Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 02:20:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773460
  • Total Topics: 66367
  • Online Today: 380
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 273
Total: 273

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An on-going thread  (Read 328350 times)

Offline wolfter

Re: An on-going thread
« Reply #850 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:21 am »
Greg,

Did you try to increase your dose of Trazadone to 100mg as I mentioned? The max dose is 200mg so it may be worth a try. I'll repeat this again to you... I had insomnia too while on Isentress and my doc prescribed 50mg. I gave it two weeks and called him to up the dose to 100mg. It did the trick for a long period of time for me anyway.

I think your loss of appetite could also be related to lack of sleep. Just a guess. Ask your doctor.  :)

Not yet, I chose instead to add a 3rd glass of wine to my sleep ritual.  I've really have to get past this negative idea of taking these types of meds.

When I switched off the Isentress, I immediately started having a ravaging appetite and actually gained too much weight too quickly.  And now, it's back to where I don't feel hunger pains and therefore forget to eat.  So far, I've lost about 7 pounds so I won't address this until I get my ideal weight back.  Only about 7 lbs to go to achieve that.

This begs the question; Is there some component of Isentress that disturbs the ability to experience hunger pains?  I've not found a single link where anyone else has experienced it so it's probably just my uniqueness?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #851 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:29 am »
I've not noticed any change in my appetite,nor have I read
any place that to be a side affect. That doesn't mean anything though
everyone's different where side affects are concerned.
You do need to make sure to get enough sleep though.
I absolutely can't function on less than 8-9 hours.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #852 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:32 am »
I purchased a new mattress set last week thinking perhaps my old one might be part of the problem.  Think I might be replacing it already.  I've always purchased extra firm but this one just seems too stiff.  I moved to the couch last night and slept about 4 hours straight.  Perhaps I need to get one that's more plush.

I'll put this existing one in one of the guest rooms which might assist with guests not staying too long....lol

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #853 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:05 am »
Greg, lol.  I take Stribild now, and only sleep about 5 hours.  I wonder if some of it is aging with HIV.  Of course I can't ask my doctor; he doesn't know.  We can make educated guesses, can't we.  Maybe a combination of aging and menopause.  I know just having menopause can cause sleeplessness, as can aging.  What a fun combo to have (not)!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wolfter

« Reply #854 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:09 am »
Greg, lol.  I take Stribild now, and only sleep about 5 hours.  I wonder if some of it is aging with HIV.  Of course I can't ask my doctor; he doesn't know.  We can make educated guesses, can't we.  Maybe a combination of aging and menopause.  I know just having menopause can cause sleeplessness, as can aging.  What a fun combo to have (not)!

Betty

I think I'm too young to be suffering from menopause but perhaps these toxic drugs caused me to start early?   :o

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #855 on: April 13, 2015, 10:14:48 am »
Yes, Greg, I would say that is the case lol.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline wolfter

« Reply #856 on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:41 am »
OK, been lollygagging all morning to avoid doing anything productive.  But since one of my trucks is in a precarious place in my yard, I should address it.  I went to the lumber yard to purchase material for my new deck and had what I'll call a bout of good luck.  I noticed on the return trip that the brakes felt spongy.  When I turned onto my road the pedal went right to the floor.

By the time I reached my driveway, I had nothing.   :o  Luckily, the yard was so wet that it aided me in stopping.  I blew a wheel cylinder and lost all my brake fluid.  Thankfully it happened here instead of when I was in town on the busy highway. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #857 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »
Not yet, I chose instead to add a 3rd glass of wine to my sleep ritual.  I've really have to get past this negative idea of taking these types of meds.

Alcohol will only compound the issue of REM sleep. It may GET you to sleep but it won't keep you sleeping. You really do need to get past your phobia dear. I would bet you might be more open minded about Trazadone if you spoke to your doc OR the other Greg. lol.

This begs the question; Is there some component of Isentress that disturbs the ability to experience hunger pains?  I've not found a single link where anyone else has experienced it so it's probably just my uniqueness?

It might beg the question that your lack of sleep is the cause of your appetite loss. ;)

And YIKES about your truck brakes!

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #858 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »
Greg,

I second the use of Trazadone as a sleeping aid.  I've tried every sleeping pill and they all made me feel drunk the next morning.  Even half-doses, same effect.  Then I tried Trazadone... it really works.  The half life of the drug is 4 hours, so within 8 hours the entire dose is out of your system.  The difference I found is that Trazadone does not "put" you to sleep, rather it "allows" you to sleep.

