this I can still draw my check every month.  Don't know if I would continue to have my check sent to my current bank account or have it sent there.  I could still access my account from Belgium, as far as I know, guess I should check into that. My biggest concern would be healtcare.  Heaven forbid if I get sick or something & I;m concerned about getting meds. There are so many things I need to check into, don't really know where to begin.

My parents are going to flip, they always do. I haven't even told them I quit the law firm yet! Thought they would kinda get the hint since I haven't actually worked in the last week! They never notice anything unless it's right in front of their face! LOL

Dan

Dan, if you're just planning on going for 3 months or something none of this is a big deal is it?  Past that point you'll probably have to sort out something, but if you can finagle your US doctor to authorizing refills I suppose you could have your parents mail your meds over.  Obviously you'd have to sort out some kind of doctor's visit and lab work over there.

I'd think in the first 3 months you'll have a better idea whether or not you'll be staying there anyway. 

Dan J.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2007, 12:47:23 pm »
I don't think staying for 3 months would be a problem. I can see Hermans doctor & can have bloodwork done through her.  Not sure if I can get 3 months of prescriptions filed at once or not with Medicare. Can you ?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:32 pm »
I don't think staying for 3 months would be a problem. I can see Hermans doctor & can have bloodwork done through her.  Not sure if I can get 3 months of prescriptions filed at once or not with Medicare. Can you ?

Yeah, I don't know myself as I get them done every month.  I use ADAP as a secondary insurer to my Medicare Part D and I don't think it's doable, but I don't know this for sure.  Don't you have a case manager to ask?

I think this is all a bit trickier than you think, and it's not like you're a newbie just popping one Atripla a day, no offense of course :)

Dan J.

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 01:14:17 pm »
I will ask at the pharmacy today when I get my meds filled. They should know.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 04:02:07 pm »
This is great, you only live once...get out there, explore.....

Where in Belgium?  French is also spoken in Belgium.  I was in Brussels for 2 month and I loved the city, great food and Gothic architecture.

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 04:06:55 pm »
Dan, you should practice eating a lot of mussels before you move too.

Dan J.

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 04:15:03 pm »
Hermie Pooh lives in Gent. I loved Brussells,  what  a beautiful city! & Brugge! OMG!!!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 06:06:43 pm »
William is jealous... I think we all knew how much you hated that job...  I am very happy you took that step away from a non-rewarding-unfullfilling-job (N.R.U.J.)..  Keep moving forward and think it all through which you are doing...   Have a great time at AMG Dan...  Hope you can put the breaks on just a tad to enjoy all of that..

Hugs,

Eric

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 06:17:59 pm »
I get my meds through the mail order pharmacies and they send three months worth for the same copay as one month...as far as I know all the major insurance plans including any covered under the Medicare system allow  , actually ,encourage this...  you need to get a new prescription and send it in to the designated  pharmacy.....
I envy your  extended stay in Belgium...I have loved the few  times I have been there....very friendly and cosmopolitan cities......spent most time in Brussels.....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline BriGuyNY,NY

• Looking on the bright side of life
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 08:42:34 pm »
hi, just a reminder. Belguim currency is now the EURO. The exchange rate SUCKS at present. Was in Greece in March, and the exchange was 1 USD=.65 euros, and I think it's dropped even further. Europe is very expensive to boot. You might want to check a currency exchange website frequently for fluctuations in the value. I hope this helps in your decision making
The strongest warrior, is the one who conquers himself....Aztec warrior

Dripping water hollows out a stone...Ovid

Offline Iggy

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 09:18:30 pm »
Dan,

As someone else who is picking up stakes and moving to be with the one he loves - I'm gonna be frank.

It is irrational and not the wise thing to do in a practical sense....and you know what else?

I say go for it!

I wish you and Hermie all the best and my hopes that it is the right move for you two!

CHEERS!

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 09:18:44 pm »
Dan: love, laugh, live! Go for it, you and Hermie deserve nothing but each other, go to him!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 09:39:08 pm »
Well well... there's just AIDSmeds hook-ups and relocation considerations popping up left and right seemingly.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 07:03:57 am »
Danny boy,

Go for it. Take it in your own hands ( what????) Live your life NOW.
That is what I have been doing and what I told you Danny.

You are the only one at the steering wheel of your life.
 I would love to have Dan with me and share intimacy in the first place..

Haven't we all, or most of us, been taught the harsh lesson of life?Tomorrow may never be...

I told Dan to check out all the necessary stuff  and get his fanny on a plane to Brussels.

We will start with a month or two and see. hey? taking chances in life is what mine is about...

love you all

Hermie
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:55:30 am by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 06:47:08 am »
Dan it's raining in Ghent...

I know you are desperately praying for some water in the SOUth.
Come over younder suga... it is wet and warm here...

Hermie  :-* :-* :-*
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 07:47:09 am »
Sounds Like a good plan . As everyone else said.  GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!.   Best of luck to ya'll.     Cristy

Dan J.

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 11:21:07 am »
I just can't muster up the courage to tell my family what I am planning to do.  The old folks just won't or can't understand. Either way their gonna freak out.

I love my dysfunctional family!

Dan J.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 02:32:19 pm »
Just say you're going away for a month for now... worry about extending it later.

Dan J.

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 02:44:36 pm »
I have job interviews lined up right until I leave for S.F. & an appointment with my new job placement councilor on the 18th @ 9:00 AM. If I really get out and "shake the bushes" I could have another part time job by the end of the month. I've never been a person that would go without being employed for a long period of time. I have a job interview today with another debt collections firm at 4:30. It's a part time skip tracing position. & another interview on Friday at the Honda dealer working in the business office. Ie: running errands (post office, court house, bank) & being the receptionsit.

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 02:57:23 pm »
I want to relocate  :( :( :(

Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.