Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:36:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 531
Total: 532

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: TB from Mantoux?  (Read 11461 times)

Offline permateen

TB from Mantoux?
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:08:31 pm »
I was recently told that I have TB. I have no symptoms, and have been nowhere near anyone infected. Has anyone heard of getting infected from the PPD test itself? Had immediate reaction to Mantoux test that did not change. HIV poz 20 years, haven't been sick since '94. Highest VL of 1600 in '95, undedectable since then.

Offline RapidRod

Re: TB from Mantoux?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:47:52 pm »
Have you been retested and had an Xray? Those tests are known for false positives.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:22 pm »
You can't get infected from a PPD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50:06 pm »
Hey Permateen,

Grinch is right. You can't get TB from a PPD. A positive PPD doesn't mean you have active TB necessarily.

It could be you have been exposed to someone who had it and you didn't know it. I know two people right now who had positive PPD tests.

Further tests showed one had dispersed TB, meaning he didn't have active TB in his lungs, but had been exposed at some time and the bacteria was living elsewhere in his body. He was required to complete nine months of treatment but is just right as rain today.

The other person had a positive PPD come back, but a chest X-ray showed no active infection. That person is now undergoing six months of treatment to ensure any TB in this person's system is eradicated, thereby preventing problems down the road.

Your doc should have ordered a chest X-ray immediately. If he/she didn't, you should find out why.

TB is a lot more prevalent that many people believe. That is why standard of care for HIV-positive people is to have a PPD annually.

By the way, once you have a positive PPD, you can never take the test again. It will always show up positive.

Let us know what you find out.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 04:56:45 pm »
My Dr. told me that too many mantoux tests can make you sensible to the test and give + results for infection with TB. Most nurses and Dr. have that problem.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Grinch

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 08:06:31 pm »
I have mandatory PPD's for work.  In 20+ years I have never tested positive.  I've also administered the test while working as a paramedic to Dr's and Nurses.  Again no one positive.

If you're positive or tested positive for TB you really need to speak with your Doc

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 12:16:44 pm »
My Dr. told me that too many mantoux tests can make you sensible to the test and give + results for infection with TB. Most nurses and Dr. have that problem.

I don't think that statement is accurate.  Repeating the skin test does not make one have a false positive.  There is actually a two-step test administered to health care personnel if one has not had a TB skin test for a long time because the test is prone to false negatives.  A positive test on the second step is interpreted as a positive result; not a false positive.

Offline LT

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 07:47:25 am »
I have no symptoms, and have been nowhere near anyone infected.

I doubt you can be sure you've NEVER been near anyone with TB.  For example, remember the recent news reports of the guy with multi-drug resistant TB who traveled from the US to Europe and back.

You could have contact with it in the grocery store, doctor's office, transit system . . .

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.