You would also need to avoid excessive alcohol while using it and a delightful side effect, can be really nice wood.  It comes in various strengths, with max dose of 200mg.  I use 100mg tops and I get the best sleep.  I awake alert, refreshed and I don't need to take afternoon naps.

Joe

Offline mitch777

« Reply #859 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:23 pm »
Thank you Joe. Sometimes another voice of reason can help. Your experience is the same as my own. 

I'm not so sure about the wood but I doubt Greg ever had a problem with that! lol.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:50:35 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #860 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:56 pm »
Thank you Joe. Sometimes another voice of reason can help. Your experience is the same as my own. 

I'm not so sure about the wood but I doubt Greg ever had a problem with that! lol.

Mark,

With all the psych meds I take, I'll take all the help I can get in the lumber department.   ;)

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #861 on: April 13, 2015, 08:43:14 pm »
Trazodone is my friend .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #862 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »
I still have my prescription of them.  I think my doctor taught me a lesson.  He'll do whatever I want if I badger him.  Then he monitors my stupidity and acts.  :)  The older I get, the more I realize most people I know should take a mood stablizing substance.   If you google meigs county ohio and marijuana you'll discover why those boring ass family members sat in chairs and laughed for hours. 

OH, and if you can't tell, we had fire and drinks tonight.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #863 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:52 am »
OK, I've self medicated for the last 2 nights.  I have a 50mg prescription for Trazadone  but it's pretty much stockpiled now as I try to avoid taking them.  I upped it to 100mg and have slept pretty well both nights.  I slept  restfully for a full 6 hours last night.  Thanks all!

OH, and I actually need the antithesis of a wood assistance drug. 

And as I suspected, it almost has to be the Isentress that causes my extremity numbness.  The hands and arms aren't bad as they don't cause me to fall but simply drop shit.  But I'm having to be super careful with my jelly legs once again.  OH the joys of horrible resistance issues. :o

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #864 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:52 am »
OK, I've self medicated for the last 2 nights.  I have a 50mg prescription for Trazadone  but it's pretty much stockpiled now as I try to avoid taking them.  I upped it to 100mg and have slept pretty well both nights.  I slept  restfully for a full 6 hours last night.  Thanks all!

OH, and I actually need the antithesis of a wood assistance drug. 

And as I suspected, it almost has to be the Isentress that causes my extremity numbness.  The hands and arms aren't bad as they don't cause me to fall but simply drop shit.  But I'm having to be super careful with my jelly legs once again.  OH the joys of horrible resistance issues. :o

I have the jelly leg thing ... forgive me if you have already answered this but have you had an MRI or CT scan done of your spine ? My docs assure me my leg problems are disk related and I have an appointment on the 28 th to do more test to see what can be done about it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #865 on: April 15, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »
I have the jelly leg thing ... forgive me if you have already answered this but have you had an MRI or CT scan done of your spine ? My docs assure me my leg problems are disk related and I have an appointment on the 28 th to do more test to see what can be done about it .

More than I care to remember.  :)  With the ole crypto, all the testing procedures required poking, prodding, and taking pictures.  I'll respectfully disagree with my doc at my upcoming appointment as he thinks a lot of my residual issues are related to that horrific disease.

BUT....it totally stopped when I was off the Isentress and these issues returned fairly quickly after resuming it.  But if I'm correct and it's an affect of the medication then it's moot.  I'd rather be clumsy and continue to fall rather than ever again take norvir.  Twice now with the same horrid results.  Or maybe I simply didn't notice the issue as I slept half the day and was still too exhausted to do much?   :o

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #866 on: April 15, 2015, 07:42:46 pm »
More than I care to remember.  :)  With the ole crypto, all the testing procedures required poking, prodding, and taking pictures.  I'll respectfully disagree with my doc at my upcoming appointment as he thinks a lot of my residual issues are related to that horrific disease.

BUT....it totally stopped when I was off the Isentress and these issues returned fairly quickly after resuming it.  But if I'm correct and it's an affect of the medication then it's moot.  I'd rather be clumsy and continue to fall rather than ever again take norvir.  Twice now with the same horrid results.  Or maybe I simply didn't notice the issue as I slept half the day and was still too exhausted to do much?   :o

OMG … sounds like you might have aids or something . I sometimes feel just as in the dark about whats going on with my body after seeing doctors then I did before I went to see them .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #867 on: April 16, 2015, 03:31:44 am »
OMG … sounds like you might have aids or something . I sometimes feel just as in the dark about whats going on with my body after seeing doctors then I did before I went to see them .

I've got me vintage AIDS....circa 1986.  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #868 on: April 16, 2015, 06:31:26 pm »
I don't have a jelly leg but I have become more clumsy these past few years. When I saw my neurosurgeon he asked me if I had been having this going on. I said yes and he attributed it to the nerves being pressured in my neck. We shall see.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #869 on: April 18, 2015, 09:07:43 pm »
shout out to you all.  Read the forums for a while this evening and was devoting caringness and that stuff.  Is it just me and are LTS just worn and want to enjoy what we have left and instead of wallowing in what we've lost? 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #870 on: April 23, 2015, 03:04:22 am »
shout out to you all.  Read the forums for a while this evening and was devoting caringness and that stuff.  Is it just me and are LTS just worn and want to enjoy what we have left and instead of wallowing in what we've lost?

NOTE TO SELF:  "don't post buzzed in these forums as it's not like FB where you can delete your incoherent posts the next morning"  LOL 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #871 on: April 23, 2015, 07:11:18 am »
NOTE TO SELF:  "don't post buzzed in these forums as it's not like FB where you can delete your incoherent posts the next morning"  LOL 

Lol Greg.  There used to be a famed member who would post drunk all the time.  You could always tell because he would always cuss every other word.

So I went to the ortho's office a couple days ago and was told that though the bones seem to be healing, I sprained  my right foot.  I don't know if I did this working outside or cleaning inside lol.  Today it feels like I broke two fingers on my left hand.  Anyway...

Every toe except the big toe on my right foot, is turning under on the end.  The nurse practitioner said it's called "claw foot" and said the only way to fix it is to do surgery that would involve breaking them and putting pins in them.  I said "that's not happening." 

Betty

Offline wolfter

« Reply #872 on: April 23, 2015, 12:03:33 pm »
Betty, isn't that the same type of procedure that David recently had done?  I remember cringing reading his accounts of the procedure.

I've not seen Mark post any follow up so I'll have to call and check up on him.  I was thinking about him Tuesday when my new mower was delivered.  My 20+ year old Craftsman finally crapped out.  I had mentioned to him last Fall on the phone that I needed to wax my mower that he thought was hilarious for some reason.

Perhaps I'm just strange as I totally clean my mowers after each use and apply car wax to the entire thing including the underside.  I was laughing about it as I applied fresh wax to my brand new mower.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #873 on: April 23, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »
Perhaps I'm just strange as I totally clean my mowers after each use and apply car wax to the entire thing including the underside.  I was laughing about it as I applied fresh wax to my brand new mower.

You have entirely too much time on your hands...

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline wolfter

« Reply #874 on: April 23, 2015, 12:24:43 pm »

It's amazing how much time one actually has when only needing a couple of hours of sleep per day.  :)

On a side note, my 31 year old chevy truck is leaving me this weekend.  It's kinda strange as it is a reminder of happier times and I've had it all of my adult life.  Since I have a newer pickup and an SUV, it really is time to downsize as my driveway looks like a used car lot.  Plus all the taxes, tags and insurance!!!!

I gave it to a buddy that volunteers a lot around our post.  It still runs perfectly so at least it'll have a little life left.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #875 on: April 24, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »
Betty. Please stop that! You are running out of bones to break!! Also sorry about your toes. Geez, I would have thought that they could have taped them with some metal supports to prevent that from happening but what do I know. And now another sprained foot and possible broken fingers? Ugh, ugh, ugh.

Greg, the underside too? I would bet that your old mower went to the graveyard looking just like Joan Rivers.  ;)

This^.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #876 on: April 26, 2015, 11:04:47 am »

Greg, the underside too? I would bet that your old mower went to the graveyard looking just like Joan Rivers.  ;)

This^.

:)  We have a "junk guy" who drives around  collecting scrap metal.  I always contact him when I have anything that he can make a few bucks from.  He thought my Craftman mower was too new to scrap and said he might try fixing it.  I explained that it's over 20 years old and he didn't believe me at first.  I told him that it's probably the magnetto as it has no spark and I was simply ready for a new one.

There are several reasons why one should  wax the carriage.  It not only protects against rust but also aids in clean up.  Grass doesn't stick to it and clean up is much easier. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #877 on: April 26, 2015, 11:25:42 am »

There are several reasons why one should  wax the carriage.  It not only protects against rust but also aids in clean up.  Grass doesn't stick to it and clean up is much easier.

I only grow non-stick grass and my carriage has never rusted... well, at least not on my mower anyway. :)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #878 on: April 26, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »
I think my mower is non -stick ,
Big clumps fall off when I take it down the cellar stairs every Fall....
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #879 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:20 am »
I don't normally google symptoms and such after medical professionals can't find underlying causes of issues.  But after once again studying this "bulls eye" scar on the back of my calf, I got to thinking about past procedures.

About 15 years ago, I found a tick on my inner thigh while camping in Hocking Hills.  By the time I returned home I had the telltale signs of a Lyme infection.  Immediately met with my old doctor and a blood test confirmed my infection.  Was simply given a 7 day antibiotic treatment and we never addressed it again.

Perhaps because it was because he didn't know much about this infection, but there should always be follow up tests to verify that the treatment worked.  It's not uncommon to have to continue treatment beyond the initial period.  And it's now known that a week of antibiotics doesn't usually clear the infection.

After googling long terms symptoms, it was like "AHA" as it looked like it was pretty much describing every symptom I've experienced especially about vision fading in and out. 

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #880 on: April 29, 2015, 11:12:09 am »
Hey Wolfe ,
Your right, I always thought treatment was for several weeks.
Then a re test.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #881 on: April 30, 2015, 05:38:31 am »
God Greg, that sounds awful.  Please get to a good doctor and get it checked!

I think I may have broken something else in my right lower leg, possibly ankle.  Not sure, I'm going to wait and ice it today to see if the extreme pain and weakness goes away.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #882 on: May 01, 2015, 10:23:49 am »
Betty ,
I hope you haven't broken anything else !
You've been through so much. You should probably get to the hospital.

I have had numbness in my hands and feet the past few months.
Have read many of others posts about their neuropathy and the pain .
Wonder if this is in my future also.
Is this how it starts ?  Seems worse in the am.

I had a bout years ago while taking the old drugs, felt like my legs were in a vice .
The pain was horrible,
went away when,  if I remember correctly the videx was stopped .
Have not had any problems since.

My ID doc asked me if I've had any numbness or tingling a few weeks ago,
of course I said no . Stupid on my part, but I had bigger fish to fry that visit.
My arthritis has worsened in other joints and I wanted off Norvir.

Well enough of my bitchering , just wondering about the numbness.
Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #883 on: May 01, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »
Yep, I have another brake.  It's on the side, right above the ankle. The bone isn't completely through the skin, but it is poking the skin out.  So I'm wearing the moon boot. I'm so sick of this shit I don't even know what to do.  My nephew's wife has a shower tomorrow and my grandson has a birthday party Sunday.  I may not be able to get to either. 

Somebody give me some drugs!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #884 on: May 01, 2015, 06:10:43 pm »
:( ugh Betty -- I can't even keep up with how many times this has happened now
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #885 on: May 01, 2015, 07:43:04 pm »
:( ugh Betty -- I can't even keep up with how many times this has happened now

me neither.

I just get really annoyed when I constantly read quotes from you like this:

I don't know if I did this working outside or cleaning inside lol.  Today it feels like I broke two fingers on my left hand.  Anyway...

Betty

You are better than this and yet you continue to ignore your own body. You laugh it off as if you are in denial of the part you play in all of this mess.

I REALLY try to avoid being judgmental due to your pain but this has gone too far. I only say this because I love you dearly.

The Betty I know has the strength to listen to herself with reason even though times are as tough as nails. Doing otherwise in denial is a recipe for further pain.

You have described your history in great detail and I'm feeling like I'm losing you.

If I were in your shoes I don't know if I would do any better so please don't take my comments more than simply expressing my concern for you.

Please just put yourself as priority #1. Apply your oxygen mask on yourself before helping others.

:-* :-* :-*

Modified to add:

You have given me so much support since day one. My issues have been different than your own, usually minor in comparison and yet you clearly let me know that my issues count.  It is a rare thing these days for such compassion.

hugs,
m.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:17:54 pm by mitch777 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #886 on: May 02, 2015, 06:24:54 am »
Thanks Ms P and M.  M, I understand your frustration, but I have to live my life as normally as possible.  When I worked outside I was sitting down.  I don't run races, nor do any hard labor.  I offer my support to you because you're my friend and that's what friends do.  This latest break happened just like my other ones-from walking.  I'm still taking the osteoporosis med but results can take 6-9 months, unfortunately. 

I'm wearing the moon boot and trying to stay off of it as much as possible.  Today my nephew's wife is having a baby shower.  Tomorrow my grandson is having a birthday party.  If I can't get someone to drive me to the birthday thing I won't go since I can't drive with the moon boot on. My roommate is going to the shower, so she'll be driving today.

I don't like the breaks either, trust me.  They're tiring.  They're draining, not online physically but emotionally.  I can't do things I want and need to do.  I had just put my shower chair away and I had to get it back out.  But I suppose it could be a lot worse.

Betty

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #887 on: May 02, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »

ojo       Hello Betty, I'm sorry about all you have to go through, I haven't read the whole thread due to my eye issues, but, we have to keep fighting, it is what it is, we are still alive, and fighting for the people we loves us, it's worthy it keep fighting...hugs            ojo

Offline mitch777

« Reply #888 on: May 02, 2015, 06:57:39 pm »
Betty,

I think I came down a bit too hard on you. My apologies. Without knowing you are sitting while working outside it's hard for me to know unless you say so, same goes for housework although I find it hard to believe much can be done off of your feet. Maybe it's time to get into an assisted living arrangement to heal and give your bones a break (no pun intended).

I really have a tough time even imagining how frustrated you get yourself. The balancing act of trying to live as normal as a life you can while dealing with these constant broken bones is not something to sneeze at.

Thought of giving you a long overdue call tonight but somehow my memory popped into gear. Hope you have a great time at the shower.

:-*

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #889 on: May 02, 2015, 11:05:56 pm »
Hey Gang,

I thought I would drop a quick note to catch you up. While its been a bit stressful the past few months, the past week really decided to pile it on.

First, one of my clients, one whom I've known for 15 years, died suddenly last Sunday. Very unexpected, it was a suspected heart attack. He was doing great one day, dead the next. I haven't heard what the autopsy revealed as yet.

He was 20 days younger than me.  :o

His wife, also a client, isn't taking it too well. I have been helping the family with the funeral arrangements, etc.

UGH.

Then, April 30 and May 1, I attended the annual state HIV update. There was a lot of focus on Hep C and PREP this year.

There are some new things on the medication front.

There is a new combo pill combining Atazanavir (Reyataz) and Cobicicstat. So, those needing a PI-based regimen can now look at a single pill rather than having to take the PI and Norvir, which also should decrease gastrointestinal complications.

The new replacement, or should I say, reformulation of Tenofovir should be coming soon. It apparently works even better than the original. That should help those who have renal issues and breathe new life into the backbone combo pill Truvada.

The new guidelines detailing which meds are now considered first-line also has changed, and Atripla is now officially a second-line medication, as is Sustiva. The ongoing revelation of CNS side effects from Sustiva helped that relisting.

Now, integrase-inhibitor-based regimens such as Tivicay, Stribild and Triumeg are looked on most favorably.

There was quite a bit of discussion about cardiovascular side effects of Abacavir, since it has resurrected itself and is now one of the favored meds, especially for those with renal issues.
Yes, Abacavir dose convey some cardiovascular risks to those prone to those issues. But, how great a risk it is depends on the person's individual risk factors for heart problems, apparently.

I can't take it, I have the hypersensitivity to that medication.

This presentation was given by Dr. Joel Gallant, who used to be with Johns-Hopkins, but now is at Southwest Care Services in Santa Fe. He really is quite an interesting man.

There also was a presentation on LTS mental health. Nothing really new, but at least they are acknowledging that we do have some issues that should be recognized that are much different from those issues faced by the newbies.

Such issues as fatigue (in general), as well as pill fatigue, general depression, survivor's guilt and the overall sense of loss many of us feel, including the loss of a purpose in life now that the AIDS epidemic has been turned into a "chronic manageable condition."

Also brought up is the increasing rate of suicide among LTS's. Some are using direct methods, like a gun to the head, while others are simply stopping their meds and letting HIV take its course.

This seems to be a growing trend and is something that took some of the medical professionals by surprise.

I wasn't particularly surprised. I've had a couple of people choose to die in recent years.

Of course, the first night, several of us got together at the hotel bar at the end of the day and had a few cocktails. Well, more than a few.

Dirty martinis. Not my usual, and they went down way too smoothly. The only thing missing was our Wolfie.

Anyway, it has been a bit hectic and next week looks like another foray into chaos.

Guess we have to keep on putting one foot in front of the other.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:35:48 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #890 on: May 03, 2015, 10:10:18 am »
Damn Betty!  I so feel for all you're struggling with.  Hopefully your new bone drug will start working soon. 

best wishes dear.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #891 on: May 03, 2015, 10:19:01 am »

Dirty martinis. Not my usual, and they went down way too smoothly. The only thing missing was our Wolfie.

Anyway, it has been a bit hectic and next week looks like another foray into chaos.

Guess we have to keep on putting one foot in front of the other.

HUGS,

Mark

We must have been channeling each other as I also had a few dry martinis yesterday.  First ones in ages.  Probably since our lavendar martini afternoon in Seattle.

I have been exhausting myself beyond belief and finally made some changes at work that won't require me to be constantly working.  I'm a control freak and it's difficult for me to task things but I must.  I worked 21 hours straight yesterday.  We held a huge benefit yesterday and and I got there at 3:00 am.  There were so many activities that needed my precision.

We have our official summer reopening of our outside bar area today and I tasked a few people to get it ready.  I'm almost anxious wondering if it'll be done to my expectations.  So I'm purposely not going there until 2:00.  That gives me an hour to correct any issues.  ;)  We unofficially opened yesterday so a lot of the work is already done.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #892 on: May 03, 2015, 06:45:56 pm »
Mark,

First of all I am so sorry to hear of the loss of a client that you have known for so many years. I'm sure you are a great comfort to his wife.

To be honest, I would prefer to "go out" suddenly. It might not be much comfort to family or friends but a sudden death other than suicide would be my choice if I even had one.

Thanks for the great description of your conference! So many topics!

It was heartening to hear that the medical community is finally coming around to see what Sustiva can be capable in doing with some of our cognitive issues.

My doc also recently mentioned Triumeg as an option.

The "new and improved" Truvada sounds great!!! I also discussed this with my doc. My kidney function tests have crept up lately. I think this was the med he said was causing it. It gets confusing retaining all of this med talk at times in the docs office.

I love a dirty martini but one is my limit. Premium vodka and premium olives are a must. Then I move on to something more soothing to the tummy.

-----

So...
I'm on day 12 post surgery. My best description was that the first 3 days were pure misery, the next 3 days were "at least it's not pure misery", and going forward has been better almost every day. I am impressed with the progress and in another 6 weeks or so should be back to my "normal" self. Ha!

I take a valium at night as a muscle relaxer as my shoulder binds up but other than that all is improving. My left arm pain and numbness have pretty much disappeared and my headaches have been minor and not daily for the first time in over 4 years!  Of course I am still taking it easy and medicated to a point but all seems very encouraging at this juncture.

Offline weasel

« Reply #893 on: May 04, 2015, 09:34:40 am »

So...
I'm on day 12 post surgery. My best description was that the first 3 days were pure misery, the next 3 days were "at least it's not pure misery", and going forward has been better almost every day. I am impressed with the progress and in another 6 weeks or so should be back to my "normal" self. Ha!

I take a valium at night as a muscle relaxer as my shoulder binds up but other than that all is improving. My left arm pain and numbness have pretty much disappeared and my headaches have been minor and not daily for the first time in over 4 years!  Of course I am still taking it easy and medicated to a point but all seems very encouraging at this juncture.

I am so glad to hear this Mark !    It is very important to have ones head correctly attached    :)

Hopefully  you will feel like new very soon .   

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #894 on: May 19, 2015, 03:34:31 pm »
I spent and hour and 45 minutes of agony in an MRI/CT scan tomb today . I am on pain meds for another condition that has somewhat masked the pain I have had for years in my neck and spine and its getting so I just cant ignore it any more. There probably is nothing that can be done about it but I sometimes lose control and get jelly leg now so it was high time to assess the issues. I was in so much pain I just wanted to crawl out of the machine but I powered through anyway .

Im going to Palm Springs next month to see if I like it there and if so I will list my house to sell next spring for sell. I have loved living here in this house but I wont be able to keep up with the maintenance many more years and now is also the best time to get the most for this house and move on . I have been needing to shake things and up and start a new chapter in my life and I feel now is the time to do it .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #895 on: May 20, 2015, 08:09:23 am »
Jeff, that procedure torments me.  I always hyperventilate.  They now give me a mild sedative beforehand.  I'm not sure how heavier people deal with it as I feel so damn cramped.

Also, isn't the cost of living in CA outrageous?  Best of luck on whatever you decide. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #896 on: May 20, 2015, 08:18:14 am »
Jeff, that procedure torments me.  I always hyperventilate.  They now give me a mild sedative beforehand.  I'm not sure how heavier people deal with it as I feel so damn cramped.

Also, isn't the cost of living in CA outrageous?  Best of luck on whatever you decide. 

Oddly enough the condo prices in Palm Springs are dirt cheap for very nice condos. The water situation in California does not apply to PS as they have their own aquifer that are managed well and they do not share water with the rest of the state because its not economically feasible to pipe or move the water elsewhere . One of the biggest cost of living in PS California is electricity so you have to be careful where you buy .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #897 on: May 20, 2015, 06:32:06 pm »
Geez Jeff,

I have had my fair share of MRI's but have never spent more than 45 minutes in the tube. Ugh. You would think by now that they could at least find a way to make it more comfy like with high grade goose down or sumpin'.

Maybe you need some neck bone surgery. You already have the recipe.  :)

Ya, electricity is about the highest in the country (Connecticut isn't much better btw) and gas prices are also through the roof but there are ways to mitigate the high electric bills by signing up with the utility company to allow them to cut power to your home first if needed. It sounds awful but there are restrictions as to how long they can shut you off and it saves tons of money. As far as gasoline prices goes... who cares? Everything is within a few "mere" miles away.  ;)

I found the food prices comparable to here. Alcohol is cheaper. Cigarettes are very cheap but quitting is cheaper yet.  Realestate taxes are reasonable. Overall, it's not that bad.

Im going to Palm Springs next month to see if I like it there and if so I will list my house to sell next spring for sell. I have loved living here in this house but I wont be able to keep up with the maintenance many more years and now is also the best time to get the most for this house and move on . I have been needing to shake things and up and start a new chapter in my life and I feel now is the time to do it .   

Ditto.

I look SO forward to the change myself. Better to shake things up now while we are able. A new chapter. Yep.

Hope you have at least 5 places lined up to see on your visit to get a better feel about the town. Kenny and I did and it really helped. You can do it in one day, well, at least we did.

Meanwhile....

We are hard at work here getting things done on the house before we list it next spring. Kenny has been working on finishing up with the gingerbread and soffit work and I have been doing the prep work in our front hallway for painting project #1.

It's just the beginning of a long haul.

I'm not online much these days. I am pooped already! lol.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #898 on: May 20, 2015, 08:39:55 pm »
Hi Guys,
I've had so many MRIs I'm surprised I don't glow in the dark !
Jeff , I hope you don't need surgery too .

I think it's great you guys are shaking up your lives,
When we moved and it was like starting a new chapter as you said.
It was totally a new adventure and did my soul good.
We are very happy and have no regrets.

The bitch of it was moving , and sorting through 30 years of shit !
No place is perfect, enjoy the ride is what I say.
I have to keep the sea near, even if the climate is different I'm happy.
Go where your heart takes you, being scared and unsure
ends up being part of the fun !

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #899 on: May 20, 2015, 08:41:28 pm »
Hi Guys,
I've had so many MRIs I'm surprised I don't glow in the dark !
Jeff , I hope you don't need surgery too .

I think it's great you guys are shaking up your lives,
When we moved and it was like starting a new chapter as you said.
It was totally a new adventure and did my soul good.
We are very happy and have no regrets.

The bitch of it was moving , and sorting through 30 years of shit !
No place is perfect, enjoy the ride is what I say.
I have to keep the sea near, even if the climate is different I'm happy.
Go where your heart takes you, being scared and unsure
ends up being part of the fun !

Thats the spirit !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.